What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

🐴 *** 2023 Aniscule Thread *** 🇮🇹 Ha Vinto Il Cavallo Di Mio Cugina - ARCANGELO! 🇮🇹 🐴 (2 Viewers)

just got done poring over the complete bsf figs for the top 20ish this year ... and there were a formula that were hitting pretty consistently since the points system ...

the Derby winner had:

a - at least one triple digit bsf on their resumé

b - finished top 3 last prep

C - came home in under :37 in their last prep.

this year we only have three horses that meet all criteria:

Forte
Practical Move
Two Phil's

don't think the first two are any surprise, but Two Phil's 101 over the tapeta is eye-popping, not only for the surace he torched, but because it bettered his previous best fig by 12.

now, either he is on one of the biggest improves in recent memory, or that synth were jacked the eff up at Turfway.

he did look amazing tho, ngl.

i did mention that only one Ruby winner had ever taken down the KDerby (Animal Kingdom), but forgot to mention Rich Strike, who finished third there last year, with the fastest final third going in to Churchill.

btw - 50 of the last 60 winners of the KDerby were either first or second at the 1/8th pole.

Last edited:
just got done poring over the complete bsf figs for the top 20ish this year ... and there were a formula that were hitting pretty consistently since the points system ...

the Derby winner had:

Forte
Practical Move
Two Phil's

don't think the first two are any surprise, but Two Phil's 101 over the tapeta is eye-popping, not only for the surace he torched, but because it bettered his previous best fig by 12.

now, either he is on one of the biggest improves in recent memory, or that synth were jacked the eff up at Turfway.

i did mention that only one Ruby winner had ever taken down the KDerby (Animal Kingdom), but forgot to mention Rich Strike, who finished third there last year, with the fastest final third going in to Churchill.

btw - 50 of the last 60 winners of the KDerby were either first or second at the 1/8th pole.
I keep trying to get enthused about Two Phil's and Kingsbarns. Two Phil's had a win at Churchill in the slop in the Street Sense, winning on the wrong lead and unable to run straight in the stretch. If it's an off track, I'd definitely add him to the mix.

the Derby winner had:

Forte
Practical Move
Two Phil's

I keep trying to get enthused about Two Phil's and Kingsbarns. Two Phil's had a win at Churchill in the slop in the Street Sense, winning on the wrong lead and unable to run straight in the stretch. If it's an off track, I'd definitely add him to the mix.

very good move by TP's connections to get him outta the crosshairs of the Cox/Pletcher tsunami, and drop him into a softer spot to stamp his 100 pt ticket - he really looked the part, too - think they got something here.

as far as Kingy ... weren't his (or Prat's) fault they let him walk around the track like that - but it does beg concerns about handling rougher stuff n' hotter pace in that 20 horse field.

i kinda lean to him being more Gemologist/Malibu Moon than Super Saver.

For you to even utter "how the mighty have fallen", shows extreme bias.
This is just ridiculous lol. Otb is like me , he doesn’t care if he’s betting horses at Saratoga or the county fair

This years overall crop in Cali is weak….that’s all

I agree, this year's crop is suspect, certainly at this point. Especially when a 2nd tier Japanese horse finishes in a photo in the Santa Anita Derby.

But how that equates to "how the mighty have fallen" is nothing but embellishment, especially in the wake of one of the greatest racehorses to ever run laying waste to all comers just 6 months ago. And in the not-distant wake of not one, but TWO Triple Crown winners??? Give me a break.

Oh, but the Wood produced another boxcar donkey with no chance, yet again. Neat! Should we go over how they've fared over the years, instead of calling out a statistic anomaly (to this point)? I mean fair's fair, right (except when there's gross bias)?

Last edited:
- Prat stays on AoE for Cox at the KDerby - pretty good hook for this one, looks even better to me.

Pletcher/Kingsbarns now need a pilot.

looks like Johnny V gonna be up on Kingsbarns for Pletcher - longstanding relationship there - most logical move forward for all.

Florida/Gulfstream/Tampa Bay

FORTE & TAPIT TRICE
covered these two aplenty thus far, kicking off the thread with looks at both ... they have been the dominant stalwarts of the prep szn, and are deserved top two choices on the board.

both Pletcher trained, with Irad & Saez in the irons, respectively. connections don't get any better - toss in ownership of Forte by Queens boy Repole, and my wont for backing Tapits, and they were a no-brainer combo for me to feature as i did.

they both also wrapped up their prep campaigns with gutty scores in hotly contested stretch runs - immensely powerful and talented colts who responded to extreme pressure when presented - that put a huge exclamation point on their credentials heading to Churchill.

so, let's begin ...

Holy Bull - 2/4/23 - Rocket Can

Florida prep szn kicks off a bit later here, with a pretty average, nondescript affair - notable for the winner who will be running in Louisville, and who finally broke his maiden (0-4 as two yr old) for Mott.

also up in here and burning some coin were future Wood winner Lord Miles out the 1 hole ... but the big flop here were the Romans trained #4 Cyclone Mischief, who came in at even money.

Sam F. Davis - 2/11/23 - Litigate

switching over to Tampa now for a totally inconsequential affair - notable tho for the Pletcher trained winner, out of BC Champ Blame ... this one might've had some legs moving forward, but suffered injury, and is off our trail here - maybe he rebounds down the road.

Fountain of Youth - 3/4/23 - Forte

back at Gulfstream for the 3 yr old coming out party (if not the coronation) of the beast that is our current favorite for the Roses.

Pletcher built an extremely solid 2 yr old stakes foundation with him, going 4 for 5, taking the last 3 in a row, culminated by the stretch run waxing of prohib favorite Cave Rock at the BC Juvey

no surprise he went off here as 1/2 favorite - when ya know, ya know ... and we all knew.

this is also a very key race in regards to moving forward on the trail ... in the 6,7,8 holes here we have Blazing Sevens, Mage (much more on him coming up), Rocket Can - all on their way to Churchill ... not to mention Holy Bull flopper Cyclone Mischief coming out the 9 hole - he currently sits on the KDerby bubble, needing a few defections.

not much else to say here about Forte than i have already put forth in the thread previously ... the sweeping move by Irad here is a thing of beuaty, tho ... and no 3 yr old in the world were touching him once he hit top of the stretch.

Rocket Can backed up his Holy Bull score with a run that would've beaten anything but this friggin' freak, and Cyclone Mischief bounced back well enough from his previous DUD.

but howzabout Mage? making only his second career start, getting bumped and bounced and fanned out, yet still a very respectable 4th in this field - Javi has seen MUCH better days, and the jock switch by Pletcher for the Fla. Derby was a fait accompli, if not warranted, when you can snag Saez - no brainer, and a marked piloting strategy.

... meanwhile, something else is cooking upstate on the western coast ...

Tampa Bay Derby - 3/11/23 - Tapit Trice

before we go further, just look at his effortless stride ... big boy makes up a ton of ground once motoring, yet doesn't ever looked taxed ... a bit goofy, perhaps, but never looks to be laboring.

nice full dance card for this one, even if it's dotted with wallflowers - certainly not the ilk of horse flesh we just saw Forte dominate, but ... it ain't TT's fault, and Pletcher playing it straight by keeping his two big guys away from each other.

only current KDerby fodder up in here is Lord Miles, who goes off roughly 30/1 for Saffie, far cry from his 3/1 last time we saw him ... anyways, no wonder TT was the big favorite here.

but he had to answer some questions in this one: how would he handle his first Stakes try at at a mile+ with 2 turns? would his gate shennanigans hamper him?

Saez kept him well back there for a goodly portion - but you can see that huge gray start motoring around the 1/8th pole ... was 7th or so as they hit the stretch ... but then those long, powerful strides kicked in, and that were pretty much all she wrote.

as i said, not the greatest field - but he looked like he were just finishing a morning breeze as he crossed the wire - geared down and wanting that feed bag - even after being fanned 5 wide and having to pass 7 horses.

BAM!

... how will Forte respond back downstate?

Florida Derby - 4/1/23 - Forte

...  like that ^

the Champ went off at 1-5, with Mage a very distant second choice at 9/2 ... sometimes the oddsmakers hit it perfectly.

Forte came in here and gave a tremendous encore performance - starting from the dreaded 11 hole at Gulfstream is no picnic, that first turn hits in a flash - and i thought Irad gave an extremely mature (for him) and patient ride - he was the difference in this race, imo.

