What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 FBG Album Poll - COUNTDOWN TODAY (Feb 22) (2 Viewers)

Submitted a list, but I may reshuffle it a bit in the meantime.

Honestly, after going through my list, it's ended up being mostly albums from artists that I've already loved before 2017.  Not much really stood out to me as being incredible this year, just a bunch of solid follow-up albums from artists that I've liked for years.  A number of my previous #1s are scattered in my list as well as frequent top 5s from the previous 7-8 years of doing these album polls.

I guess overall I must've just listened to a lot fewer new artists this year.  Either that or the newer artists just didn't click with me.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I have so far:

dal boys phan

Dreaded Marco

Eephus

El Floppo

errictspikes

Iluv80s

kupcho1

Jaysus

landrys hat

Northern Voice

rockaction

steelcitysledgehammers

Steve Tasker

Finally PM'd some picks

Not that into albums anymore, guess I don't have any plans  :kicksrock:

But I've got kisses!

Loved that Milano album at first listen, and then a little less subsequently.

Love the egalitarian approach, but could end up with potentially all albums outside the final list, which seems to bottom out around 20 iirc..
True but there wasn't one single album that compelled me to carry its torch and assign max points.

:lol:   from last year's thread....

thanks for the roundup.  disappointing to not see head and the heart make the cut, my fave album of the year...
That's why the pros give their top pick 30 points

:lol:   from last year's thread....
I gave two 2016 albums max points.  I stand by my Anderson.Paak pick and would give it 30 again if it had come out this year.  But in retrospect, giving max points to Pavo Pavo was due to an infatuation with a record that came out late in the year.  It's a fine album that deserved more acclaim than it got but one year out, even I acknowledge it wasn't the second best release of 2016.

In retrospect, had I discovered that Greta Van Fleet album earlier, that surely would have placed well in my list.  Oh well.... :shrug:

In retrospect, had I discovered that Greta Van Fleet album earlier, that surely would have placed well in my list.  Oh well.... :shrug:
I made a similar type of mistake with my list. The first thing that I did was write all of albums that I really liked from 2017 on a list in no particular order. Once I had them down--I then tried to rank them and assign the appropriate point values.  I just realized that somehow Bishop Briggs made it on my favorite album list--but somehow I missed putting her on the ranked list.  If her album doesn't make it anywhere in our list--maybe she gets an honorable mention because of my mistake. 

While we wait for NV to do his thing, here is the list I submitted:

Harley Poe - Lost and Losing it    25
Menzingers - After the Party    20
White Reaper - The World's best American Band    19
The Districts - Popular Manipulations    18
McCafferty - Thanks. Sorry. Sure.    17
Clowns - Lucid Again    16
Ron Gallo - Heavy Meta    15
Casual Friday - Weekend Forever    13
Portugal The Man - Woodstock    10
Direct Hit! / PEARS - Human Movement    9
Iron Chic - You Can't stay Here    8
Western Addiction - Tremulous    7
Royal Blood - How did we get so dark    6
Meatbodies - Alice    3
Dopamines - Tales of Interest    3
Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart Of Life    3
Together PANGEA - Bulls and Roosters    2
The Bronx - V    2
Juiceboxxx - Freaked Out American Loser    2
Sweet Spirit - St. Mojo   2

I've been bad at keeping this on the front page but it's been a really slow year for lists coming in. I'll give it a bit more time and then do what may be a much shorter/condensed version of the results rundown :( .

I've been bad at keeping this on the front page but it's been a really slow year for lists coming in. I'll give it a bit more time and then do what may be a much shorter/condensed version of the results rundown :( .
I don't think you've been bad at keeping this on the front page -- it seems like there aren't a lot of lists to come by. I'll give this a bump this morning for the FP. 

Guys, get your lists in!  I didn't listen to albums for a week straight for nothing!  

My submission.  I will admit that I haven't heard of many of the artists others are posting, so take this with a grain of salt.

