What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 49ers thread...please find and use the new 2017 thread (1 Viewer)

I see that Anthony Davis has sent in his reinstatement papers today.

Are the 49ers willing to trade him? If so what would it take to get him?

I'm just asking for a friend  :unsure:

I am interested to hear how the Kaep/Gabbert competition plays out. I think both could be successful in that offense. With those receivers I wouldn't be surprised if they end up running so much they need both of them(and maybe a third guy) to get through the season. I have always liked the raw tools of Lewis. Driskel is an interesting pet project that could pay off down the line. Still waiting to see what happens to Nick Foles, he played like a pro-bowler for Chip in the past.
Chip traded Foles to the Rams for Bradford and threw in a second-round pick. That should tell you all you need to know about what he thinks of Foles. 

I think people are sleeping on Torrey smith. He's easily their best wr, has put together some decent seasons in Baltimore, and seemed to have a narrow pointing up until he landed in SF.  I can easily chalk it up to qb play or coaching in those 2 yrs. Even bad teams have fantasy assets, and that team will have to throw. Forget being their best wr, he is the only guy on the roster you can even say is an NFL wr, the other guys haven't really played much if at all.

watched a lot of MSU, and while I think Burbridge is a hard worker who can catch and run good routes his physical ability will limit him in the nfl. Never really stood out on the field- not like Antonio brown did vs MSU. That guy looked 2 steps faster than everybody all the time. 

All of the dyno threads want to talk up smelter and Eric Rogers, but they haven't been mentioned. 

There is nothing to see this year in 49ers fantasy land.  Smith may be the number one wr by far but his ceiling is going to be in the 900 yds and 6td range, something you will get from a number of wr's this year.  The other problem with the 49ers is they are going to put up some real stinkers this year.  There will be games where they put up 3 pts and that's it.  

Hyde is the only guy I would touch.

Reading through Matt Barrows' position group rankings, I'm now certain that this is, if not the worst team in the league, bottom 3. Between that and my growing general disillusionment with the sport, I'd be surprised if I watch 4 quarters of Niners' football combined this year. Pretty crazy how fast this franchise fell off the face of the earth again (for reasons that have been well-chronicled). 

Reading through Matt Barrows' position group rankings, I'm now certain that this is, if not the worst team in the league, bottom 3. Between that and my growing general disillusionment with the sport, I'd be surprised if I watch 4 quarters of Niners' football combined this year. Pretty crazy how fast this franchise fell off the face of the earth again (for reasons that have been well-chronicled). 
I would agree.  On paper this is as bad of a team as I can remember

I thought about not even bothering with Sunday Ticket this year, but then remembered Ill be able to watch the 49ers lose whenever I want, so I went ahead and re-upped. :yawn:

I see me watching a ton of RedZone channel this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just a dynasty question. We know the Cowboys had Driskel ranked a spot ahead of Prescott on their board. Considering the success of Prescott and Siemien this preseason, how has Driskel looked? I'm not interested in the political controversy, it just seems to me Kaepernick is looking every bit the part of a guy who could be cut and Driskel was drafted by Kelly.

How has Driskel actually looked in camp and preseason?

Also how does Kaep's money - 12 mill - work? Do the 9ers still owe him that if they cut him?

Let's pretend he does.
Concussion already. Not off to a blazing start on that "staying healthy" thing. Sigh. 

I like Hyde, but would love to see him stay healthy. And for the Niners to have a better QB. And OL. And WRs. And owners. 

sigh

:(  

This is an awful team with an awful coach.  It's going to be a lot of years in the wilderness for us 49ers fans

This is an awful team with an awful coach.  It's going to be a lot of years in the wilderness for us 49ers fans
Like when Jed York has kids.

and dies.

and his kids have kids. If they care about football as much as the Yorks lie about caring anout football. 

:wall:

Outside of Vance McDonald, where the hell are all the targets going to go this year? Smith has like 1 catch on 30 targets during the preseason. Ellington is perpetually hurt. Patton?

I want to completely ignore this team but I cant because of Kelly. He's a #### IRL coach but from a fantasy perspective there has to be value here right?

He's a #### IRL coach but from a fantasy perspective there has to be value here right?
That's one theory.

another theory is that they'll be a sucky suckhole full of suck at levels of sucktitude never sucked before. They may even suck at that. 

IDP goldmine though - they'll be on the field a lot. 

Outside of Vance McDonald, where the hell are all the targets going to go this year? Smith has like 1 catch on 30 targets during the preseason. Ellington is perpetually hurt. Patton?

I want to completely ignore this team but I cant because of Kelly. He's a #### IRL coach but from a fantasy perspective there has to be value here right?
sometimes there just isn't any value anywhere

Well Chip Kelly did have Foles playing lights out in his system for a nice stretch of games. That was before CK the GM got rid of all of their good receivers though.

I had a decision recently where I had to choose either the Eagles QB or the 49ers QB. I certainly see CK as a more fast paced offense compared to what I expect from Pedersons offensive.

However they seem like they are going to start Blaine Gabbert. The supporting cast is not that good.

The Eagles WR are likely not much better. They might be worse collectively than what the 49ers have, I guess that depends on your opinion of Torry Smith compared to Matthews or DGB.

The 49ers have to play 6 of their games against the Cardinals, Seahawks and Rams. 

I ended up going with the Eagles over the 49ers because of Sam Bradford over Gabbert, and I don't think Bradford is good. The other tie breaker was a friendlier schedule for the Eagles imo. Those two things trump the uptempo for me in the battle of what may be the worst passing offense in 2016.

Concussion already. Not off to a blazing start on that "staying healthy" thing. Sigh. 

I like Hyde, but would love to see him stay healthy. And for the Niners to have a better QB. And OL. And WRs. And owners. 

sigh

:(  
On the bright side the OL is going to be much better than I thought a couple months ago. 100% better than last year IMO. 

I've been sympathetic to the argument that the Niners should cut Kaep, so obviously I'm not his biggest fan. But if I were the Vikings, I'd much, much rather give up a 5th-7th rounder for Kaep than a 1 & 4 for Bradford. 

I think this is question worth asking and answering.

Has anyone gleaned anything about the 9ers offense in the preseason?

I think this is question worth asking and answering.

Has anyone gleaned anything about the 9ers offense in the preseason?
That you should not draft anyone involved in their offense, basically.  The fact that people are grasping at McDonald being a viable receiving threat should tell you everything you need to know. 

I have ended up with Shaun Draughn on quite a few of my teams.  Given the fact that SF will be playing from behind a lot I see a bit of Riddick potential there.  Not a heavy investment, with decent upside.  

Something has to give with this offense.

- 200 targets gone between Boldin, Davis, Ellington and Simpson.

- Matthews with Philly had 920 snaps as lead WR to TSmith's 780.

- In a down year with mediocre quarterbacking Philly was still no. 2 in number of team plays with 1102 while SF was 29th with 969.

- Philly had 10 legitimate options with 25 or more targets: Matthews, Ertz, Murray, Sproles, Mathews, Agholor, Huff, Cooper, Austin, BCelek, - How high does the count for SF? TSmith, McDonald, GCelek, Pattton, Streater, Kerley, Hyde, Draughns - maybe 5 out of that group? - Sounds like more targets for fewer players.

Something has to give with this offense.

- 200 targets gone between Boldin, Davis, Ellington and Simpson.

- Matthews with Philly had 920 snaps as lead WR to TSmith's 780.

- In a down year with mediocre quarterbacking Philly was still no. 2 in number of team plays with 1102 while SF was 29th with 969.

- Philly had 10 legitimate options with 25 or more targets: Matthews, Ertz, Murray, Sproles, Mathews, Agholor, Huff, Cooper, Austin, BCelek, - How high does the count for SF? TSmith, McDonald, GCelek, Pattton, Streater, Hyde, Draughns - 7? - Sounds like more targets for fewer players.
Does something have to give or can they just be bad??

Miller cut.  Sucks, I always liked him.  But apparently he was belligerent and got into a fight with a 70 y/o man and his son.  Likely done in the NFL.

This team is the fieriest of all dumpster fires. Would not surprise me at all if they end up worst in the league

As awful as it was last year, Eagles still managed to win 7 games. I see the Niners in the 5 or 6 win area because Chip will catch a couple teams off guard. Just don't see him beating the Seahawks or Cards though.  He can probably beat the Rams twice.

Jeremy Kerley is entering just his second week with the 49ers, but he is already the team’s starting slot receiver and punt returner.

Actually, Kerley is the 49ers' only slot receiver and punt returner.

The 49ers released their first unofficial depth chart on Tuesday, as the club begins preparations to open the regular season on Monday night against the Los Angeles Rams.

Kerley was acquired last week in a trade with the Detroit Lions for offensive lineman Brandon Thomas and takes over the roles that Bruce Ellington would have filled this season. However, Ellington is on season-ending injured reserve after sustaining a torn hamstring in the 49ers' third exhibition games.

In Chip Kelly's offense, the 49ers list three starting receivers. Torrey Smith and Quinton Patton are the other starters in those spots.

The 49ers list Ray-Ray Armstrong and Gerald Hodges as the co-starters at the inside linebacker alongside NaVorro Bowman. Michael Wilhoite, who had been in competition for the starting spot, was listed behind Armstrong and Hodges.

The 49ers’ only backup offensive tackle is rookie John Theus. It remains to be seen if Theus will be one of the team’s 46 active players. Anthony Davis, who is listed as the starter at right guard, could move to either tackle position if right tackle Trent Brown or left tackle Joe Staley need a replacement.

Here is the 49ers’ depth chart:

OFFENSE
Slot WR: 17 Jeremy Kerley
LT: 74 Joe Staley
LG: 68 Zane Beadles, 65 Joshua Garnett
C: 67 Daniel Kilgore, 66 Marcus Martin
RG: 76 Anthony Davis, 61 Andrew Tiller
RT: 77 Trent Brown, 71 John Theus
TE: 89 Vance McDonald, 88 Garrett Celek, 84 Blake Bell
WR: 82 Torrey Smith, 13 Aaron Burbridge
WR: 11 Quinton Patton, 81 Rod Streater
RB: 28 Carlos Hyde, 24 Shaun Draughn, 22 Mike Davis, 32 DuJuan Harris
QB: 2 Blaine Gabbert, 7 Colin Kaepernick, 15 Christian Ponder
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/49ers-depth-chart-kerley-starts-slot/

This is the least excited I've been about a season opener in a long time.  Just ho-hum this season.  Question is, are the 49ers going to be just good enough to eek out 5 wins?  I think the Dline is going to be pretty good, and I think the Niners are going to have a pretty surprisingly good front 7, especially once Lynch comes back, and excited to see Buckner and Armstead.  If Ward has a decent season, this defense could really surprise.

But that offense, oof.  Big fan of Brown at RT, with Davis inside, and of course Staley is a beast.  I'm a big believer in Hyde, but of course, Gabbert.  Blaine fcking Gabbert.  

Another 5 - 11 season upcoming, and we'll be picking 7th-9th overall, again, and we'll miss out on a chance for Watson.

This is the least excited I've been about a season opener in a long time.  Just ho-hum this season.  Question is, are the 49ers going to be just good enough to eek out 5 wins?  I think the Dline is going to be pretty good, and I think the Niners are going to have a pretty surprisingly good front 7, especially once Lynch comes back, and excited to see Buckner and Armstead.  If Ward has a decent season, this defense could really surprise.

But that offense, oof.  Big fan of Brown at RT, with Davis inside, and of course Staley is a beast.  I'm a big believer in Hyde, but of course, Gabbert.  Blaine fcking Gabbert.  

Another 5 - 11 season upcoming, and we'll be picking 7th-9th overall, again, and we'll miss out on a chance for Watson.
I think there's reason to be optimistic everywhere except the offensive skill positions. Unfortunately, those positions are probably the least talented in the league. I may check out part of the opener just because I suspect the Rams may be just as bad, but I'm with you on your lack of enthusiasm. 

And there goes Anthony Davis.....again.

:pics:

49ers RG Anthony Davis is listed as questionable for Monday night's game against the Rams.

He missed Saturday's practice for a personal matter, putting his Week 1 status up in the air. Andrew Tiller is the 49ers' backup right guard.

Is there a little smiley with a gun to his head blowing his little smiley brains out? 

If so, it should be called :ninersfans:

The news about Davis potentially retiring on the eve of the first game didn't surprise me a bit. Says a lot about Davis. I just don't think he wants to play anymore but would really like to be paid the millions of dollars he would be if he did play. That would be awesome but it doesn't work that way. Sorry Anthony  

Garnett or Tiller shouldn't be a big drop off, if any, but certainly hurts the depth. Davis gave them a lot of flexibility since he could play RT too. 

Man, y'all are way kinder than I am. You see not much drop-off. I see drop-off when this team can hardly afford to lose anything.

and the timing sucks. It's like there's never a day without a little black cloud lately. 

The curse of the Yorks. 

Put me in the camp that has never been so meh about a season in forever. I hate York/Baalke/Kaep (somehow more this year than last year, and you can track the hate I had for him in the 2015 thread). 

I almost want to see a dumpster fire, maybe get Watson at number 1 next year and start rebuilding.

they appear to be at least fairly competent. I'm not repulsed by the Kelly offense & so far the pace and coaching seems decent.

ive never been so ambivolent about a game on opening day. 

:popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread