What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*--* 2015 Seattle Seahawks Thread *--* (2 Viewers)

Hunter seems a natural fit for what Seattle generally looks for.

Tom Cable has to be sitting there thinking, "My turn." IMO they take a ton of offensive linemen to compete for the interior spots. Also, I still think they are in need of more CBs and interior DL.

If there's a team proving you can get by with second hand WRs its Seattle. Sure, you would love to have more size and talent there, but I believe the Seattle brain-trust thinks they have higher priorities. Further, I think they addressed this need with the addition of Graham (which surprised me quite a bit). I was hoping they invested in a blocking TE.

I'm thinking this Russell Wilson-Seahawk baseball/contract spat is not going to end well.....
Why?

If I had to guess, this is posturing--something to add to the negotiation table to get a little more money. I don't see it as something he really thinks is possible in today's professional sports, but I suppose I have no idea of knowing what he's thinking...

I'm thinking this Russell Wilson-Seahawk baseball/contract spat is not going to end well.....
Why?

If I had to guess, this is posturing--something to add to the negotiation table to get a little more money. I don't see it as something he really thinks is possible in today's professional sports, but I suppose I have no idea of knowing what he's thinking...
The whole "people have told me I could never do xyz" thing that Russell always says. He marches to the best of a different drummer.

Why?

The whole "people have told me I could never do xyz" thing that Russell always says. He marches to the best of a different drummer.
He needs to have someone tell him "you can't hit over 230 in single A ball" and perhaps that would do the trick.

Seriously, he knows he doesn't have a real future in baseball. He tried, it didn't work--football was the fallback plan not the other way around.

FWIW, I am in touch with multiple N.C. State alums who know him personally, and they say he is serious about it. Not saying I believe it is feasible.

FWIW, I am in touch with multiple N.C. State alums who know him personally, and they say he is serious about it. Not saying I believe it is feasible.
All of the soundbites we hear in Seattle sure makes it sound like he is serious. I do understand that people think it is a money ploy, but I believe he is dead serious and his negotiations are held up because of that.

Targets in the 2nd round?

Im hoping they address the Oline but I feel like that makes wayyyyy too much sense so they will go elsewhere. Thoughts?

Im hoping they address the Oline but I feel like that makes wayyyyy too much sense so they will go elsewhere. Thoughts?
It really depends on who is there at 63. There's a handful of WRs which are no-brainers there and with the depth of WRs this year I think we might see a couple get there. I think that's a good play too as we're starting to question every year whether Marshawn will come back or not and we'll need to eventually shift to more of a passing offense someday.

Panthers are due vs. the Seahawks. Benjamin looked good last year against Sherman, could be trouble.

Panthers in the regular season for the 4th year in a row.

Panthers are due vs. the Seahawks. Benjamin looked good last year against Sherman, could be trouble.

Panthers in the regular season for the 4th year in a row.
They've played us tough 3 times in a row on their turf, but it's a very different beast up here. I don't really think we'll lose a home game (although I said the same before last year too).

Must be misremembering then. Thought I specifically remembered Benjamin beating Sherman for a dropped TD in the back of the endzone (regular season).

Must be misremembering then. Thought I specifically remembered Benjamin beating Sherman for a dropped TD in the back of the endzone (regular season).
My mistake. I was talking post season where he torched Simon many times on the left side.

In the regular season you're correct that Benjamin got Sherman twice.

:hifive: my bad as well.. playoff game slipped my mind for some reason

Last edited by a moderator:

<hijack>

Well, well. Look who finally came crawling back out of his cowardly hole of shame.

I'd WOULD say that I hoped you learned some humility while running and hiding, but this is a yearly occurrence with you so I'd probably be wasting my breath.

</hijack>

Is Seahawks pass rusher Bruce Irvin on the trade block?

NEW YORK — The Seattle Seahawks have declined to pick up the fifth-year option on linebacker Bruce Irvin, and there’s the possibility of a trade that would send Irvin to the Atlanta Falcons, various media reports said Wednesday night.

Ian Rapoport of NFL.com first reported Wednesday that the Seahawks had declined to pick up Irvin’s fifth-year contract option for the 2016 season.

Then Pro Football Talk.com said a league source reported “chatter already has emerged regarding a possible trade” that would send Irvin to the Falcons, reuniting him with coach Dan Quinn, the Hawks’ former defensive coordinator.