Son Volt - Notes of Blue 30

The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding 30

LCD Soundsystem - American Dream 25

Fleet Foxes - Crack-up 25

Arcade Fire – Everything Now 15

Spoon - Hot Thoughts 15

Jason Isbell  - Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit 10

Wolf Alice – Visions of a Life 10

The National - Sleep Well Beast 10

Ryan Adams – Prisoner 10

Portugal. The Man - Woodstock 5

Neil Young – Hitchhiker 4

Japandroids - Near to the Wild Heart of Life 3

oso oso - The Yunahon Mixtape 2

Lorde – Melodrama 1

Thanks for the additional lists that have come in, 

THE COUNTDOWN WILL TAKE PLACE NEXT THURSDAY FEBRUARY 22ND.

I'll take additional submissions and revisions up until Wednesday night. Yes @Steve Tasker you have time to add Imagine Dragons to your list. After that, I'll run through it regardless of how many have come in. That will determine whether it ends up being a top 20, 30, 40 etc... 

Thanks for the additional lists that have come in, 

THE COUNTDOWN WILL TAKE PLACE NEXT THURSDAY FEBRUARY 22ND.

I'll take additional submissions and revisions up until Wednesday night. Yes @Steve Tasker you have time to add Imagine Dragons to your list. After that, I'll run through it regardless of how many have come in. That will determine whether it ends up being a top 20, 30, 40 etc... 
:popcorn:

I'm going to make this a top 45 or top 50, depending on how you want to look at it, but these 10 albums are all tied for 45th or 50th, with one person having them on their list at 25 points. If you put one of these out there and you want to make a comment on it, I'm throwing them all out now as a teaser (and because I'm not going to search for blurbs etc... for these ones, which are essentially the final cuts). There will obviously be quite a few 30 point albums with one vote as well coming tomorrow but I'll start at #44 which is an album with multiple votes.

T-50 - 1 VOTE - 25 POINTS

Dave Hause - Bury Me in Philly

Devin the Dude - Acoustic Levitation

Harley Poe - Lost and Losing It

King Gizzard - Flying Microtonal Banana

Mr. Jukes - God First

Robert Randolph & the Family Band - Got Soul

Sandy (Alex G) - Rocket

Sylvan Esso - What Now

Toadies - The Lower Side of Uptown

WHY? - Moh Hlean

Also, this is who I have lists from, if I missed one, let me know before I start (mid-morning tomorrow) please. 

Jaysys dal_boys_phan The Dreaded Marco kupcho1 landrys hat rockaction Ilov80s jvdesigns mphtrilogy E-Z Glider steelcitysledge Workhorse Bogart Steve Tasker Nick Vermeil shuke Northern Voice ericctspikes El Floppo Eephus

If you put one of these out there and you want to make a comment on it, I'm throwing them all out now as a teaser (and because I'm not going to search for blurbs etc... for these ones, which are essentially the final cuts).

Sandy (Alex G) - Rocket
I loved the way this album was all over the map.

Bobby is a folksy, singer-song writer type of tune

Powerful Man has a Sun Kil Moon feel 

Guilty is a spacey jam, sorta Phish-like

And then all of the sudden, out of nowhere, they hit you with Brick and at the :30 second mark you have no choice but to jump out of your chair and start smashing imaginary people's heads into the wall. 

I thought this was done already.  I'll see if I can Russia-interfere and #### this list up:

@Northern Voice, my list:

30 - Pissed Jeans / Why Love Now

30 - IDLES / Brutalism

20 - Mastodon / Emperor of Sand 

10 - Spoon / Hot Thoughts

10 - Kendrick Lamar / DAMN

Caveat:  I feel like these 2017's could potentially have been contenders, had I actually heard them yet.   :bag:  

Mark Lanegan Band, QotSA.  

Fortunately (for me), Ahrn's late list doesn't push anything into the top half of the poll, so my plan to start at #44 remains. 

Slowdive - Slowdive

26 points, 2 votes

Ranked Highest By: Iluv80s, Workhorse

Review:  Of all the shoegazers, Slowdive were the most unpredictable. Their first three albums, as well as their handful of EPs, revealed that this band, more than any of the scene's other main acts, were about forging a path to the unknown.

The last we heard from them was 1995's Pygmalion, a full-on ambient record that was the complete opposite of the pop record their label Creation asked for. (Creation dropped them a week after its release.) Following that, songwriters Neil Halstead and Rachel Goswell started Mojave 3 and became pensive folkies. After reuniting in 2014 for some tours, Slowdive return after a 22-year absence with a new album of limitless possibilities. Still, no one really knew what a Slowdive album in 2017 could sound like — including the band members.

Simply titled Slowdive, this eight-track LP finds the five-piece both remembering their past and exploring what lies ahead. There are some familiar feelings, like how both "No Longer Making Time" and "Go Get It" recall Souvlaki with their respective cascading choruses and dub-like rhythms, while "Slomo" nods to the more ethereal tones of Just For A Day. But for the most part, Slowdive feels like the band have kept their finger on the refresh button.

By comparison to tepid pacing of their previous work, "Don't Know Why" almost reaches a thrash-like urgency; "Star Roving" is built from a ton of layers, and probably the closest thing they have to a rock song; closer "Falling Ashes" may follow the minimalism of Pygmalion, but with the help of a lead piano, it introduces a whole new avenue for the band to explore in the future.

It certainly was a long wait, but finally Slowdive have given us the album that we have been dreaming about for the last 22 years. https://exclaim.ca/music/article/slowdive-slowdive

Jay Som - Everybody Works

26 points, 2 votes

Ranked Highest By: Steve Tasker, Nick Vermeil

Review:  

Melina Duterte, who operates under the moniker Jay Som, has experienced a sharp upward trajectory since she drunkenly dropped her debut collection via Bandcamp. Whereas Turn Into was a hastily released random selection of nine songs that were effectively demos (albeit ones that displayed a surprising level of polish and promise given their lo-fi inception), Everybody Works is more like her debut proper. The record's title refers to Duterte's experience of familial cynicism toward her career choice. On the title track she sings: "My folks don't think it's right to be living in a shell," but pleads for understanding, "I'm a good kid/I swear I don't lie/I'll get a job/Turn into one lovely guy." Given the quality of this record, her insistence is likely to be thoroughly vindicated.

Everybody Works opens with the dreamy "Lipstick Stains," which suggests a brighter sound than the D.I.Y. production and layered distortion her first collection afforded. Despite containing a multitude of catchy tracks, Turn Into was very much entrenched in lo-fi indie production aesthetics. But songs like "One More Time, Please" prove she isn't afraid to mine her ability to create silky smooth pop. The same can be said of the single "Baybee"; cutesy title aside, its hazily intoxicating chorus is yet another example of how she has pulled her songwriting into sharper focus. The leaps she's made with this recording make the fact that it was made in her bedroom and, bar the mastering, is entirely her own work all the more surprising given the level of nuanced detail on show. That's not to say that Duterte has abandoned her inclinations toward bedroom pop, alt-rock, and shoegaze. "1 Billion Dogs" marries a syrupy-sweet melody with an abrasive wash of crunching guitar riffs, which lead into a warped solo; "Take It" builds into a sonically busy rush before you've had chance to notice; and "(BedHead)" features a dizzying guitar line whose rhythm and tone sounds buckled.

Each track contains an array of imaginative touches that subtly add depth to the record. Lyrically, the album is preoccupied with the kind of angst and self-doubt that you might expect from an artist in her early twenties, but the level of humility and tenderness Duterte conjures sidesteps whiny self-obsession. The laid-back delivery of "The Bus Song" belies a tightly crafted pop hook and sharply honest confession: "Take time to figure it out/I'll be the one that sticks around/And I just want you to need me." Sprawling closer "For Light" delves into intimate details and difficult conclusions: "On the small of your back I traced a line to carve/And signed my resignation/I'll break to chew on glass." And all the while her quiet delivery serves to heighten that intimacy. Everybody Works displays huge breadth, which is often disguised by a relaxed pace and its effortless segues between styles. Given what a fine record she had produced here, it's very likely just the beginning for this bright new talent whose youthful angst is contradicted by the confidence present in her compositions. https://www.allmusic.com/album/everybody-works-mw0003018188

This one found it's way on to the bottom of a bunch of lists, no one gave it more than 10 - and even that 10 was the 10 that Eephus gave every album on his list

Cloud Nothings - Life Without Sound

26 points, 5 votes

Ranked Highest By: rockaction, Steve Tasker, Northern Voice, El Floppo, Eephus

Review:  

Dylan Baldi of Cloud Nothings writes records he would want to drive to. A ritual he started in his high school years, there’s something profound and universal about driving with music you can seclude yourself with. The 25-year-old still writes songs to emulate this feeling of a life full of doubt, dedicated for people that often employ apathetic “I’m fine”s to just find an escape. Cloud Nothings, however, have evolved beyond the status of a post-high school band and while still wrought in emotion, their fourth album represents optimism, vibrancy and combative noise in a life drained of sound.

