What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✦✦✦ Official 2015 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread &#10 (1 Viewer)

The one thing that is clear to me is that Ben has lost confidence in Bryant. It puts a lot more pressure on Ben to throw to Antonio. That has been working out well so far but eventually teams will adjust and the other guys (Wheaton, Bey and hopefully Bryant) will need to deliver.
Ben's got to get over it. Bryant is too much of a playmaker to ignore.
He has to learn to catch the damn ball, but I'm 99% sure he'll see a lot of snaps against Cincinnati anyway. Even if he's only targeted 2-3 times, he's gone ape against the Bengals in the past and they are going to have to account for him on the field with more than one defender. His presence alone will open some things up.

Unless Williams can't play and the Bengals play 6-7 in the box and heavy nickel, then all bets are off.

DW's MRI showed no fractures or structural damage. Officially day to day. He seems optimistic that he'll play Saturday.

I would be in favor of Dalton playing this Saturday at less than 100%. It could be similar to Ben's return game against Cincy earlier in the year. I prefer facing a rusty/injured Dalton over a healthy AJ. Hopefully the Bengals force him in.

Ben Roethlisberger insists it comes with the best intentions but his comments regarding the need for Martavis Bryant to “toughen up” for the team during the postseason nevertheless were pretty candid.

The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback was making an appearance on Pittsburgh’s 93.7 The Fan on Tuesday morning when he pointed out that for the team to beat the Cincinnati Bengals on Saturday night, Bryant needs to be much better than he has been of late.

“Not that I’m shying from saying this [to Bryant]. It comes from love,” he said, as transcribed by Pro Football Talk. “He needs to understand that…at this time of year you have to toughen up. You have to make tough plays, you have to make tough catches and you have to find ways to do everything you can to help this team.”

The wide receiver especially needs to improve upon his performance in last Sunday’s win over the Cleveland Browns, when he caught one pass for zero yards, says Roethlisberger, a game that followed a one-catch, six-yard game against the Baltimore Ravens.

Roethlisberger did acknowledge that Bryant was ill last week, which didn’t help. But he feels the wide receiver is the type of player who needs to be challenged to excel.

“Does he want to crumble and wilt and pout and let it bother him?” he asked. “Or does he want to rise up, step up, say ‘I’ll take that challenge’ and does he want to be the best in the world?”

1. There seems to be a lot of love in the media for the Steelers this week (and in general for the playoffs).

2. It does not seem likely that DW will play (much or well) in this game against the Bengals.

These sentences don't match in my mind. Am I being too negative? Am I overestimating DW's importance?

1. There seems to be a lot of love in the media for the Steelers this week (and in general for the playoffs).

2. It does not seem likely that DW will play (much or well) in this game against the Bengals.

These sentences don't match in my mind. Am I being too negative? Am I overestimating DW's importance?
I'm guessing DW sits this week and is ready to go in Denver if the Steelers win. The game is going to be on Ben's shoulders and I'm about 50/50 on whether or not he's up for the task. Hopefully Fitz is decent at picking up blitzes and has some ability to catch. I don't anticipate the Steelers having any semblance of a running game (with or without DW).

I don't think you are overestimating his importance at all. We saw last what happened last year in the playoffs when the Steelers had no credible running back and it wasn't pretty.

Obviously they'll miss DeAngelo as a runner but the bigger impact will be in the passing game: How well can Toussaint block, run screens and act as a safety valve for Ben? These are all unknowns but it is unlikely he will be as good as Williams. The Steelers will also likely give a few touches to FB Will Johnson and backup Jordan Todman (who I actually like better than Toussaint) but they are after thoughts.

If the Steelers had a healthy Williams I would take the Steelers and give the points but without him I think the game is pick 'em at best. Take the Bengals & the points.

Dalton is not playing.

After seeing that practice film today, it just isnt possible. He cant even risk throwing with his right hand, despite the removal of a cast. Game is just 4 days away.

I think you're underestimating the difference between Dalton and McCarron. From a Bengals perspective, if the Bengals win the D will have to shut it down.I get what you're saying about DWill, but the difference between missing a RB and missing your QB is a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think you're underestimating the difference between Dalton and McCarron. From a Bengals perspective, if the Bengals win the D will have to shut it down.I get what you're saying about DWill, but the difference between missing a RB and missing your QB is a lot.
Good point though after seeing Ryan Mallet put up 275 yards for a 95% passer rating against the Steelers defense ANY quarterback looks scary.

