What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (1 Viewer)

So the best and highest paid player is in rehab after being suspended for 4 games, the backup backup OLB (who was now supposed to start thanks to many injuries) may be suspended for a game after it turns out he beat his wife 2 years ago, the standout 2nd year RB got cut after getting suspended for being a pothead and getting the munchies a whole lot, tons of injuries on the defense and O-line, and we aren't even to Week 3 in the Preseason.

Yeesh.

Ilov80s said:
Man is Tygod awesome. 
trying to figure this out...the Clay pass was a busted play and the Shady touchdown was incredible athleticism by McCoy....so was Tyrod's play actually very good or was it illusory?

trying to figure this out...the Clay pass was a busted play and the Shady touchdown was incredible athleticism by McCoy....so was Tyrod's play actually very good or was it illusory?
I'm not sure why the Clay pass being a busted play would be a negative. Wouldn't Tyrod being able to turn a busted play due to a blitz into a huge pass downfield actually be evidence that he is good?

I'm not sure why the Clay pass being a busted play would be a negative. Wouldn't Tyrod being able to turn a busted play due to a blitz into a huge pass downfield actually be evidence that he is good?
Not saying it was a negative....just that it was a trivial play for him to roll out and hit a wide open clay. 

and that TD to McCoy happend because McCoy snagged a bullet out of the air above his shoulders....because he's McCoy.

not ripping on Tyrod....just trying to evaluate whether or not he has really progressed or not.

DB racing from the blindside, Tyrod 360s and escapes breaking the DBs ankles. Then rolls out to his left and drops a dime down field. He had a nice throw on the run rolling right. His throw to McCoy was really nice as the defender had him pretty well covered. Tyrod put the ball in a spot where nobody but McCoy had a chance. 

I know Clay is pretty good and Shady is one of the best RBs but Tyrod was working with the worst WR group in the league. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure the Clay play was a busted play at all.  I don't think Clay improvised the route, he just continued it....he had an LB in man coverage.  Taylor evaded the rush and recognized the awful coverage.  Clay should be able to beat a LB deep 1-on-1 9 times out of 10 if there's no safety help over the top, and that's exactly what he did.

I'm not sure the Clay play was a busted play at all.  I don't think Clay improvised the route, he just continued it....he had an LB in man coverage.  Taylor evaded the rush and recognized the awful coverage.  Clay should be able to beat a LB deep 1-on-1 9 times out of 10 if there's no safety help over the top, and that's exactly what he did.
That's kind of my thinking too...

Either way, that's not a play too many QBs can make.

Basic broken play for receivers, at least from my experience of coaching youth football is that everyone rolls in the direction that the QB is rolling then go deep, but on this play, I believe Clay was the right TE, did a slant or post and just extended it.  Since this is the pros, I'm sure there are positions for players to get to if the play breaks down.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Why? He has a 4 game suspension. He is deep in the drug program. No one is goig to trade anything of value for him
That's why I said CONDITIONAL!!!   A team like the Pats who apparently have a bunch of no bodies running the ball while Lewis is going to miss at least the first 6 or so weeks of the season would be a good addition I feel.

That's why I said CONDITIONAL!!!   A team like the Pats who apparently have a bunch of no bodies running the ball while Lewis is going to miss at least the first 6 or so weeks of the season would be a good addition I feel.
I kind of doubt they could have got anything for him, too. And, I would be astonished if Whaley didn't call around.

I guess we'll see what the league consensus is after waiver claims are in.

No reason to trade for a guy about to sit for 4 weeks.  If the Bills actually believed they might get a pick for him, they would have carried him on-roster till his suspension was up, then dealt him.

Grigs Allmoon said:
Ugh... I was just starting to think about where he might land, because there's no doubt he'll be on another team. The Pats would make sense, and that would suck.

We might have to track his address and send him some brownies throughout the season.
Weed Brownies ?

