What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1st or 2nd Year RBs (1 Viewer)

Country Boy

Footballguy
Now that these guys have been in for a while, thought it would be useful to discuss dynasty upside of each:

Duke Johnson - Talented from the great Miami bloodline but will he follow the same path as countless Cleveland backs

David Johnson - Currently the 3rd option in a RBBC in Arizona. Think he may be at best Brandon Jacobs

Thomas Rawls - Over reachers will jump on this guy. Some one will take the place of Lynch, but have we thought the same with Michael, Turbin, etc.

Jay Ajayi - Loved him in college and he looks like the knee issues that cause him to slide are behind him. Does Miami resign Miller and if so what's the split between the two?

David Cobb - Not sure I trust the Titans to find the solution but if they settled on a lead back some one would look good next to Mariota

Were I to rank based on current data: Duke, Ajayi, Rawls, Johnson, Cobb

Thoughts?

I'll bite...

Duke Johnson - Clearly a major talent in the receiving game. Some will disagree but I believe he has not proven the ability to be a workhorse...in my opinion he hasn't shown great vision in the run game nor the ability to work well between the tackles. Add in the injury bug and I'm not convinced he will ever get (or deserve) the chance to be a true 20-touch-a-game back. But who knows....maybe he is next year's Davonta Freeman?

David Johnson - Not sure I agree with the Brandon Jacobs comparison. I think Johnson is a bit more shifty and a bit more explosive. I also think he is clearly a big step above what Jacobs ever was in the receiving game. I think Johnson has hit or miss value this season but a legitimate chance to be their #1 back possibly as soon as next season. This guy has real upside in my opinion.

Thomas Rawls - I find the Rawls talk completely entertaining....before he got his opportunities many people had him pegged as a "Super Sleeper" Dude gets a few starts and puts up lines like 16/104, 23/169, and 30/209 and suddenly people are like, "Well, I don't know...he;s no Marshawn....he was an UDFA....I bet his fizzles next year." I agree it's a small sample size but how could you not be impressed with what he has done? To me he looks the part, he's young, Lynch may not even be back next season.....agree he could fizzle, he could get hurt, he could be CJ Anderson Part II.....but to say his arrow is pointing any way but up is just plain silly in my book.

Jay Ajayi - Big time limited sample but I like his quicks and hard running. Furthermore I like that he is being used in the passing game as well. Good chance Miller doesn't come back next season and Ajayi is given the keys. Let's see how he looks the next 6 weeks and if his health holds up but also see his arrow pointing up right now.

David Cobb - Can't give this guy anything but an incomplete. Solid back in college and looked great in preseason but the injury and time on IR may have really set him back. I think the talent is there but I can't really say much more about him now than I could after the draft....and what about opportunity? Arrow isn't pointing down but it isn't pointing up.

If I had to rank these guys I'd probably rank them

Thomas Rawls

David Johnson

Jay Ajayi

Duke Johnson

David Cobb

David Johnson - Not sure I agree with the Brandon Jacobs comparison. I think Johnson is a bit more shifty and a bit more explosive. I also think he is clearly a big step above what Jacobs ever was in the receiving game. I think Johnson has hit or miss value this season but a legitimate chance to be their #1 back possibly as soon as next season. This guy has real upside in my opinion.
Johnson is a fantastic receiver - I also don't see the comparison with Jacobs other than they are both tall and big.

I think what is holding DJ back - at least this year - is that CJ is running so well, Arians' trust in vets/distrust in rookies, and DJ's proof yet that he can protect Palmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that these guys have been in for a while, thought it would be useful to discuss dynasty upside of each:

Duke Johnson - Talented from the great Miami bloodline but will he follow the same path as countless Cleveland backs

David Johnson - Currently the 3rd option in a RBBC in Arizona. Think he may be at best Brandon Jacobs

Thomas Rawls - Over reachers will jump on this guy. Some one will take the place of Lynch, but have we thought the same with Michael, Turbin, etc.

Jay Ajayi - Loved him in college and he looks like the knee issues that cause him to slide are behind him. Does Miami resign Miller and if so what's the split between the two?

David Cobb - Not sure I trust the Titans to find the solution but if they settled on a lead back some one would look good next to Mariota

Were I to rank based on current data: Duke, Ajayi, Rawls, Johnson, Cobb

Thoughts?
Honestly I mix the two D. Johnson's up and find them similar.

Andrews and Sankey are 2nd year so I'm not sure why bring up Cobb and not them. (Another thread, to be short) Gotta wait n see with Cobb. He's only had a "get feet wet" game.

I think Rawls did what those two couldn't- proved to be such good relief, they don't mind sitting Marshawn.

Ajayi is in a crowded situation. I don't like that. Damien seems to do well every camp but not as well in season which makes him an odd bird in the crowd here. I have struggled to switch between games and see him but he looks like 3rd down back when I have- an exciting one, but I'm not getting the feature back vibe. I wanted to look up how much he weighs and if he even has the body type to "carry the franchise."

I find it a bit disturbing that Sankey, West, Mason (I think there's more) are benched, inactive, cut etc a year after leading their team in rushing as a rook. Early this past offseason I shifted my dynasty focus to WRs and don't really care what RBs I have (don't care longterm) so much. Each day of 2015 I'm more pleased I did that.

I'm not gonna say I didn't think they all had issues but, in general, teams work through that and at worst they are a backup.

Oh Andre the Giant (not that guy) RB showed some as a rook. Team seems to have less trust or confidence in him in year 2, if not less usage.

Not that he's 1st or 2nd but I didn't think Starks could carry the load nor that Lacy would flop. Lacy finally doing well again...I might dip a toe in that water. The Pack did give him time and show some faith in him and it looks like he won his job back.

In dynasty at least teams still seem committed to WRs. The list of RBs I feel comfy with planning on having the next five years is slim.

What does Michael and Turbin have to do with Rawls?? Both of those guys combined have not shown half of what Rawls has.

I don't think you've ever watched David Johnson play, Country Boy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread