What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (1 Viewer)

Thank goodness. Byrd has signed his one year tender. This gives him a couple of weeks to get in shape and get comfortable with the new defense.

IMO, this reduces his chance of injury from coming back right before the season and gives the Bills a chance to make their secondary really gel.

I do hope Byrd gets paid this off season and it's the Bills that do it.

Thank goodness. Byrd has signed his one year tender. This gives him a couple of weeks to get in shape and get comfortable with the new defense.

IMO, this reduces his chance of injury from coming back right before the season and gives the Bills a chance to make their secondary really gel.

I do hope Byrd gets paid this off season and it's the Bills that do it.
Good news, indeed,

Hoping EJ is healthy in two weeks, they announce him a GTD best case scenario
I almost hope he doesn't play week one... Let Kolb go out there against the Pats, as they get slapped around a bit. Then let EJ start fresh in a very winnable game against Carolina.
And I thought I was a pessimist...7pt underdogs aren't supposed to be surefire losers in the NFL. If they're ever going to beat them between now and Brady's retirement, Week 1 at home w/out Gronk would seem like a good time to do it.

I almost hope he doesn't play week one... Let Kolb go out there against the Pats, as they get slapped around a bit. Then let EJ start fresh in a very winnable game against Carolina.
And I thought I was a pessimist...7pt underdogs aren't supposed to be surefire losers in the NFL. If they're ever going to beat them between now and Brady's retirement, Week 1 at home w/out Gronk would seem like a good time to do it.
EJ wouldn't be playing against Gronk and Brady - he'd be matching up against Belicheck's mad blitz and coverage schemes. I'd much rather see a 95% healthy EJ watching & learning from that on the sidelines.

EJ wouldn't be playing against Gronk and Brady - he'd be matching up against Belicheck's mad blitz and coverage schemes. I'd much rather see a 95% healthy EJ watching & learning from that on the sidelines.
That's right he's not playing against the side of the ball NE is good at. Sounds like a super reason to sit him.

Lindell is a classy guy. Wishing the best for him. Glad he got signed so soon (which is why I imagine the Bills let him go as early as they did)

If Manuel can play he should. Week one at home vs NE, loud crowd, NE doesn't have much info on our offense, Manuel for that matter. It's the perfect time to start the era

Posted this in the Goodwin thread but thought it deserves to be here too. It's Goodwin destroying a DB by throwing a block in college. Shows that he is much more than a track guy. Dude is the real deal IMO.

https://t.co/ARfmbcmCEk
Yeah, I heard early on that he was a tenacious blocker. (Woods is pretty good in that area, too.)

Curious to see how this thing with Byrd pans out. I can't imagine they could actually work a trade this late in the season. (Nor do I want them to trade him.) I wish he'd just be happy being one of the top 5 paid Safeties. He's definitely not the best in the league.

The Bills just signed Matt Leinhart (sorry, no link).

I love this move. To me, Leinhart always seemed like a good QB who who caught every bad break that could happen. He plays reasonable well as Warner's backup, but when Warner retires, Wisenhunt (who didn't draft him) cuts Leinhart in preseason.

He goes to Houston to back up Shaub. Shaub gets hurt and Leinhart comes in and lights it up for 2 quarters....then breaks (was it his leg?) something and is out for the season.

Then he has to sign with the Raiders where he was probably LUCKY not to see the field.

Here's to hoping he picks up the offense well enough in 2 weeks to start the season as Manuel's backup. I like him a hell of a lot better than Kolb, who should be cut IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the plus side, Ian Rapaport is reporting that Manuel is on pace to be back and start Week 1. So there's that.

Meh, Leinart is just another journeyman backup. If not for his USC pedigree and high draft status, he'd probably be out of the league by now. He's had 3 season-ending injuries, his career TD/INT ratio is 0.7, and his record as a starter is something like 8-10.