Wish I had your continued optimism...........
I have that same optimism. The offense has the ability to put up some points this year. The OL hasn't been changed and while it wasn't good, hopefully another year with Kromer will get them playing to a decent level. There are some injuries and suspensions to our front 7, but our secondary has looked good. Darby was a surprise as a rookie and played great. Gilmore is looking excellent so far this pre-season, he wants that money. Graham is solid and while Aaron is out, Duke Williams has looked sharp and the light bulb has come on.

I'm not too optimistic about the front 7 right now. Hughes has looked great so far and Kyle is a reliable penetrator on the DL. Dareus is bound to come back, hopefully he is in shape and has his act together. Washington has looked good so far and some of the other guys have looked good at DT as well. Lawson may miss 1 game, but even then he's more of an edge setter than pass rusher. LB is going to be very weak for us. Preston Brown didn't have a great year 2 and Brandon Spikes looks really slow out there. Albright has actually looked good but it's hard to get too optimistic about a career journeyman who has been in the league for 10+ years. Zach Brown is great in coverage but has limitations in stopping the run (the opposite of Spikes).

Realistically, if the offense puts up points like they have the talent to do, and the secondary can play like they did last year, we should be in good shape. The big issues will be generating pressure and stopping the run. Hopefully Rex can use the scheme that he prioritized over the talent that he inherited to mask the deficiencies in this defense. The Bills were graded by PFF as one of the top teams through week 2 of the preseason. But that doesn't necessarily mean a thing, considering the Lions were 4-0 in the pre-season and then went 0-16 in the regular season.

I'm optimistic. Even if we get off to a slow start due to the suspensions and injuries, the season is not lost. The Chiefs started off 0-6 and finished 10-6. It can happen, although is highly unlikely.

I have that same optimism. The offense has the ability to put up some points this year. The OL hasn't been changed and while it wasn't good, hopefully another year with Kromer will get them playing to a decent level. There are some injuries and suspensions to our front 7, but our secondary has looked good. Darby was a surprise as a rookie and played great. Gilmore is looking excellent so far this pre-season, he wants that money. Graham is solid and while Aaron is out, Duke Williams has looked sharp and the light bulb has come on.
I've read this a few times, and I don't understand it.  They had the number one rushing offense last year.  Why do people think their OL wasn't any good?

On The Rocks said:
I've read this a few times, and I don't understand it.  They had the number one rushing offense last year.  Why do people think their OL wasn't any good?
Rushing is only one part of the equation, but they had the #1 rushing offense last year because their QBs had over 600 yds. rushing. If you look at rankings such as Football Outsiders, they weren't good last year (they had them 23rd).

On The Rocks said:

Rushing is only one part of the equation, but they had the #1 rushing offense last year because their QBs had over 600 yds. rushing. If you look at rankings such as Football Outsiders, they weren't good last year (they had them 23rd).
They have a very, very good left side with Glenn & Incognito and a underrated C in Wood but the right side is well below average.  The right side had a rookie guard and many injuries to contend with last year (including Henderson playing with Crohn's disease before it was diagnosed). IF the right side can be consistent and average, it will be a huge lift for the offense.

They have a very, very good left side with Glenn & Incognito and a underrated C in Wood but the right side is well below average.  The right side had a rookie guard and many injuries to contend with last year (including Henderson playing with Crohn's disease before it was diagnosed). IF the right side can be consistent and average, it will be a huge lift for the offense.
It's a bummer Kouandjio is so much better at LT than he is at RT.

So did the Bills decide that the way injury risk in the preseason is much higher than the value of preseason game action?

Most teams play their starters fairly extensively in the 3rd preseason game. The Bills sat a huge portion of their starting defense, a bunch of their starting offense, and ran just 2 series with the offensive starters that did play. Weird.

So did the Bills decide that the way injury risk in the preseason is much higher than the value of preseason game action?

Most teams play their starters fairly extensively in the 3rd preseason game. The Bills sat a huge portion of their starting defense, a bunch of their starting offense, and ran just 2 series with the offensive starters that did play. Weird.
Yeah, when I heard that in the pre-game, I was a bit surprised. Personally, what are the odds of getting hurt playing two quarters? Pretty low. By the sounds of things on the radio, they haven't sounded too sharp...

