What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Rookie RB Rankings (1 Viewer)

Here's NFL.com video of Zeke's combine workout

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000638822/Combine-workout-Ezekiel-Elliott

The passing drills start at about 1:46

First drill: He runs a V route flawlessly, with suddenness.  Has a bad drop.
Second drill:  He runs a corner route, had to slow his route up to catch the ball, nice adjustment and ball was snatched out of air.   
Third drill: Wheel route, runs a clean route, catches the ball with hands. 
Fourth drill: Swing pass, not a perfectly clean catch but does catch with hands and not body which allows his momentum to stay upfield, never broke stride.
Fifth drill: A shuttle drill where he's crossing between the hashes, makes all three solid catches with his hands.  

What am I missing from his combine performance that says he's suspect in the passing game?

Here's NFL.com video of Zeke's combine workout

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000638822/Combine-workout-Ezekiel-Elliott

The passing drills start at about 1:46

First drill: He runs a V route flawlessly, with suddenness.  Has a bad drop.
Second drill:  He runs a corner route, had to slow his route up to catch the ball, nice adjustment and ball was snatched out of air.   
Third drill: Wheel route, runs a clean route, catches the ball with hands. 
Fourth drill: Swing pass, not a perfectly clean catch but does catch with hands and not body which allows his momentum to stay upfield, never broke stride.
Fifth drill: A shuttle drill where he's crossing between the hashes, makes all three solid catches with his hands.  

What am I missing from his combine performance that says he's suspect in the passing game?
He didn't look natural to me catching today. I thought he let the ball eat him up a little. He's no DJ catching the ball......

I don't see a terrible RB but I'm having a hard time getting excited with EE. If I had the 1st pick I'm looking to move it for someone I like better from last years draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Milkman, I'll just agree to disagree.  I think we both made our points with Zeke (some better than others :D )  For me all I wanted to see was Zeke run a sub 4.5 forty and also not be smaller than thought.   Pass!

Changing gears: I think Lasco and Marshall helped themselves the most at the combine.  Collins hurt the most.  

So you're excited to draft him 1.01 in this years rookie draft?
Yes!

I could see myself possibly going Treadwell or Coleman over him depending on draft / free agency / league..  I own two 1.01's this year and am really excited to add Zeke and likely will in both.  There just aren't that many 3 down backs in the league, and fewer and fewer teams that will go down that route.   We'll see how draft shakes out. 

Yeah EE even saying he didn't catch the ball well today in his exit interview.

Right on man. I'd probably trade out. I could see going Coleman at 1.01 but that depends how he performs at his pro-day and where he landed. It seems more like a meh draft overall actually.

Yeah EE even saying he didn't catch the ball well today in his exit interview.

Right on man. I'd probably trade out. I could see going Coleman at 1.01 but that depends how he performs at his pro-day and where he landed. It seems more like a meh draft overall actually.
I think we get it. At least take it to the Elliot thread.

Here's the top 15 that my formulas are currently spitting out (guys within the same tier are nearly tied):

Ezekiel Elliott    Ohio State

Derrick Henry    Alabama

DeAndre Washington    Texas Tech
Kenneth Dixon    La Tech
C.J. Prosise    Notre Dame
Jordan Howard    Indiana
Paul Perkins    UCLA

Alex Collins    Arkansas
Daniel Lasco    California

Jonathan Williams    Arkansas
Keith Marshall    Georgia
Wendell Smallwood    WVU
Devontae Booker    Utah
Kenyan Drake    Alabama

Tyler Ervin    SJSU

With a fair amount of uncertainty about everyone on the Williams-Drake tier, due to some combination of lack of playing time, lack of combine numbers, and lack of tape.
I have a hard time getting excited about Howard or Collins in a PPR league. Don't see either being very involved in the passing game and I don't see either as being talented enough to make a fantasy impact just through yardage/TDs. 

Beyond the obvious top two, Dixon and Prosise are the two guys that I find most intriguing. Wouldn't be surprised to see them end up in the 1st round of rookie drafts in this below-average class.  

outside of the first drop Elliott looked fine catching the ball, not great but decent.  Plus he showed he's a solid receiver in college.  He's a workhorse who will play all 3 downs and get the goal line looks.  He's one of the top RB prospects of the past 5 years, only higher rated prospects are Gurley and Richardson.  Sure T-Rich bombed but that had a lot to do with his work ethic, he just didn't care.

