What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Anyone have a grill brush they love? Trying to stay away from one where the wire bristles might end up in my food.
Got one of those grill rescue brushes as a gift. It's the best brush I've ever used and you just throw the head in the dishwasher to clean.
Wife just bought one of the grill rescue brushes for us a week or two ago when it was on sale. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, but it may still be on sale if that is route that AC is going.
I think it's "on sale" a majority of the time. I like mine a lot. Have a pellet smoker and a cast iron griddle...works well on both.

Traeger grill owner, did some frozen pizzas the other night but that's not the point of this post. The temperature setting goes up to 400 or 425 but the hottest I've ever been able to get the thing is 325 and that's on an 80+ degree day with no wind. Any thoughts as to what might be holding the heat back or just live with it? Firebox was clean so it's not a build up of ash.
I have a Camp Chef, but had a similar situation so figured I would share. My high temp seemed to be in the 425 range, which definitely wasn’t as hot as it had at one time gotten to. Ultimately (a year later?) my grill had an error code at startup which my Google research indicated was most likely a temperature proper failure. It was a $15 part that I replaced myself which not only resolved the error code, but my grill has been consistently at 500 at high temp since then. Maybe you also have a faulty temperature probe that’s simply restricting how hot your grill is getting?

Ive heard also the pellets you use can impact temperature as well. I generally use Lumberjack and some say the Charcoal blend ones go hotter then regular. Ultimately, when i was researching pellet smokers this was one of the biggest issues/challenges. Its why i went with the smoker i bought(mak 1 star). Which can get up to 650 no problem. Still, not as hot as i might want to seer but does the trick to grill and can do open flame.

Full disclosure, I've never used a pellet stove, and haven't really been around one up close while operating, so I could be way off here. But do the pellets actually provide any heat? I figured that it was an electric heating element for the heat (like a conventional oven), with some pellets added in for the smoke flavor.
at least in mine, the heat is all from the pellets. They are pushed into the chamber to burn at a certain speed which lines up with the temperature needed. But the heat is indeed coming from wood pellets. Some smokers can even have it produce direct flame via the pellets as well.

There are electric smokers that do use an electric element and have an area to add pellets or wood chips etc as well.

That makes sense. Thinking about it now, I should have realized that. It's take a 220V circuit to get 400 on a conventional oven. Might be tough to do on on a 110V power supply in a rig with less insulation.
I have a cheap model (brown) pit boss classic. I have had no problems getting to 500 from day one. It runs on 120
If I open up the slide inside to expose the fire box thing the flame shoots like a 4” round blowtorch probably 2-3” above the grate

I have spent the last 15+ years cooking on my Big Green Egg and a Webber Genesis gas grill. I have been noticing a lot of videos the past few years showcasing the flat top outdoor cooking surfaces (like the Blackstone ones).

Does anyone here cook on this type of surface outdoors and what are your impressions?

I have spent the last 15+ years cooking on my Big Green Egg and a Webber Genesis gas grill. I have been noticing a lot of videos the past few years showcasing the flat top outdoor cooking surfaces (like the Blackstone ones).

Does anyone here cook on this type of surface outdoors and what are your impressions?
Been using a blackstone all week this week for breakfast lunch and dinner and the thing is amazing

Been using a blackstone all week this week for breakfast lunch and dinner and the thing is amazing

Is Blackstone the big name in this space or are there competitors?

I have a Genesis and a Pitboss grill on my deck with a Weber smokey mountain below my deck. Wife said no more grills or griddles. I bought a Griddle insert for my Genesis and it works well for making breakfast and other things. I haven't done the smash burger thing yet, but it works well otherwise.

My smoked Jamaican jerk wings were ####### awesome last night. They were the hit of the Olympic opening ceremony party.

I marinaded the wings for two days in a homemade jerk sauce that I made using a Jamaican jerk seasoning blend from Savory Spice Shop, soy sauce, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, fresh-squeezed orange juice and lime juice, turbinado sugar, fresh ground allspice berries, and some other fresh herbs and spices including thyme, ginger, garlic, green onions, and Scotch Bonnet peppers. I used Pimento wood chips that I special-ordered as my smoking wood because the Pimento tree is what produces the allspice berries that are used as one the primary spices in jerk. I cooked the wings for about 2.5 hours in my WSM, occasionally braising with my jerk sauce and flipping the wings once at the mid-way point. Here is what the wings looked like when I pulled them off my smoker:

http://imageshack.com/a/img545/4153/zmwt.jpg

I also smoked some Jamaican jerk tofu for the vegetarians at the party. I've never had tofu before last night, but I have to say it wasn't too bad after the jerk and smoke flavors were infused into it. The vegetarians seemed to like it anyways.
collins landscaping group
http://imageshack.com/a/img853/9707/5soq.jpg
I have a Weber propane grill and a Charbroil propane vertical smoker.
I love my grill.
The smoker works OK, but there are a few things I would like to improve on:
- In winter time, the smoker will not maintain a temperature high enough to smoke.
- Temperature variation is significant. Slight change in breeze, dramatic change in temperature.
- While I rarely have all of the shelves full in my vertical smoker, at times it would be nice to have a single larger grate for larger items.

What I want:
Cost isn't a serious factor. I am Ok with paying more for something that will work well and last.
I want the ability to set a temperature and forget it. I would like to do more longer cooks, but want to minimize the tending required.
My smoker gets used a couple times a month on average.
Preference to lower maintenance, simplicity to setup.
The smoker will likely live outside beside my Weber grill or may get wheeled into the garage. Depends on portability.

I have been looking at pellet smokers or electric smokers.
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the pros and cons of each, and what you might recommend.
I am looking mostly for experience of pellet vs electric, then possibly some input on unit selection.
At the moment I am leaning towards a pellet smoker. But, not by much.

Pellet smokers I have been looking at:
RecTeq700, CampChef Woodwind, Yoder 640

Electric smokers:
Charbroil Electric smoker
Smokin-IT electric smoker (3.5D or ???)

Thanks for your thoughts.
I would go pellet over electric and out of that group of pellets I would pick the RecTec for best value and quality construction. I've had mine now for a few years now and it's still rock solid and it lives in salt air.

I have multiple types of cast iron pans for when I want a flat surface.

I would think the flat tops would be a pain in the butt to keep "clean."

I have the exact same setup, also going back 15+ years. I use the Weber mostly just to store my grill tools. I use the BGE about 90% of all grilling and smoking. I have a heavy Lodge cast iron griddle I use on the gas grill for burgers and a few other things. It works great. Needs a long warmup on high heat but once it’s ready is great for smash burgers.

I’ve been using one for a few months now, love it. The egg is pretty much reserved for smoking now

Was all set to buy a Blackstone and then saw a video on Twitter from Joel Dahmen's caddy that showed a rat having babies on his Blackstone. Been reading on Reddit about rodents regularly getting on the Blackstones because they seek out the grease trap .

Any of you guys who have one have that problem? Is this a big issue?

Was all set to buy a Blackstone and then saw a video on Twitter from Joel Dahmen's caddy that showed a rat having babies on his Blackstone. Been reading on Reddit about rodents regularly getting on the Blackstones because they seek out the grease trap .

Idk if the one we used was just different, but there's a drain at the back center and a holder with a spot for an aluminum foil pan that fits right into the slot. Each day we just dumped that or tossed it when full and added a new one. Obviously you should clean the grill like any other grill after use too. We were out in the wilderness all week with plenty of critters and no issues.

Rats no, 20 lb hound dog yes.

As mentioned just clean the grill you should be fine

Zero problem with this, but mine stays cleaned and covered.

Is this thing necessary?

I am trying to think of what I cannot do if I don't have one of these.

Is this thing necessary?

I just use a cast iron griddle that I can put on my gas grill. Bonus is that it's mobile so can take camping.

Is this thing necessary?

So everything you own is "necessary"?

It's been one of the more fun items I've bought for cooking. You can do mass quantities on one surface that makes it's easier to clean than what it would have taken to cook the same meal. It's basically cast iron, so you get amazing sears on your meats and can do multiple steaks at a time.

Heck, I''d buy mine again if you told me i could only cook breakfast on it on the weekends. :banned:

Is this thing necessary?

So everything you own is "necessary"?

It's been one of the more fun items I've bought for cooking. You can do mass quantities on one surface that makes it's easier to clean than what it would have taken to cook the same meal. It's basically cast iron, so you get amazing sears on your meats and can do multiple steaks at a time.

Heck, I''d buy mine again if you told me i could only cook breakfast on it on the weekends. :banned:

Think I’ll do bacon eggs and hashbrowns tomorrow

Still getting the hang of eggs on it

Don't worry about it. Rats get into/on every kind of grill. Just get it good and hot and clean if off before cooking.

I’m not sure who the brisket guys are in here, but I have questions

Planning to smoke a 10-12 lb butt for pulling and a brisket for slicing later this month. I’ve only ever smoked one brisket, everyone liked it, I thought it was ok. But I have no idea if I had a whole brisket, flat or point…I’m lost here. My brother bought part of a beef and this came with it. He said his list said “half brisket” 🤷🏻‍♂️ If I had to guess I’d say it weighed 10-12 lbs raw

Is this the whole brisket?

Do I want a whole brisket?

A local store here has CAB alot, the CAB steaks are always really great, but I never looked for CAB brisket there. Is CAB sufficient or should I be aiming for prime?

