What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Top 250 Best Selling Rock Albums (1967 - 1981) (1 Viewer)

Bay City Rollers
I wish. I was into them something fierce back in the day. As posted above, it's someone on the list already. Just surprised this album sold so much. There will be other WTF??? albums coming up, so maybe I am overselling this one as being out of place.
I think I had their first 8 albums. I can't tell you why . . . it just sort of happened. Shang-A-Lang, Bye Bye Baby, Saturday Night, Give A Little Love, I Only Wanna Be With You, Money Honey, You Made Me Believe In Magic. Loved, loved, loved them. I think the 30 years of therapy since then probably helped a lot. Also loved the band Sweet.
Funny you should mention both Bay City Rollers and the Sweet. Ive taken both in the MAD covers countdown.
Sweet with Peppermint Twist and Bay City Rollers with Bye Bye Baby.

Anyway, the point i want to make is that they both still tour with a hodgepodge of multiple lineups with original members of 1 or less using the name. I think there were 3 different bands calling themselves The Sweet at any one time and a couple calling themselves the Bay City Rollers
3 of the original 4 Sweet members are dead. 😥

Heart of Stone?
Maybe you can proofread all the other listings for me. There’s gotta be way more mistakes than just that one.
Not being a @Pip's Invitation aficionado, I was thinking there was some other Neil Young song I had somehow missed that was like a counter point to heart of gold, so my question wasn't totally facetious.

#34T - JEFF WAYNE - Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (1978) (15 million albums)
Notable songs: Forever Autumn (#47), The Eve Of War

Never heard of this one. It only hit #94 on the album sales chart in the U.S. and sold 200,00 copies (but sold 2.7 million in the UK). Wayne only released 4 albums, and 3 of them are music from War of the Worlds. He wrote over 3,000 advertising jingles in the 70s in the U.K. and decided to record his version of War of the Worlds. He got Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues to sing, with additional appearances by David Essex, Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy), Chris Thompson (Manfred Mann), Herbie Flowers (T-Rex), Ray Cooper (Elton John), and many other British musicians. Actor Richard Burton narrated the story. Listening to it 45 years later, it's actually kind of interesting. Raise your hand if you know anything about it.

#34T- DIRE STRAITS - Dire Straits (1978) (15 million albums)
Notable songs: Sultans Of Swing (#4), Water Of Love, Down To The Waterline, Setting Me Up, Southbound Again, Wild West End

Not my favorite Straits album, but Sultans of Swing was popular just about everywhere (Top 10 in at least 10 countries). I agree with people that suggest their sound / pace is too slow or that they don't have enough energy in many of their songs. But I love their up tempo songs, and Knoplfer knows how to play. Sold 3.2M in the U.S. and 5M in Europe. Last of the Straits.

#33- AC/DC - Highway To Hell (1970) (15.15 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#47), Touch Too Much (#106), Girls Got Rhythm, Night Prowler, Shot Down In Flames, Walk All Over You, If You Want Blood

I love the title track and listen to it all the time. The rest of the album is solid and has some other rockers (but I don't do deep dives into AC/DC very often). Tim had it at #57.

#32 - BILLY JOEL - The Stranger (1977) (15.3 million albums)
Notable songs: Just The Way You Are (#3), Movin' Out (#17), She's Always A Woman (#17), Only The Good Die Young (#24), Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, Title Track, Vienna

I admit, I got this when it first came out (actually, a sibling got it for me). IMO, Billy's best effort from start to finish. I always enjoyed the reggae version of Only The Good Die Young (although Joel pretty much hates it). @Uruk-Hai should feel happier now that we are officially done with Billy. Tim had it at #45.

#31 - NEIL YOUNG - Harvest (1972) (15.32 million albums)
Notable songs: Heart Of Gold (#1), Old Man (#31), The Needle And The Damage Done, Out On The Weekend, Title Track, Are You Ready For The Country?

Heart Of Stone was Neil's top selling single by a large margin. Tim had it at #55. I will defer to the many Neil fans for their praise and adulation for this album, as I don't own it, nor do I think I have ever listened to the entire album before.

Next set, we say goodbye to an American hard rock staple, we see two more from Zeppelin, and there are two newbies to the countdown.
I've never heard of Jeff Wayne. And I can't imagine what commercial radio stations in 1978 would have played it enough for a single to chart, or for the album to move 200k copies.

The Dire Straits record is really good.

Highway To Hell and another AC/DC that's coming up represent a high water mark in hard rock record-making.

Harvest is a fine album. Neil famously ran it down (though I assume he cashed the checks from it), but there's a reason it's sold 15 million copies - it has good songs.
Heart of Stone is a typo. Believe me, if there were a Neil song by that name, I would know. :laugh:

Harvest is a pleasant album but not one that ranks with his very best for me. It’s pretty inconsistent and the two orchestral tracks don’t work. But most of the songs are strong and they are presented in a way that is much more accessible than most of the rest of his work.

I had four of its songs in the top 50 of my Neil countdown: Old Man 12, Words 30, The Needle and the Damage Done 36, Heart of Gold 50.

Heart of Gold is one of Neil’s few songs that is easy to cover without sounding like an imitation of Neil. I have picked two covers of it so far in the covers countdown.

Neil doesn’t hate Harvest. He still performs many of its songs live and its “big three” are among those with the most documented live performances. He just didn’t want to repeat it. He famously said that it “put him in the middle of the road” but he preferred “the ditch” because it was more interesting.

