What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**2017 Preseason Observations Thread** (1 Viewer)

So I watched the Jags game ... I can't believe after all they did talking about how he's working with QB gurus that Blake Bortles is STILL throwing Honeybaked Hams out there :porked:

Henne needs to start. Hell, Kaepernick would be a better QB right now that Bortles.

i wish they could adjust the timing of these games. That game would be absolutely perfect for the 3rd Monday night Football game (yeah i know, not west coast, but whatevs) and have Chris Berman doing the color commentary. Him and Dilfer
Whatever time slot they can find where the fewest number of people can see it. 

D. Westbrook put on a clinic tonight. Could be SOD he looked like A. Brown in his route running, attacking the ball and was open at will. It's just one game but he played better than any rookie WR I've seen so far.

Tex

TheDirtyWord said:
Interesting aspect to Bortles is that Jags could/should simply RGIII him.  If he gets hurt, they have to pay him in 2018. 
Or one reason they just release him before Week 1.

SameSongNDance said:
NYJ vs. BUF week one is going to be the ugliest game of football ever played.
Jaguars play Jets Week 3 in the Meadowlands so you can't even be distracted by pools in the stadium.

Ilov80s said:
Anyone see anything of note in the Bills/Eagles or Ravens/Dolphins games?
Allen looked a lot better than West running behind the first team O line.  Ajayi looked good catching the ball out of the backfield.

SameSongNDance said:
I just watched the highlights. It's against 3rd stringers but  :eek:
Really? Didn't seem that impressive. A corner fell down, a short out route when given a big cushion, a pretty lucky throw over the middle when there were 4 defenders all around.

If he's right the Bucs might lead the league in scoring. 
They definitely have the weapons and play in the right division to do it. I'm just not sure the coaches are interested in that style. After Winston's boneheaded falling to the ground toss the ball up for grabs INT in the RZ, I am even more sure Koetter is scared of Winston. 

SameSongNDance said:
NYJ vs. BUF week one is going to be the ugliest game of football ever played.
Which streamers wade into the fire with this one?  Who's with me?  Which side?

They definitely have the weapons and play in the right division to do it. I'm just not sure the coaches are interested in that style. After Winston's boneheaded falling to the ground toss the ball up for grabs INT in the RZ, I am even more sure Koetter is scared of Winston. 
True.  Other than that though Jameis looked pretty surgical.  What may be even more important is how well the line was protecting him.  They were poised to be the weak link. 

Which streamers wade into the fire with this one?  Who's with me?  Which side?
I would definitely stream either D there. It looks like Tyrod is on his way out. I am seriously surprised the Bills haven't traded McCoy at this point. 

Nah....that's just Winston.  90% of the time he does the right thing.  The other 10 he tries something insane

Really? Didn't seem that impressive. A corner fell down, a short out route when given a big cushion, a pretty lucky throw over the middle when there were 4 defenders all around.
I like the way he moves. He is quick in his breaks and good after the catch. Strong for his size as well.

Nah....that's just Winston.  90% of the time he does the right thing.  The other 10 he tries something insane
It's exactly what Koetter was trying to tell him in Hard Knocks- we don't need you to win us games, we have a good team so don't blow this.

BigTex said:
D. Westbrook put on a clinic tonight. Could be SOD he looked like A. Brown in his route running, attacking the ball and was open at will. It's just one game but he played better than any rookie WR I've seen so far.

Tex

SameSongNDance said:
I just watched the highlights. It's against 3rd stringers but  :eek:
You guys aren't kidding - holy crap.  Maybe Westbrook and #10 should get a shot with A-Rob and that group?

I like the way he moves. He is quick in his breaks and good after the catch. Strong for his size as well.
I was going to say the RAC was extremely impressive, and two of those grabs were definitely not easy (the one with all sorts of traffic in the middle of the field, and the leaping catch on the sideline where he kinda tipped it to himself.

SameSongNDance said:
He does look good, which is interesting after hearing so many analysts say he couldn't hack it on the outside and Buffalo was filled with slot WRs.  Also, I heard on the RotoWorld podcast speculation that Buffalo was clearly building an offense around Peterman with the trades they made.  Sure looks like it.  That said, the knock on him was supposed to be arm strength, but he threw some pretty good balls in those clips.  That second link is a laser off his back foot.

Tyrod may be on his way out -- either via bubble wrap after they get pounded early on or outright cut, dare I say?

Last edited by a moderator:
He had a great stat game in the 4th quarter....He'll fit right in with the Jags. 
As I saw someone mention elsewhere ... these 4th quarter things can be neutral or negative for prospects.  It certainly was negative, and what's really standing in his way?  Allen Robinson can still play with a good QB, but what else?  Marquise Lee and Allen Hurns don't strike me as super stiff competition.

As I saw someone mention elsewhere ... these 4th quarter things can be neutral or negative for prospects.  It certainly was negative, and what's really standing in his way?  Allen Robinson can still play with a good QB, but what else?  Marquise Lee and Allen Hurns don't strike me as super stiff competition.
But both Hurns and Lee did not play and Westbrook is still not in the game until the 4th.  Westbrook's stock will no doubt rise a round or two after last night.  He is a solid late round rookie or deep dynasty draft pick, but I won't be drafting him ahead of Lee or Hurns at this point.   

No, he's done.
Isn't PHI grooming Pumphrey to be Sproles' replacement?  I'm not sure you are going to replace a guy like Sproles, but if Pumphrey can get close to Sproles' production after this year, he is worth a shot in the mid rounds of rookie drafts. 

Isn't PHI grooming Pumphrey to be Sproles' replacement?  I'm not sure you are going to replace a guy like Sproles, but if Pumphrey can get close to Sproles' production after this year, he is worth a shot in the mid rounds of rookie drafts. 
Sure, as a lottery ticket but not much more I'd guess.

Sure, as a lottery ticket but not much more I'd guess.
They want Pumphrey to replace him, which is part of the reason Sproles has even less upside this year. Pumphrey has looked less than ordinary in games though. This is White/Lewis only with less talent (given Sproles' age) and less upside.

But both Hurns and Lee did not play and Westbrook is still not in the game until the 4th.  Westbrook's stock will no doubt rise a round or two after last night.  He is a solid late round rookie or deep dynasty draft pick, but I won't be drafting him ahead of Lee or Hurns at this point.   
My comments are strictly from a dynasty perspective.  A player flashing in his opportunities is a good thing, and should earn him increased opportunities.  Every catch Westbrook has this preseason has gone for at least 20 yards.

To his credit, he doesn't play that slow and has better hands than I expected as well. 
Clement is a pretty solid all around player. He just lacks the juice to really excel at the pro level imo.

I recall watching UW vs LSU early on last year. Clement was doing a pretty good job in that game and Fournette was not.

Still Clement lacks upside to be a feature RB at the NFL level. He can be alright in a pinch but coaches will always be looking for something more I think.

This year's Rob Kelley perhaps?
I don't know much about Rob Kelley to compare them. It is possible I suppose that Clement could have a run like Kelley if their other RB face plant/are injured.

I kind of doubt he makes the team.

I would expect Blount to be their main between the tackles runner, then Smallwood, then Clement. But maybe he has beaten out Smallwood already? Not sure about that.

Sproles and Pumphrey have a different role so I don't see them in direct competition with the other RB.

I don't know much about Rob Kelley to compare them. It is possible I suppose that Clement could have a run like Kelley if their other RB face plant/are injured.

I would expect Blount to be their main between the tackles runner, then Smallwood, then Clement. But maybe he has beaten out Smallwood already? Not sure about that.

Sproles and Pumphrey have a different role so I don't see them in direct competition with the other RB.
He's a much better prospect than Kelley. Kelley is the worst RB prospect ever to actually start an NFL game in my lifetime. I just meant that he could be passable for a brief stretch, but can never carve out a starting job for very long. 

Smallwood s been hurt

I was gonna ask why he isn't even getting carries. Not a great time to be hurt, he will lose any positive buzz he had going for him
Or he laying low, ready to spring into action when the regular season comes...maybe that is extreme but we know Blount is BAD. 

Or he laying low, ready to spring into action when the regular season comes...maybe that is extreme but we know Blount is BAD. 
Is it too much to ask for a Devonta Freeman-esque emergence from the ashes for Smallwood? Probably, but that's what I'm hoping for. Blount may be an elite goal line back but outside of the redzone, the best he can do is heroically run into the back of the line for 2 yards. There will hopefully be an opportunity for someone else.

Users who are viewing this thread