Just saw that hit by hall on Gragg. Illegal? No. Dirty and unnecessary in preseason? Yes. What an #####.

It's a shame too because Gragg had locked down the #2 TE spot. I really liked him in year.

Grigs Allmoon said:
Yeah, when I heard that in the pre-game, I was a bit surprised. Personally, what are the odds of getting hurt playing two quarters? Pretty low. By the sounds of things on the radio, they haven't sounded too sharp...
Don't you think all the inuries and suspensions played into it? I just think the importance of August play is way overstated and mostly a money grab by owners.

Don't you think all the inuries and suspensions played into it? I just think the importance of August play is way overstated and mostly a money grab by owners.
Yeah, the more I thought about it, the more I'm ok with Rex's decisions to bubble wrap the key guys. They already have a ton of injuries and managed to pile up more of them in that game. When you look around the league at all of the injuries that crop up in meaningless games, it seems silly to risk your best players much. I'll take a little rust over missing a huge chunk of the season.

Just saw that hit by hall on Gragg. Illegal? No. Dirty and unnecessary in preseason? Yes. What an #####.

It's a shame too because Gragg had locked down the #2 TE spot. I really liked him in year.
My real question is how that's a clean hit yet Lorenzo Alexander's sack of Cousins where he wrapped him up just below the waist is a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty.

Is it possible the Bills are on the leading edge of a new league trend instead of years behind?
It's possible. The other possibility is that they go into the season even more injury prone due to not being in "game shape."

I really think the lack of practice time at full speed has led to more injuries across the league these past few years.

Holy crap. They cut Lawson? He had a heck of game though, and we're thin on edge rushers. WTF?
He had a good game against backups. I'm not sure the reasoning behind this one since they're so light at LB right now. Perhaps it was a salary cap move. They also cut Felton but that doesn't save the team a ton of money (actually gives them a sizable dead money hit in the future).

Guess that means they're keeping Gronk though. He looked ok rushing the ball. Not sure about blocking.
Felton really didn't get utilized that much. Didn't seem to make much sense to keep him at his salary. I believe he was the highest paid FB in the league and didn't see much action. Gronk did okay running in the wishbone last night against the backups. He doesn't have the big frame needed at TE with Gragg going down. I'm guessing they like his flexibility and cheap salary.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with clearing space for a Gilmore extension.

Felton was partially $ related and partially because Rex likes him. Plus he has more special teams value and there's an off chance he can play some H-Back, something Felton wasn't going to be doing.

As for Lawson, I'm sure that was partially $ related as well, but I bet there's more to the domestic violence story and a suspension could be looming. Rex wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole though in his presser this afternoon so you know it's not just performance or money.

GroveDiesel said:
Felton was partially $ related and partially because Rex likes him. Plus he has more special teams value and there's an off chance he can play some H-Back, something Felton wasn't going to be doing.

As for Lawson, I'm sure that was partially $ related as well, but I bet there's more to the domestic violence story and a suspension could be looming. Rex wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole though in his presser this afternoon so you know it's not just performance or money.
If Rex won't talk, there's a reason for it. 

The Lawson cut had to be directly related to the domestic violence related suspension. They wouldn't just cut an experienced OLB without a severe issue & a domestic violence suspension is exactly that. I'm sure Pagula, Brandon, and Whaley are sick of all the bull#### and after the whole Ray Rice cluster, there is no way they want any part of something even close to that situation. 

I'll take the over on Vegas' 8 wins. Yes, the defense has some questions but I think it improves in Rex's 2nd season and the offense is even better then last season. The running game will stay top 5 (finished 1st overall) but I think passing game finishes top 10-15 as well. Roman is going to have a lot more trust in Tyrod & he is primed to have a breakout season. If the 2nd half was any indication, Taylor and Sammy Watkins are going to turn some heads (Watkins averaged 5.5 rec / 100 yards / 1 TD over final 8 games). 

So what's the RB situation looking like behind McCoy?
Jumbled mess from a fantasy perspective (if that's where you're going with the question).  How I see it:

- Mike Gillislee will be the "#2" RB and is the most likely direct fill-in for McCoy (ie he has a similar playstyle and they can call the same types of plays/schemes with Gillislee in the game that they can with McCoy).  Minimal fantasy impact absent a McCoy injury but could be a handcuff option.

- Reggie Bush will be a gadget player.  I expect them to line him up at WR, in the slot, pre-snap motions, etc.  May also return kicks/punts.  I wouldn't expect too much from a fantasy perspective outside of an occasional big play.  Far too inconsistent to really start him barring a McCoy injury.

- Jonathan WIlliams is the closest thing they have to Karlos WIlliams from last year.  Could vulture some TDs and be a change-of-pace back as he plays bigger and runs differently than the other 3.  I wouldn't expect anything quite like what Karlos did last year.

Reggie Bush is currently the #2 on the depth chart, with Gillislee #3 and Williams #4, for whatever that's worth.

Steve Tasker said:
Jumbled mess from a fantasy perspective (if that's where you're going with the question).  How I see it:

- Mike Gillislee will be the "#2" RB and is the most likely direct fill-in for McCoy (ie he has a similar playstyle and they can call the same types of plays/schemes with Gillislee in the game that they can with McCoy).  Minimal fantasy impact absent a McCoy injury but could be a handcuff option.

- Reggie Bush will be a gadget player.  I expect them to line him up at WR, in the slot, pre-snap motions, etc.  May also return kicks/punts.  I wouldn't expect too much from a fantasy perspective outside of an occasional big play.  Far too inconsistent to really start him barring a McCoy injury.

- Jonathan WIlliams is the closest thing they have to Karlos WIlliams from last year.  Could vulture some TDs and be a change-of-pace back as he plays bigger and runs differently than the other 3.  I wouldn't expect anything quite like what Karlos did last year.

Reggie Bush is currently the #2 on the depth chart, with Gillislee #3 and Williams #4, for whatever that's worth.
I have to put some stock in the depth chart, though. Have we forgotten that Bush does have talent & is more than capable?

I have to put some stock in the depth chart, though. Have we forgotten that Bush does have talent & is more than capable?
:shrug: he had 12 touches in 5 games with the Niners last year and is coming off an injury.  Gillislee came into camp as a little bit of an afterthought with the rest of these pieces - despite solid end-of-season performances last season - and quickly established himself as the #2 behind McCoy.  He was running with the 2s for most of camp before suffering a concussion in week 2 of the preseason and sitting out the last 2 games.

I expect Bush to be involved on offense and in the return game, but this same coaching staff did give Gillislee 24 carries in Week 17 against the Jets last year.  I have my doubts about whether they'd run Bush out there for 24 carries in a game if McCoy gets hurt.  Either way, I don't think either of them has much value unless McCoy goes down, unlike Karlos' play last year.  Bush is the home run threat and better receiving target, but if either of them is in line for 20+ carries in the event of a McCoy injury, I really think it's Gillislee.

FWIW, I don't play FF so don't take my comments as gospel.

I expect Bush to get some third down touches, but not too much unless Shady gets hurt as McCoy is a great third down back himself.

Bush will primarily be a returner. The Bills have said as much and he's well aware that that's why he was signed.

If McCoy went down, I'd expect Gillislee to start with Bush getting third downs and relief carries. But after week 8 or so I wouldn't be surprised to see Jonathon Williams take over the #2 role. It's something McCoy owners should pay close attention to.

Just my 2 cents.

If McCoy went down, I'd expect Gillislee to start with Bush getting third downs and relief carries. But after week 8 or so I wouldn't be surprised to see Jonathon Williams take over the #2 role. It's something McCoy owners should pay close attention to.
This is exactly my thoughts. Pretty much in line with what Mr. Tasker said, too.

Football season for sure, 29th in PFT's rankings, behind SF, Ahead of SD, Phi, Cleveland.

NFL.com 20 "analysts" not one put us as a Wildcard.

Not going to read anything Pete Prisco this year?

Users who are viewing this thread