What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (3 Viewers)

Wait.....how is this better than a high school gym?
Local parking lots get to up their fee for a day?  Maybe the gear shops will be open to sell some team merch?

During a normal year it might make sense to open up the Charlotte arena for voting so the Wells Fargo executives can stroll over at lunch, but many of the nearby offices are now at minimum capacity with WFH.  LOL when voting officials close smaller local polls so everyone has to take public transportation to the arena 10 miles away.

Local parking lots get to up their fee for a day?  Maybe the gear shops will be open to sell some team merch?

During a normal year it might make sense to open up the Charlotte arena for voting so the Wells Fargo executives can stroll over at lunch, but many of the nearby offices are now at minimum capacity with WFH.  LOL when voting officials close smaller local polls so everyone has to take public transportation to the arena 10 miles away.
You have a point.  With all the fuss about mailboxes being moved a block over and the inconvenience it causes them, this would be more.  

So (not so) cool story from today:

Me: Dad, the NBA is on again, you want to watch some of the game?

Dad: No!  I'm done with them and Major League baseball.  I won't watch another game after all of this protesting crap.  I'm sick of it.

Me: :mellow:

My dad has never expressed any racism in my lifetime.  He is a kind man, but is 65 and can probably count on one hand the number of black people he has actually spent quality time with. 

I think he basically just doesn't get it.  We were hanging out with my two young kids, so I didnt want to confront him at that moment, but really wanted to talk to him about it.  I'm sure there is some grumpy old man, "they get paid millions of dollars to play a game," sentiment there, but it seemed like a bit more than that.

Dad: No!  I'm done with them and Major League baseball.  I won't watch another game after all of this protesting crap.  I'm sick of it.

My dad has never expressed any racism in my lifetime.  He is a kind man, but is 65 and can probably count on one hand the number of black people he has actually spent quality time with. 

I think he basically just doesn't get it.  We were hanging out with my two young kids, so I didnt want to confront him at that moment, but really wanted to talk to him about it.  I'm sure there is some grumpy old man, "they get paid millions of dollars to play a game," sentiment there, but it seemed like a bit more than that.
I guess I'm with your Dad, because this seems like classic liberal "you disagree ergo you are racist and I need say nothing else because I pulled the racist card yo!" logic.  So please help me to understand the racism in his attitude.

Or maybe he is just an old man who just wants to enjoy sports in his later years without being lectured at. Heck, a co-worker who is pretty left-leaning and very much in favor of the protests is sick of it being attached to sports and stunned me with his "#### sports" take the other day, so I think it is very unfair to assume that anyone turned off by sports now because of this is racist in any way. That kind of narrative is shameful and ignores the fact that there is a lot of nuance to these matters at hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mean to insinuate that I thought my dad was racist at all.  He is just not understanding the sentiment of black people in America.  We live in an area that is like 98% caucasian and I don't think he spends any time reading about the subject online.  I believe he is just ignorant of the reality of the situation.

I didn't mean to insinuate that I thought my dad was racist at all.  He is just not understanding the sentiment of black people in America.  We live in an area that is like 98% caucasian and I don't think he spends any time reading about the subject online.  I believe he is just ignorant of the reality of the situation.
Yes this is unfortunately a lot of my family too. My very white sister said to me the other day “I’ve never had any of this stuff happen to me.” Told her she was so very close to finally getting it. 

The NBA isnt a good vehicle for getting this message across. You wont find a lot of people that would say they wouldnt trade places with an NBA player. (And i dont mean an erase your family sort of way, so lets not sidetrack obvious point)

If the president of a factory farm was out there complaining about the plight of the small family farmer, people would tell them to ####. Even if everything they said was true about family farmers. 

Obviously not exactly the same thing, but as a society we generally reject when people that have a very easy life and piles of money complain. Even if they are right about what they are saying regarding other people. 

NBA playoff ratings down 28% with many stuck at home. Not good. Go woke, go broke.
Seems like the relevant comparison is not 2020 ratings compared to 2019 ratings, but 2020 ratings pre-protest compared to 2020 ratings post-protest, no?

Edit to add: I have no idea what that second comparison is.  Might be an even larger drop.

Frostillicus said:
Is this our only NBA thread? 
Cap started a playoff thread in the FFA.  Draft talk would be OK, I'm sure.

How in the actual #### did this get moved to the Political forum?
People started arguing about the NBA players possibly cancelling the season due to racial/political concerns  and Joe decided to move it.

Users who are viewing this thread