While Elliot is the best RB prospect in this draft I just don't see him in the same way I saw Gurley coming out last year. He doesn't WOW me as much. It'll be interesting to see where he lands in the draft. That might speak a little more to how high I'd take him in this years draft.

by default maybe......That doesn't mean he will be a success or that I like him as a prospect. What did he show today? His jumps were bad, his hands were bad, his 40 was good.

Meh.
He plays like a stud. The combine is just a small tool, it's what a player does on the field when it's game time.

Dont overthink this,

Tex

RB are so situationally dependent. Look at Freeman. Terrible athlete and he still had a nice 7-8 game run. He sucked running the ball the last 7 weeks or so though. The lack of athletic ability is catching up to him.
WR are more situationally dependent than RBs. They have to depend on a good to great QB to throw them the ball but you are quick to draft a WR over a 3 down back?!?!? Help me out, am I reading you wrong here? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tex

While Elliot is the best RB prospect in this draft I just don't see him in the same way I saw Gurley coming out last year. He doesn't WOW me as much. It'll be interesting to see where he lands in the draft. That might speak a little more to how high I'd take him in this years draft.
i don't see anyone's saying he's as good of a prospect as Gurley...but if he lands in a plum spot he could put up stats just as good.

Elliott can be an elite FF RB, he doesn't have to be a physical freak like Gurley to do it.

I have a hard time getting excited about Howard or Collins in a PPR league. Don't see either being very involved in the passing game and I don't see either as being talented enough to make a fantasy impact just through yardage/TDs. 

Beyond the obvious top two, Dixon and Prosise are the two guys that I find most intriguing. Wouldn't be surprised to see them end up in the 1st round of rookie drafts in this below-average class.  
This is a year where PPR makes a pretty big difference for RBs. Dixon, Prosise, Washington, Lasco, and Booker offer a lot as receivers. Henry, Howard, Collins, and Williams not so much.

Updated the original post with player height and weights.  Each player has a video attached so you can see them for yourselves.

Added "the other guys" for players outside my Top 10 that are still somewhat relevant.

Going to look to add a little more depth to the player profiles tomorrow and look into a few other players who didn't run at the Combine.  I like the direction this is going though.

gianmarco said:
You can decide for yourself, but I would strongly disagree that there weren't any red flags today for the guys you listed.

Alex Collins --

1.  4.59 forty time -- Bottom 8 amongst RBs today and overall not very good.  Alone not a death knell, but...

2.  28.5 inch vertical -- Dead last amongst RBs and horrendous. 

3.  113 inch broad jump -- 4th last amongst RBs today.  Again, very bad at 9'5". 

By all 3 measures, he is a poor athlete compared to successful RBs in the NFL.  He didn't do any of the agility drills (3 cone, 20 yd shuttle, and 60 yd shuttle), but that doesn't help his case at all.  It's up to you if you still like him as a prospect, but I would say those performance numbers most definitely qualify as red flags. 
Its crosses positions, but Jarvis Landry had an identical 28.5 vertical, and 110" broad jump and ran 4.77.  

Jeremy Hill is a bigger guy (15lbs), but he tested nearly identical to Collins.  4.66/40, 29" vertical, 113" broad jump.  

IMO I didn't think Collins would test all that well.  I was hoping he would run 4.6 flat.  He basically did.  

ETA:  Prior to the combine I thought he'd get drafted between 50th-100th overall.  I still think that is the case.  Obviously he didn't test well.  It may push him down a bit, but I think his game tape still lands him in the 3rd round.  

Its crosses positions, but Jarvis Landry had an identical 28.5 vertical, and 110" broad jump and ran 4.77.  

Jeremy Hill is a bigger guy (15lbs), but he tested nearly identical to Collins.  4.66/40, 29" vertical, 113" broad jump.  

IMO I didn't think Collins would test all that well.  I was hoping he would run 4.6 flat.  He basically did.  

ETA:  Prior to the combine I thought he'd get drafted between 50th-100th overall.  I still think that is the case.  Obviously he didn't test well.  It may push him down a bit, but I think his game tape still lands him in the 3rd round.  
Again, I said you can decide if you still like based on his game film. Just because he put up those numbers doesn't mean he's guaranteed to fail. You posted a couple examples.