No surprised but Ian Rapoport is saying that Williams is out this week (but will likely play against Denver if the Steelers get past the Bengals)

So here we go again. How does everyone feel about Fitz, Todman and Will Johnson?

No surprised but Ian Rapoport is saying that Williams is out this week (but will likely play against Denver if the Steelers get past the Bengals)

So here we go again. How does everyone feel about Fitz, Todman and Will Johnson?
Not good. Not good at all. Bengals were already good at masking coverages and baiting Roethlisberger into throwing picks, now they can commit more defenders to the pass and will likely be able to put the Steelers' offense into positions where Ben is going to force the action. We all know what happens when that's the case.

Cincinnati 24 Pittsburgh 20.

Normally I would say starting QB but this situation is a little different. McCarron has been the starting QB for weeks now and we all know Dalton's record in the playoffs. The Steelers have big question marks at RB -- neither has ever started an NFL game and have little experience even as backups. It is really impossible to know how these guys are going to do.

I am particularly concerned about this will impact the passing game. The Steelers passing attack relies a lot on the RB and so they have no idea what either of these guys bring to the table in that regard.

I think for this one game that losing the starting RB might be a greater impact than the loss of Dalton.

So...what's everyone thinking about tomorrow night? Can we overcome loss of deangelo? Will martavis show up & can Ben play mistake free. I think steelers need to score 1st and early to plant the seeds of doubt in cincy.

So...what's everyone thinking about tomorrow night? Can we overcome loss of deangelo? Will martavis show up & can Ben play mistake free. I think steelers need to score 1st and early to plant the seeds of doubt in cincy.
Scoring early would certainly be a help. One of these years we might be able to go into a playoff game with LeVeon Bell and Maurkice Pouncey on the field.

Normally I would say starting QB but this situation is a little different. McCarron has been the starting QB for weeks now and we all know Dalton's record in the playoffs. The Steelers have big question marks at RB -- neither has ever started an NFL game and have little experience even as backups. It is really impossible to know how these guys are going to do.

I am particularly concerned about this will impact the passing game. The Steelers passing attack relies a lot on the RB and so they have no idea what either of these guys bring to the table in that regard.

I think for this one game that losing the starting RB might be a greater impact than the loss of Dalton.
I honestly believe it is in this case, as odd as that may sound. This is much worse than losing Le'Veon - at least when he went down, we had a capable veteran backup ready to take the reins. Now, we're left with a situation not entirely unlike going into the playoffs last year with Ben Tate, Josh Harris, and Dri Archer back there. If Dalton has gotten hurt in last week's game and it was to be McCarron's first start, then that would be a different story. But McCarron has a few starts under his belt now and the numbers comparing him and Dalton this season aren't as lopsided as you think :

Dalton 62.3% comp - 266 ypg - 3.5-1 TD/INT ratio

McCarron - 66.4% comp - 208 ypg - 3-1 TD/INT

So yes, they lose something with Dalton being out, but I honestly don't think the drop-off from Andy to AJ is as dramatic as from DeAngelo to Toussaint.

Put it to you this way, if somehow the football gods came to me and said I could have DeAngelo back for this game at 100%, but if I chose to exercise this, it meant Dalton would be back and 100% as well, I would take the trade in a heartbeat.

Steelers definitely need to get out front early and put the pressure on McCarron. They also need to win the turnover battle. I know this goes without saying in general, but I think it's particularly important tomorrow. If the Steelers turn the ball over 2-3 times and fail to match with takeaways, we're going to lose and maybe by a substantial margin. Ben needs to be sharp and I totally agree - Martavis is HUGE in this game. The Bengals are going to roll coverage to AB, they'd be moronic not to. Martavis needs to make that over-the-shoulder catch and needs to be able to get his feet down on the sideline. He needs to be able to pull the 50/50 ball in when the defender gets a hand on it.

Steelers definitely need to get out front early and put the pressure on McCarron. They also need to win the turnover battle. I know this goes without saying in general, but I think it's particularly important tomorrow. If the Steelers turn the ball over 2-3 times and fail to match with takeaways, we're going to lose and maybe by a substantial margin. Ben needs to be sharp and I totally agree - Martavis is HUGE in this game. The Bengals are going to roll coverage to AB, they'd be moronic not to. Martavis needs to make that over-the-shoulder catch and needs to be able to get his feet down on the sideline. He needs to be able to pull the 50/50 ball in when the defender gets a hand on it.
I think the bolded is the key. In the past 5 playoff games, the Steelers have turned the ball over 11 times. If they turn the ball over more than once, I don't like their chances. Ben really needs to step up his play.

Evilgrin 72 said:
irish eyes said:
Heath Miller is going to have 15 or more targets alone.

Evilgrin 72 said:
irish eyes said:
Heath Miller is going to have 15 or more targets alone.
I hope so. He should be open a lot - the Bengals seem petrified of Martavis after that monster catch and run he had against them last year. they tend to mark him very closely, so it SHOULD open things up for Heath and Wheaton.

That is, of course, unless they play 90% nickel and dare the Steelers to beat them on the ground. That's what I would do if I were Cincy, and I believe they will. You can't do that if LeVeon Bell or DeAngelo Williams is back there, you're begging for 13 play TD drives that wear your defense out, kill you in the field position and time of possession battles, and leave your offense getting cold on the sideline. With Fitz Toussaint and Jordan Todamn back there? Eh, maybe you take your chances.

THAT right there is what scares the holy hell out of me about this game. If the Bengals adopt this game plan, it's going to be incumbent upon Toussaint or Todman to make them pay dearly for it. Having seen all of about 15 carries between them in a Steelers uniform in my life, I have no way of knowing if they're capable of doing so. I pray they are, but I fear they're not.

I would really prefer Todman, at least he was known for having some speed when he entered the league. Why they didn't bring in someone else after Bell went down, I'll never know.

This reminds me of that foggy playoff game against NE where we had to root all week for a gimpy Bettis to play. Then he played hurt and we got trounced anyway. One thing that is different is the Steelers were always known as a running/defense team and this time we have neither. But we have Ben.

This game is all on him IMO. If he plays like he has the last two weeks we are toast. But if he plays like we know he's capable of it might be a bloodbath the other way. I feel like he steps up but I'm nervous as hell.
If he plays like he has his past few times in the playoffs, we are toast. It's been a while since he's stepped up in the playoffs. McCarron scares me more than Dalton. That dude is brimming with confidence. I'm not having a very good feeling about this game anymore. We really needed Deangelo to keep the Bengals D honest.

I think both teams play the first half close to the vest. The Bengals because of AJ McCarron and the Steelers because we should be scared of being one-dimensional and I don't have much faith in pass protection of our backup RBs. I feel like the Bengals will have a modest lead in the 4th quarter when we have no choice but to take some chances with Ben. He makes good on them and the Black and Gold go home with a 20-19 win on the road.

The pressure is firmly on Ben in this game. The difference may come down to how well our offensive line plays. They have to run the ball at some point and the O line needs to give Ben enough time to make his reads. If they keep Ben upright, I still like their chances. I think Todman may surprise with his usage as a safety valve for Ben. No way they let Ben play pitch and catch with Heath, again.

Less than enthused.

At least Todman can fly, iirc. Maybe he can pop one. Not holding my breath.

Ben will need to win this one.
I don't think Ben can win this one on his own. He will just end up forcing way too many plays and making critical mistakes. I've been re-watching a lot of his recent playoff games and it hasn't been pretty. If this trio of RBs can't keep the Bengals D honest, the Steelers are doomed. The defense also needs to cause 1 or 2 turnovers.

Usually pessimistic but I'm full of confidence tonight .

Steelers toughest game to the super bowl is tonight
Disagree that this would be the toughest game to the SuperBowl. I'm not at all confident but I would be even less confident going up against Denver, KC or NE. Now if Deangelo returns healthy, I think we can get through anyone in the AFC. I hate to keep saying this but Ben is my biggest concern tonight.

Wow, never seen lack of character actually cost a sports team at the critical juncture like that before. A cheap headshot on a guy that didn't even catch the ball, then losing control against the refs. Wow, just wow.

Users who are viewing this thread