What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (1 Viewer)

Thye have been communicating that they were testing Darby to see what he could do.

If the plan is to put Gilmore on the #2 (AJ this week) and double the #1 (Hilton) I believe they can cover long enough for the front four to do their thing.

I don't think Darby played awful and tend to agree somewhat with Rex that he was victimized by some very good, near perfect throws. There was a deep ball to Ted Ginn (I think?) that was placed perfectly by Cam. The TD by Benjamin wasn't a good play by Darby, but he was right there and just got out-jumped. The 2 INT game was nice, then I think he gave up that long pass from Vick to Wheaton or whoever. Overall I don't think he was "awful" for a rookie playing against some very fast or very big receivers. He was right there on just about every play, but needs to learn to get his head around in time to see the ball. I really think he's going to turn into a very good CB for the Bills.

Man, if you listened only to John Murphy, you'd think the Bills were an AFC playoff lock. I don't think I heard a single person predict less than 10 wins on the season on tonight's show from the ~hour I heard of it.

This is the most excited I've been since the start of the 2003 and 2008 seasons... which both ended just swimmingly for the Bills.

I'll step out a little and predict 10-6. So many new faces, and the absolutely key one (Taylor obviously) is just about a complete unknown. I'm mainly basing this call on the fact that this is clearly a better roster and staff than the guys who went 9-7 last year. Honestly though, 6 wins wouldn't be a shock, nor would 12.

I'm going to go with 10-6, as well. I think if they win one of the first two they'll be looking at 11 or 12 wins, though. (barring injuries)

I know I'm getting ahead of things, but if the Bills can figure out a way to slow down Gronk, I like their chances against the Pats. NE's run defense was awful Thursday night and their secondary got lit up pretty good too.

Rattle Brady a bit early with some early sacks, keep Gronk under control and control the ball on offense and that gamr is very winnable.

I know I'm getting ahead of things, but if the Bills can figure out a way to slow down Gronk, I like their chances against the Pats. NE's run defense was awful Thursday night and their secondary got lit up pretty good too.

Rattle Brady a bit early with some early sacks, keep Gronk under control and control the ball on offense and that gamr is very winnable.
I had the same thoughts after watching the first game. I told my wife I have as little concern playing the Pats as I've had since their run started. I'm not saying I think they'll win 1 or both games, but I don't think the Bills need nearly as many breaks, etc. to pull out a win.

What a game by this defense. It's scary to think what they were able to do to Luck without their best player in Dareus. They also lost Corey Graham on the very first play.

Ronald Darby stepped up big time in place of McKelvin and put to rest the fear that he wasn't ready to start. Kid was all over the place and had a big INT on Luck. He has tremendous speed & also showed he can play physical. I can't wait to see what this secondary can do when Leodis McKelvin returns from injury & Corey Graham is healthy. They are going to have one of the deepest units in the league from the looks of it.

Then you have Tyrod Taylor. How refreshing it is to not have to sweat about our QB play?? He looked great in his first career start & made some great throws. That 51 yard TD to Harvin was a gorgeous throw- it was perfectly placed and undefendable. His accuracy was very good with over 70% completion percentage. He was able to lead his receivers & set them up to make plays.

Karlos Williams is the reason they let FJax go- a lot of people trashed Whaley for that but it was the right call. I'd much rather have the 230lb Williams as our 2nd back. His TD was a great run and he showed off his speed to break away from the Colts D.

Not to pee in the fire here, but Tyrod still has some learning to do. Yes, he made some good throws, and yes, he wasn't a run-first gazelle.

But -

1. He did tend to run before he had to. There were times where he gave up on the play too soon, imo.

2. OMG learn to slide. This is the NFL, not the ACC. If he breaks a leg trying to get a measly extra yard, we're stuck with Matt "2 yard completion" Cassell and another season with no playoffs.

If I only ever go to one Bills home game, man did I pick a great one. Going up 24-0 in convincing fashion was a storybook start. The crowd was jacked up from the beginning, and everybody was on cloud nine from the last fg on. Awesome experience and I'm glad my son got to experience that.
We basically didn't sit down for the entire game, offense or defense. Great atmosphere yesterday. Only thing that could've been better was some nicer weather.

What a fantastic game. This team can beat anyone, home or away I don't care. Rodgers last year (with Orton) and now Luck. It'll be interesting to see how they play against better defenses, particularly in our own division. The run blocking was a struggle for most of the 1st half, which didn't really worry me as the Bills were winning handily. It was nice to see that improve through the 2nd half though as they seemed to wear down the Colts D-line.

I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited and genuinely confident about the team's chances. Maybe in 2003 when they shut out the Patriots. This team arguably has a lot more talent than that squad did.

Yesterday Taylor had the 5th highest QBR of any Bills QB over the last decade. Nasty defense.

Longest playoff drought in the league ends this year.

It was Tyrod. Karlos's was 26 yards.

Double edged stat though: Great to have a QB that can do that, but that one 41 yard scramble made the rushing stats look a lot better than they really were.

Double edged stat though: Great to have a QB that can do that, but that one 41 yard scramble made the rushing stats look a lot better than they really were.
Yeah, Karlos TD was only 26 yds. Tyrod's was 31, he finished with 41 total rushing yds. Still the longest of the day in the NFL?

Yeah, Karlos TD was only 26 yds. Tyrod's was 31, he finished with 41 total rushing yds. Still the longest of the day in the NFL?
Yeah, just a typo by me. It was 31 yards and the longest of Week 1 to this point.

