What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 49ers thread...please find and use the new 2017 thread (2 Viewers)

they appear to be at least fairly competent. I'm not repulsed by the Kelly offense & so far the pace and coaching seems decent.

ive never been so ambivolent about a game on opening day. 

:popcorn:
D looks good, special teams have been really good. Running game solid. 

Passing game brutal. 

It's better than expected? 

Kerley looks like a nice pickup - good hands, crisp routes - quicks. 

Kinda what I was expecting from Ellington.
Kerley looks fine. Was wide open on a deep seam route early. Could have been a TD but Gabbert airmailed it. 

While not expecting Gabbert to be great, I expected more. Seemed overly amped up early in game and now really passive this half. 

That was better. Good pass to Patten to get them close and a nice TD to McDonald. 

Patten has been solid tonight. A few grabs and has blocked really well. 

Gabbert is awful. Had a few good runs, but is incredibly inaccurate. 
I think it's been a mixed bag. He's had terrific throws and he's had some get away from him. He's been terrific with his legs, and he's extended some drives. I've liked quite a bit more than I've disliked.

Kerley looks fine. Was wide open on a deep seam route early. Could have been a TD but Gabbert airmailed it. 

While not expecting Gabbert to be great, I expected more. Seemed overly amped up early in game and now really passive this half. 
The deep ball is not his forte.

short & intermediate he's money. 

I think it's been a mixed bag. He's had terrific throws and he's had some get away from him. He's been terrific with his legs, and he's extended some drives. I've liked quite a bit more than I've disliked.
This although "some getting away from him" was two or three dropped INTs that would have made the game a lot more interesting. Still, better than I thought. 

They just looked really well coached in all phases of the game last night. Only one penalty. Aggressive on defense but disciplined. 

Like the way they are building the team with both lines and defense.  Skill positions next. 

For the 2nd year in a row, they open on Monday night and then go back east to play a good team that opened on Thursday and has 10 days of rest, playing at home. Nice scheduling. 

They just looked really well coached in all phases of the game last night. Only one penalty. Aggressive on defense but disciplined. 

Like the way they are building the team with both lines and defense.  Skill positions next. 

For the 2nd year in a row, they open on Monday night and then go back east to play a good team that opened on Thursday and has 10 days of rest, playing at home. Nice scheduling. 
Their schedule is pretty difficult.  @CAR, @ SEA, DAL, AZ, @BUF, TB, bye, NO, @AZ, NE, @MIA, @CHI, NYJ, @ATL, @LA, SEA

Good that one SEA game is week 17, but CAR, SEA, AZ 2x, NE are all tough matchups, DAL, TB, MIA, BUF, and NYJ are neutral matchups and NO, CHI, ATL and LA are good matchups.

Braktastic said:
I seem to remember a resounding opening game win last season too, but I'll take whatever wins we can get.
I get what you're saying but this has a totally different feel IMO. 

Looking on the sidelines and seeing Kelly gives me a lot more confidence in the teams direction than when I saw Jimmy Tom on the sideline last year. Even though they dominated Minnesota last year, a lot of sloppiness that wasn't there last night 

Their schedule is brutal and they will have their struggles but i like the direction they are heading. 

Rams looked like a tough game as well...  schedule might not be as bad as you think

Last edited by a moderator:
Braktastic said:
I seem to remember a resounding opening game win last season too, but I'll take whatever wins we can get.
Yep - followed by a chorus of "hey, it's not gonna be that bad!" (with me privately saying, "dammit, why did I pass on Hyde in the 2nd round!") only to see them collectively crap the bed when facing a 1/2 way decent team and playing from behind. 

The Rams offense was so terrible that the Rams defense was utterly exhausted - so it's very difficult to look at this game and say, "hey, the Rams are a top D and look what the Niners did to them! Blaine Gabbart for MVP!" - yeah, no. 

The next few weeks will be telling, especially this week against CAR. 

But all that said, they put a product on the field that I enjoyed watching last night. They were professional and disciplined, and they got in and out of the snaps quickly. So quickly that several times they were standing around waiting for the Rams to line up, looking bored. Which was an awesome change from Kaep standing there looking to the sideline and calling T/O with 1 second on the clock or taking a delay of game. 

There were no embarrassingly stupid penalties at all for that matter.  Despite a substantial lack of talent at the offensive skill positions behind Hyde, they moved the chains. Gabbart had a good sense of when to tuck and run, and the defense played aggressively but in control.  

Hard to say definitively since it's 1 game, but I like what I see from the beginning of the Chip Kelly era - good coaches adapt, and to see the 49ers get a lead and pound the ball, and slow down the game to control the clock was somewhat unexpected - for years, many speculated that Kelly was incapable of that. And yet that's exactly what happened. There was a point towards the end where they got a little pass happy, and Berman & Young questioned that a bit, but I thought they were just using the lead to get a few extra "preseason reps" in for the passing game. And it was very effective. 

On another note, while I love Young and the insight he brings to the broadcast, Berman cannot do play-by-play to save his ###, it was basically 2 color commentators and super annoying - not as bad as Berman/Joe Morgan on Sunday Night Baseball, but damn close. Yes Joe, we remember when you were on the Big Red Machine, you don't need to start every sentence that way.... 

Overall, B-, and looking forward to when the 49ers maybe get some WRs over 5' 6". And a QB who can throw as far as Torrey Smith can run - they should trade Smith, as he's wasted talent in this offense. 

I get what you're saying but this has a totally different feel IMO. 

Looking on the sidelines and seeing Kelly gives me a lot more confidence in the teams direction than when I saw Jimmy Tom on the sideline last year. Even though they dominated Minnesota last year, a lot of sloppiness that wasn't there last night 

Their schedule is brutal and they will have their struggles but i like the direction they are heading. 
I agree - Tomsula was just brutal, there seemed to be a constant feeling of confusion, plays were called in slowly, players didn't execute, a lot of slumped shoulders and players looking at each other like, "really? This is the team I'm on?".

This was a very efficiently organized & coordinated offense, just lacking some skill position talent. 

An awful lot of writers/commentators trashed Kelly pretty badly as he left PHI - and even moreso when the Niners hired him. I really like the discipline they played with, and I thought Kelly did a lot with very little. And the players looked like they've bought in.  That all screams good coaching. 

I agree - Tomsula was just brutal, there seemed to be a constant feeling of confusion, plays were called in slowly, players didn't execute, a lot of slumped shoulders and players looking at each other like, "really? This is the team I'm on?".

This was a very efficiently organized & coordinated offense, just lacking some skill position talent. 

An awful lot of writers/commentators trashed Kelly pretty badly as he left PHI - and even moreso when the Niners hired him. I really like the discipline they played with, and I thought Kelly did a lot with very little. And the players looked like they've bought in.  That all screams good coaching. 
Yep

We talk about last year's team like they were the 08 Lions, in part because their crappiness was so self inflicted with awful management. But they still won 5 games, and they would have been solidly mediocore if Kaep hadn't self immolated. There's at least 6 guaranteed losses on the schedule this year so they definitely aren't going anywhere even under a best case scenario, but there's a sliver of hope they could be merely below average instead of worst in the league like I suspected they might be. 

looking forward to when the 49ers maybe get some WRs over 5' 6". And a QB who can throw as far as Torrey Smith can run - they should trade Smith, as he's wasted talent in this offense. 
Good point.  Wonder if SD would be interested in him with Allen out?  I know he is a different receiver than Allen, but would help them.

Won't happen, but an interesting thought.  He's a one trick pony and doesn't fit in here.

Good point.  Wonder if SD would be interested in him with Allen out?  I know he is a different receiver than Allen, but would help them.

Won't happen, but an interesting thought.  He's a one trick pony and doesn't fit in here.
Probably the perfect landing spot for him. Or (ironically) Baltimore.

A repeat of the post I put up this morning/afternoon in the LA/SF thread, wanted to share with 49ers fans. 

"A lot of us fell asleep last night, if you missed it, CK entering the game with 2:30 minutes last night...look I understand the Rams appear like the worst team in the NFL right now but give Chip Kelly credit for his leadership and also finding a great moment to get CK on the field and for the SF fans who stood behind him and with him(Lots of his posters around the stadium), I teared up a little, what a great moment for San Fran and their city. What a nice way for Chip Kelly to apply aloe vera to a vicious SF sunburn over the last 12-24 months, so happy for all the fans there. 

The air might go out of the balloon quickly but I think I like the way the team gel together and it just felt really good. by putting CK into the game it stops a lot of questions and I think it was great for the fans there. You won't see this discussed on a lot of media outlets but job well done Chip Kelly, I'm slightly impressed." 

28 points last week against LA, 27 today against Carolina...what the hell is going on?!

Wingnut said:
28 points last week against LA, 27 today against Carolina...what the hell is going on?!
If the TEs could catch, that would help a lot. 

McDonald has a 75 yard TD  (great block and effort by Patten) and you start thinking he's ready to break out. Has a chance for a 2nd 75 yard TD and drops a perfect pass behind the defense. Lack of focus. 

Hyde fumble for a TD, botched coverage on long Olson TD, McDonald drop. Can't overcome those kind of mistakes against a good team. 

But, yeah, looking up offensively. 

Wingnut said:
It appears Chip Kelly might be a 1/2 way decent football coach. 

Team is playing well.  They were shockingly in that game against CAR until Benjamin went on a tear. 

Still - same good play, smart football, disciplined team, not a lot of stupid penalties and no mind boggling delay of game or awkward time-outs with 1 second on the clock. 

I still like what I'm seeing. Excited to see what happens with more offensive talent in place. 

Not great. Early fumble and not a lot of room to run. Bouncing out to the left a lot. 

He had a nice run in week one bouncing it outside left and looks to do that a lot now. 
If he can get into space and get a block, he's got the quicks to get to the next level -  they run him outside a lot. I think Hyde is a very talented RB, but would like to see the Niners open some holes up front - I don't know how good of a between the tackles guy he is because they don't seem to run up the middle with him (so far) - when they do it's not that productive. 

But he's shifty, elusive and can be hard to tackle - he's got enough power to run out of arm tackles but his downside is that he seems a little injury prone.  But the positives are undeniable.  If the 49ers make good draft decisions and can obtain a couple of offensive pieces through FA, Hyde might be a bargain in 2017 FFB drafts. Of course a lot can change between now and then. 

just thinking out loud for Hyde:

sit: wk 3 he is at sea will be tough this week, might sit him

but then he has:

start: dall at home, looks decent

start: Arizona at home, see how he does vs Dallas

start: @ buff, rex might have the team in shambles by then, so might be an ok start

start: tb at home, solid start

start: saints at home, great start,

start: @ ari, tricky one, see how he did at the home game

sit: ne at home, might be a bench, might be down big and play catch up

start: @ mia could be an ok start

start: @ bears could be an ok start

sit: Week 14 nyj @ home but could be a bench jets have a tough run d,

start: Week 15 @ atl could be ok

sit: Week 16 @ rams wk 16, revenge game?  Might be a bench game

Overall, looks like 3or 4 sits, and 9 starts coming up, if he stays healthy looks like a solid RB2 top 14 guy to me…

Also interested in Hyde.  With games vs Hawsk TB, Jets and Bills, he's not an every week starter (is any RB).  Been offered him for a future 1st and 3rd along with Tyler Boyd in a dynasty.  Two weeks ago I would have jumped on that.

Saw a stat on Twitter that the Niners RBs are only averaging like 0.4 yards before contact. I think the OL is pretty solid talent wise so I'm concerned that's a system issue. They've also played a couple of solid defenses so that should be taken into account as well. 

I'm also encouraged that the passing game appears to be creating some space for these no/name receivers downfield. That sort of scheme competence hasn't been seen in years. Unfortunately, while Gabbert doesn't make as many boneheaded plays as Kaepernick, he can't hit the broad side of a barn when he throws downfield. hitting on a few of those would have totally changed the momentum of yesterday's game, I think. 

McDonald is a total embarrassment, that one nice catch in pseudo garbage time not withstanding. He still clearly has hands of stone and can't be relied upon at all. Pretty amazing from a college WR. 

It appears Chip Kelly might be a 1/2 way decent football coach. 

Team is playing well.  They were shockingly in that game against CAR until Benjamin went on a tear. 

Still - same good play, smart football, disciplined team, not a lot of stupid penalties and no mind boggling delay of game or awkward time-outs with 1 second on the clock. 

I still like what I'm seeing. Excited to see what happens with more offensive talent in place. 
I agree.  Chip is looking pretty damn good through two games.

He's eliminated the terrible penalties that had us looking like the Raiders that past few seasons.  Team doesn't quit and plays hard.  They just look, well, well-coached.  I'm honestly very surprised, especially with the dearth of talent at the skill positions.

That said, the dooshbag Hawks are probably gonna roll us 42-3 next weekend, but for now, color me cautiously optimistic. 

I agree.  Chip is looking pretty damn good through two games.

He's eliminated the terrible penalties that had us looking like the Raiders that past few seasons.  Team doesn't quit and plays hard.  They just look, well, well-coached.  I'm honestly very surprised, especially with the dearth of talent at the skill positions.

That said, the dooshbag Hawks are probably gonna roll us 42-3 next weekend, but for now, color me cautiously optimistic. 
More like 9-6.  Hawks O looks pretty crappy at this point................

I've always said Baalke was a horrid GM. Despite all the leaks, players being arrested, blown draft picks, his penchant for reaches with torn ACLs. his total lack of knowing what offense is, etc., etc., I say etc., .........

But the kicker here is....

CHIP KELLEY NEXT YEAR MIGHT BE BUYING THE GROCERIES

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

How many head coaches can an NFL franchise under the Yorks go through?

MOOCH

Dennis Erickson

Mike Nolan

Mike Singletary

Jim Tomsula (one game only)

Jim Harbaugh

Jim Tomsula part deux

Chip Kelley

GMs:

Bill Walsh (who John York didn't like)

Terry Donahue (who John York did like)

Scot McBoozin'

Trent Baalke

Rats:

Paraag Marathe

Jim Tomsula

Inept CEO's:

John York

Jed York

Mama:

Denise York

I have been painting this Yorka Lisa here for years for you guys, and you still never wanted to believe it. Nope. It's drummer, WHAT DOES HE KNOW?. Is he perma banned here? Is it safe to go into the Shark Pool again? I don't see him logged in. Yes, LET'S JUMP BACK INTO THE POOL OF WHAT THE YORKS HAVE IN STORE FOR US THIS SEASON!

I mean it's a good thing the Eagles are on a bye week, and maybe a good thing that guy who posted that Chump Kelley thread may not be here, and an even better thing that you didn't buy PSL's to be stuck in the mire of traffic to get to Santa Clara - when south bay traffic is horrid on any given day because you have people getting out of the Bay Area and into the Bay Area right there at the confluence of highway that takes an hour to go 5 miles - because you may not risk skin cancer being on the side of Levi's where the sun shines on the rear end of those who don't have the luxury suites while sitting next to the multitudes of fans who root for the opposing team, many who burned a Kaepernick jersey that isn't even licensed from the NFL, who now wear any jersey because, well it's a football game so you wear one. Hell - and that is Levi's - the stadium is the old Candlestick project that was just shoehorned into Santa Clara, and the engineers, like, considered, like, THE SAN FRANCISCO CLIMATE when they designed it (that big empty space that doesn't have like a huge screen or seats was supposed to show THE SAN FRANCISCO SKYLINE) and it now needs a roof and all those red seats are yes empty ones, and it looks even more worse when it colored in blue and white at a home game.

Seahawk fans, you should wait to get on Stub Hub for the final regular season game at Levi's. 49er fans will be selling them dirt cheap so they can burn another non sanctioned Kaepernick jersey to burn.

Am I gloating? Maybe so, I mean why the hell not. Every dog has to have his day, right? Hell, it's been a while since I ever got something as silly as a WARNING POINT ON THE INTERNET. Maybe I am back here for even just a few words just to remember how it felt to get one. If you, could, actually, feel, what, a, warning, point, felt like.

Anyway, God bless you all. Oops, I forget where I am at.

Anyway, JOE B YOU ALL!

DONALD TRUMP 2016

You are all still 49er fans, so already you see what Trump as POTUS holds for the future!

BTW, I hope y'all are doing AWESOME! I mean that. To everyone here. Be awesome, feel awesome, stay awesome!

Gabbert is awful.  He just is.  He makes 1 - 2 good passes and thinks he can do it all game.  That pass on the sideline to Celek was all luck that it got through and Celek made a great grab.  So he continues to try to force it into well defended receivers for predictable incompletes.  Torrey Smith was wiiide open (by deep route NFL standards) and Gabbert badly underthrows it for a pick.  That throw to Smith on 4th down at end of game was terrible, Gabbert panicked and rolled out and threw it well short of the 1st instead of stepping up in the pocket.  Staley had that guy just fine, no reason to run away from him.  

And Bowman out for the season with a torn Achilles. 

Welps. 4 - 12, here we come!

Chip is going to have to at least consider giving Kaepernick a shot, right?  Gabbert just doesn't seem like the right fit for a Kelly offense.  He just can't press the ball down field with any consistency.  Say what you will about Kaep but he has demonstrated the ability to consistently challenge defenses more than 5 yards down field.  And while Gabbert is surprisingly mobile, which is important in a Kelly offense, he can't hold a candle to Kaep in that department either.  Kaep is also far more accurate on his career than Gabbert.

He may be a knucklehead but if Kelly can make Mark Sanchez look like a competent NFL QB for 8 weeks then you have to at least consider seeing what Kaepernick can do in his system.  Right?

Right?

Bringing Kaep now makes no sense. He'a still not up to his playing weight because he lives on a vegan diet, now. That's what ruins his career; not kneeling on gamedays during the anthem. His body just doesn't heal and rebuild muscle fast enough without superior nutrition. And we all know that Kaep without muscle is not an NFL starter. So the team's stuck with Gabbert who plays like the Alex Smith of 2006... after five years in the league. At least Kaepernick didn't underthrow homeruns.

Bit who would've thought that tje offense is actually not the most concerning part of the team? Baalke invested what? like six first and second round picks into the defense and it plays even worse than that atrocious offense. The dline is so bad you'd think it's a bunch of udfa's and not two first round picks playing. The dbacks are the core of team ACL and play accordingly: most of them don't even suit up.

The real tragedy for this team is that even after Baalke has been fired, there will nothing change for the better in Santa Clara. Jed will promote Tom Gamble to GM and keep Kelly.

Users who are viewing this thread