I appreciate any help anyone can give me

Planning to smoke a 10-12 lb butt for pulling and a brisket for slicing later this month. I’ve only ever smoked one brisket, everyone liked it, I thought it was ok. But I have no idea if I had a whole brisket, flat or point…I’m lost here. My brother bought part of a beef and this came with it. He said his list said “half brisket” 🤷🏻‍♂️ If I had to guess I’d say it weighed 10-12 lbs raw

Is this the whole brisket?
Yes, it has the two parts of the brisket. Point and the flat.

Specific mention of packer cut here

Monday brisket bump

I used to scoff at people who bought prime brisket - mostly just because the whole idea for me is that its supposed to be a cheap cut of meat that is made into good food through long hours on the smoker. But the last two I've made were prime briskets from Costco and they were fantastic. I used this guy's method - https://www.youtube.com/@ChudsBbq/videos - mostly for trimming and his "foil boat" method (as opposed to a full wrap). He trims a ton off the brisket and then Just uses salt and pepper. The other thing I did that I think made a difference was that I used a very long rest period in a warm oven. The first time I did it was by mistake - I started a brisket on the smoker one afternoon on a whim and forgot I had signed up for a charity pub crawl starting early the next morning. My brisket was done at about 4 or so a.m. and I wrapped it in butcher's paper and put it in the oven at the lowest temp it goes, which I think is about 150. It stayed in there for about 15 hours and was incredible. The point was so rich I could only eat a couple strips.

So the main things I recommend are - get prime if available; do an aggressive trim (I take several pounds of fat off and make tallow); use a foil boat; long rest in a warm oven - 10 hours or more is great.

GL

I used to scoff at people who bought prime brisket - mostly just because the whole idea for me is that its supposed to be a cheap cut of meat that is made into good food through long hours on the smoker. But the last two I've made were prime briskets from Costco and they were fantastic. I used this guy's method - https://www.youtube.com/@ChudsBbq/videos - .

GL
On his channel he heats his sauce pans on what looks like a metal disc but I don't see any wires. How does that thing heat a pan with out a source of power?

I used to scoff at people who bought prime brisket - mostly just because the whole idea for me is that its supposed to be a cheap cut of meat that is made into good food through long hours on the smoker. But the last two I've made were prime briskets from Costco and they were fantastic. I used this guy's method - https://www.youtube.com/@ChudsBbq/videos - .

GL
On his channel he heats his sauce pans on what looks like a metal disc but I don't see any wires. How does that thing heat a pan with out a source of power?

That's a good Q but I can't help on that. I've only watched a few of his vids on a friend's recommendation - specifically on trimming and cooking brisket. He's a classic BBQ youtuber, right down to the black nitrile gloves, the leather apron and the fancy knives. Knows his way around a brisket for sure.

The other day my wife and I agreed that I was going to just smoke a butt and order some fried chicken for our party Saturday

So of course I stopped and picked up a 16 lb CAB brisket today

I’m a little intimidated about the trim, the point end is WAY thicker than the flat. :oldunsure:

I did a pretty terrible job trimming that brisket lol. Pic is 9 hours in

Finally finished the outdoor setup, including the Memphis smoker. Did a pork butt first day...immediately didn't do it right lol. Was at 225 for like 8 hours, and then it was time to eat...didn't give it nearly enough time if I wanna keep it that low. Turned out to be an internal of like 165 and it was delicious...sliced pork LOL. Learning experience!!

I really gotta get some turkey breasts. That's what I want to learn how to cook properly more than anything.

Need some thought partnering. I am smoking around 100-130 bacon wrapped pickles for a buddies third wedding reception this evening. I will have to do them in waves due to the tiny Davy Crockett I have. I have a large platter to serve them on and was thinking of laying parchment paper then paper towel due to the grease and maybe parchment paper over and then some kind of blanket to keep the the moderately warm. Fancy servicing it’s not. Any other ideas so they aren’t a greasy soggy mess (not that this is a bad thing)

GL
He heats it on his grill, I believe. I saw him discuss how he does it in one of his previous videos.

GL
He heats it on his grill, I believe. I saw him discuss how he does it in one of his previous videos.
That makes sense.

But he still puts what must be really hot metal on what looks like a wood cutting board....I would think that would be dangerous or at least harm the board. Here is the spot in this video where he uses the metal to make his sauce.

GL
That makes sense.

But he still puts what must be really hot metal on what looks like a wood cutting board....I would think that would be dangerous or at least harm the board. Here is the spot in this video where he uses the metal to make his sauce.

Yeah he uses it all the time for stuff like this. I dont know how that thing doesnt burn that butcher block. But it doesnt seem to leave much of a mark. He makes some awesome stuff. I am planning to order some of his sausage starter mix as I want to experiment with making my own in the smoker.

GL
That makes sense.

Yeah he uses it all the time for stuff like this. I dont know how that thing doesnt burn that butcher block. But it doesnt seem to leave much of a mark. He makes some awesome stuff. I am planning to order some of his sausage starter mix as I want to experiment with making my own in the smoker.
It's just a regular old trivet. He heats the pan on a burner.

Users who are viewing this thread