Parsons should get 99% of the royalties from Dark Side. He stitched together a bunch of wet tissue into something amazing.

The only song I like of his on his own is "I Wouldn't Want To Be Like You". Stuff like "Eye In The Sky" makes me want to amputate both my ears AND my eyes.

#34T - JEFF WAYNE - Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds (1978) (15 million albums)

Never heard of this one. It only hit #94 on the album sales chart in the U.S. and sold 200,00 copies (but sold 2.7 million in the UK). Wayne only released 4 albums, and 3 of them are music from War of the Worlds. He wrote over 3,000 advertising jingles in the 70s in the U.K. and decided to record his version of War of the Worlds. He got Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues to sing, with additional appearances by David Essex, Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy), Chris Thompson (Manfred Mann), Herbie Flowers (T-Rex), Ray Cooper (Elton John), and many other British musicians. Actor Richard Burton narrated the story. Listening to it 45 years later, it's actually kind of interesting. Raise your hand if you know anything about it

Never heard of this one. It only hit #94 on the album sales chart in the U.S. and sold 200,00 copies (but sold 2.7 million in the UK). Wayne only released 4 albums, and 3 of them are music from War of the Worlds. He wrote over 3,000 advertising jingles in the 70s in the U.K. and decided to record his version of War of the Worlds. He got Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues to sing, with additional appearances by David Essex, Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy), Chris Thompson (Manfred Mann), Herbie Flowers (T-Rex), Ray Cooper (Elton John), and many other British musicians. Actor Richard Burton narrated the story. Listening to it 45 years later, it's actually kind of interesting. Raise your hand if you know anything about it.

#34T- DIRE STRAITS - Dire Straits (1978) (15 million albums)
Notable songs: Sultans Of Swing (#4), Water Of Love, Down To The Waterline, Setting Me Up, Southbound Again, Wild West End

Not my favorite Straits album, but Sultans of Swing was popular just about everywhere (Top 10 in at least 10 countries). I agree with people that suggest their sound / pace is too slow or that they don't have enough energy in many of their songs. But I love their up tempo songs, and Knoplfer knows how to play. Sold 3.2M in the U.S. and 5M in Europe. Last of the Straits.

#33- AC/DC - Highway To Hell (1970) (15.15 million albums)
Notable songs: Title Track (#47), Touch Too Much (#106), Girls Got Rhythm, Night Prowler, Shot Down In Flames, Walk All Over You, If You Want Blood

I love the title track and listen to it all the time. The rest of the album is solid and has some other rockers (but I don't do deep dives into AC/DC very often). Tim had it at #57.

#32 - BILLY JOEL - The Stranger (1977) (15.3 million albums)
Notable songs: Just The Way You Are (#3), Movin' Out (#17), She's Always A Woman (#17), Only The Good Die Young (#24), Scenes From An Italian Restaurant, Title Track, Vienna

I admit, I got this when it first came out (actually, a sibling got it for me). IMO, Billy's best effort from start to finish. I always enjoyed the reggae version of Only The Good Die Young (although Joel pretty much hates it). @Uruk-Hai should feel happier now that we are officially done with Billy. Tim had it at #45.

#31 - NEIL YOUNG - Harvest (1972) (15.32 million albums)
Notable songs: Heart Of Gold (#1), Old Man (#31), The Needle And The Damage Done, Out On The Weekend, Title Track, Are You Ready For The Country?

Heart Of Stone was Neil's top selling single by a large margin. Tim had it at #55. I will defer to the many Neil fans for their praise and adulation for this album, as I don't own it, nor do I think I have ever listened to the entire album before.

Next set, we say goodbye to an American hard rock staple, we see two more from Zeppelin, and there are two newbies to the countdown.
I've never heard of Jeff Wayne. And I can't imagine what commercial radio stations in 1978 would have played it enough for a single to chart, or for the album to move 200k copies.

The Dire Straits record is really good.

Highway To Hell and another AC/DC that's coming up represent a high water mark in hard rock record-making.

Harvest is a fine album. Neil famously ran it down (though I assume he cashed the checks from it), but there's a reason it's sold 15 million copies - it has good songs.

That War of The Worlds one is even more surprising than the earlier Neil Diamond one. I must have missed something in 1978 when I was listening to Kiss, disco and top 40 radio. 15 million sales - where did that come from? I can understand if this was 1938 when that War of the Worlds radio broadcast by Orson Welles came out, but not this time.
Hand raised
I remember once we did an album draft and i took this very high.
I made the mistake of assuming this was as big in the US as the rest of the world.
In Australia and the Uk, as well as several other parts in the rest of the world it was a monster hit that endured in the charts for years. It either was a smashing success or a flop where released.

This is one of the few records i have in at least 3 formats. At the time it was breathtaking and especially for those with a passing interest in sci-fi or the original HG Wells novel.

For those who like to partake in the herbal medicine, this is one of those albums that apparently is enhanced significantly by the reefer. Think Dark Side of the Moon
Listening to this now for the first time wont have the same impact as when it came out. It took Jeff Wayne over 2 decades to get the stage show he wanted for his music before he toured it to great success. He has toured it 7 times since to great success

The lead single is Forever Autumn by Justun Heyward of Moody Blues fame.
The Eve of War is a great piece that is often on those synth greatest sets despite being disco origin.
Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy, David Essex and Julie Covington, all well known to theatre and music audiences in the Uk star as well as Richard Burton and his great oratory.