They said on WGR this morning that not only was Taylor not sacked, the Colts actually didn't register a single "QB hit". Not sure how that's determined but not a bad stat for the OL. I was pretty sure Tyrod took a hit on that nice out to Woods in the second half but maybe not?

They said on WGR this morning that not only was Taylor not sacked, the Colts actually didn't register a single "QB hit". Not sure how that's determined but not a bad stat for the OL. I was pretty sure Tyrod took a hit on that nice out to Woods in the second half but maybe not?
that's a stat in the NFL gamebooks

Colts had 8 tackles for loss, but no sacks or QB hits. Taylor is slippery.

EDIT: Per PFF, the Colts had 2 QB hits and 10 QB hurries.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been this excited about a Bills-Pats matchup since Lawyer Milloy defected to Buffalo right before Week 1.

Not entirely Bills-related, but as a note for the native Buffalonians in this thread, I wanted to say how much my son and I enjoyed our visit. We flew in early Friday afternoon and went to Niagra Falls for a couple of hours, then hit Duffs near the airport for supper. We watched soccer in our room on Saturday morning, then did the mall -- every place selling Bills gear was packed -- and did Anchor Bar in the evening. Game day traffic in and especially out of the Ralph was tedious compared to other stadiums I've been to, but really who cares given how much fun the game was. We decided to go to Duffs again last night, and flew out this morning. I found Buffalo extremely easy to navigate. The area around Anchor Bar was pretty sketchy. Otherwise, the atmosphere everywhere we went was really up-beat. Home weekends are obviously a big deal for the city.

In terms of the stadium experience, I'm obviously biased, but it was first-rate. I've been to a bunch of Colts home games at what used to be the Hoosier Dome back in the Jeff George / Jim Harbaugh era -- no tailgating, the sterile atmosphere of a dome, and a crowd that shows up quietly, takes their seats politely, and leaves early to beat traffic. Minnesota has a crowd full of Minnesotans, and while the Vikings are beloved locally, they just aren't as big a deal to the twin cities as the Bills are to Buffalo. Kansas City is light-years better, but the only stadium I've visited that I would say was really directly comparable was Soldier Field (say a Todd Collins loss there back in grad school). Still, I loved that people were still singing Shout on their way out of the parking lot after the game. Actually, people were singing in the pisser at halftime, which was a new one for me. Great place. You guys are lucky.

I really wish I could go to the game this weekend. It's going to be insane. Win or lose, I feel sorry for any Pats fans that go to the game.

flysack said:
I haven't been this excited about a Bills-Pats matchup since Lawyer Milloy defected to Buffalo right before Week 1.
I totally agree. However, due to how good the Bills looked in week one, I'll bet the Pats pull out the next form of cheating from their bag of 'tricks'.

IvanKaramazov said:
Not entirely Bills-related, but as a note for the native Buffalonians in this thread, I wanted to say how much my son and I enjoyed our visit. We flew in early Friday afternoon and went to Niagra Falls for a couple of hours, then hit Duffs near the airport for supper. We watched soccer in our room on Saturday morning, then did the mall -- every place selling Bills gear was packed -- and did Anchor Bar in the evening. Game day traffic in and especially out of the Ralph was tedious compared to other stadiums I've been to, but really who cares given how much fun the game was. We decided to go to Duffs again last night, and flew out this morning. I found Buffalo extremely easy to navigate. The area around Anchor Bar was pretty sketchy. Otherwise, the atmosphere everywhere we went was really up-beat. Home weekends are obviously a big deal for the city.

In terms of the stadium experience, I'm obviously biased, but it was first-rate. I've been to a bunch of Colts home games at what used to be the Hoosier Dome back in the Jeff George / Jim Harbaugh era -- no tailgating, the sterile atmosphere of a dome, and a crowd that shows up quietly, takes their seats politely, and leaves early to beat traffic. Minnesota has a crowd full of Minnesotans, and while the Vikings are beloved locally, they just aren't as big a deal to the twin cities as the Bills are to Buffalo. Kansas City is light-years better, but the only stadium I've visited that I would say was really directly comparable was Soldier Field (say a Todd Collins loss there back in grad school). Still, I loved that people were still singing Shout on their way out of the parking lot after the game. Actually, people were singing in the pisser at halftime, which was a new one for me. Great place. You guys are lucky.
you aren't kidding. Colts games at that old dome were awful.

The Ralph is a great place to see a game. Tailgating helps make it extra awesome.

So much more fun when the team is actually winning too.

Interestingly, PFF ranked Incognito as the Bills top player Week 1.

Link
Rex had high praise for him yesterday as well, as did several beat writers.

But I'll be honest, I think PFF has started mailing it in with their ratings as well. It boggles my mind that they did complete ratings before the All-22 was even out. How do NFL teams take it seriously when PFF is rating receivers and secondaries without even being able to see everything that happened?

IvanKaramazov said:

:thumbup: I actually noticed a certain buzz in the city this weekend. I think there were quite a few out-of-towners there to take in the game, lots of Bills gear all around town all weekend. You definitely picked a good one to go to.

Traffic was worse than usual for me for some reason, too. For some reason, people don't realize that Abbott is 4 lanes going north. Ignore the lines on the road, people...the cones are there for a reason. I've been driving to Bills games since 2004 and it has always been the same....4 lanes southbound/1 lane northbound pregame, 4 lanes northbound/1 lane southbound postgame. Get with the program, folks.

Users who are viewing this thread