With the Hawks not planning to pick up the option on Irvin, he could be traded to a new team during the NFL Draft, which starts Thursday, and that team could then exercise the option before the May 3 deadline, Pro Football Talk noted.

The Seahawks drafted Irvin in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He had eight sacks as a rookie in 2012 and 6.5 sacks in 2014.

Is Seahawks pass rusher Bruce Irvin on the trade block?

NEW YORK — The Seattle Seahawks have declined to pick up the fifth-year option on linebacker Bruce Irvin, and there’s the possibility of a trade that would send Irvin to the Atlanta Falcons, various media reports said Wednesday night.

Ian Rapoport of NFL.com first reported Wednesday that the Seahawks had declined to pick up Irvin’s fifth-year contract option for the 2016 season.

Then Pro Football Talk.com said a league source reported “chatter already has emerged regarding a possible trade” that would send Irvin to the Falcons, reuniting him with coach Dan Quinn, the Hawks’ former defensive coordinator.

With the Hawks not planning to pick up the option on Irvin, he could be traded to a new team during the NFL Draft, which starts Thursday, and that team could then exercise the option before the May 3 deadline, Pro Football Talk noted.

The Seahawks drafted Irvin in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He had eight sacks as a rookie in 2012 and 6.5 sacks in 2014.
Rumor mill pre-draft. I pretty much ignore everything during this week. Gets even crazier with every sports guys looking to be first with a story. Accuracy with this sort of thing counts for nothing.

If they did or eventually do so, what's the significance of declining the 5th year option in your opinion? (honest question)

Or is there any?

If they did or eventually do so, what's the significance of declining the 5th year option in your opinion? (honest question)

Or is there any?
They have until May 3rd to decide on the 5th year option, so everything up until that day is just speculation. Sure, there could be a draft day deal, but I have my doubts just based on watching reporters randomly throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

If they did decline it, it doesn't matter much. They may just sign him to a longer term deal now instead of later. That said, I have my doubts. At some point you have to throw money at Wilson and Wagner. I would rather throw money at both of them instead of Irvin. IMO Irvin isn't a safe bet. If you follow him on Twitter you'll see he's a bit of a loose cannon. Hard to know for sure. Its not like we get to ever meet these guys and get to know them.

Or is there any?
They have until May 3rd to decide on the 5th year option, so everything up until that day is just speculation. Sure, there could be a draft day deal, but I have my doubts just based on watching reporters randomly throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

If they did decline it, it doesn't matter much. They may just sign him to a longer term deal now instead of later. That said, I have my doubts. At some point you have to throw money at Wilson and Wagner. I would rather throw money at both of them instead of Irvin. IMO Irvin isn't a safe bet. If you follow him on Twitter you'll see he's a bit of a loose cannon. Hard to know for sure. Its not like we get to ever meet these guys and get to know them.
Also should have mentioned that I think the 5th year option is a bad idea from the perspective that there's good chance that they could resign him to a deal that pays less than the $7.8 million dollar hit.

Does anyone out there think that Irvin is worth $7.8 million per year? Are there other teams that would pay this? I have my doubts.

Unless they get a 2 or 3 for Irvin they will sit on him. He will be motivated as hell this yr to get a big contract in FA.

Unless they get a 2 or 3 for Irvin they will sit on him. He will be motivated as hell this yr to get a big contract in FA.
This would put Wilson, Wagner, and Irvin (and Turbin, Lane, and Sweezy for that matter) all in the same boat playing for a contact. My guess is at least or two of them get extended before the season starts.

This would put Wilson, Wagner, and Irvin (and Turbin, Lane, and Sweezy for that matter) all in the same boat playing for a contact. My guess is at least or two of them get extended before the season starts.
I would be shocked if either of Wilson or Wagner are not extended before the season starts. Heck, I'd be surprised if it even gets particularly close to the season for either of them. I expect the team to let the rest of them play it out (or possibly trade Irvin).

So where are we at now after the draft?

With the additions of Jimmy, Clark :scared: , Lockett, a couple of linemen, then some projects beyond that, along with who they signed in free agency, we like where the team is headed this year?

Seatown Mofos said:
So where are we at now after the draft?

