What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 FBG Album Poll - COUNTDOWN TODAY (Feb 22) (1 Viewer)

I'm a middle aged dude who spends his day behind a desk.  As such, I like to get out on my lunch hour and take a 30-45 minute walk each day, just to get outside, stretch my legs and try to keep my metabolism up.  Signed up for a Google Play Music account a few years back and I'll typically download an album and listen to it on my walks.  This allows me to digest anywhere from 3-5 albums a week.  I really enjoy it.

That said, there's not really any pattern to what I choose to listen to.  I don't keep up with the music industry, per se, to know who the hottest artists are so I'll just pick albums arbitrarily from the "New Releases" category and give them a listen.  I'll listen to most anything, but tend to prefer rock, hip-hop and edm.

The nice thing about the Google Play Music account is it tracks how many times I've listened to a song.  I used that as the metric for my rankings.  The ones I listened to the most got the highest rankings.

This is why I don't have some albums like Portugal the Man listed.  While "Feel It Still" was probably my favorite and most listened to song of 2017, the rest of the album failed to impress me so it didn't get many listens.

I've queued up the 26 albums that made the final list but escaped me last year and I'll give them all a listen some time this year.  Thank you all for the suggestions!

J

I'm a middle aged dude who spends his day behind a desk.  As such, I like to get out on my lunch hour and take a 30-45 minute walk each day, just to get outside, stretch my legs and try to keep my metabolism up.  Signed up for a Google Play Music account a few years back and I'll typically download an album and listen to it on my walks.  This allows me to digest anywhere from 3-5 albums a week.  I really enjoy it.

That said, there's not really any pattern to what I choose to listen to.  I don't keep up with the music industry, per se, to know who the hottest artists are so I'll just pick albums arbitrarily from the "New Releases" category and give them a listen.  I'll listen to most anything, but tend to prefer rock, hip-hop and edm.

The nice thing about the Google Play Music account is it tracks how many times I've listened to a song.  I used that as the metric for my rankings.  The ones I listened to the most got the highest rankings.

This is why I don't have some albums like Portugal the Man listed.  While "Feel It Still" was probably my favorite and most listened to song of 2017, the rest of the album failed to impress me so it didn't get many listens.

I've queued up the 26 albums that made the final list but escaped me last year and I'll give them all a listen some time this year.  Thank you all for the suggestions!

J
Fwiw, I can't recommend Spotify enough. I was a record store and college radio music nerd when I was younger, but fell out of being tied in later. Spotify has brought me right back in

Fwiw, I can't recommend Spotify enough. I was a record store and college radio music nerd when I was younger, but fell out of being tied in later. Spotify has brought me right back in
This. I can't even begin to explain how great Spotify is. 

I think the social aspect of Spotify with you nerds is huge as well.  If everybody moved en masse to some other system, we'd survive. 

But since we can't even do our 2017 poll until the following February, we better hope Spotify's business model is viable.

I think the social aspect of Spotify with you nerds is huge as well.  If everybody moved en masse to some other system, we'd survive. 

But since we can't even do our 2017 poll until the following February, we better hope Spotify's business model is viable.
I agree but Spotify does a really good job making the user experience easy. It's a pretty smooth app and the depth of music available is mind bending.

I decided to check out the boards today for the first time in years. It's great to see so many familiar faces.

My friends have completely different taste in music to me and it's incredibly frustrating to see an awesome concert or album announced without being able to share my excitement.

Since I was a regular poster in the music threads, my taste has remained pretty similar. The biggest change is that Modest Mouse went from being a band I liked a lot to the hands down number one. I've written 20 articles counting down their top 100 songs and drove 1500 miles to see them for three concerts last year. This year I'm off to Detroit for two more shows.

Anyway, I just wanted to poke my head in and say it's great to see a lot of familiar names in this thread. 

NV, are you in Peterborough Canada, or some other Peterborough. I'm about an hour away from there now.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Built To Spill, David Byrne and Stephen Malkmus this year, along with the two Modest Mouse shows. 

I decided to check out the boards today for the first time in years. It's great to see so many familiar faces.

My friends have completely different taste in music to me and it's incredibly frustrating to see an awesome concert or album announced without being able to share my excitement.

Since I was a regular poster in the music threads, my taste has remained pretty similar. The biggest change is that Modest Mouse went from being a band I liked a lot to the hands down number one. I've written 20 articles counting down their top 100 songs and drove 1500 miles to see them for three concerts last year. This year I'm off to Detroit for two more shows.

Anyway, I just wanted to poke my head in and say it's great to see a lot of familiar names in this thread. 

NV, are you in Peterborough Canada, or some other Peterborough. I'm about an hour away from there now.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Built To Spill, David Byrne and Stephen Malkmus this year, along with the two Modest Mouse shows. 
That's awesome. Let me know if you need any suggestions on what to do in Detroit. 

That's awesome. Let me know if you need any suggestions on what to do in Detroit. 
Thanks. I'll drive down the first day of the concert, stay one night, and drive home straight after the second concert. It's only 5 miles over the border. Not sure if I will attempt much during the day of the second concert. I can't wait to check out my favorite band in a new city. I saw back-to-back shows in NY in October and they played more than 40 different songs over the two nights.

Users who are viewing this thread