What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (6 Viewers)

I used to scoff at people who bought prime brisket - mostly just because the whole idea for me is that its supposed to be a cheap cut of meat that is made into good food through long hours on the smoker. But the last two I've made were prime briskets from Costco and they were fantastic. I used this guy's method - https://www.youtube.com/@ChudsBbq/videos - .

GL
On his channel he heats his sauce pans on what looks like a metal disc but I don't see any wires. How does that thing heat a pan with out a source of power?
He heats it on his grill, I believe. I saw him discuss how he does it in one of his previous videos.
That makes sense.

But he still puts what must be really hot metal on what looks like a wood cutting board....I would think that would be dangerous or at least harm the board. Here is the spot in this video where he uses the metal to make his sauce.

Yeah he uses it all the time for stuff like this. I dont know how that thing doesnt burn that butcher block. But it doesnt seem to leave much of a mark. He makes some awesome stuff. I am planning to order some of his sausage starter mix as I want to experiment with making my own in the smoker.
It's just a regular old trivet. He heats the pan on a burner.
I see he sells them in his merch store

My neighbor smokes his briskets for a few hours then finishes them in a pressure cooker to cut down the cooking time. They come out tender and taste great but the pressure cooking destroys the bark. I was wondering if it's possible to do it the opposite way- pressure cook then smoke to finish. Would the cooked meat still be able to take in the smoke?

My neighbor smokes his briskets for a few hours then finishes them in a pressure cooker to cut down the cooking time. They come out tender and taste great but the pressure cooking destroys the bark. I was wondering if it's possible to do it the opposite way- pressure cook then smoke to finish. Would the cooked meat still be able to take in the smoke?

I doubt it would work well. The cooked meat doesn't take the smoke like raw. I've read that nearly all of the smoke flavor comes very early in the cook. Toward the end, the smoke isn't really doing much.

No. There is a certain point (maybe around 145 or 165) where the meat will not take on smoke.

Man - why people don't use Franklin's proven method to do perfect brisket is beyond me. It's fool proof.
The joy of BBQ is the trial and error process/experimentation toward the ultimate goal of perfecting your own techniques and flavors. At least for me. I'm always tinkering with new stuff. Otherwise it gets pretty boring.

But, if I'm making turkey breast on the smoker it is Franklin's method every single time.

What do I need to ask for Christmas?

Do I need more grills? What accessories am I missing?

Between the egg and blackstone I’m pretty happy with what I have

I also have a small stand alone wood fired pizza oven I’ve yet to use

I did see there’s a rotisserie attachment for the egg that looked kind of cool, but I feel like I probably wouldn’t use it that often.

I did see there’s a rotisserie attachment for the egg that looked kind of cool, but I feel like I probably wouldn’t use it that often.

I have a rotisserie attachment for my Weber, it's fun.

I don't think I'd use a Blackstone that much. When needed I use my cast iron griddle on my grills.

Not really grilling, but what do you guys have for a propane/pot setup for frying turkey and doing seafood boils? How big of a pot do I need? Looks like most on Amazon are 30 qt.

Not really grilling, but what do you guys have for a propane/pot setup for frying turkey and doing seafood boils? How big of a pot do I need? Looks like most on Amazon are 30 qt.

Just saw a site that a 60 qt pot is needed for a 30 pound sack of crawfish.

I have a rotisserie attachment for my Weber, it's fun.

I don't think I'd use a Blackstone that much. When needed I use my cast iron griddle on my grills.
I only have the egg and the blackstone and even if I had a griddle for the egg I feel like it wouldn’t be big enough. Also like being able to get different temperature zones. But yeah, if you have something that already works it’s probably unnecessary
I have thought about getting something like this, even to do like fried chicken and fish and stuff rather than stinking up the house

i believe mine is 80 quarts but I only use it for crawfish and seafood boils. I have a smaller "turkey sized" one that I used to use for turkeys. I wouldn't want to buy, heat, clean, or store enough peanut oil to fill the big boiler. However, after many years of frying turkeys I've moved on to spatchcocked and fast cooked in the oven or smoker. They're as good or better and a lot less effort and cleanup. And I'm less likely to burn my house down if I'm a few drinks in...

i believe mine is 80 quarts but I only use it for crawfish and seafood boils. I have a smaller "turkey sized" one that I used to use for turkeys. I wouldn't want to buy, heat, clean, or store enough peanut oil to fill the big boiler. However, after many years of frying turkeys I've moved on to spatchcocked and fast cooked in the oven or smoker. They're as good or better and a lot less effort and cleanup. And I'm less likely to burn my house down if I'm a few drinks in...

Do you use the same burner for the different size pots?

Do you use the same burner for the different size pots?
No. The burner and base for the 80 quart pot is much larger. However, I also bought the smaller pot 25 years ago and the bigger pot more recently. I don't see any reason the smaller pot wouldn't work on the bigger burner but the bigger pot would not fit on the smaller burner and the smaller burner would take forever to heat the bigger pot.

Man - why people don't use Franklin's proven method to do perfect brisket is beyond me. It's fool proof.
The joy of BBQ is the trial and error process/experimentation toward the ultimate goal of perfecting your own techniques and flavors. At least for me. I'm always tinkering with new stuff. Otherwise it gets pretty boring.

But, if I'm making turkey breast on the smoker it is Franklin's method every single time.
I don't actually know what Franklin's turkey method is, but I've been doing the trial and error thing with turkey breasts ever since finishing our outdoor setup and I gotta say what I've figured out is DAMN good. Did it for a Friendsgiving for 18 people too and it was the only food item that got demolished after my wife was like "do we really need 4 turkey breasts that's ridiculous. The internet says half that much meat per person" LOL.

I've got my own rub that's basically salt, pepper, garlic, paprika (not smoked), and a teensy bit of jalapeno powder (not overly complicated)
Apple cider based injection (not vinegar, cider) night before (includes a little worcestershire)
Smoke at 275 with a mix of about 50% standard competition pellets and 50% apple pellets

Pull them off at 150. For each breast, one foil wrap that contains foil - half stick of butter cut longways in half again - turkey - half stick of butter cut longways in half again - close up.

Put back on upside down until they reach 160.

Pull off, let sit until carryover to 165.

Unwrap and rest while you smoke all the butter/juice drippings from the foil for a few minutes

Slice

Pour over the melted butter

(Edit: EAT it!)

I don't actually know what Franklin's turkey method is, but I've been doing the trial and error thing with turkey breasts ever since finishing our outdoor setup and I gotta say what I've figured out is DAMN good. Did it for a Friendsgiving for 18 people too and it was the only food item that got demolished after my wife was like "do we really need 4 turkey breasts that's ridiculous. The internet says half that much meat per person" LOL.

I've got my own rub that's basically salt, pepper, garlic, paprika (not smoked), and a teensy bit of jalapeno powder (not overly complicated)
Apple cider based injection (not vinegar, cider) night before (includes a little worcestershire)
Smoke at 275 with a mix of about 50% standard competition pellets and 50% apple pellets

Pull them off at 150. For each breast, one foil wrap that contains foil - half stick of butter cut longways in half again - turkey - half stick of butter cut longways in half again - close up.

Unwrap and rest while you smoke all the butter/juice drippings from the foil for a few minutes

Slice

What does finishing in the foil do to the skin?

Slice

I do the breasts skinless. Tried without a wrap, with a wrap, with skin, and without, and my favorite combo is skinless and wrapped with butter. Tried different temps and different pellet combos too lol.

Edit: and injection or not, brine or not, different spicing and ratios....I love smoked turkey I really wanna have the best one.

Slice

That's pretty similar to Franklin actually. No injection though, and rub is just 1/3 kosher salt, 2/3 black pepper. The rest is about the same.

Slice

I do the breasts skinless. Tried without a wrap, with a wrap, with skin, and without, and my favorite combo is skinless and wrapped with butter. Tried different temps and different pellet combos too lol.

Edit: and injection or not, brine or not, different spicing and ratios....I love smoked turkey I really wanna have the best one.

Yeah, Franklin is skinless as well. He says to smoke with what used to be the skin side facing up. The flip, butter and foil to finish

Slice

Yeah, Franklin is skinless as well. He says to smoke with what used to be the skin side facing up. The flip, butter and foil to finish
Then yeah, I'd say hsi method is awesome. The flip is what I do too. His method seems to have seeded basically all YouTubes and messageboards HAHA

Publix has standing rib roasts right now for $6.99/LB. The rib bones are cut off but tied back on for easy roasting.

Ill buy a couple 4 or 5 pounders, bring em home, cut em into boneless ribeyes and vacuum seal them individually. I cut as thick or thin as I want, it's a GREAT way to stock up on nice steaks. Then I also freeze the bones and use em for stock.

this has been posted over and over again, but I always forget.

How many servings per pound of pork shoulder? Assume a 4-6 ounce heap of pulled pork per serving.

ALSO

Looking for a new pork butt recipe. I have been using variations of this for years, but I am bored with it. Watcha got?
My rule of thumb is roughly 10 people per 7-8 pound uncooked Boston Butt.

Help if anyone sees this in the next half hour or so. I am feeding 25 and pre smoked 2 pork butts for pulling. They were stored in tins wrapped in Saran and then foil. I was all but sure I could reheat them at 225 with the Saran and foil, but of course just found one opinion to use foil only. I thought the Saran would ensure max moisture. Thoughts?

Help if anyone sees this in the next half hour or so. I am feeding 25 and pre smoked 2 pork butts for pulling. They were stored in tins wrapped in Saran and then foil. I was all but sure I could reheat them at 225 with the Saran and foil, but of course just found one opinion to use foil only. I thought the Saran would ensure max moisture. Thoughts?
You’ll be good

You’ll be good
Thanks!!!!!

Americas Test Kitchen has seriously elevated my chicken game. Roll the skin back on bone in chicken legs and thighs and salt the meat then roll the skin over where it was before pellet grilling skin side down at 450 for 20 mins then flip and 10-15 mins more til 180 degrees. So good

Last edited:
Americas Test Kitchen has seriously elevated my chicken game. Roll the skin back on bone in chicken legs and thighs and salt the meat then roll the skin over where it was before pellet grilling skin side down at 450 for 20 mins then flip and 10-15 mins more til 180 degrees. So good
While you have the skin rolled back, cut out the tendons in the legs. I do this every time I cook chicken legs and it's a game changer.

While you have the skin rolled back, cut out the tendons in the legs. I do this every time I cook chicken legs and it's a game changer.
Do you french them and then pull them out or some other method?

Do you french them and then pull them out or some other method?
Nope, just pull the skin back, cut the tendons and slide the skin back on.

Like this: https://youtube.com/shorts/4mR5W_AeYOo?si=TJPxRPerouwxD3t5

Almost the same technique, but air fried thighs with seasoned skin is :chefskiss:

Users who are viewing this thread