I don't really think he'll be much worse than Kolb (I was very, very low on Kolb to begin with; honestly, I think Fitz is better than Kolb and have said so on a number of occasions), but there's a reason Matt Leinart wasn't even on a team.

The Bills definitely need a veteran QB on the roster to start the season. The rookie QBs have been saying all camp that Kolb has been the go-between between them and the coaches, helping to decipher the meetings, film study, etc., and basically showing the 2 rookies how to become pros. As bad as he may have been on the field, it sounds like he was doing everything right in the locker room. If Kolb's injury is career-threatening (very sad if true), we'd all better hope Matt Leinart is able to fill this same role.

If this is about Gilmore being out for 8 weeks, yeah, I agree. Just kill me now.Unbelievable. Gilmore was the one guy more than any other that the defense absolutely couldn't afford to lose. The CBs are going to be the worst in the league by far.

Being a Bills fan is like being kicked in the stomach over and over again. They didn't even wait until the season started this year to do it.

If this is about Gilmore being out for 8 weeks, yeah, I agree. Just kill me now.Unbelievable. Gilmore was the one guy more than any other that the defense absolutely couldn't afford to lose. The CBs are going to be the worst in the league by far.

Being a Bills fan is like being kicked in the stomach over and over again. They didn't even wait until the season started this year to do it.
Yes it was. It's unbelievable what's going on. Losing him for any amount of time is going to hurt us. He might be the best and most important player we have. We don't even have a legit #2. We might be in trouble.

I'm actually not that mad about Kolb. I never liked him. Would rather see what we have in Manual for a full season. That way if he turns out to be terrible and we have a top pick we can take a look at some of these QB's out there that might be for real. I really didn't want to let go of Rogers. I thought the Bills would know he might need some time coming from the small school but apparently we didn't want to be patient with him. Someone will grab him and he has a chance to be a good player. Who knows though. Maybe he slips through to our practice squad.

Good grief. I wonder, if after Brady, and Steve Smith torch our CBs, if Gilmore cold play with a cast. Him playing with one hand would be better that the alternative, I would think...

I'm hoping the Bills grab some veteran CB that ends up cut. It's their only chance to compete defensively IMO. Is Terrance McGee still out there? I'd rather them bring him back for one more go around than watch McKelvin fumble his way around. I still think they screwed up in not keeping Drayton Florence for one more year.

Oh man. According to Marrone, the plan right now is for Tuel to start Week 1. They're "hopeful" on Manuel but want a full week of practice for whomever starts.

And Gilmore is confirmed out 6-8 weeks. He needs surgery on his broken wrist. Bills will not put him on the IR/Designated to return list.

Oh man. According to Marrone, the plan right now is for Them to start Week 1. They're "hopeful" on Manuel but want a full week of practice for whomever starts.

And Gilmore is confirmed out 6-8 weeks. He needs surgery on his broken wrist. Bills will not put him on the IR/Designated to return list.
Them = Tuel?

I'm actually not that mad about Kolb. I never liked him.
I don't think anyone is particularly upset that Kolb won't be in the mix for the starting QB job, but man it's hard to read some of the comments about his concussion. Just awful, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Regardless, whether it be with Kolb or Gilmore or otherwise, injuries are part of the game. Can't complain about them...gotta hope the Bills have the depth to get past it. I don't really think they do, though. I'm already having nightmares about Brady picking apart the Bills in week 1 and winging it to like 5 guys I've never even heard of who all end up looking like Troy Brown in his prime.

I'm actually not that mad about Kolb. I never liked him.
I don't think anyone is particularly upset that Kolb won't be in the mix for the starting QB job, but man it's hard to read some of the comments about his concussion. Just awful, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.Regardless, whether it be with Kolb or Gilmore or otherwise, injuries are part of the game. Can't complain about them...gotta hope the Bills have the depth to get past it. I don't really think they do, though. I'm already having nightmares about Brady picking apart the Bills in week 1 and winging it to like 5 guys I've never even heard of who all end up looking like Troy Brown in his prime.
Well, I think any team is screwed when they're down to their #3 QB before the season even starts.