Mr. Peeks were supposed to be the rabbit, but for some unforeseen reason the #10 Fort Bragg bolted outta there, and tried to steal this on the engine ... i guess in retrospect it made a ton of sense, what with Forte hung outside him - Yakky gave Joel the GO! and they zoomed to the lead ... and this is where Irad's patience came into play - he knew he had the superior animal, so he rated back, keeping Forte deeper than he'd ever been.

once Yakky's plan fell apart, it were Mage coming four wide with first crack on the big sweep for home ... Forte was right on his hip, and ol' Cyclone Mischief were tight on his onside ... Mage dug in hard, but Irad had a bit more horse left in the tank, and flashed by in a blink ... tremendous effort by both.

we all knew about Forte, of course ... but Mage really impressed me here - showed a big step forward from his troubled 4th in the F.o.Y. - Saez had to move earlier than Irad, imo, lest he get fanned even wider ... the two of them showed ability to navigate traffic and find daylight, to rate and close with authority - and to dig in hard when eyeballed ... Forte is just the better horse atm, but i came away very impressed with Mage.

... how will TT answer this?

Blue Grass Stakes - 4/8/23 - Tapit Trice

... by shipping outta state to majestic Keeneland, for what would be as hotly contested a finish as the one at we just saw at Gulfstream.

here was my post about thos one from last week:

"TT broke clean, Saez moved a bit earlier than last out ... had him out in the 3 path, but found daylight - as i said about him last week, he can lug in the lane, and get sloppy on his leads ... and he looked a lil' bit goofy in that stretch yesterday - head tugging out, kinda looked disinterested - had contact from Verifying, which led to a ridiculous foul claim against Saez/TT.

just like the TB Derby, i never thought he was in danger of losing, tho - Saez had the much superior animal under him, and TT may have looked like he wanted to hit the concession stands instead, but that is one hell of a load once he gets underway - big boy seems to relish these stretch battles (he's had 4 now where he wouldn't be denied), and appears to sense that he may not always be firing 100%, but still understands the task at hand - no denying his heart - he's never looking "pretty" out there, but he also never looks overmatched or intimidated - still don't think he's run his best race yet, and that's a scary prop for the rest of the 3 yr olds out there.

lotta love for TT.

Verifying had everything go his way, even having the Mott horse on the engine, allowing him to rate off decent fractions - had a dream trip, but got hooked by the beast, and did not avail well with his bumping in the stretch duel."

now, the above seems a bit harsh on Verifying, in retrospect - he ran himself one hell of a banger - guess my post race thoughts regarding him were clouded by the bullchit foul claim ... but that ain't the colt's fault - my bad on that one.

as i mentioned in the Oaklawn dive, lotta credit to him (Verifying) for bouncing back with such resilience after his muddy 4th in the Rebel - he flattened out in the slop that day, yes - but Cox/Gaff had hum primed for this one, and, just like the ding-dong battle with Forte/Mage, these were the two favorites coming in - Verifying at 2/1 choice, while TT was allowed to go off at a plus odds of 8/5 ... getting anything more than even money back on that cat was a gift. case closed.

Verifying will most likely be in with the controlling speed front pack at Churchill - he's one to look closely at, though i don't favor him as much as Mage, but he did put the fear of Onion into TT.

Forte & TT earned the hype and top two slots on the wagering boards - both also showed a ton of heart in the process ... plenty to love here, folks.

NY/Aqueduct tmrw

- Prat stays on AoE for Cox at the KDerby - pretty good hook for this one, looks even better to me.

looks like Johnny V gonna be up on Kingsbarns for Pletcher - longstanding relationship there - most logical move forward for all.

Care to talk about ZENYATTA, who won 19 out of 20? Which will NEVER happen again. Or is that part of your "how the mighty have fallen" narrative?

Mike Smith has admitted it was his fault completely that she didn't go 20 for 20. Good for him. Honorable admission.

Yeah, tough times for SoCal, this last decade.

You mentioned the "Toddfather". Care to tell us his overall record in the Derby? I can help you if you like.

re: my talk of King Russell being a must use for me ...

i totally whiffed on not remembering, nor mentioning yet, that the 100 pt races now break down accrued points to the top 5: 100, 40, 30, 20, 10 as opposed to year's past when it were 100,50,30,20.

so the King will not be running, lest we get a slew of defections - this point reshuffling also denies Mandarin Hero, who is in same boat as KR - as are Disarm & Major Dude - all sitting with 40 points.

2nd place finishes in those preps used to be a free pass to the KDerby, but not any longer.

there's a solid group of six with 40+ pts, so it's gonna take a major exodus from that lot to sneak in these horses i mentioned.

Care to talk about ZENYATTA, who won 19 out of 20? Which will NEVER happen again. Or is that part of your "how the mighty have fallen" narrative?

Mike Smith has admitted it was his fault completely that she didn't go 20 for 20. Good for him. Honorable admission.

You mentioned the "Toddfather". Care to tell us his overall record in the Derby? I can help you if you like.
go away

WORK ALERT

Rocket Can drills 4f in 46.6

:excited:

.... he's always been impressive in the mornings, but that's some friggin' next level giddyup

Fan of the Tapit gray. Biggest concern is start/post position in the KD, hoping for the best draw there. His old white haired pops deserves a Derby winner.

Fan of the Tapit gray. Biggest concern is start/post position in the KD, hoping for the best draw there. His old white haired pops deserves a Derby winner.

draw from 10-15 would be ideal, imo ... don't want him getting pinched inside if he starts slow ... also allows Saez room in the middle of the track to pick his tuck spot - gotta keep him closer to the engine, and within Forte's zip code.

go away
Go learn.

Or try and refute what I've stated, counselor. "go away" is not the strongest of arguments.

Last edited:
New York/Aqueduct

it's still a grand old joint ... a dilapidated, ramshackle, cavernous relic of old school NYC - reminiscent of the original Yankee Stadium, what with it's grandstand overhang, the view obstructing columns, and the huge lot of real estate it encompasses.

there's always talk of the inevitable razing - and it'll happen soon enough ... the day the 'dozers and plows come calling is gonna be a sad one up here - though i'm closer to Belmont these days, The Big A will always be the "home track" ... the City's track - Belmont will always be considered on the Island.

glad to say the bathrooms fully worked this year on opening day, first time in years ... but the odor wafting in off Jamaica Bay & the old Flatlands dumps (100s of mob hit bodies still unearthed) was strong as ever - a stench that resonates like none other ...

... lest, of course, we talking about the stench of this circuit in regards to KDerby glory - gotta go all the way back to the beginning of this century ... tail end of the Clinton years, the Twin Towers were still standing ... May 2000 - Fusaichi Pegasus, under Kent Desormeaux ... that's it.

we have had some graduates/winners clunk up to bottom exotics, and others go on to scores in the back two legs ... but it feels like a generation since the last KDerby glory.

Bellamy Road in '05 were what started tipping it for me ... looked like a world beater - blazed a wicked victory here - then got swallowed up in the big Giacomo hit at Churchill ... didn't use a Wood horse as key again until 2012 with the Pletcher colt Gemologist - and that were the last time i did.

recent vintage has tossed some decent contenders out there, but 2023 might be the weakest yet ... no, check that, it's complete horsechit ... not even worthy of the GII status the Wood has been relegated to. case closed.

let's get to it ...

Jerome - 1/7/23 - Lugan Knight

nothing here, except for Brown and (the disgraced) Rice trying to get some trail momentum here with the co-favorites ... only to be nipped by Big A gym rat Davis. some newer shooters than the Remsen, but ... again, nothing here.

Withers - 2/11/23 - Hit Show

pretty much same cast of characters, and this were the best the circuit had to offer at this time - ripe as hell spot for Cox to parachute in with one in hopes of bagging some points, to go along with his Fair Grounds & Oaklawn prospects.

goes off as pretty much even money favorite, then rates back as second choice Arctic Arrogance (fitting) gets softened by longest shot on the board - Rice (AA's trainer) is a straight turf sprint master - this ain't her specialty.

Cox watches Manny boot home with ease, and knows he has another KDerby horse here - looking much the best of a lousy lot.

Gotham - 3/4/23 - Raise Cain

Hit Show sits this one out, as Cox tries to glom more cheap points from the 11 & 13 holes ... we have a ton of new faces in this huge field, Pletcher & Yakky saddle up the 9 & 5, respectively ... and Lugan Knight returns to try and punctuate his Jerome score.

but it's the 2 horse, Howgreatisnate, that steals the show ... unseating Acosta out the gate, then getting out in front and diving to the rail in the stretch - and here comes Raise Cain outta nowhere, announcer had a Mine That Bird moment here, not noticing the winner 'til deep stretch.

the win puts Raise Cain in the KDerby for Lezcano/Colebrook.

Wood Memorial - 4/8/23 - Lord Miles

Cox is back with Hit Show, and Pletcher giving maiden Dreamlike a saddle ... they are the two favorites, coming out the extreme ends, the 12 & 1 hole, respectively.

Rice wheels Arctic Aroogance back out, and Slip Mahoney is under Dylan Davis, also for Cox.

Saffie has the two longest shots on the board coming out the 3 & 8 holes.

they went a glacial opening half, but the two favorites found themselves battling with Arctic Arrogance as we hit the stretch ... but here comes Paco & Lord Miles - very impressive closing run considering how slowly the race unfolded.

best stretch battle of the szn, with three seperated by nose hairs ... but it were Saffie's 59/1 shot that got the picture taken - and on to Louisville they go.

Saffie just won the trainer crown down Gulfstream, and is a pretty competent cat - i am more enthused about using Lord Miles this year than i were about using White Abbario last year (i wound up tossing him).

no pressure on him coming in to this KDerby ... this is where he can do damage, imo - Lord Miles sure as hell ain't winning, but he'll be on all my vertical plays.

see ya on the A train ...

Lexington Stakes - Keeneland - 5:15 Post Time

last of the preps, notable for La. Derby runner-up Disarm, who will be coming out the 6 hole in this field of 10 ... pretty much just hast to hit show dough (6 pts awarded) to qualify for the KDerby, as he is one of the 5 or so sitting on the board with 40 pts accrued atm ... this would also leap him over Skinner, Cyclone Mischief, Jace's Road, Reincarnate - all sitting with 45.

Asmussen has not had great success shipping here, tho ... and will get tested by the #5 First Mission (Saez/Cox) and the #8 Empirestrikesfast, who has legendary Frankie Dettori up for Mott ... GO GET 'EM FRANKO!

but biggest threat may be Baffert & Irad teaming up with the #11 Arabian Lion - ignore at your own peril.

I plan to be at the race in Keeneland at the end of the month. I'm a total noob but my Aunt is a long time Keeneland employee and she's taking me.

What should I look for?

the color, pageantry, characters - nothing beats a day at the track, especially a facility like Keeneland, which may be the most gorgeous surroundings in the country - it's hallowed ground of American racing - their abbreviated meets are the most jam-packed of the season ... Saratoga has a longer meet, as does Del Mar, but bang for the buck is best at Keeneland.

this Spring session wraps up two weeks from today, is that the weekend you'll be there? or the weekend prior?

I plan to be at the race in Keeneland at the end of the month. I'm a total noob but my Aunt is a long time Keeneland employee and she's taking me.

What should I look for?

the color, pageantry, characters - nothing beats a day at the track, especially a facility like Keeneland, which may be the most gorgeous surroundings in the country - it's hallowed ground of American racing - their abbreviated meets are the most jam-packed of the season ... Saratoga has a longer meet, as does Del Mar, but bang for the buck is best at Keeneland.

this Spring session wraps up two weeks from today, is that the weekend you'll be there? or the weekend prior?

Thanks. I'm not sure what day we're going. We'll be there 4/26-30.

What should I look for?

Thanks. I'm not sure what day we're going. We'll be there 4/26-30.

i've never been in person, but if there is a bucket list track, it's Keeneland.

can't help as far as the on-site peripherals go, but we can 'cap the card, if need be.

i know we have at least a handful+ that post here who've done the KDerby - not sure about Keeneland.

... final prep of the szn, and it had big ramifications - and prime IRAD 😁

Lexington - 4/15/23 - First Mission

Asmussen in Disarm's ear: "ok, you clunked up to 2nd behind that snoozer Kingsbarns in the La. Derby, so now all you need is a 3rd place finish to get me to Churchill ... go get 'em!"

forget about that mule for a second ... this was all about Irad's ride on Arabian Lion - him & Baffert decide to try and steal this on the lead, and they are allowed soft fractions up front (just like the La. Derby for Disarm), but Saez had other ideas.

as they turn for home, Irad fans out just a bit, and Saez zooms the winner to the vacated rail - upon seeing this, Irad dives right the eff in , damn near tossing them over the fence 😅

i spoke of his hyper aggressive style being the calling card, and it's funny inasmuch that the cat keeps doing it with minimal repercussions - which is why i thought his patient ride on Forte in the Fla. Derby was so noteworthy ... i called it "mature" for him.

matter of fact, the biggest obstacle to Forte in the KDerby is prolly Irad himself - by getting taken down by some jackarse chit like we see in this race ... he's a catastrophe waiting to happen, but also a top 3 rider in the gig, if not (arguably) the best - but he dirty, folks.

Saez has been here/done that with Irad plenty of times - this incident had everything to do with Irad trying to intimidate Luis, putting that edge on him, seeing as how Saez will likely be piloting Tapit Trice in the KDerby - message SENT - but also dismissed, as Saez held his cool and position, and did not get rattled ... real pro right there.

back to Disarm - yeah, all he needed were 3rd to qualify, and they got it - but he were under a hell of a ride as they hit top of the stretch ... this may be your 20th place finisher in 3 weeks, for those who entertain that kinda wager on Derby day.

this also pushes more bubble horses too far down the line - horses that would most likely fare better, and who would merit consideration on the deeper verticals - but, for the bettors, Disarm is most welcome, as we have an auto toss from all configs.

Baffert may wheel Arabian Lion back for the Preakness, along with (hopefully) Cave Rock - make no mistake, he will be balls out to exact some revenge by taking down the Derby winner and playing spoiler with the Triple Crown prospects ... if anybody could do it, it's Bob.

freakin' Irad ... jeezzusss

:deadhorse:

Last edited:
freakin' Irad ... jeezzusss
I told my wife yesterday that Irad is going to get someone killed one of these days

I feel like the other jocks all need to jump him and kick the crap out of him and get him to knock this **** off

yeah ... i don't find it "funny" that there could be some fatalistic outcome at some point, to either horses or riders, or both - just that he continues unabated, for the most part.

he has had some discipline handed down, but seems to me he merits a cumulative penalty of sorts - this ain't gonna end well.

gotta love an aggressive jock who gets every last inch outta his animal, but there are a line, and he's crossed it plenty of times.

rather than the jock room pulling a CODE RED, it should be the connections that start to send the message by passing on mounts for him ... not necessarily collusion, mind you, but more of a freeze.

dunno ... he's on an island these days - nobody else rides like this cat.

btw, not to be lost in all this is the terrific run by First Mission - colt hung impressive figs in his first two outings, and showed the grit to go with the glitz yesterday - great showing.

Cox has him on a very steady improve, and they are likely to be in Pimlico, pending the shape of the Cox barn coming out the Derby.

rather than the jock room pulling a CODE RED, it should be the connections that start to send the message by passing on mounts for him ... not necessarily collusion, mind you, but more of a freeze.
Agreed

Won’t happen though, too much $$$ involved

Agreed

Won’t happen though, too much $$$ involved

of course ... but ya never kno

loved seeing him paired with Baffert yesterday - gave a WWE-like vibe, what with the two heels teaming up 😅

both are best in the biz, no doubt ... but 99% of the folk who didn't bet on Arabian Lion were screaming for "good guys" Saez/Cox down that stretch.

(i had Arabian Lion, btw)

all that were missing were a Mean Gene innerview in the winner's circle, with Baffert (as Bobby the Brain) crashing it and clocking Cox with a folding chair 💺

Just watched a re-run of Authentic taking out New York's best hope in a long time, Tiz the Law. What a great race. And what a cool story for all the owners of Authentic.

Isn't there a poster in here that bought some shares of that partnership? Was it before that Derby or after?

two final qualifying preps to look at, these were out the major circuits, and one is generating a ton of buzz, so ... let's go

UAE Derby - 3/25/23 - Derma Sotogake

Kingsbans, redux.

exactly like the Pletcher colt's race in the Louisiana Derby ... pretty much wired them, with little urgency or legit pressure.

the #6 (also a Japan bred) is on his hip for the goodly part of this ... but it seems more like an escort, guarding his outer flank - didn't really see him (#6) giddyup until Derma started pulling away, and he were frantically trying to hold second.

before i go on about the winner, i am seeing some slight buzz on 3rd place finisher Continuar, who has shipped here and has KDerby qualifying cred due to his Japanese campaign - he has a gate if they wanna run, and he is in Kentucky ... but i just don't get the angle, other than "contrarian" to the more heralded Derma - i just don't see anything here - maybe his Japan footage tilts better, but i'm not buying it.

back to Derma ...

akin to Kingsbarns in race complexion, yes - but they are going a much brisker pace here ... no speed figs available, and the final time is always disputed, but this horse definitely got around virtually the same distance a hell of a lot quicker - before pulling away as much the best, just like Kingy.

the two Japanese shippers (Crown Pride/Summer is Tomorrow) went full kamikaze on the KDerby field last year, laying down ridiculously suicidal fractions ... like a 440 qtr horse affair, i tell ya.

i expect to see the pendulum swing way back this year, which is really no great stretch, as the pace of '22 is not one many aspire to if they are serious about this gig - harkens back to the days of the cheap speed money sprinters, pre points system - it ain't gonna happen.

but will it be like Medina Spirit, who just got out kinda soft, then was never headed? very possible.

i'm expecting reasonable fractions, and this cat should be up with Verifying/Confidence Game/Kingy/Practical Move/Two Phil's ... they can easily be the lead pack here - and remember, 50 of the last 60 winners been either first or second coming out the half mile.

so if you like this kid, and are buying the hype, you will get your money's worth for as long as he holds first flight ... but he has lost all value as a win bet, imo - he's creeping into that top 5 range, if he's not already 4th (Forte/TT/PM) - and i much prefer the more versatile Angel of Empire, at a better price, from that second tier if i were gonna hip a punter to a straight WIN wager outta that lot - or the rapidly improving Two Phil's, who is really growing on me.

UAE Derby refugees have been a complete failure here, most notably the eye-popping Mendelssohn, who finished 20th ... now, i kno that these are Japan horses this year, and that Mendy were Ky. bred ... and that Japan has been nothing short of dominant on the world stage as of late ... but a horse who took 4 tries to break his maiden, then dusted a suspect field in a race that has come up as nothing short of BUBKIS thus far, is a very tall order to pimp as a potential winner.

jury is out for me about using him on the verticals ... leaning to taking the "let them prove they can hit the friggin' board at least once" stance ... but he'll be forwardly placed in a field bereft of solid engine speed ... so he does have that going for him.

Sunland Derby - 3/26/23 - Wild on Ice

wherein a longshot rakes the prize after the frontrunners blow themselves out ... can you say "Mine That Bird"?

MTB was a reasonable 13/1, whereas WoI goes of at a whopping 35/1 - but here we go with similar path to Churchill.

the two favorites here hook up in a frantic pace, looking like last year's KDerby - wtf is the rush, fellas? absolutely blowing themselves out, and allowing circuit vet Ken Tohill to pick up the pieces atop Wild on Ice ... bizarre race, this.

most curious is One in Vermillion, who sits back of pack here, then returned two weeks later to blaze up front fractions in the S.A. Derby ... talk about your strategy shifts, eh?

the winner does have Tapit in the line, and had some middling success bouncing around the SW circuit ... but nobody saw this - much like his '09 predecessor, and he'll likely go off in that same 50ish/1 range - i think the MTB shtick will draw a bit of backing, but who knows - he could be the longest shot entered.

Last edited:
Just watched a re-run of Authentic taking out New York's best hope in a long time, Tiz the Law. What a great race. And what a cool story for all the owners of Authentic.

Isn't there a poster in here that bought some shares of that partnership? Was it before that Derby or after?

Yeah bought shares in June, after he qualified to run the Derby, but it was delayed to September by covid. He'd lost a race just before being sold. Snuck into the Haskell Stakes over the summer and won that while waiting for the Derby, which made for a nice trifecta with the Breeders Cup. Lost the Preakness by a nose to a filly running the best day of her life. Hell of a ride with him for sure in 2020.

Had 170 foals last year, can't wait to hear how many this year.

Latest odds for the top 20 selections - Caesars/Circa/Westgate, respectively - best odds for each in bold.

Two Phil's @25-1 is the nice value swing.