However, I just disagree when you say those aren't red flags. Those numbers are definitely red flags. If not, then what's the point of the combine when you can perform at the very bottom and not consider it a red flag?  And, he would now be in the minority of successful players with those numbers. Do what you will with that information. Just don't categorize it as no big deal. 

You have 13 posts and are calling out a guy with over 55,000 who does full mock drafts. Maybe you should relax on calling someone out. 
Number of posts or lack of them means nothing when it comes to your football knowledge. Let's be real.

Number of posts or lack of them means nothing when it comes to your football knowledge. Let's be real.
Hahahahaha. Put down the sword and disengage attack mode. The post count mattered because he called out someone for not sticking his neck out when the guy he's calling out puts out full mock drafts, in which he clearly "sticks his neck out" on many players. I wasn't saying that POW was lacking football knowledge, only board knowledge. 

Maybe you'll learn to properly read once you get more posts. OH!!  :D  I'm just joking around with you. Truthfully, I am. It's a fun morning and I'm in no way trying to dismiss or discourage anyone from presenting different ideas, opinions or views on football. For all I know, you could actually be Pete Karrol, love rum and coach the Seattle Seahawks. Glad to have you aboard and I gave you a like to get the ball rolling.

Hahahahaha. Put down the sword and disengage attack mode. The post count mattered because he called out someone for not sticking his neck out when the guy he's calling out puts out full mock drafts, in which he clearly "sticks his neck out" on many players. I wasn't saying that POW was lacking football knowledge, only board knowledge. 

Maybe you'll learn to properly read once you get more posts. OH!!  :D  I'm just joking around with you. Truthfully, I am. It's a fun morning and I'm in no way trying to dismiss or discourage anyone from presenting different ideas, opinions or views on football. For all I know, you could actually be Pete Karrol, love rum and coach the Seattle Seahawks. Glad to have you aboard and I gave you a like to get the ball rolling.
Thanks for the welcome.

It means he'll take a chance on a certain level if athlete over a JAG anyday. He's right. 
Sure he is.

I bet he also prefers to mow the grass when it's dry and sunny than when it's raining.

These posts should be made into a Captain Obvious commercial.

Yep. Sorry.

How does your top 10 look?

I will throw mine up in a bit.
No worries.  These back and forths happen.  Just want to get us back on track.  I'm still coming up with my top 10.  Processing everything.  Will post mine soon too.

Top two are definitely Elliot and Henry in that order.  Not a shot but I like both these guys a lot.  I think Henry is a lot better than Brandon Jacobs and think just comparing body types is way too simple.  

I really like Keith Marshall.  He was a top recruit who got injured which opened the door for Gurley.  Now he just ripped a blazing 4.33 at the combine.  If he goes to the right team I could see him being the 3rd rookie back off the board.  His biggest issue was durability though so that probably knocks him down the rankings.

Which is why I never touched Hill and begs the question of does he qualify as a success story of someone with poor workout numbers that did well? Based on his  rookie year yes, based on last season he looked to me like the player I avoided due to bad workout numbers.

Prosise I'm having trouble with. He has nice cuts and seems to just keep building speed. His highlights make him seem like he has good vision but when you watch his breakdowns it seems like he makes decisions rather than just using instincts. I don't know if this is an issue but I don't think he will have as much time to do this at the next level. I think that he has more long speed than burst. The shotgun and stretch plays really allow him to play to his strengths. He has good size but I don't see him delivery strong contact on defenders.

Edit: For a comparison on burst vs progressive speed, watch Josh Ferguson tape then watch Prosise. Exact same 40s but Ferguson gets going quicker then doesn't seem to gain speed. Prosise doesn't look as quick at the start of a run but by the end of the long runs Prosise is flying.

I'd put Prosise and Perkins in the same tier. Prosise has better size and speed but Perkins gets his pads down better in contact (at times) and he keeps his head/eyes pointed downfield better than Prosise. 

Ervin is Woodhead?

Dixon, Williams and Washington are in the same conversation. Washington is quicker but Dixon has more power. Williams might have the best balance but is likely the slowest. 

Howard doesn't have the burst I'd like to see but he's got good balance and one of the few guys in this draft that runs heavy. He can catch out of the back field too.

1. Elliot
  2. Henry
  3. Collins
  4. Williams
  5. Dixon
  6. Howard
  7. Marshall*
  8. Washington
  9. Perkins
  10. Prosise
  11. Ervin
  12. Drake
  13. Booker
  14. Lasco
  15. Ferguson
  16. Green
Rankings these guys is tough.

*Marshall took over as the biggest potential/mystery player. It was Drake. I never knew anything about Marshall until yesterday. I thought Chubb was the guy for the Bulldogs but I purposely avoid hearing about prospects. DB has his game against Penn St. up. There's no question this guy has an insane amount of speed. My big problem with Marshall is he doesn't find lanes that well. Not just at the line but beyond. Also, I'm unsure about his angles and his decisions on where to turn on the jets. He's not an elite running back but he could be. He also has a beautiful catch in his highlight video. He's been up and down my rankings a bunch while I'm writing this.

1. Elliot
  2. Henry
  3. Collins
  4. Williams
  5. Dixon
  6. Howard
  7. Marshall*
  8. Washington
  9. Perkins
  10. Prosise
  11. Ervin
  12. Drake
  13. Booker
  14. Lasco
  15. Ferguson
  16. Green
Rankings these guys is tough.

*Marshall took over as the biggest potential/mystery player. It was Drake. I never knew anything about Marshall until yesterday. I thought Chubb was the guy for the Bulldogs but I purposely avoid hearing about prospects. DB has his game against Penn St. up. There's no question this guy has an insane amount of speed. My big problem with Marshall is he doesn't find lanes that well. Not just at the line but beyond. Also, I'm unsure about his angles and his decisions on where to turn on the jets. He's not an elite running back but he could be. He also has a beautiful catch in his highlight video. He's been up and down my rankings a bunch while I'm writing this.
Nice job!  Agreed. It's 3-13 that is so tough. Going to do more work on these guys. Plus I think so much comes down to where they wind up being drafted.

1. Ezekiel Elliot

2. Devantae Booker

3. CJ Prosise

4. Derrick Henry

5. Kenneth Dixon

6. Daniel Lasco

7. Kenyon Drake

8. Keith Marshall

9. Paul Perkins

10. Alex Collins

I find that I'm not in love with any of these guys. Booker is my favorite, but he didn't workout and he is a couple years older than Elliot. 

Anyone who doesn't have Henry at #2 right now is just being contrarian. You have to do just as much projecting with anyone else you'd put above him, if not more.

I'm starting to warm up even more on Dixon.  Seems exceptionally quick and on a few plays I see him not taking one but two defenders out of the play to score a touchdown.

Anyone who doesn't have Henry at #2 right now is just being contrarian. You have to do just as much projecting with anyone else you'd put above him, if not more.
Your first sentence is not necessarily true in PPR leagues. Will Henry catch many balls? I doubt it. But your second sentence is still true because we have no idea where these guys will land and whether the system fits well.

Eminence said:
I'm starting to warm up even more on Dixon.  Seems exceptionally quick and on a few plays I see him not taking one but two defenders out of the play to score a touchdown.
That's exactly how I feel. It's his top notch burst and acceleration where he gains in advantage in the NFL. He had a great 10 yard split and 3 cone drill, which highlight those abilities. He's my #2 RB in PPR leagues ahead of Henry.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Really? So if you judge Henry differently you're being contrarian? Lol. I happen to not have Henry in my top four rookie RBs pending where they are drafted so I guess I'm being contrarian.

Nero said:
1. Ezekiel Elliot

2. Devantae Booker

3. CJ Prosise

4. Derrick Henry

5. Kenneth Dixon

6. Daniel Lasco

7. Kenyon Drake

8. Keith Marshall

9. Paul Perkins

10. Alex Collins

I find that I'm not in love with any of these guys. Booker is my favorite, but he didn't workout and he is a couple years older than Elliot. 
Booker is THREE years and 2 months older than Elliott.

ConnSKINS26 said:
1. Ezekiel Elliot

2. Devantae Booker

3. CJ Prosise

4. Derrick Henry

5. Kenneth Dixon

6. Daniel Lasco

7. Kenyon Drake

8. Keith Marshall

9. Paul Perkins

10. Alex Collins

Henry is no sure thing. I liken his running style to Andre Williams who I think is a better athlete. There are some limitations, so the team will have to create the right environment for him to be a success.

Users who are viewing this thread