With the additions of Jimmy, Clark :scared: , Lockett, a couple of linemen, then some projects beyond that, along with who they signed in free agency, we like where the team is headed this year?
I'm optimistic we will win the NFC West again and we will challenge for a week 1 playoff bye again.

I think it will be *very* hard to go deep this year primarily because we have now played 6 extra games over the past 2 years that many other teams don't play in and that has to take effect at some point. But purely on paper we still look like one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the league and it would surprise me if we did end up going deep.

If he's still available in your league and you have roster room:

4. They Think Chris Matthews Will Be The Big Receiver In Seattle's OffenseSix-foot-five, 218-pound wide receiver Chris Matthews exploded in Super Bowl XLIX against the New England Patriots, recording the first four catches of his career for a game-high 109 yards and a touchdown.

Even with Matthews' breakout performance and the addition of the 6-foot-5, 265-pound pass-catching tight end Graham, many draft analysts expected the team to go after a big-bodied wideout in this year's draft. But the lone receiver the Seahawks selected was the 5-foot-10, 182-pound Lockett, decisions that left Carroll to say he's fine with the current size of his team's wide receiving corps.

"We go into this camp thinking that Chris is going to be a big guy and the big receiver in this offense," said Carroll. "He is as good as it gets to fill that expectation. We’ll see how he does."

Local and national media killing the Hawks for the Clark pick.

This going to have any effect going into the season? Is there a possibility they suspend Clark? They trade him away?

I don't know. Just don't see this going away... And this is making Pete and John look really bad.

This going to have any effect going into the season? Is there a possibility they suspend Clark? They trade him away?

I don't know. Just don't see this going away... And this is making Pete and John look really bad.
I disagree. Nobody is "killing" the Hawks for the Clark pick. I follow the beat reporters closely and no one other than Terry Blount at ESPN seems to have a strong opinion. Actually, his isn't even a strong opinion.

I disagree. Nobody is "killing" the Hawks for the Clark pick. I follow the beat reporters closely and no one other than Terry Blount at ESPN seems to have a strong opinion. Actually, his isn't even a strong opinion.
Story got picked up by the Seattle Times, look it up.

Story got picked up by the Seattle Times, look it up.
Odd how "Hawks didn't interview witnesses" is a story, but when the reporter only interviews one side it becomes a story. Of course they have a slanted and biased view. If the guy never does anything wrong from here on out this is a total non-story. There are quite a few missing details in that article on the Times.

My favorite part is where he "drank a fifth of Hennessy", but later blew a .000% blood alcohol level. How do people ignore a fact like that, but instead choose to believe emotionally charged words from obviously biased witnesses?

We all get to choose where we start when comes to our opinions. Do you give someone the benefit of the doubt without objective evidence? I choose yes. Further, I'm much more willing to believe that Schneider and Carroll did their due diligence when it comes to investigating Clark as opposed to Bob Condotta.

IMO this is going to be a non-story.

Hate the Clark pick.
I actually like it. Honestly I like most of the draft.
I like most of the draft but don't see why they take the headache involved with this guy. Honestly who really knows about these players. The "report cards" coming out of the draft are just for entertainment. What I like to see is they get value or more picks through trades for the future.

The linemen they got sound good and the kid out of KState sounds great. Wish he was a bit bigger.

They know way more than anyone else about how to do the draft right so gotta defer to them.

Hope Clark pans out and everyone deserves another chance.

After looking at more articles from various outlets it appears Mofos was onto something. I was wrong.

The saddest aspect is that all of these writers (save one) are only reporting the speculative salacious aspects of the story. Even Perter King at MMQB has jumped on this bandwagon. Greg Bell at the TNT (Tacoma News Tribune) looks like the only person that bothered to investigate the story before tearing into an emotional rant. LINK

And please, don't give me the "They're only asking questions". They're asking questions that they already can find the answers to, but instead choose to throw them out there hoping to inflame emotions. That's just weak.

After looking at more articles from various outlets it appears Mofos was onto something. I was wrong.

The saddest aspect is that all of these writers (save one) are only reporting the speculative salacious aspects of the story. Even Perter King at MMQB has jumped on this bandwagon. Greg Bell at the TNT (Tacoma News Tribune) looks like the only person that bothered to investigate the story before tearing into an emotional rant. LINK

And please, don't give me the "They're only asking questions". They're asking questions that they already can find the answers to, but instead choose to throw them out there hoping to inflame emotions. That's just weak.
If the guy is eligible to be drafted I don't see how w can criticize the Hawks for drafting him. This should be a league story - not a team story.

And the backtracking has begun...

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/prosecutor-i-dont-believe-seahawks-draft-pick-frank-clark-punched-or-slapped-girlfriend/

“From what I gathered, I do not believe he punched her, slapped her, anything like that,” Lynne Gast-King, municipal prosecutor for the city of Sandusky, told The Seattle Times on Wednesday
I still see a bad situation which probably escalated in a way he didn't expect. Not condoning anything here, but it doesn't appear this is exactly as "open, shut" as some of the media is making this out to be.

Article about the Wilson contract negotiations

By Danny O'Neil, 710 ESPN Seattle | May 7, 2015 @ 2:36 pm

Russell Wilson's 2015 salary – currently set for $1.5 million – could be a sticking point in his negotiations on a contract extension with the Seahawks. (AP)

Russell Wilson's contract extension was supposed to be a paint-by-numbers deal.

After all, Seattle has made a habit of extending the contracts of its best young players before they become free agents. From Max Unger in 2012 to Kam Chancellor in 2013 to Earl Thomas, Richard Sherman, Doug Baldwin, (pause for a breath), K.J. Wright and Cliff Avril last year.

Now, it's Wilson's turn. The quarterback who has won more games than anyone at his position in his first three years is eligible to negotiate a new contract. Some speculated a $120 million total was possible, with Wilson guaranteed to receive half that total. Others wondered if the Seahawks would fully guarantee the sum of a contract, an idea as unprecedented as it was unrealistic.

Over the past few weeks, it has become possible to sketch the general shape of some of the negotiations, not to provide hard-and-fast negotiating points but to show some of the issues the two sides will need to work out in order to bridge a gap that right now can be counted in the millions. Actually, it's closer to 10s of millions.

What follows is an attempt to answer some very basic questions based on discussions and information from various league sources familiar with the negotiations. The numbers mentioned here should be thought of as rough estimates more than exact negotiating points. The goal is not to define to the cent the monetary demands from Wilson or the offer from Seattle, but to show the bigger issues that are being discussed.

Q: Is Wilson going to be the NFL's highest-paid quarterback?

A: Not based on the Seahawks' opening offer. They're willing to pay him more per year than contemporaries like Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick, but they have not taken the dramatic step of vaulting him into the top tier of veteran quarterbacks in overall compensation.

Q: So what about this $120 million deal with half of that guaranteed that some were discussing?

A: Yeah, that's not happening judging by the opening tenor of negotiations. In fact, the Seahawks haven't put $100 million on the table right now. The offer of a four-year extension is believed to be worth closer to $80 million.

Q: That sounds like a $20-million-a-year raise.

A: Depends on how you count it. It would be $20 million a year in the four years being added to the deal. But what about the final year of Wilson's rookie deal, in which he's scheduled to make $1.5 million? If that's still there, you're talking about a five-year deal that will pay just over $80 million.

Q: Well, where would Wilson's deal rank against those of other quarterbacks?

A: Right now, the gold standard for contracts at the position is Aaron Rodgers' five-year, $110 million deal, which was signed in 2013. Ben Roethlisberger's five-year, $99 million contract from earlier this year is also instructive. What complicates things is that neither guy is coming off a rookie contract.

Q: Why in the world would that matter?

A: Because Wilson is scheduled to make $1.5 million next season. NFL teams aren't in the habit of giving raises out of the goodness of their hearts. In exchange for providing a significant raise down the road – and more importantly providing a huge signing bonus at the time of the extension – the team can leave that salary from the final year of the rookie deal in place. Sherman is a good example. He signed an extension last year and received a signing bonus of $11 million. His salary for last season – which would have been the final year of his rookie deal – was $1.4 million. He'll make $10 million in salary this year as the extension kicks in.

Q: Is that the way it worked for other quarterbacks coming off rookie contracts?

A: Well, there's not many quarterbacks with Wilson's pedigree. Not any, in fact, when you consider he has two Super Bowl appearances in three seasons as a starter and has won more games than any other quarterback to start a career.