And depth is certainly a problem for the Bills. It's just doubly unfortunate precisely because it happened at their most shallow position on the roster. Losing a guy that probably would be a top 5 CB in the league hurts a lot already. Losing him when the rest of your CBs suck eggs hurts even more. If they lost Mario Williams this year for 6-8 weeks it wouldn't hurt nearly as much as this because they do actually have some depth at the rush LBer spot now.

If you asked me a month ago who the 2 most crucial guys were that they couldn't afford to see hurt, I would have said Gilmore and Spiller. I doubt I would have even anticipated a scenario where both Manuel and Kolb were hurt.

Oh man. According to Marrone, the plan right now is for Tuel to start Week 1. They're "hopeful" on Manuel but want a full week of practice for whomever starts.

Any observations on Tuel? Didn't he do pretty well in preseason?
He looked very good in the first game, good in the second, then awful all last week in practice and pretty bad in this past week's preseason game. Playing against the 1s is a lot different than playing against the 3s and 4s.

If Jeff Tuel starts Week 1, it will be the first time in NFL history that an UDFA rookie QB started Week 1.

See? Buffalo has the chance to break NFL records already!

SaintsInDome2006 said:
GroveDiesel said:

Any observations on Tuel? Didn't he do pretty well in preseason?
Turl Time. Everything you wanted to know about the Tuel.

Tuel Time is movie up the fantasy team name charts with a bullet right now...

Acccording to yahoo he didn't have a page on wikipedia until like 4 hours ago.

Good luck Bills fans - maybe you have the next heartwarming movie in the making :) Heck the Rams did it with a grocery bagger.

-QG

I kinda feel sorry for him to open against the Patriots (although their defense has not been so hot lately I'm sure BB can cook something up specifically for Tuel - he'll probably get the snot beat out of him), then only to be sat down the next week when the franchise QB is back again.

On the other hand he gets to open the season in the NFL at home field.

Hope he does alright.

What I hope happens: EJ practices September 1st once the closed practices and media portions start. "Limited" Nobody will know, EJ a game time decision and the Ralph would be rocking when they announce him starting hours prior to kickoff or night prior.

Pessimistic Bills fan: Tuel starts, EJ probably could have played but, Russ Brandon says hey we have been advertising like crazy to sell out the second game and still haven't. Lets play him then. (Just being pessimistic, but nothing shocks them with me)

Not sure if anyone was listening to WGR last week, but someone in the afternoon (think it was Bulldog, may have been Schopp, not 100% sure) was talking about how the two of them + Joe B were at Fisher during the day, off-air, not in a "public" setting, just hanging out - Manuel was being driven around in a Gator, fully on crutches and not putting any weight on the leg.

It's encouraging that Marrone is saying that he's progressing and moving again, but if he was not even using the leg at all just last week, it's hard for me to envision him being ready on 9/8. Honestly, I hate writing off a season so soon, but I'd rather they play it extra cautious and give him the time he needs to ensure he is 100% good to go. The last thing I want to see is to have the Bills rush him back and have him get injured worse because he's not healed. Let him rest and study film, throw Tuel into the fire and take his lumps, and get EJ in there when he's ready. It'll be brutal in the short-term for us fans, but it might well be the best thing for the team in the long-term.

I was listening, they said no weight on his leg for 48 hours after surgery. I believe they even said that prior to surgery as well. He was on crutches and resting and being brought the playbook. Today they said he was on the field but not really specific which makes me believe they are hiding what he's doing and will next week too. He posted a picture of him playing video games the other day and his leg was propped up resting. If it was a simple knee drain there is no reason why he shouldn't be able to practice full go come first week of September 2nd (would be two weeks) Opener would be 3 weeks removed.

DaRick Rogers cleared waivers. Does that mean we can put him on the practice squad now if we wanted to or is he just a free agent without a job?

Users who are viewing this thread