Forte2-15-29-5
Tapit Trice6-15-16-1
Practical Move9-18-18-1
Derma Sotogake12-111-110-1
Verifying12-19-112-1
Kingsbarns14-110-112-1
Angel of Empire14-116-112-1
Mage24-118-120-1
Two Phil’s22-125-125-1
Confidence Game28-135-140-1
Hit Show30-140-130-1
Skinner40-140-140-1
Disarm40-146-140-1
Blazing Sevens28-155-140-1
Reincarnate35-155-150-1
Lord Miles40-160-150-1
Rocket Can42-155-160-1
Raise Cain42-164-160-1
Cyclone Mischief50-170-140-1
Continuar75-155-130

- speaking of the great value of Two Phil's up on the Vegas board, here's a look at his rip in the Ruby ... i did not get around to this race yet, shoulda included it with the UAE/Sunland yesterday - but let's wrap the 2023 preps:

Jeff Ruby Stakes - Turfway Park - 3/25/23 - Two Phil's

and that there effort is your top speed fig of the szn - awarded a swift 101 for the victory, putting him with Forte & Practical Move as the only horses in the KDerby field to have hit triple digits ... as has been said a few times already thru this thread, this is a group bereft of any eye-popping performance, the kind that just says "if he goes, he'll never be caught"

your top two contenders (Forte/TT) are much more comfortable coming off the pace, and have shown no reason for strategy tweak, tho TT were more forwardly placed last out at Keeneland.

so ... let's go back to the old formula here with Two Phil's:

100+ speed fig? check
Top 3 finish last prep? check
Came home sub :37? check

again, only Forte & Practical Move can match those credentials, and they are currently #1 & #3 on your wagering board.

Rivelli dropped him in here for the Ruby after finishing second in the Lecomte (Instant Coffee/TP's/Confidence Game), followed by a third in the Risen Star (AoE/Sun Thunder) - the connections dodged the big boy timber, and found their boy a KD berth - good on 'em.

run over the synth Tapeta surface, btw ... but a full bug "100 pts to the winner" prep - so this were a great spot for Hard Spun's boy.

other big name trainers squeezed into the field, as well - looking to vault a barn also-ran, or a falling star (Congruent) to Churchill.

the race were run at a very honest pace, kinda akin to what one might expect for the KDerby ... TP's had a bit of traffic trouble, but Loveberry patiently found his seam, and cut on a sharp as hell dime coming home - Two Phil's took that big sweeping turn like a champ - gorgeous turn of foot coming home - then pulled away with ease.

if his connections read "Pletcher/Ortiz" or "Cox/Prat" this horse would easily be regarded as a top 5 option ... but "Rivelli/Loveberry" don't have that kinda caché - we all know it.

horse built a sturdy 2 yr old foundation, to boot ... 3 for 5, including 2 stakes, one of which were the Street Sense, won over a sloppy Churchill surface - so we know we have a top player if it's an inclement Derby day.

there are enough knocks, tho, to keep his price very inviting: small time connections, only win this year were on that synth over a dodgy field, sire not known for getting the extra distance, etc

but i think he's on a big improve, and has won over dirt, mud, synth - versatility - can go out with lead pack, or sit chilly with second flight, and showed last out he can find that gear when pressed - does he move forward? bounce? is that Turfway fig, some 12 pts higher than his previous best, an anomaly?

he's a must use for me on my verticals, and for folks looking for straight win value, i see him as best in that respect - a tall order, but current 25-1 is worth the stab, even if i really never recommend win wagers, i think he's priced right for a score ... should not be this far apart from the Japanese horse, imo.

Turf Paradise here in Phoenix is getting bought by a developer. It’s only a matter of time before they stop racing there. No real surprise.

pretty sure they just renovated both their turf & flats circuits ... huh. that's odd.

is it a Racino?

Turf Paradise here in Phoenix is getting bought by a developer. It’s only a matter of time before they stop racing there. No real surprise.

Toast. Los Al will be a crap mall or condos once Dr Ed Allred kicks the bucket, but that's the quarters, mainly.

Racing in the west is going the way of the dinosaur. Except for SoCal, which is hanging by a thread, but also kicking ***. Especially when you consider the sheer amount of barns/horses they take on when shipping. They deliver.

And if you want to bring up any sort of "cheating", careful what you claim. That list comes from both coasts, and in between, make no mistake. And what's legal in one state may be, or is simply not legal in another. This isn't the NFL.

Last edited:
It's going to be an industrial park. One, maybe two meets left before it shuts down.

Arizona Downs also just got sold, but it was Stronach that bought it, so they'll probably keep racing there.

Kingsbarns, Mage and Blazing Sevens the last entries to not have jockeys announced.

Geroux is committed to Jace's Road, which still needs a spot in the gate. Biggest name without a mount is Jose Ortiz.

Users who are viewing this thread