At over 90 minutes long, I can listen to this in one sitting and then repeat. Its a great story told with great music. If you are just checking for the first time the romance isnt there. Who knows?
Thanks - I need to give this album a listen for sure.

Speaking of the band Sweet, heard the long version of Love Is Like Oxygen playing while visiting my local mall.
One day I was out driving with my kids a few years ago and this came on the radio. Of course, I turned it up. I got grilled by my own flesh and blood, asking me if "old people" actually used to listen to stuff like that back in the day. Their commentary was merciless and relentless. People paid money for it . . . voluntarily? Is that a guy singing? Sure, love is like oxygen, but this song is like _ _ _ _. What is that retarded section in the middle? No straight man would listen to this. Put on some hip-hop!!!!!!

#30 - VAN HALEN - Van Halen (1978) (15.57 million albums)
Notable songs: You Really Got Me (#36), Runnin' With The Devil (#84), Jamie's Cryin', Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, On Fire, Ice Cream Man, Eruption, I'm The One, Atomic Punk, Feel Your Love Tonight

We send Van Halen packing with a masterpiece of an album. VH was huge when I was in high school. You couldn't hang with the cool kids if you didn't like them, and girls would never get dates unless they were into them. Total musical peer pressure. Rolling Stone had it at #292, while Tim had it at #60. I play the physical CD with regularity. I remember seeing their performance at the US Festival in front of 350,000 people. That's cray-cray. This ends a streak of 15 albums from the 70s in a row.

#29 - PHIL COLLINS - Face Value (1981) (15.64 million albums)
Notable songs: In The Air Tonight (#19), I Missed Again (#19), If Leaving Me Is Easy, This Must Be Love, Behind The Lines, Tomorrow Never Knows,

There was a 10+ year stretch when Collins was everywhere. Solo and with Genesis, Phil had 8 albums with 10 million in sales. Adding in his session work as a drummer, he played on 50+ singles that hit the US Top 40. Even for people that don't love his music, he's been one of the most popular and best selling artists of all-time.

#28 - LED ZEPPELIN - Led Zeppelin (1969) (15.8 million albums)
Notable songs: Good Times Bad Times (#80), Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Communication Breakdown, Dazed And Confused, You Shook Me, Your Time Is Gonna Come, How Many More Times, I Can't Quit You

I have heard enough Zeppelin to last 20 lifetimes, and IMO (which will probably be a hot take), they peaked in their first year / first two albums and then fell off to only exceptional. Their output and live performances in 1969 were literally as good as it gets. Young, raw, and on fire. As I said in my LZ thread, I'll take everything they did in 1969, and you guys can fight over the rest. Sure, their first 6 albums are the best run in rock history . . . so they didn't really drop off, but IMO, that first year was the best individual year for any band. The Beatles might be close in 1967ish. Tim had it at #17. Baby Come On Home and Sugar Mama didn't make the final release. Rolling Stone had it at #29, while Tim had it at #17.

#27 - PETER FRAMPTON - Frampton Comes Alive! (1976) (17 million albums)
Notable songs: Show Me The Way (#6), Do You Feel Like I Do (#10), Baby I Love Your Way (#12), Somethin's Happening, I'll Give You Money, Jumping Jack Flash

Another double live release. This album was everywhere when it came out It was the top selling album of 1976. It was released the first week of 1976 . . . and ended 1977 as the #14 best selling album that year. Many people think this is the best-selling live album is all-time, by that honor goes to Eric Clapton's Unplugged album (which outsold this one by 9 million copies).

#26 - LED ZEPPELIN - Houses Of The Holy (1973) (17.7 million albums)
Notable songs: D'yer Mak'er (#20), Over The Hills And Far Away (#51), The Ocean, The Song Remains The Same, The Rain Song, Dancing Days, No Quarter, The Crunge

Another Led Zep album without any misses. How good is an album that the title track, The Rover, and Black Country Woman didn't make it? Walter's Walk was another track that missed the cut. Rolling Stone had it at #278. Tim had it at #24.

Up next, we cross the 18 million mark with another album I never knew existed.

Notable songs: Show Me The Way (#6), Do You Feel Like I Do (#10), Baby I Love Your Way (#12), Somethin's Happening, I'll Give You Money, Jumping Jack Flash

Another double live release. This album was everywhere when it came out It was the top selling album of 1976. It was released the first week of 1976 . . . and ended 1977 as the #14 best selling album that year. Many people think this is the best-selling live album is all-time, by that honor goes to Eric Clapton's Unplugged album (which outsold this one by 9 million copies).
The first three get all the recognition, but Lines On My Face is the hidden gem on this album IMO. Some sweet soloing by Pete.

And of course, Bob Mayo on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.

Notable songs: You Really Got Me (#36), Runnin' With The Devil (#84), Jamie's Cryin', Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, On Fire, Ice Cream Man, Eruption, I'm The One, Atomic Punk, Feel Your Love Tonight

We send Van Halen packing with a masterpiece of an album. VH was huge when I was in high school. You couldn't hang with the cool kids if you didn't like them, and girls would never get dates unless they were into them. Total musical peer pressure. Rolling Stone had it at #292, while Tim had it at #60. I play the physical CD with regularity. I remember seeing their performance at the US Festival in front of 350,000 people. That's cray-cray. This ends a streak of 15 albums from the 70s in a row.