Bleeding heart reminiscence has been cultivated into culpable reflection on this effort. The biggest transition since the their four-piece’s official debut in 2008 has been merging their calamitous distortion with vital melodies. ‘Life Without Sound’ strikes true in achieving this balance.

The opening track ‘Up To The Surface’ experiments with additional instrumentation and slower tempos — a luxury afforded by the year and a half writing and gestation period. Many of these tracks feel like they were written without the intent to be toured into the ground something which, for all its many strengths, 2014’s ‘Here And Nowhere Else’ didn’t.

The creative apex of this album is realised in a marriage of tracks: ‘Internal World’ and ‘Darkened Rings’. The former is a commemoration of honest behaviour and wryly reflecting on imperfect inhumanity: “I’m not the one who’s always right,” Dylan quips. ‘Darkened Rings’, however, is a rip-roaring, punk track with no regard for the limits of amplitude. The production team, led by producer John Goodmanson of Sleater Kinney and Death Cab for Cutie fame, make a special effort to superimpose the breakdowns to snowball in intensity. It’s a real gut-punch of “####-yeah” rock that deserves to be spelled ‘rawk’.

‘Enter Entirely’ and ‘Modern Act’ employ brilliant pop hooks and verse structures that weave between melodies seamlessly and sometimes mid-verse. To borrow a phrase from the movie Sing Street, Cloud Nothings lean on the ‘happy-sad’ dynamic of The Cure throughout this portion of the record - with the intoxicating dark comedy to boot.

Whereas ‘Strange Year’ taps into the sinister realms of Dylan’s psyche as we approach the end of this journey. Vocals are delivered with nosediving aplomb while the guitars wail and collide in a distinctly Sonic Youth fashion. “Nothing reverses errors in time,” so the lyrics go. A sentiment that’s thankfully resolved and conciliated in the final and most climactic track, ‘Realize My Fate’.

“Do you know what’s it like to say that you’re doing just fine when you feel like an ocean coming out of a creek?” Dylan asks, seemingly to no one, in ‘Modern Act’. He criticises the everyday fakery and empty platitudes we exchange; the masks we wear to repress our real feelings. Our behaviours and the lives we lead are all an act; one that’s presumably exacerbated when you’ve been in the public eye as a musician for a decade. These sharp self-observations are the lifeblood of Cloud Nothings’ best work to date. The future will always be bright for a band that excels in one upmanship and even when life is noisy, distracting and false, finding solace in something as simple as driving with your favourite albums is more than “just fine”.http://www.clashmusic.com/reviews/cloud-nothings-life-without-sound

Clowns - Lucid Again

28 points, 2 votes

Ranked Highest By: Jaysus, rockaction

Review:  

Melbourne punks Clowns always deliver a sonic punch to the face.

Whether it's their chaotic live shows or potent albums, one always feels bruised and battered after a run-in with these, uh, clowns. That short, fast, rampant sound has felt like a steady onslaught across the five-piece's previous two releases, and their latest Lucid Again is no different. But there's a heck of a lot more going on here - a psychedelic bent, some straight singing from shouty frontman Stevie Williams - and it works, making for an interesting listen and opens the door that little bit wider to newcomers.

New listeners can lean in to the opening title track - Williams' gentle croon acting as a guide through twangy guitars - before the band pulls shirts over heads and delivers a punch to the guts with tracks like 15 Minutes Of Infamy and punchy single Dropped My Brain, solid flag bearers of Clowns' sound. But Like A Knife At A Gunfight, Pickle and Noise In The Night delve back into swirling psychedelic guitars in between rampant riffs. Even Destroy The Evidence and closer Not Coping, both brutal bangers, open things up with a steady pace for motifs and breakdowns to shine. It's this yin and yang approach that makes Lucid Again Clowns' best to date. http://themusic.com.au/music/albumreviews/2017/05/04/clowns-lucid-again-carley-hall/

Users who are viewing this thread