What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (9 Viewers)

I never know the rules in regards to passive offside
There's no consistency at all on what "passive" means. Endo being offside probably isn't a problem if he's standing with his back to the Chelsea players -- IMO it wouldn't have been called. It's that he eyed up the player marking VvD and then set a pick. Probably should have been chalked off for a foul rather then the offside, just to keep things consistent.
My issue with this call, after watching the replays, is 2-fold.

1) We see AGGRESSIVE holding/shirt pulling/arms up on corners and free kicks that should be called and never is. If Endo had done any of that, then I could see the call. He stood there and the defender made zero effort to go by and could have.

2) If that call was made on the field, I could see it holding up.

I don't know the exact letter of the rules, so if his action was against it, then so be it.
I think the call isn't a foul. They said they were checking a possible offsides. I think it was ruled that he interfered with the play while starting in an offsides position, which I agree with. I don't think he committed a foul and if he had started onsides, the goal would've stood.
for such a long time follower of the sport, I still don't know the basic rules sometimes.

So from what you are saying setting a pick (as he even brought his arms up to create more contact), is legal and the play would have stood if he was not starting offside?

I know there is non stop pulling and tugging and holding on every free kick but that is usually when players are going for the ball. Endo seemed to have no care about the ball, he simply was playing the man.
He didn't move into Colwill though from what I saw. He just stood there and was "in the way". Don't know if you can call a foul on a player for holding their ground. I could be wrong too... Football rules seem like differential equations sometimes.
It wasn't a foul - but it did mean he was involved in the play, from an offside position. Harsh. But, fair.

In that Bettis game I watched earlier, Williams was called for a foul and a yellow on a play that wasn't even a foul... Minutes after being fouled himself, with no call, that led to Betis scoring. Williams was shuked, got up and applauded the yellow... Getting a second for a red. All on a play that wasn't even a foul.

In that Bettis game I watched earlier, Williams was called for a foul and a yellow on a play that wasn't even a foul... Minutes after being fouled himself, with no call, that led to Betis scoring. Williams was shuked, got up and applauded the yellow... Getting a second for a red. All on a play that wasn't even a foul.
Have said before that making a terrible non-call/call and then booking the complaining player is the ref equivalent of cops telling someone to "stop resisting" as they continue to beat them. It's the go to for the absolute worst of the refs and an easy way to impact the game if one is so inclined -- without having to wait for actual foul play or award a PK.

Someone is going to have to explain to me how Kudus concedes a free kick right before half time for the one which Toney missed while offside, but when he does more or less the same thing earlier in the game, except the challenge is stronger, there's no pen

Everyone after Liverpool beat Chelsea with academy players “Chelsea’s 200 million dollar players were younger!!”

Klopp- I’ll show you

Koumas and Danns x2

The discussion on VVD's goal being called off got even more fun mid week when United's was allowed to stand for a similar incident in the FA Cup.

From what I can tell, the Chelsea defender was blocked by an offside player and was prevented from making a play on the ball. Forrest's defender that was blocked similarly would not have been involved and could not have made a play on the ball so it was not interfering.

But perhaps the ref wanted to make up for not giving a stonewall PK for Rashford getting crushed in the box. And later decided the Forrest player's hand around Bruno's neck wasn't a red (Casemiro would have been banned for the rest of the season for it).

At the end of the day, regardless of who you support, the refs need to do a better job of consistency not only game to game, but often play to play in the same game.

Forest fans ready to riot on a non-PK, but I'm pretty sure the Forest player spun Gomez around by the shirt immediately before to create space (I'd like to see the whole clip again). Still lucky though -- you can have no confidence at all what the refs/VAR are going to do. And credit to the fans there -- they bayed like lunatics for every call for 90 minutes. Drew a yellow on Bradley where he made zero contact.

Nunez with the 99th minute winner to keep the dreams alive.

Almost certainly need to beat City at Anfield next week -- and then get/stay healthy -- to have any chance at the title.

So I've learned that they were also booing for the "99th minute" part of the equation, which didn't even occur to me -- having eyes that work, and being able to count.

One of their subs couldn't make it off the pitch. Tried, valiantly, heroically even, to make it to the sideline, but the leg was just too damaged and he had to be assisted by two training staff. Upon which he calmly walked to the dugout. Carlos Ruiz smiled in his grave somewhere. Two minutes. Then there was a bad collision between Danns (carded) and the keeper who was legit shaken and down for 3-4 minutes. Loads of subs. A couple yellows for time wasting. Two VAR checks.

Lesson learned, I'm sure.

Stocksbridge Park Steels 1-2 Hebburn Town today, late alteration to plans because of postponements but finally got to watch a game from the Jamie Vardy Stand.

I say a game, I mean the first half as it was a bit chilly and the clubhouse offered better views

I sometimes watch in-game odds live in big matches and one thing that's really counter-intuitive is how long the game has to go before a big favorite starts shipping win probability. City's win probability was at like 80% to start the game and dropped to 58% after the goal. But in the 40 minutes of game time since then it's only dropped to 52%. It seems like that would bleed out faster than it does, but it won't move fast until the 70th minute or so.

I had to look just now to see if B Fernandez was playing. I missed the first 15 minutes or so, but don't think I noticed his name once since turning it on.

Spurs continue their run of sleepy first halves, followed by good play 2nd half. Up 2-0, and Villa just got a red card.

They have both Porro and Udogie back together this week, and you can tell. They are so much better when both of these guys are playing.

Best value in world football for ~7 years now. Every game is just such high quality.

Surprised how well Liverpool is playing without four locked-on starters (Ali, Konate, Trent A-A, Salah). Those are really big shoes to fill when the options are Kelleher, Quansah, Bradley and Elliott.

Best value in world football for ~7 years now. Every game is just such high quality.

Surprised how well Liverpool is playing without four locked-on starters (Ali, Konate, Trent A-A, Salah). Those are really big shoes to fill when the options are Kelleher, Quansah, Bradley and Elliott.
Those guys haven't just filled in. All 4 looked REALLY good. Especially Quansah and Bradley.

2nd Diaz chance was not a chance -- the ball was far enough behind him he had to take a touch. The first one though -- oof.

Liverpool all over City in a way they almost never have to deal with. But can Liverpool make it count?

I don't have a problem with any of these calls -- Oliver called the game the way I'd prefer to see it called. But I sure would like to see them called consistently.

I've been told for 30 years that you're in charge of what happens with your studs. Simple rule, called like that all the time. You can't hurt someone with the bottom of your boot. And now Caicedo has knocked Gravenberch out for a month and Doku has caught MacAllister's chest square with no foul given in either case.

Really, really needed Pool to get the three points there. Didn't watch the game but it sounds like rigging for the oil ****s at the death?

Non-common opponents, remaining 10 matches:

LFC: v Brighton, v Sheffield United, @ Man United
Man City: v Arsenal, v Luton, @NFFC
(7 in common)

LFC: v Sheffield United, v Palace, @ Fulham, @ West Ham
Arsenal: @City, v Luton, v Bournemouth, v Everton
(7 in common)

City: @Palace, @NFFC, @ Fulham, v West Ham
Arsenal: v Brighton, v Bournemouth, @ Man United, v Everton
(6 in common)

Users who are viewing this thread