What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The middle-aged dummies are forming a band called "Blanket"! It's a cover band. (4 Viewers)

without coming off sounding like Greta Van Fleet.

:lmao: Nice touch!

eta* That's not a knock on Greta Van Fleet. It's the thought of an originator being thought of by the current culture as imitating an imitator of himself, I guess, that cracked me up.

Weekly weekend catchup (unless you prefer ketchup or catsup):

Living After Midnight - The Donnas
Jealous Guy - Roxy Music
Hush - Deep Purple
Girl You'll Be A Woman Soon - Urge Overkill
Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin
America - Yes
Can't Get No Satisfaction - Devo
Always Something There - Naked Eyes
Pretty Woman - Van Halen
Always On My Mind - Pet Shop Boys
Don't Leave Me This Way - Thelma Houston
You Really Got Me - Van Halen
Take Me To The River - Talking Heads
Hey Hey Helen - Lush
The Metro - System Of A Down
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
Whiskey In The Jar - Metallica
Summertime Blues - Blue Cheer 🎸

Still putting together the posts. Hopefully up by 10:30 PDT. Have to say my heart's not much in it at the moment. I understand better why Dr. O up and quit this board. Not saying I'm going to, but I understand.

Let's make that 11 a.m. PDT.

And I just saw there's a really surprising cover, one we haven't seen before, with a Deja Vote.

And a Deja Vote in back-to-back selections. That should make the playlist fun. :lol:

without coming off sounding like Greta Van Fleet.

:lmao: Nice touch!

eta* That's not a knock on Greta Van Fleet. It's the thought of an originator being thought of by the current culture as imitating an imitator of himself, I guess, that cracked me up.

I guess I could have said it without the snark but I respect how Plant has been able to continually thread the needle by not leaning on his past LZ glories or chasing trends like a cool grandpa. Even the Plant & Page side-project which was as Zeppeliny as anything in his past 45 years, Plant got Steve Albini to record the studio sessions live.

Twenty-Four-Point Selections:
PART ONE:

Uruk-Hai:

Devil with a Blue Dress On - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels (Shorty Long)
Song: first vote
Cover artist: first vote
Original artist: first vote

titusbramble:

Bennie and the Jets - Beastie Boys (Elton John)
Song: two votes – Beastie Boys (1); Hickoids (1)
Original artist: five votes – Bennie and The Jets (2); Rocket Man (1); Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (1); Border Song (1)

Pip’s Invitation:

Mad World - Michael Andrews ft. Gary Jules (Tears for Fears)
Song: three votes – Gary Jules (3)
Cover artist: three votes – Mad World (3)
Original artist: three votes – Mad World (3)

Dr. Octopus:

When I Paint My Masterpiece - Emmylou Harris (Robert Zimmerman)
Cover artist: three votes – When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); Pancho and Lefty (1); Mozambique (1)
Original artist: 44 votes – All Along the Watchtower (6); Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (4); Make You Feel My Love (2); When I Paint My Masterpiece (1); I Shall Be Released (1); Tryin’ to Get to Heaven (1); You Got to Serve Somebody (1); Heart of Mine (1); Blowin’ in the Wind (1); Buckets of Rain (1); Girl from the North Country (1); You’re a Big Girl Now (1); A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall (1); This Wheel’s on Fire (1); Mr. Tambourine Man (1); If Not for You (1); Simple Twist of Fate (1); Subterranean Homesick Blues (1); It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (1); Standing in the Doorway (1); Positively Fourth Street (1); Thunder on the Mountain (1); Most of the Time (1); Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again (1); Jokerman (1); Ring Them Bells (1); Hurricane (1); The Man in Me (1); Forever Young (1); Sweetheart Like You (1); Everything Is Broken (1); Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (1); Ballad of a Thin Man (1); If You See Her, Say Hello (1); Mozambique (1)

simey:

Basin Street Blues – Dr. John (Louis Armstrong)
Original artist: three votes – Basin Street Blues (1); What a Wonderful World (1); St. James Infirmary (1)

Just Win Baby:

I Shot the Sheriff - Eric Clapton (Bob Marley and the Wailers)
Song: three votes – Eric Clapton (3)
Cover artist: seven votes – I Shot the Sheriff (3); Cocaine (2); Nobody Knows You When You’re Down and Out (1); Border Song (1)
Original artist: six votes – I Shot the Sheriff (3); Redemption Song (1); Exodus (1); No Woman No Cry (1)

Galileo:

Hurt – Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails)
Song: three votes – Johnny Cash (3)
Cover artist: seven votes – Hurt (3); In My Life (1); Girl from the North Country (1); I See a Darkness (1); Rowboat (1)
Original artist: three votes – Hurt (3)

Don Quixote:

掙脫 (“Dreams”) - Faye Wong (Cranberries)
Song: first and second votes today – Faye Wong (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Dreams (2)
Original artist: two votes – Dreams (2)

simsarge:

Heart of Glass - Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox (Blondie)
Cover artist: two votes – Heart of Glass (1); Chandelier (1)
Original artist: two votes – Heart of Glass (1); Call Me (1)

Charlie Steiner:

Proud Mary - Ike and Tina Turner (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Song: five votes – Ike & Tina Turner (5)
Cover artist: six votes – Proud Mary (5); Whole Lotta Love (1)
Original artist: six votes – Proud Mary (5); Rising Moon Reel (1)

JMLs secret identity:

Thank You for the Music - Lea Salonga (Abba) NOT ON PLAYLIST
Original artist: 23 votes – Thank You for the Music (1); Hey Hey Helen (1); I Have a Dream (1); The Winner Takes It All (1); The Day Before You Came (1); Hasta Manana (1); Thank Abba for the Music Medley (1); Summer Night City (1); Eagle (1); Bang en Boomerang (1); Dancing Queen (1); Super Trouper (1); Knowing Me, Knowing You (1); Mamma Mia (1); The Name of the Game (1); Ring Ring (1); Rock Me (1); Does Your Mother Know (1); Angel Eyes (1); Our Last Summer (1); When All Is Said and Done (1); Waterloo (1); Voulez Vous (1)

zamboni:

My Favorite Things - John Coltrane (Mary Martin, Patricia Neway)
Song: two votes – John Coltrane (2)
Cover artist: two votes – My Favorite Thing (2)
Original artist: two votes – My Favorite Things (2)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Dreams - Faye Wong (The Cranberries)
Song: first and second votes today – Faye Wong (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Dreams (2)
Original artist: two votes – Dreams (2)

Ilov80s:

Hotel California - Gipsy Kings (The Eagles)

Eephus:

Crosseyed and Painless - Angelique Kidjo (Talking Heads)
Song: two votes – Angelique Kidjo (1); Phish (1)
Cover artist: two votes – Crosseyed and Painless (1); Voodoo Chile (1)
Original artist: five votes – Crosseyed and Painless (2); Cities (1); Slippery People (1); Burning Down the House (1)

The Dreaded Marco:

Don't Leave Me This Way - The Communards (Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes)
Song: two votes – Communards (2); Thelma Houston (1)
Cover artist: two votes – Don’t Leave Me This Way (2)
Original artist: three votes – Don’t Leave Me This Way (3)

New Binky the Doormat:

Suspicious Minds - Fine Young Cannibals (Mark James)
Song: three votes – Fine Young Cannibals (2); Elvis Presley (1)
Cover artist: two votes – Suspicious Minds (2)
Original artist: three votes – Suspicious Minds (3)

Andy Dufresne:

Highway Star – Chickenfoot (Deep Purple)

Last edited:
Twenty-Four-Point Selections:
PART TWO:

Hawks64:

Cortez the Killer - Dave Matthews Band (Neil Young)
Song: five votes – Built to Spill (3); Dave Matthews Band (1); Slint (1)
Cover artist: 16 votes – All Along the Watchtower (2); Cortez the Killer (1); The Maker (1); Long Black Veil (1); Exodus (1); Down by the River (1); Take Me to Tomorrow (1); Time of the Season (1); Still Water (1); Melissa (1); Super Freak (1); Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (1); Burning Down the House (1); Kashmir (1); In My Life (1)
Original artist: 13 votes – Cortez the Killer (5); Down by the River (2); Heart of Gold (2); Southern Man (1); Birds (1); Into the Black (1); Rockin’ in the Free World (1)

rockaction:

Ça Plane Pour Moi – Sonic Youth (Plastic Bertrand)
Cover artist: three votes – Superstar (2); Ca Plane Pour Moi (1)

Scoresman:

Bette Davis Eyes - Kim Carnes (Jackie DeShannon)
Song: two votes – Kim Carnes (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Bette David Eyes (2)
Original artist: four votes – Bette Davis Eyes (2); Needles and Pins (2)

Raging weasel:

Sweet Dreams – Marilyn Manson (Eurythmics)
Song: three votes – Marilyn Manson (2); Umphrey’s McGee (1)
Cover artist: three votes – Sweet Dreams (2); Personal Jesus (1)
Original artist: three votes – Sweet Dreams (3)

scorchy:

No Depression - Uncle Tupelo (The Carter Family)
Cover artist: two votes – No Depression (1); Give Back the Key to My Heart (1)

Mrs. Rannous:

Fast Car - Luke Combs (Tracy Chapman)

Mt. Man:

You've Got a Friend - James Taylor (Carole King)
Song: two votes – James Taylor (2)
Cover artist: two votes – You’ve Got a Friend (2)
Original artist: two votes – You’ve Got a Friend (2)

Mister CIA:

Ring of Fire - Sleepy LaBeef (Anita Carter)
Song: two votes – Sleepy LaBeef (1); Social Distortion (1)
Original artist: two votes – Ring of Fire (2)

Val Rannous:

Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles (Simon and Garfunkel)
Song: third and fourth votes today – The Bangles (4)
Cover artist: four votes – Hazy Shade of Winter (4)
Original artist: 12 votes – Hazy Shade of Winter (4); The Sound of Silence (3); Mrs. Robinson (3); America (2)

landrys hat:

Hazy Shade of Winter - The Bangles (Simon & Garfunkel)
Song: third and fourth votes today – The Bangles (4)
Cover artist: four votes – Hazy Shade of Winter (4)
Original artist: 12 votes – Hazy Shade of Winter (4); The Sound of Silence (3); Mrs. Robinson (3); America (2)

shuke:

Cities - Phish (Talking Heads)
Cover artist: nine votes – Cities (1); Boogie on Reggae Woman (1); Funky Bitch (1); Loving Cup (1); Crosseyed and Painless (1); I Am the Walrus (1); Sneakin’ Sally through the Alley (1); My Soul (1); Frankenstein (1)
Original artist: five votes – Crosseyed and Painless (2); Cities (1); Slippery People (1); Burning Down the House (1)

Doug B:

One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - George Thorogood and the Destroyers (John Lee Hooker, Amos Milburn)
Original artist: first vote each

DrIanMalcolm:

Voodoo Chile - Angelique Kidjo (Jimi Hendrix Experience)
Song: three votes – Stevie Ray Vaughan (2); Angelique Kidjo (1)
Cover artist: two votes – Crosseyed and Painless (1); Voodoo Chile (1)
Original artist: seven votes – Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (3); Little Wing (2); The Wind Cries Mary (1); Purple Haze (1)

Chaos34:

Now That We Found Love - Third World (O’Jays)
Song: two votes – Third World (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Now That We Found Love (2)
Original artist: two votes – Now That We Found Love (2)

higgins:

A Whiter Shade of Pale - Annie Lennox (Procol Harum)
Song: two votes – Annie Lennox (1); Hagar Schon Aaronson Shrieve (1)
Original artist: two votes – A Whiter Shade of Pale (2)

Oliver Humanzee:

Ooh La La - Silkworm (Faces)
Original artist: two votes – Ooh La La (1); Cindy Incidentally (1)

krista4:

Where Did You Sleep Last Night (In the Pines) – Nirvana (traditional)
Song: two votes – Nirvana (2)
Cover artist: two votes – Where Did You Sleep Last Night (2); Love Buzz (1)
Original artist: N/A

It's Angelique Kidjo day!! It was interesting to me that the only two covers we will have from her showed up on the same day. Also, her cover of "Crosseyed and Painless" is the second vote for that original. The first vote it got was a cover by Phish, and they show up again today with a cover of a different Talking Heads song. I guess we needed a Talking Heads cover of a Angelique Kidjo song today to come full circle. Or something.

In addition, our only two votes for the Faye Wong cover of "Dreams" have come on the same day.

Uruk-Hai:

Devil with a Blue Dress On - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels (Shorty Long)
Another I forgot I had picked, presumably because I was too sober when I compiled my list :lol:

The Wheels could have come from nowhere else but Michigan. Their combination of Motown and shot-and-a-beer-corner-tavern-in-a-factory-town vibe was some of the most exciting music of the mid-1960s. This is bar band music raised to the nth degree. Ryder was a great screamer and the drummer - Johnny B (get it?) - was apparently living on a diet consisting solely of speed. They specialized in mashups of old R&B songs. Though the title in the link doesn't mention it, this one morphs into "Good Golly Miss Molly" and then back again.

Shorty Long wrote some of the filthiest songs of all time. Mitch Ryder kind of blows through the lyrics in this version, so you have to listen carefully to what Shorty was saying to get the full debauchery. Of course, Mitch and the boys decided to up the ante and add part of a Little Richard record about half-way through so there's no doubt.

Covers from #8 that I know and like and have not previously discussed in this thread:

Devil with a Blue Dress On - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels (Shorty Long) -- I didn't know this was a cover*. Regardless, I'm sure this version is the one Springsteen based his cover off of.
Hotel California - Gipsy Kings (The Eagles) -- A fun reinvention.
No Depression - Uncle Tupelo (The Carter Family) -- Pretty much sums up the ethos of the whole alt-country movement.
Fast Car - Luke Combs (Tracy Chapman) -- It was nice to see Chapman back in the spotlight when this hit.
Cities - Phish (Talking Heads) -- Very different from the original, but equally grooving. If David Byrne took downers to "take the edge off," maybe the Heads' version would have sounded more like this. :laugh:
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - George Thorogood and the Destroyers (John Lee Hooker, Amos Milburn) -- This was Thorogood's radio breakthrough, at least in Philly. The second song I ever heard from him was a cover of a song that has already appeared on this countdown in a different version.
Voodoo Chile - Angelique Kidjo (Jimi Hendrix Experience) -- Only known because DrIan took this in the worldwide countdown.

* -- I did know the "Good Golly Miss Molly" part was a cover, obviously.

Pip’s Invitation:

Mad World - Michael Andrews ft. Gary Jules (Tears for Fears)

I don't have many slow songs on my list, nor quiet songs, nor many entries whose original comes from the '80s. But this cover has given me chills since the first time I heard it, which was the first time I saw Donnie Darko. While most of the recording is just piano and vocal, it has a very "cinematic" sweep to it and perfectly complements the "existential dread" vibe of the movie, and the tragedy of its storyline. I prefer it by far to the Tears for Fears original, whose relatively upbeat music seems like a mismatch for the lyrics.

At #7, a powerhouse guitar performance from someone whose guitar playing is nothing like that of the artist who wrote the original.

Devil with a Blue Dress On - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels (Shorty Long) -- I didn't know this was a cover*. Regardless, I'm sure this version is the one Springsteen based his cover off of.
Long's original is (much) slower and (much) slinkier. The Wheels turned it inside out and made it a bar band staple.

If you remember the TV show Laugh In, they used to do a mini-skit called "Here Comes The Judge" - that was taken from a Shorty song (that had absolutely nothing to do with legal proceedings). He also wrote a song called "Function At The Junction" that I'll let you guys figure out :lol:

24 Points - Thank you for the Music - Lea Salonga (Abba)
Original

Originally just an album track, it was included as the B Side to the “Abba The Album” 3rd single “Eagle”. It was only released as an A Side in South Africa where it went to number two. But the song had legs. It was used in Abba the movie, as an encore in concerts and rereleased as a single to celebrate a greatest hits in the UK. It was seen as the perfect swan song for the bands career. Consistently used as tributes to the bands music it became a key part of the Abba revival movement. On the mass selling Abba Gold, it was heavily featured in the Mamma Mia musical and movies.

Cover

Lea Salonga was a child prodigy in her native Phillipines. Releasing an album when she was 9 years old, this song was first included there. The album also included covers of Rainbow Connection, Sing and When You Wish Upon a Star. She moved into TV and acting work, but always intended a medical career. Musical theatre stepped in. She won a lead role in Miss Saigon and then crucially as Eponine in Les Miserables in London. All before she was 20. Nominated as one of People magazines, the 50 most beautiful people in 1991. Still strikingly attractive in her 50s, her musical theatre career boomed. She eventually went from playing Eponine to Fantine, a hard transition. TV, movie and recording work continued. Shes performed for royalty, presidents and regular folk. This cover was recorded as an adult throwing back to her childhood career. The control she has over her voice on this cover is breathtaking

Abba - 17 - Cover 7. This is the hardest one to rate for me. The original has found a much bigger life post its release than during its release. But theres something missing in it. Salongas version isnt perfect but i will rate it slightly better here

Next up a well recognised name making a sad song even sadder. The structure of this song is phenomenal and a reason the songwriting team of Andersson/Ulvaeus is one if the greatest of all time

Covers from #8 that I know and like and have not previously discussed in this thread:

No Depression - Uncle Tupelo (The Carter Family) -- Pretty much sums up the ethos of the whole alt-country movement.
Fast Car - Luke Combs (Tracy Chapman) -- It was nice to see Chapman back in the spotlight when this hit.
Cities - Phish (Talking Heads) -- Very different from the original, but equally grooving. If David Byrne took downers to "take the edge off," maybe the Heads' version would have sounded more like this. :laugh:
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - George Thorogood and the Destroyers (John Lee Hooker, Amos Milburn) -- This was Thorogood's radio breakthrough, at least in Philly. The second song I ever heard from him was a cover of a song that has already appeared on this countdown in a different version.
Voodoo Chile - Angelique Kidjo (Jimi Hendrix Experience) -- Only known because DrIan took this in the worldwide countdown.

掙脫 (“Dreams”) - Faye Wong (Cranberries) x2 -- I realize I have heard this before. JML took it in the worldwide countdown.

24 Points - Dreams - Faye Wong (The Cranberries)
Original

Deservedly so this song was released multiple times. At first in 1992 by the unknown at the time Irish group The Cranberries. This song opened doors, but not the charts. The band released Linger to a much bigger audience and rereleased Dreams in 1994 to a little more success. This time it reached #42 on the US charts, but not much better elsewhere. Euro DJ Dario G used it for “Dream to Me” and it was a massive Euro success in 1999. Dreams however has just carried on through the decades on a life of its own and is now seen as their best effort. One of the three videos for it has 1/4 billion views on youtube, so I know there are people out there who rate this sng as high as i do. It is in my top 3 songs of all time. I cannot listen to it just once. I think my record is 14 times straight.

Cover

Asian beautiful lady day by the looks of it. As big as Lea Salonga is in the Phillipines, that is a fly speck compared to what Faye Wong is to the Han chinese communities of China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia etc. Wong has tried acting, most notably in the wonderful Wong Kar Wai masterpiece Chungking Express where she is the focal point among a stellar cast. Her charm, beauty and eccentricity make that movie great. But Wong is more known as a singer and is a genuine megastar in China. In the 90s and 00s. She was the IT girl before receding into a more private family life. She had a particular affectation for alternative UK female led music from the UK, especially the Cocteau Twins. This cover isnt as good as the original, but its fun and a pure delight.

Originals 9 - Covers 15. Original wins this round. I love Faye Wong and this version, but its an inferior being to the original.

Next up we start a run to the top. Out of the last 7 songs, six have already been chosen. Some surprisingly very few times. The one at 7 has been chosen a few times already.

掙脫 (“Dreams”) - Faye Wong (Cranberries) x2 -- I realize I have heard this before. JML took it in the worldwide countdown.
Yes. I took it very high indeed and put it at #4 from memory.
Im just astounded that @Don Quixote a) ranked it and b) in the exact same spot

9. Man of Constant Sorrow - The Soggy Bottom Boys (Bob Dylan Traditional)

First, it gives me great pleasure to set the record straight in the song's origin; the song actually existed as early as the 1910's as 'Farewell Song' and passed through many hands before Zimmerman got his hands on it.

Second, I placed this here because I'm a sucker for Coen Brothers movies, and this was the perfect song for this particular movie.

Third, As for the credited Soggy Bottom Boys, singer Dan Tyminski and his accompaniment, Pat Enright and Harley Allen, were excellent choices to provide the vocals.

Finally, I was going to rant about how this is not a very good example of bluegrass, but it's not considered bluegrass and rather country instead, so I can live with that.
Back on the 18 pt list, I cited the Emry Arthur version as the first formally released recording of this song. It was put out on a 78 rpm record in 1928.

#10 Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band (Bruce Springsteen)
Original: Spotify ; Youtube

Probably not a huge shock that this is MMEB's only appearance. The song is well known, and that it's a cover is true, though it's hard to say how much I heard the Springsteen version before this exercise. Not a lot, for sure. To not accidentally throw Thumper Rule shade Bruce's way, suffice it to say that this is one where I'd have to favor the cover. It's definitely it's own thing, the lyrics skipping a few verses and of course changing "cut loose like a deuce" to "revved up like a deuce" (and not "wrapped up like..." something else). MMEB's version is fully two minutes longer, yet it manages to almost feel more condensed. The guitar and piano solos notwithstanding.

--
#9 You Really Got Me - Van Halen (The Kinks)
Original: Spotify ; Youtube

This song is, objectively, the #9 best cover. If you don't believe me after hearing it (up to) four times on this playlist, you never will. Seriously though, I was curious to see it untaken, if not totally surprised given the cover possibilities from Van Halen. Though certainly surprised to be part of a Quadrophenom Dummy's Grand Slam Breakfast. Unlike the previous song, it's hard to pick a favorite between the two versions.

After all, this is the song Galileo put #1on the M-AD list for The Kinks and was #3 on the British Isles countdown of songs by The Kinks. So saying that Ray Davies wrote a punchy, catchy song that the band performed extremely well might be an understatement. On the other side, there's Van Halen, with the brothers' excellent musicianship and David Lee Roth doing his usual best to squeeze emotion into every word as he often did (/does).

At #8, a song that appeared only once so far, but I have to expect many more showing. Still, for at least one other M-AD, they'll achieve a companion.
Van Halen absolutely kills it on this one, but I still like the original better.

8. Proud Mary - Ike & Tina Turner (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

I used to think that CCR ripped off Ike and Tina. Fogerty may have written it, but Tina performed it like she had lived it.

You guys might want to watch Iowa vs. Holy Cross, not for Caitlin but for the hottie Holy Cross coach.
Looked her up instead. She's half of the first father-daughter combination to coach against each other in NCAA basketball competition. Also has nice cheekbones.

9. Man of Constant Sorrow - The Soggy Bottom Boys (Bob Dylan Traditional)

First, it gives me great pleasure to set the record straight in the song's origin; the song actually existed as early as the 1910's as 'Farewell Song' and passed through many hands before Zimmerman got his hands on it.

Second, I placed this here because I'm a sucker for Coen Brothers movies, and this was the perfect song for this particular movie.

Third, As for the credited Soggy Bottom Boys, singer Dan Tyminski and his accompaniment, Pat Enright and Harley Allen, were excellent choices to provide the vocals.

Finally, I was going to rant about how this is not a very good example of bluegrass, but it's not considered bluegrass and rather country instead, so I can live with that.
Back on the 18 pt list, I cited the Emry Arthur version as the first formally released recording of this song. It was put out on a 78 rpm record in 1928.
Sorry I overlooked that. Credit where it's due.

Also in Chungking Express ...which you may really like or have no clue what I am talking about lol

You guys might want to watch Iowa vs. Holy Cross, not for Caitlin but for the hottie Holy Cross coach.
What channel? It's halftime for the NCSU girls on ESPNU.
Nevermind, I forgot about our majority audience here.

Yeah, sorry. I might be forgetting someone but don't believe I've ever seen a good-looking male basketball coach.
Great point. I mean there has to one. The pool of options is just so large but I am also struggling. Which is weird because I feel like the recent trends in football are to hire young sexy coaches who look good in sunglasses.

Also in Chungking Express ...which you may really like or have no clue what I am talking about lol
Never seen it.

Never seen it.
Faye is one of the stars. Great movie. It's about the Mamas and the Papas, canned pineapple, May 1st, pixie dream girls and drug smuggling.

Never seen it.
Faye is one of the stars. Great movie. It's about the Mamas and the Papas, canned pineapple, May 1st, pixie dream girls and drug smuggling.
Did this come out in the '90s, not long after Pulp Fiction? Sounds like the kind of plot/features of the flood of PF-inspired movies that followed in its wake.

Never seen it.
Did this come out in the '90s, not long after Pulp Fiction? Sounds like the kind of plot/features of the flood of PF-inspired movies that followed in its wake.
It absolutely came out in the 90s and Tarantino actually was a big fan and urged American audiences to watch it. He is a big champion of it. It came out before Pulp Fiction in 94 though so it's not at all a ripoff. Just a foreign director kind of doing something sort of similar at the same moment. This movie has a level of cute and romantic that QT never does.

Never seen it.
It absolutely came out in the 90s and Tarantino actually was a big fan and urged American audiences to watch it. He is a big champion of it. It came out before Pulp Fiction in 94 though so it's not at all a ripoff. Just a foreign director kind of doing something sort of similar at the same moment. This movie has a level of cute and romantic that QT never does.
Got it.

I always found it funny that QT wrote a movie called True Romance when he's one of the least romantic creators in cinema history.

Never seen it.
Got it.

I always found it funny that QT wrote a movie called True Romance when he's one of the least romantic creators in cinema history.
That is an excellent point. I would agree that True Romance is not a very good demonstration of a true romance.

Users who are viewing this thread