What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (2 Viewers)

[QUOTE="CletiusMaximus, post: 24856612, member: ] Expect to see pictures of Jose having a coffee on the Marienplatz tomorrow.
[/QUOTE]
Is that the Munich airport?

He's been hanging there for a month

Harry Kane tap in and its 3-2 at Bochum. Regardless, I expect the Xabi Alonso bidding war is already well underway.
8 points clear of Bayern now.

Is the Kane trophy curse this strong?

Harry missed a late equalizer on a free header that he usually buries - hit it hard but straight at the keeper.
Kane scores in injury time to keep Bayern within 8.

Leverkusen showing no signs of slowing down though with another 3 points yesterday

Gravenberch knocked out of the game by Caicedo's studs to his ankle, stretchered off, and not only not a red card, but no foul given. Don't really care that it's "accidental" - it's been a red card ALL YEAR when the shoe was, literally, on the other foot. Jones slipped over top a ball and was red carded -- upheld on appeal too.
I don't see a red card there. Caicedo wasn't even making a move for the ball, he was just running and Gravenberch's follow through brought his foot under where Caicedo was planting. It should've been a foul and a yellow, but I'm happy VAR didn't intervene because that would've been a miscarriage of justice and ruined the game.

Jones' red card happened because he hit studs up a foot above the boot. Caicedo was directly on the boot and studs weren't up.

Gravenberch knocked out of the game by Caicedo's studs to his ankle, stretchered off, and not only not a red card, but no foul given. Don't really care that it's "accidental" - it's been a red card ALL YEAR when the shoe was, literally, on the other foot. Jones slipped over top a ball and was red carded -- upheld on appeal too.
I don't see a red card there. Caicedo wasn't even making a move for the ball, he was just running and Gravenberch's follow through brought his foot under where Caicedo was planting. It should've been a foul and a yellow, but I'm happy VAR didn't intervene because that would've been a miscarriage of justice and ruined the game.

Jones' red card happened because he hit studs up a foot above the boot. Caicedo was directly on the boot and studs weren't up.
Agreed. At very best that is a yellow for me. There was no intention to hurt and there was no reckless play. Just purely bad timing.

I never know the rules in regards to passive offside
There's no consistency at all on what "passive" means. Endo being offside probably isn't a problem if he's standing with his back to the Chelsea players -- IMO it wouldn't have been called. It's that he eyed up the player marking VvD and then set a pick. Probably should have been chalked off for a foul rather then the offside, just to keep things consistent.

I have no idea how Chelsea hasn't scored one of those chances in the last 15 minutes, but it's almost comical at this point. Kelleher has been standing on his head.

There's no consistency at all on what "passive" means. Endo being offside probably isn't a problem if he's standing with his back to the Chelsea players -- IMO it wouldn't have been called. It's that he eyed up the player marking VvD and then set a pick. Probably should have been chalked off for a foul rather then the offside, just to keep things consistent.
My issue with this call, after watching the replays, is 2-fold.

1) We see AGGRESSIVE holding/shirt pulling/arms up on corners and free kicks that should be called and never is. If Endo had done any of that, then I could see the call. He stood there and the defender made zero effort to go by and could have.

2) If that call was made on the field, I could see it holding up.

I don't know the exact letter of the rules, so if his action was against it, then so be it.

It's hard to see how Liverpool win this:

1st choice players - VvD, Konate, Diaz
2nd choice players - Kelleher, Tsimikas, Gomez, Endo, Elliot
3rd choice players -
WTF is that?! players - Clark, McConnell, Danns

Allison, Matip, Trent, Szoboszlai, Gravenberch, Bajcetic, Thiago, Jones, Salah, Nunez, Jota, Doak all injured

1) We see AGGRESSIVE holding/shirt pulling/arms up on corners and free kicks that should be called and never is. If Endo had done any of that, then I could see the call. He stood there and the defender made zero effort to go by and could have.

I don't know the exact letter of the rules, so if his action was against it, then so be it.
I think the call isn't a foul. They said they were checking a possible offsides. I think it was ruled that he interfered with the play while starting in an offsides position, which I agree with. I don't think he committed a foul and if he had started onsides, the goal would've stood.

Listening/watching the explanation afterward, I get it now. It's not that it was a foul, it was simply that he was offside and played a part. Don't like it, but ok.
Just one of those rules that is enforced so inconsistently it almost feels arbitrary...
Yeah.

Again, if called on the field, it would feel better. Just feels "soft" with it being called by VAR. Like looking for ANYTHING to invalidate the goal. And the effort of Colwill to defend was pathetic.

Listening/watching the explanation afterward, I get it now. It's not that it was a foul, it was simply that he was offside and played a part. Don't like it, but ok.
Just one of those rules that is enforced so inconsistently it almost feels arbitrary...
Yeah.

Again, if called on the field, it would feel better. Just feels "soft" with it being called by VAR. Like looking for ANYTHING to invalidate the goal. And the effort of Colwill to defend was pathetic.
I'm ok with it. Imagine if it had stood... The entire commentary after the game would be that Liverpool were gifted a Cup due to that missed interference and the 1 cm offsides from Chelsea earlier. I'd prefer there to be no controversy over the winner.

I think the call isn't a foul. They said they were checking a possible offsides. I think it was ruled that he interfered with the play while starting in an offsides position, which I agree with. I don't think he committed a foul and if he had started onsides, the goal would've stood.
for such a long time follower of the sport, I still don't know the basic rules sometimes.

So from what you are saying setting a pick (as he even brought his arms up to create more contact), is legal and the play would have stood if he was not starting offside?

I know there is non stop pulling and tugging and holding on every free kick but that is usually when players are going for the ball. Endo seemed to have no care about the ball, he simply was playing the man.

for such a long time follower of the sport, I still don't know the basic rules sometimes.

So from what you are saying setting a pick (as he even brought his arms up to create more contact), is legal and the play would have stood if he was not starting offside?

I know there is non stop pulling and tugging and holding on every free kick but that is usually when players are going for the ball. Endo seemed to have no care about the ball, he simply was playing the man.
He didn't move into Colwill though from what I saw. He just stood there and was "in the way". Don't know if you can call a foul on a player for holding their ground. I could be wrong too... Football rules seem like differential equations sometimes.

I do love that Chelsea's top team is struggling to pull out this win against, essentially, a C team due to injuries.

Hope all that money for Caicedo and Fernandez was worth it :)

I do love that Chelsea's top team is struggling to pull out this win against, essentially, a C team due to injuries.

Enzo hasn't impressed me much today. I think Caicedo has been good, although he should be on a yellow. Endo has probably been the best midfielder in the game today and he only cost Liverpool 16M pounds. Pretty embarrassing for Chelsea's recruitment team IMO.

Chelsea are missing their 2 best players as well... although they aren't nearly as injured as Liverpool.

Enzo hasn't impressed me much today. I think Caicedo has been good, although he should be on a yellow. Endo has probably been the best midfielder in the game today and he only cost Liverpool 16M pounds. Pretty embarrassing for Chelsea's recruitment team IMO.

Chelsea are missing their 2 best players as well... although they aren't nearly as injured as Liverpool.

Agreed Enzo has been poor. Gallagher played another good game other than fluffing a few good chances.

Agreed Enzo has been poor. Gallagher played another good game other than fluffing a few good chances.
With a little luck today Gallagher would've had a brace and an assist and been a Cobham hero.... He really didn't get any bounces his way though. He was Chelsea's main threat though.

No idea what changed at full time, but Chelsea looked like they were peppering Liverpool at the end of regular time and couldn't find a goal. The fact that they came out and were outplayed by a bunch of teenagers in extra time is pretty insane. No idea where Chelsea goes from here. Congrats to our resident Liverpool fans though.

"One of the charismatic German's greatest achievements, to win the cup with three teenagers on the field. Players who should have been playing in the Youth Cup have won the League Cup."

It's like the commentators read Cletius's mind. ;)

"One of the charismatic German's greatest achievements, to win the cup with three teenagers on the field. Players who should have been playing in the Youth Cup have won the League Cup."

It's like the commentators read Cletius's mind. ;)

Agreed - that is some perfect commentary. I thought the last couple of cup finals between these teams were good games but today was poor.

Agreed - that is some perfect commentary.
You're a good sport Cletius, sorry if that was "too soon".

This Chelsea team could really use a cup win but surely didn't deserve it today so I'm fine with it all. And I don't begrudge Klopp anything - same as Pep - they both earned everything they've won and deserve the accolades but I still think they're both insufferable wankers.

Users who are viewing this thread