#29 - PHIL COLLINS - Face Value (1981) (15.64 million albums)
Notable songs: In The Air Tonight (#19), I Missed Again (#19), If Leaving Me Is Easy, This Must Be Love, Behind The Lines, Tomorrow Never Knows,

There was a 10+ year stretch when Collins was everywhere. Solo and with Genesis, Phil had 8 albums with 10 million in sales. Adding in his session work as a drummer, he played on 50+ singles that hit the US Top 40. Even for people that don't love his music, he's been one of the most popular and best selling artists of all-time.

#28 - LED ZEPPELIN - Led Zeppelin (1969) (15.8 million albums)
Notable songs: Good Times Bad Times (#80), Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Communication Breakdown, Dazed And Confused, You Shook Me, Your Time Is Gonna Come, How Many More Times, I Can't Quit You

I have heard enough Zeppelin to last 20 lifetimes, and IMO (which will probably be a hot take), they peaked in their first year / first two albums and then fell off to only exceptional. Their output and live performances in 1969 were literally as good as it gets. Young, raw, and on fire. As I said in my LZ thread, I'll take everything they did in 1969, and you guys can fight over the rest. Sure, their first 6 albums are the best run in rock history . . . so they didn't really drop off, but IMO, that first year was the best individual year for any band. The Beatles might be close in 1967ish. Tim had it at #17. Baby Come On Home and Sugar Mama didn't make the final release. Rolling Stone had it at #29, while Tim had it at #17.

#26 - LED ZEPPELIN - Houses Of The Holy (1973) (17.7 million albums)
Notable songs: D'yer Mak'er (#20), Over The Hills And Far Away (#51), The Ocean, The Song Remains The Same, The Rain Song, Dancing Days, No Quarter, The Crunge

Another Led Zep album without any misses. How good is an album that the title track, The Rover, and Black Country Woman didn't make it? Walter's Walk was another track that missed the cut. Rolling Stone had it at #278. Tim had it at #24.

Up next, we cross the 18 million mark with another album I never knew existed.
The VH LP was a game-changer for hard rock. What gets me these days is how slowwww the songs are - "...Devil" makes Bad Company (!!) sound like a speed-metal group.

Phil Collins deserves every dollar he ever made (except for his awful cover of "You Can't Hurry Love" - that one should have him in front of a firing squad).

If you were a white kid into music in the mid-70s, you had to own the Frampton LP. It was like a law or something. I don't think I can explain why this album became the phenom it did. None of these songs were big hits in their original versions. I think it's pretty flaccid overall - our hero doesn't have much soul - but this thing was everywhere.

On the two Zep albums...... HOTH reeks of burnout to me. It's still better than almost everything else released that year, but they sound/feel tired. The debut is awesome. LZ melts faces to this day and will continue to do so until humans finally figure out how to wreck our species.

I'll take some umbrage with Yudkin's take on Zep's album run and submit Stevie Wonder's from 1970-1985. Nobody's ever gonna top that.

If you were a white kid into music in the mid-70s, you had to own the Frampton LP. It was like a law or something. I don't think I can explain why this album became the phenom it did. None of these songs were big hits in their original versions. I think it's pretty flaccid overall - our hero doesn't have much soul - but this thing was everywhere.
Comes Alive did seem to come out of nowhere. After Frampton left Humble Pie in 1971, he had a basically middling solo career for the next several years before the alive album just exploded.

Hard to explain - maybe people confused him with Leif Garrett. :shrug:

Bay City Rollers
I wish. I was into them something fierce back in the day. As posted above, it's someone on the list already. Just surprised this album sold so much. There will be other WTF??? albums coming up, so maybe I am overselling this one as being out of place.
I think I had their first 8 albums. I can't tell you why . . . it just sort of happened. Shang-A-Lang, Bye Bye Baby, Saturday Night, Give A Little Love, I Only Wanna Be With You, Money Honey, You Made Me Believe In Magic. Loved, loved, loved them. I think the 30 years of therapy since then probably helped a lot. Also loved the band Sweet.
Funny you should mention both Bay City Rollers and the Sweet. Ive taken both in the MAD covers countdown.
Sweet with Peppermint Twist and Bay City Rollers with Bye Bye Baby.

Anyway, the point i want to make is that they both still tour with a hodgepodge of multiple lineups with original members of 1 or less using the name. I think there were 3 different bands calling themselves The Sweet at any one time and a couple calling themselves the Bay City Rollers
3 of the original 4 Sweet members are dead. 😥
2 in their early 50s
Here are the official versions of the various Sweet acts. Pretty sure there a couple of unofficial ones running around too from members who joined the original bands spinoffs. A lawyers wet dream
Spinoffs
  • Andy Scott's Sweet
  • Brian Connolly's Sweet
  • Steve Priest's Sweet
  • New Sweet

Comes Alive did seem to come out of nowhere. After Frampton left Humble Pie in 1971, he had a basically middling solo career for the next several years before the alive album just exploded.

:lol: maybe

It just was so out of the blue. I could see if Elton John or Led Zep released a live album that killed it in sales, but nobody even knew who Frampton WAS at the time.

Is there much difference between Frampton and Cheap Trick with At Budakon?
Good point and maybe not. To me, at least, the world felt different when Cheap Trick hit - it was like new things were allowed.
You could probably tack on Kiss with Alive! - another band that had modest commercial success until their first live album really brought them to the mainstream and huge success.

His manager and label promoted the hell out of it. Which means plenty of DJs got cocaine, hookers, whatever to feature it. Frampton's manager, Dee Anthony, had a model for all his acts which involved making four studio albums followed by a double live album, which would in theory solidify and intensify its fanbase and boost sales. There was no empirical evidence that this worked consistently, but for Frampton, it did.

#24T - JEAN-MICHEL JARRE - Oxygene (1976) (18 million albums)
Notable songs: Oxygene 4, Oxygen 2

Never heard of it. It falls in the ambient / synth pop / electronica genre. It's one of the best-selling albums ever in France with 2+ million sold there. It was still the #146 album to end the year in France . . . in 2015. It peaked at #78 on the U.S. charts. Worldwide, JMJ is said to have sold 80+ million records. Our global representatives will have to speak to this one.

#24T - MIKE OLDFIELD - Tubular Bells (1973) (18 million albums)
Notable songs: Mike Oldfield's Single / Tubular Bells (#7)

@zamboni mentioned this one awhile back. This debut album is two tracks (Part One and Part Two). The label carved out a piece of the composition and called it Mike Oldfield's Single (which some places called it Tubular Bells). Oldfield would release 50 more singles over the span of the next 45 years, and none of them charted. It peaked at #3 in the U.S. The single was used as the theme from The Exorcist movie.

#23 - SUPERTRAMP - Breakfast In America (1979) (19 million albums)
Notable songs: The Logical Song (#6), Take The Long Way Home (#10), Goodbye Stranger (#15), Title Track (#62)

I might not know 10 Supertramp songs, but I know the 4 primary ones from this album. I remember all of them on the radio a ton in the Summer of 1979. I still hear these songs on occasion.

Now that I think of it, I may have slighted Christopher Cross, who's first album came out at the end of the same year. I didn't initially include him as "rock," but the album sold 6.24 million copies and would have ranked at #117 on the list. Apologies to the Cross family and his 54,000 followers on IG.

#19T - THE WHO - Tommy (1969) (20 million albums)
Notable songs: See Me Feel Me (#12), Pinball Wizard (#19), I'm Free (#37), We're Not Gonna Take It, Overture, The Acid Queen, Listening To You, Sparks

One of the earlier rock operas and the best selling Who album by leaps and bounds. Not really sure why, as IMO, other albums were stronger. I saw an article / interview recently that said the band likely will never come back to tour in the U.S. because it's too expensive and they are all but guaranteed to lose money. Tim had this at #20.

#19T - REO SPEEDWAGON - High Infidelity (1980) (20 million albums)
Notable songs: Keep On Loving You (#1), Take It On The Run (#5), In Your Letter (#20), Don't Let Him Go (#24), Tough Guys, Out Of Season

Wouldn't have guessed this album was quite this massive. I had an REO phase at one point. Their first single (157 Riverside Avenue) was the address for the house where they stayed in while recording their debut album (which was in the town I grew up in at the same time). I saw them on a triple bill with Styx and Def Leppard in 2008. REO opened, and after their set, Kevin Cronin came and sat down next to me eating a Subway tuna sub.

Two racks left before I will go one album at a time. The next batch features one artist we haven't seen yet (1 of 4 remaining in that category) and 4 classic rock acts.

Last edited:

@zamboni mentioned this one awhile back. This debut album is two tracks (Part One and Part Two). The label carved out a piece of the composition and called it Mike Oldfield's Single (which some places called it Tubular Bells). Oldfield would release 50 more singles over the span of the next 45 years, and none of them charted. It peaked at #3 in the U.S. The single was used as the theme from The Exorcist movie.
Those album sales must undoubtedly be turning people's heads.

Never heard of it. It falls in the ambient / synth pop / electronica genre. It's one of the best-selling albums ever in France with 2+ million sold there. It was still the #146 album to end the year in France . . . in 2015. It peaked at #78 on the U.S. charts. Worldwide, JMJ is said to have sold 80+ million records. Our global representatives will have to speak to this one.
Could have sworn he played for the Quebec Nordiques in the early 1980s.

Last edited:

Notable songs: The Logical Song (#6), Take The Long Way Home (#10), Goodbye Stranger (#15), Title Track (#62)

I might not know 10 Supertramp songs, but I know the 4 primary ones from this album. I remember all of them on the radio a ton in the Summer of 1979. I still hear these songs on occasion.

Now that I think of it, I may have slighted Christopher Cross, who's first album came out at the end of the same year. I didn't initially include him as "rock," but the album sold 6.24 million copies and would have ranked at #117 on the list. Apologies to the Cross family and his 54,000 followers on IG.

#20T - THE WHO - Tommy (1969) (20 million albums)
Notable songs: See Me Feel Me (#12), Pinball Wizard (#19), I'm Free (#37), We're Not Gonna Take It, Overture, The Acid Queen, Listening To You, Sparks

One of the earlier rock operas and the best selling Who album by leaps and bounds. Not really sure why, as IMO, other albums were stronger. I saw an article / interview recently that said the band likely will never come back to tour in the U.S. because it's too expensive and they are all but guaranteed to lose money. Tim had this at #20.