The two biggest extensions for quarterbacks under the new collective-bargaining agreement have been Dalton's and Kaepernick's. Both signed six-year extensions that were glued on to the final year of their respective rookie deals.

In Dalton's case, it was a six-year, $96 million extension that he signed last year. For an apples-to-apples comparison to what is being discussed with Wilson, Dalton's deal is scheduled to pay about $52 million from the time he signed it through the first four years of the extension.

Kaepernick's is bigger, a six-year, $114 million deal that was signed last year. It will pay $72.8 million through those first four years of the extension, though more of that is tied to roster bonuses that won't be paid if he's not on the team.

It's worth noting that a shorter-term extension – such as the four-year arrangements Seattle has used – gives the player more earning opportunity (i.e. Wilson would get back to the bargaining table two years before Kaepernick if he were to receive a four-year extension).

Q: So who's right in this case?

A: Well, both sides have a point, which is why this negotiation isn't as straightforward as most people expected it to be. On the one hand, Wilson can argue that he deserves to be paid a total over the next five years that puts him alongside top veteran quarterbacks. On the other, the Seahawks have a point that they're using the same formula they've used with other elite players at their positions.

Q: What's the worst-case scenario?

A: There's no new deal, Wilson plays out the final year of his rookie contract with the expectation that he will be designated as Seattle's franchise player next offseason. Seattle can keep him by using that tag each year through the 2018 season, at which point Wilson could become a free agent as he's turning 30. No one wants that on either side, but you asked for worst-case.

Q: Does a deal get done?

A: I think so. There's still plenty of time, and the most common window for extensions across the league is in July before training camp starts. But there's no certainty.

In the worst case scenario cited above, here's how it would play out:

2015 - $1.5M (current contract)

2016 - ~$20M (QB franchise tag)

2017 - ~$24M (QB franchise tag, 20% raise)

2018 - ~$35M (QB franchise tag, 44% raise)

I have a hard time seeing that as a realistic worst case scenario. I suppose I could see the Seahawks franchising him twice if they can't come to terms, but it's much harder to see them paying him $35M for one season in 2018. So a more realistic worst case scenario is that Wilson would become a free agent after the 2017 season at age 29. Assuming his play doesn't decline and he does not suffer any career threatening injuries by that time, he would have just made $44M over 2 seasons, and I expect multiple teams would be willing to make him the highest paid QB in football. So I'm not sure how bad that worst case scenario actually is for Wilson.

It would certainly be a worst case scenario for the Seahawks, however. They still will have been paying Wilson for 2 years at $20M+ and thus they will be feeling the cap ramifications of that. And they would stand to have to replace a franchise QB, which rarely works out well for the team,, or give him an even bigger contract at that time than they would need to give him now.

I think it is much more likely that they extend Wilson's contract before this season.

People are freaked out over Wilson and I get weird texts from my friends asking me if this is going to go poorly. I always just say this: "When has Pete Carroll and John Schneider not rewarded their top players?"

It's going to get done people. This is the game and their are using your anxiety for positioning, that's all.

Players who are invited to rookie minicamp:

LB Tyrell Adams (West Georgia)
WR Ross Apo (BYU)
RB Jesse Callier (Washington)
SS Ace Clark (Western Carolina)
FB Brandon Cottom (Purdue)
FS Jeremy Crayton (Southern Arkansas )
OC Mike Criste (Washington)
TE Michael Hartvigson (Washington)
FS Quentin Hayes (Oklahoma)
OG Terry Johnson (Louisiana-Lafayette)
DS Dakorey Johnson (Kansas State)
SS Lamar Ivey (East Carolina)
DE Brandon Lee (James Madison)
P Kyle Loomis (Portland State)
OG Kamalie Matthews (Murray State)
DT T.Y. McGill (North Carolina State)
DE C.J. Olaniyan (Penn State)
DE Greg Reese (Utah)
TE Ronnie Shields (Kentucky)
LB Victor Simmons (Kansas)
WR Jeret Smith (McMurry)
TE Logan Stokes (LSU)

Possibly Keith Price as QB, but nothing has been announced.

proninja said:
Yeah, I'm not worried at all. It'll get done.
I'm still worried. Put me in the camp that he does not sign. He is just a different dude and the Hawks are not interested in tying up that much money in him.

Users who are viewing this thread