#20T - REO SPEEDWAGON - High Infidelity (1980) (20 million albums)
Notable songs: Keep On Loving You (#1), Take It On The Run (#5), In Your Letter (#20), Don't Let Him Go (#24), Tough Guys, Out Of Season

Wouldn't have guessed this album was quite this massive. I had an REO phase at one point. Their first single (157 Riverside Avenue) was the address for the house where they stayed in while recording their debut album (which was in the town I grew up in at the same time). I saw them on a triple bill with Styx and Def Leppard in 2008. REO opened, and after their set, Kevin Cronin came and sat down next to me eating a Subway tuna sub.

Two racks left before I will go one album at a time. The next batch features one artist we haven't seen yet (1 of 4 remaining in that category) and 4 classic rock acts.
Of the #24s, I've never heard of one and am surprised the second sold that much. I'm on record here for decades as one who hates genre labels, but I'd love to know how these two got included when I'm pretty sure Off The Wall won't be.

I've already spoken my piece on Supertramp. Go find a dentist.

Tommy is a mess. I could make a good EP from it, but the rest is dope-addled junk. Trust me on this - I KNOW dope-addled, as I was the poster child back in the day.

REO wins by default and would probably win a few of these racks.

These two got included when I'm pretty sure Off The Wall won't be.
Since you asked, I searched / queried by albums tagged in the rock category / genre. Secondary to that, I checked to see if the albums ended up on the various supplemental rock album charts (rock, alternative, modern rock, etc.). I wasn't going to seek out and research every album. Who has time for that?

You are correct that Off The Wall was not included. Going back to Tim's Classic Rock thread, the intent was to primarily focus on artists that were played on rock-oriented radio. I like Off The Wall, but I have never heard any of it on a rock station or heard it described as a rock album. Michael and Stevie predominantly are classified as a blend of pop, R&B, Motown, dance, soul, gospel, funk, jazz, adult contemporary, etc. If you want to classify performers like these two as rock, so be it. Songs In The Key Of Life was borderline, and I included it. There is no good answer for any of this, as there are a bunch of artists that aren't black or white and are a whole lot of grey when trying to categorize.

The only way to avoid squabbling and bickering would have been to just compile a list of any and all albums regardless of genre. That would have been fairer (but IMO a lot less interesting). I don't see many of us wanting to rehash our fondest memories related to the Bee Gees, where we were when we first heard John Denver, or how we listened to Diana Ross night after night. No one is stopping you from making your own list and starting your own thread. We all have varying opinions on what's rock and what isn't. That doesn't make any of us wrong. But I would expect that you would have a minority opinion as to whether Off The Wall being considered a rock album. So call it a rock album and create and post your own list. That probably would be interesting to see.

Wouldn't have guessed this album was quite this massive.
20 million seems high, but this album was massive back in 1980. Just about everyone in middle and high school seemed to own it. Some good catchy pop tunes along with a great album cover.
The US and Canada apparently account for about 11 million of those sales. Maybe close to 12 million if the certifications are lagging true sales a bit.

The UK has only kicked in 60,000 - 80,000 Hi Infidelity sales to date. That means the rest of the world has kicked in roughly 8 million. For an artist like REO Speedwagon, that seems crazy ... but looks like it happened.

#40 - BILLY JOEL - 52nd Street (1978) (13.3 million albums)
Notable songs: My Life (#3), Big Shot (#14), Honesty (#24), Until The Night, Zanzibar, Stiletto
Missed these entries somehow.

I would agree that Zanzibar is one of Billy's greatest songs. It wasn't played on the radio much, at a little under 5:30 it might have been too long.

I saw Billy live with Elton, and Billy played Zanzibar. He talked a little beforehand about the song, and then introduced it by name. When he mentioned the name, I recall getting up and shouting "YEAH!!" pretty loudly, it was a concert after all.

No one else cheered. A few guys with their wives looked at me and chuckled. F'n geezers. :lmao:

He rocked out Zanzibar though, I was pleased.

Since you asked, I searched / queried by albums tagged in the rock category / genre. Secondary to that, I checked to see if the albums ended up on the various supplemental rock album charts (rock, alternative, modern rock, etc.). I wasn't going to seek out and research every album. Who has time for that?

You are correct that Off The Wall was not included. Going back to Tim's Classic Rock thread, the intent was to primarily focus on artists that were played on rock-oriented radio. I like Off The Wall, but I have never heard any of it on a rock station or heard it described as a rock album. Michael and Stevie predominantly are classified as a blend of pop, R&B, Motown, dance, soul, gospel, funk, jazz, adult contemporary, etc. If you want to classify performers like these two as rock, so be it. Songs In The Key Of Life was borderline, and I included it. There is no good answer for any of this, as there are a bunch of artists that aren't black or white and are a whole lot of grey when trying to categorize.

The only way to avoid squabbling and bickering would have been to just compile a list of any and all albums regardless of genre. That would have been fairer (but IMO a lot less interesting). I don't see many of us wanting to rehash our fondest memories related to the Bee Gees, where we were when we first heard John Denver, or how we listened to Diana Ross night after night. No one is stopping you from making your own list and starting your own thread. We all have varying opinions on what's rock and what isn't. That doesn't make any of us wrong. But I would expect that you would have a minority opinion as to whether Off The Wall being considered a rock album. So call it a rock album and create and post your own list. That probably would be interesting to see.
You have to remember that I'm an *******, David. But - outside of that context - I have never heard "Tubular Bells" played on an AOR channel, so whatever filter you're using is drunk. I also never heard Off The Wall played on AOR - I was using that as hyperbole and it was a dumb example. I'm not busting on you, man. You're just reporting what you find.

I do find it interesting that Stevie Wonder gets one "rock" credit and none of his other records are fit to be included.

You have to remember that I'm an *******, David. But - outside of that context - I have never heard "Tubular Bells" played on an AOR channel, so whatever filter you're using is drunk. I also never heard Off The Wall played on AOR - I was using that as hyperbole and it was a dumb example. I'm not busting on you, man. You're just reporting what you find.

I do find it interesting that Stevie Wonder gets one "rock" credit and none of his other records are fit to be included.
I agree with Uruk here. I don't see Tubular Bells or that Guy Lafleur guy any more AOR-like than MJ is, but so be it.

Notable songs: You Really Got Me (#36), Runnin' With The Devil (#84), Jamie's Cryin', Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, On Fire, Ice Cream Man, Eruption, I'm The One, Atomic Punk, Feel Your Love Tonigh
Iconic album. Runnin With The Devil was everything. Eruption too.
The one song not listed - Little Dreamer - gets unfairly lambasted by many, but I happen to like it a lot.

#20T - THE WHO - Tommy (1969) (20 million albums)

This is probably the weakest rack so far for me (the Supertramp album is good, the rest...). I didn't really need more evidence that popularity / sales doesn't necessarily equate to music worth listening to, but here it is.

#19T - THE DOORS - The Doors (1967) (20 million albums)
Notable songs: Light My Fire (#1), Break On Through (#126), The Crystal Ship, Soul Kitchen, 20th Century Fox, Alabama Song, The End, Backdoor Man, End Of The Night

IMO, the best of The Doors albums. Rolling Stone had it as high as #42. Tim had it ranked #49. They were a band that I wasn't that into as a kid, but they've grown on me over the years. I remember them being really popular after The Doors movie came out in 1991, especially at my college. Not sure how long that lasted.

#19T - BLONDIE - Parallel Lines (1978) 20 million albums)
Notable songs: Heart Of Glass (#1), One Way Or Another (#24), Picture This, I'm Gonna Love You Too, Hanging On The Telephone, Sunday Girl

The album had 6 successful singles internationally (just not that many in the States). The 20 million figure has come under scrutiny, as the other main database I used suggests a better estimate would be 8.7 million. I, too, am having a hard time coming up with a 20 million total, but it does sound like they were big globally and not just in the U.S.

#18 - LED ZEPPELIN - Led Zeppelin II (1969) (21.9 million albums)
Notable songs: Whole Lotta Love (#4), Living Loving Maid (#65), Heartbreaker, What Is And What Should Never Be, The Lemon Song, Thank You, Ramble On, Moby ****, Bring It On Home

Rolling Stone had it at #123. Tim had it at #10. It's my Led Zep fave. Not sure why the label would release Living Loving Maid as a stand alone single given all the other options (and that it is framed as a companion to Heartbreaker on the album. The 20-25 minute live Whole Lotta Love medleys were epic.

#17 - PINK FLOYD - Wish You Were Here (1975) (23 million albums)
Notable songs: Have A Cigar, Title Track, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Welcome To The Machine

As follow ups to mega selling albums go, this one is pretty good. I would pick to listen to WYWH a lot more than I would DSOTM, but I tend to like their rambling musical journey songs more than their shorter, more radio friendly offerings. Rolling Stone had it at #209, while Tim opted for #27. Definitely one to listen to with headphones on. Their life performances of this songs were also expanded and top notch.

#16 - THE BEATLES - The Beatles ("The White Album") (1968) (24 million albums)
Notable songs: Ob-La-Di Ob-Li-Da, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Back In The U.S.S.R., Martha My Dear, Dear Prudence, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, I'm So Tired, Rocky Raccoon, Birthday, Yer Blues, Mother Nature's Son, Helter Skelter

There are 30 tracks, so I couldn't list all of them. No singles were released from the album in either the US or UK. Rolling Stone had it at #29 vs. #5 for Tim. I like most of it, but there are some tracks that I would have ditched and made a single disc record out of the material. Or I would have configured things differently and made this into 2 or 3 releases. The Super Deluxe version contains 107 tracks . . . and those are the ones that were released. Who knows what else was held back. A lot of their songs were recorded and slotted on a variety of albums, plus they released a ton of non-album singles as well.

Hopefully this rack will be better received than the last one. Some of you were ready to tear meat off the bone. Savages!

The last full rack features two new artists . . . and I am sure the kvetching over what should have made the list will continue.

Hopefully this rack will be better received than the last one. Some of you were ready to tear meat off the bone. Savages!
Definitely some killer albums in this set. As far as bashing the albums in particular sets - you're just the messenger, unless you bought millions of these albums yourself, in which case - can I borrow some money?

Definitely some killer albums in this set. As far as bashing the albums in particular sets - you're just the messenger, unless you bought millions of these albums yourself, in which case - can I borrow some money?
No can do, my financially challenged friend. As I tell people, I am $1.5 million dollars short of being a millionaire.

How the hell does this make a Rock album chart?
I love JMJ. Have taken him and just about everyone of his albums in a music draft here.
I have bought everyone of his albums and downloaded his bootleg “12 Dreams of the Sun” performance at the Pyramids at the turn of the millenium on CD, VHS and DVD.

His album was pioneering for synth music. His performances at huge events legendary, but Rock? No way.

As for sales of this album, it has been released and rereleased numerous times.
There was a big fanfare when he did an Oxygene sequel album called Oxygene 7-13. It was released in 1997.
Less so when Oxygene 3 (Parts 14-20) was released in 2016
The follow up to Oxygene was Equinoxe. Also very successful. Its sequel Equinoxe Infinity in 2018 was stunning. His best release this century

Notable songs: Heart Of Glass (#1), One Way Or Another (#24), Picture This, I'm Gonna Love You Too, Hanging On The Telephone, Sunday Girl

The album had 6 successful singles internationally (just not that many in the States). The 20 million figure has come under scrutiny, as the other main database I used suggests a better estimate would be 8.7 million. I, too, am having a hard time coming up with a 20 million total, but it does sound like they were big globally and not just in the U.S
This album is amazing. Not a dud track on it.
6 singles in it, as mentioned, but several of the non singles like Pretty Baby and 11:59 are worthy of being singles, and possibly lead singles on any other album.
Credit goes to Mike Chapman as the producer here. Breaking free of the Chinn/Chapman production team that had massive success in the UK and globally.
I dare you to listen to Once I Had a Love and Heart of Glass and tell me a producer doesnt matter

Hot Dog was technically released with Fool In The Rain as a 45. Talk to the record company for wanting it out there that way.
The only criterion for a B-side is “something we’re not going to release as an A-side.”

Notable songs: Light My Fire (#1), Break On Through (#126), The Crystal Ship, Soul Kitchen, 20th Century Fox, Alabama Song, The End, Backdoor Man, End Of The Night

IMO, the best of The Doors albums. Rolling Stone had it as high as #42. Tim had it ranked #49. They were a band that I wasn't that into as a kid, but they've grown on me over the years. I remember them being really popular after The Doors movie came out in 1991, especially at my college. Not sure how long that lasted.

Notable songs: Whole Lotta Love (#4), Living Loving Maid (#65), Heartbreaker, What Is And What Should Never Be, The Lemon Song, Thank You, Ramble On, Moby ****, Bring It On Home

Rolling Stone had it at #123. Tim had it at #10. It's my Led Zep fave. Not sure why the label would release Living Loving Maid as a stand alone single given all the other options (and that it is framed as a companion to Heartbreaker on the album. The 20-25 minute live Whole Lotta Love medleys were epic.
I have to agree with you on both accounts. Both of these are my favorite albums by each of the artist, although neither has my favorite song by that artist. LZII just f'n rocks hard!

The album had 6 successful singles internationally (just not that many in the States). The 20 million figure has come under scrutiny, as the other main database I used suggests a better estimate would be 8.7 million. I, too, am having a hard time coming up with a 20 million total, but it does sound like they were big globally and not just in the U.S.

Notable songs: Have A Cigar, Title Track, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Welcome To The Machine

As follow ups to mega selling albums go, this one is pretty good. I would pick to listen to WYWH a lot more than I would DSOTM, but I tend to like their rambling musical journey songs more than their shorter, more radio friendly offerings. Rolling Stone had it at #209, while Tim opted for #27. Definitely one to listen to with headphones on. Their life performances of this songs were also expanded and top notch.

Notable songs: Ob-La-Di Ob-Li-Da, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Back In The U.S.S.R., Martha My Dear, Dear Prudence, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, I'm So Tired, Rocky Raccoon, Birthday, Yer Blues, Mother Nature's Son, Helter Skelter

There are 30 tracks, so I couldn't list all of them. No singles were released from the album in either the US or UK. Rolling Stone had it at #29 vs. #5 for Tim. I like most of it, but there are some tracks that I would have ditched and made a single disc record out of the material. Or I would have configured things differently and made this into 2 or 3 releases. The Super Deluxe version contains 107 tracks . . . and those are the ones that were released. Who knows what else was held back. A lot of their songs were recorded and slotted on a variety of albums, plus they released a ton of non-album singles as well.

The last full rack features two new artists . . . and I am sure the kvetching over what should have made the list will continue.
Monster rack here. Can’t say a bad word about any of them.

I'm kinda shocked The Doors sold this many LPs. The 1967 debuts are amazing.

I was way behind the curve on bands like Blondie. This is a good record.

Not much to say about Zep II. A face-melting LP.

WYWH is Floyd's best by far, IMO.

The White Album is a mess. The highs are higher than just about anyone else could dream of. The lows are "oof". Many, many years ago here we reordered the Beatles LPs inserting non-album singles and punting stupid ****. I don't know if that thread is still around, but it was a lot of fun.

I'm kinda shocked The Doors sold this many LPs. The 1967 debuts are amazing.

I was way behind the curve on bands like Blondie. This is a good record.

Not much to say about Zep II. A face-melting LP.

WYWH is Floyd's best by far, IMO.

The White Album is a mess. The highs are higher than just about anyone else could dream of. The lows are "oof". Many, many years ago here we reordered the Beatles LPs inserting non-album singles and punting stupid ****. I don't know if that thread is still around, but it was a lot of fun.
In another thread I cut the White Album down to a “short” double, like Exile or London Calling. And there was still room to add Hey Jude and Revolution (the rock one).

Regarding the sales figures for Parallel Lines:

Dang near every discotheque and night club on the planet Earth had run through multiple copies of this over 45+ years. This would be an album that would have appreciable sales in Rwanda, Cameroon, Mail, Jordan, Egypt, Nepal, Vietnam, The Philippines, Mongolia, etc. Pretty much everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread