What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAD's ROUND 2!! # 1's have been posted!! (2 Viewers)

Pointer Sisters - Neutron Dance
This tidbit amused me:

According to Willis while working on the lyrics with Sembello she looked through a window and saw someone attempting to break into her car: while running outside to scare off the thief Willis called out to Sembello: "Someone stole my brand new Chevrolet", and the line was included in the song.

It's the song in my head every time I find myself hanging off the back of a speeding 18 wheeler

This tidbit amused me:

According to Willis while working on the lyrics with Sembello she looked through a window and saw someone attempting to break into her car: while running outside to scare off the thief Willis called out to Sembello: "Someone stole my brand new Chevrolet", and the line was included in the song.

It's the song in my head every time I find myself hanging off the back of a speeding 18 wheeler
So it's not just me?

I'll post the #1's around Sunday noon.

After I got home today, I just had to go to the new IN N OUT in Meridian, next to Boise. It's the 400th In and Out, and it set a record Tuesday with 9100 hamburgers sold Day 1. Took me 90 minutes to get through today. Just had to have it. LOL. And I got the call that the sale of old home and buying of new home recorded and funded two seconds after I reached the pick up window. So another great day, as I finally get to start the next chapter. LOL.

As far as Round 3, yes for sure. I sense a little music burn out during this round from many of you, so I'd like there to be a break. Also want to make sure if @krista4 does the cover thingy, that this does not over lap with that, so I'll wait for her direction on it. I look forward to it!!

Thanks for the support in Vegas!! Helps a ton!!
I was gonna sit it out if it was straight away.
This whole thing works best when

A) all or most of the listers talk about their artist as we go
B) We have more than a few people listen to and write about the music

This go round we missed several of the people who talked about the music in the first one and its a huge thanks to those who did and posted this time, but we need more.

Not sure if the NFL season had anything to do with it or the time commitment is too much.
Also not sure on solutions as I love this format, but are there ways to get solutions to points a) and b) ?

Maybe less listers? 40-50 artists is a hard listen
Bigger gaps between the songs? - I know we had a break this time and it didnt seem to fix anything
Less songs?
Would structuring the artists in a certain order help?

I know I am struggling to listen to everything when I am caught up in my own writeups, 2 this time lol.
Thanks very much to @Zegras11 and @KarmaPolice in particular, but all who made this a great thread.

Can we improve the format?

Known-to-me favorites from #2:

Purple Rain
Life During Wartime
Deja Vu -- Crosby gets weird with tunings and time signatures on one of the most adventurous songs any of C, S, N or Y ever wrote.
Panic in Detroit
Neutron Dance
Small Town
What You Are
Surrender -- Completely insane lyrics and infectious music. Inexplicably the only Cheap Trick song picked in the US Countdown.
Far from Me
Refugee -- My #1 Petty
To Wild Homes
Crawling King Snake
Sixteenth Century Greensleeves -- Given how the Rainbow list has unfolded, I'm pretty sure I know what #1 is

Tears for Fears
#2 Memories Fade

Appears - The Hurting
Year - 1983
UK Highest Chart Position - Album Track
US Highest Chart Position - Album Track
Key Lyric - The more I talk
The more I say
The less you seem to hear
I'm speechless in a most peculiar way
Your mind is weak
Your need is great
And nothing is too dear
For you to use to take the Pain away
Memories Fade
No don't pretend you can justify the end
Memories fade but the scars still linger

Notes
1- When I first heard this song I was blown away. Any of us who have had less than ideal childhoods and are introspective by nature….this song just hits home. At first I thought it was just me, but this song hits a lot of people hard. The band have lightened up a lot after their awful childhoods and like most of us we dont get the perspective of parenthood until we become one ourselves. Then some understanding happens or as Roland himself put it “Being a parent is ****ing hard”

2- This album cut about the scars from a broken relationship is rooted in primal therapy, created by psychologist Arthur Janov, whose work formed the basis of The Hurting. Janov dealt with childhood trauma and repressed memories, which Tears For Fears' Roland Orzabal was pondering when he wrote the song. He explained in the album's liner notes: "The whole notion of repression in psychology is that although things are shoved to the back of one's mind, they still exert a force on your behavior, creating phobias, depression, insecurities... You're using up energy when you're repressing things, which could be used for far better things, like a forehand volley!"

3- Following the death of Kanye's mother Donda West, his mentor No I.D. was contacted by American rapper Malik Yusef, who told him to spend time with the artist.[1] The producers were credited for writing the song, alongside Roland Orzabal of English pop rock band Tears for Fears, who received credit due to the interpolation of "Memories Fade".[2]
On October 16, 2008, West premiered an excerpt of "Coldest Winter" on Power 106 in Los Angeles.[3] He remembered sitting around and listening to 1980s music, discovering "Memories Fade" from Tears for Fears' 1983 debut album The Hurting and instantly thinking: "That's it. Right here."[4][5] No I.D. also said that he played "the whole section" to West, who proposed to change one word. However, No I.D. admitted to having "had no idea [West would] keep it as is", even though he realized the track was something special upon first listen.[4] According to record producer 40, Canadian musician Drake"became crazily obsessed" with the melody on "Coldest Winter", which encouraged him to pay attention to the band.[6] This ultimately led to Drake sampling fellow The Hurting track "Ideas as Opiates" on his third mixtape So Far Gone, released in 2009.[6] Speaking to the Herald Sun in December 2017, Curt Smith of Tears for Fears saw it as "incredibly cool" and "very interesting" that West utilized work from the album despite him being of a "completely different genre" to the band.

4- Featuring the key Janovian philosophy, “Memories fade but the scars still linger,” this track was liberally ‘sampled’, with largely new lyrics, by Kanye West for Coldest Winter on 808s & Heartbreak. “I was surprised because he didn’t really ask,” says Orzabal. “But when we do it live, we now use the Kanye West intro.” “As a tongue-in-cheek ‘F*** you!’” Smith adds. “We played live in Orange County a couple of years ago, and our nanny – who’s younger and looks after my two kids when we’re working – came backstage and said, ‘That’s fantastic you did that Kanye West song!’”

Where to find
The Hurting - 6
Songs from the Big Chair - 5
The Seeds of Love - 2
Elemental - 1
Raoul and the Kings of Spain - 1
Everybody Loves a Happy Ending - 5
Ready Boy and Girls - 1
The Tipping Point - 4
Greatest Hits only - 1
B- Sides - Other/Non Album Songs - 4

Year
1981 - 2
1982 - 1
1983 - 6
1984 - 1
1985 - 3
1986 - 1
1989 - 2
1993 - 1
1995 - 2
2004 - 5
2014 - 1
2017 - 1
2021 - 1
2022 - 3

Last one is kind of obvious.

Röyksopp
2 - Eple (Instrumental)
If video blocked - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2_NenqJRjM&pp=ygUNUm95a3NvcHAgZXBsZQ==

Year - 2001
Appears on - Melody A.M.
Vocalist - Instrumental
Key Lyric - Instrumental

Notes
1- The song's title comes from the Norwegian word for apple. The song was licensed by Apple and used as the introduction music for the Mac OS X v10.3 Setup Assistant. It was also used on gaming show Gamezville on now-defunct Sky One as background music during the opening of the show. The track is also used as background music on the UK television programme The Kevin Bishop Show, in which a man called Gary in one of its sketches pretends to be a radio announcer, only to the annoyance of his girlfriend.

2- The song is mainly based on a sample from Bob James' song "You're as Right as Rain" in his 1975 album Two. The cover of "Two" depicts a golden hand holding an apple.

3- This is their highest charting single in the UK reaching #16. Again on rerelease. All 4 singles on Melody A.M (So Easy, Eple, Poor Leno and Remind Me) were released at least twice as the band were discovered in different ways.

4- The video has a parental warning or is banned, but not for anything sinister.
Röyksopp started with some amazing videos for Melody A.M. This and Remind Me won awards. This one was in the style of a cartoon (Tintin) going from collage to collage, zooming in and expanding on images. One of the images features a Norwegian family in their living area. Nice as. Nothing sinister. Just that a prepubescent girl doesnt have a shirt on in a photo from the 70s or earlier. Its on screen for about a second and is utterly harmless, except that 0.0000001% of the population are ****ed in the head and might derive some obscure pleasure.

5- When I started this countdown I did expect it to be my number one, it is just amazing and so simple. It got beat out though. Find out why next up.

Running Vocal Count
Röyksopp - 8
Robyn - 5
Susanne Sundfør - 5
Instrumental - 5
Karin Dreijer - 2
Maurissa Rose - 1
Gunhild Ramsay Kovacs - 1
Alison Goldfrapp - 1
Jamie Irrepressible - 1
Karen Harding - 1
Kate Havnevik - 1
Erlend Øye - 1
Sample - 1

Where to find
Melody A.M - 3
The Understanding - 2
Röyksopp’s Night Out - 2
Back to Mine Series - 1
Junior - 3
Senior - 1
Late Night Tales Series - 2
Do It Again EP - 3
The Inevitable End - 2
Profound Mysteries I - 1
Profound Mysteries II - 2
Profound Mysteries III - 5
Other/Non Album Songs - 3

Year
1999 - 1
2001 - 2
2002 - 1
2005 - 2
2006 - 2
2007 - 1
2009 - 3
2010 - 1
2013 - 2
2014 - 4
2016 - 2
2022 - 9

Our final track would have been top 5 for me no matter what, but then I found out more about the song and its brutal. The context is significant and makes an emotional song, even moreso. A true masterpiece.

Beastie Boys #2 - Shake Your Rump
Album - Paul's Boutique (1989)

Peacockin'
Ad-Rock: 1, MCA: 2, Mike D: 3, Beastie Boys: 0, Greater NYC: 2

Name Rockin'
(DJ) Hurricane, Patty Duke, Keith, Sam the Butcher, Alice, Fred Flintstone, Clarence

Rhyme Squawkin'
I'm like Sam the Butcher bringing Alice the meat
Like Fred Flintstone driving around with both feet

Yo Mama Talkin'
So this is my “favorite” compared to my #1 which I think is “best”. If Spotify did one of those year end reviews for my life, I’m pretty sure this would be my most played song. It has my favorite line by the group - Sam the Butcher Bringin’ Alice the Meat was probably my favorite fantasy football team names.

When I bought the Hey Ladies cassingle (cassette single), this was the B-side. I immediately played this more than the main track that I originally bought the cassette for. At the time, my summer job was as a ymca camp counselor. I had this brand new tape with me for a camping trip we took a bunch of middle schoolers to water ski on a semi-local lake. My buddy who was also a counselor and I played this on a constant loop in the van the whole way up (2+ hour drive) since it was the first time we heard it.

Those kids hated us, but this song had it all - the funky beats, the awesome funny rhymes, the massive bong rip. One of my all time favorite songs.

2. You Better Get Right

This is the only song from the album Scene it All (2000).

Between the 20th Anniversary Album and this one, original member and guitarist Dr. John Starling rejoined the band for an album in '94 but returned to medicine right afterward. That album didn't have anything on it for me, though it was typical Seldom Scene fare, including a cover of Woody Guthrie's Philadelphia Lawyer.

At the same time, I was fresh off of my 8-year sojourn through college and at the beginning of a new journey--through graduate school. Armed with only a bachelor's degree in Spanish Language and Literature and a crazy pipe dream of moving to Puerto Rico to be with my fiancé as an English teacher, where I would grade papers while sitting on a beach, I began my studies to become a teacher of English to speakers of other languages. My lifestyle hadn't changed, only the difficulty of my classes; I was still slinging tacos while Jimmy Buffett played in the background, while also working another part-time job at the local public golf course, while all my other friends were getting on with their adult lives.

In 1996, the 'Scene released another album after a couple more lineup changes; Dr. Starling was replaced by Moondi Klein, who coincidentally to Duffey, had a connection with the New York Metropolitan Opera. He and his brother had sung in their children's choir for a time and fell in with the DC bluegrass scene when he moved there after college. He arrived and left between album releases and was replaced by Dudley Connell, another Montgomery County, Maryland native like Duffey. At the same time, dobroist Mike Auldridge and bassist T. Michael Coleman left and were replaced by Fred Travers and Ronnie Simpkins, respectively. FWIW, Travers was inspired to take up the dobro from watching Mike Audrich. Not much can be found on Simpkins, other than he has been in several bluegrass bands local to the DMV.

Another album came out in '96, followed by one final lineup change. John Duffey had a heart attack in his sleep and passed away. Though he could never really be replaced, Connell moved from guitar to mandolin to pick up Duffey's slack, and Lou Reid came back to resume his role as their guitarist.

The lineup on this album has been together ever since, though OG banjoist Ben Eldridge retired from the band in 2016, leaving them to carry on with the name, akin to The Dread Pirate Roberts from The Princess Bride story.

I have no connection to this lineup or song; I only included it as an example of the band post-Duffey. I don't think they're bad, though I do feel they fell back into the pack of 'generic' bluegrass bands.

I can't remember exactly when my father and I learned of Duffey's passing, though I do know it hit me as hard as the passing of any of my 'heroes' musical or otherwise, including John Lennon. I think it's fair to say that the legacy John Duffey left behind is one that not only honored and continued what is/was great about bluegrass, he also expanded its popularity and secured a lasting place for it on the musical landscape. Ironically, the last track on Duffey's last album was Bad Moon Rising. I didn't notice that until I was researching the songs for my list, and it gave me goosebumps and a little lump in my throat.

Last edited:
This tidbit amused me:

I get Hold On by Wilson Phillips. Very calming.

And God dammit, thank you @KarmaPolice for all your great work on the lists. I greatly appreciate how you always had them in on time as that made it super easy to grab those "fix it" URL's on those six lists. Hope you're with me next time...
I am in it for the long haul. I have been enjoying this weird project a lot and how it's been giving me something to do focus my music energy on.

I'll post the #1's around Sunday noon.

After I got home today, I just had to go to the new IN N OUT in Meridian, next to Boise. It's the 400th In and Out, and it set a record Tuesday with 9100 hamburgers sold Day 1. Took me 90 minutes to get through today. Just had to have it. LOL. And I got the call that the sale of old home and buying of new home recorded and funded two seconds after I reached the pick up window. So another great day, as I finally get to start the next chapter. LOL.

As far as Round 3, yes for sure. I sense a little music burn out during this round from many of you, so I'd like there to be a break. Also want to make sure if @krista4 does the cover thingy, that this does not over lap with that, so I'll wait for her direction on it. I look forward to it!!

Thanks for the support in Vegas!! Helps a ton!!
I was gonna sit it out if it was straight away.
This whole thing works best when

A) all or most of the listers talk about their artist as we go
B) We have more than a few people listen to and write about the music

This go round we missed several of the people who talked about the music in the first one and its a huge thanks to those who did and posted this time, but we need more.

Not sure if the NFL season had anything to do with it or the time commitment is too much.
Also not sure on solutions as I love this format, but are there ways to get solutions to points a) and b) ?

Maybe less listers? 40-50 artists is a hard listen
Bigger gaps between the songs? - I know we had a break this time and it didnt seem to fix anything
Less songs?
Would structuring the artists in a certain order help?

I know I am struggling to listen to everything when I am caught up in my own writeups, 2 this time lol.
Thanks very much to @Zegras11 and @KarmaPolice in particular, but all who made this a great thread.

Can we improve the format?
I think just posting stuff like this might help us see a trend or reason.

Me? I am very much still in this and loving the MAD31 project. However, my personal lean at the start of part 1 was to do more artist by artist, and that is what I leaned into more this time around. When I listen to music naturally, it's rarely a random playlist - I will rock an artist for a bit and mainly listen to albums when I do so. My listening habits are more now listening to 3/4 of the new-to-me tunes when the playlist is posted. I am mostly waiting until the artist playlists are posted and will listen to all those and give more thoughts. This part is completely random and I've said it before, but while I'm hearing more new music and interested in more artists this time around, the playlist as a whole didn't stick. Just to name a few: Black Midi, Neko Case, Sufjan Stevens and Seldom Scene. All artists I am very much digging into the playlists for, but I think the playlist had more of those types of artists and stuff outside my usual listening routine. Scanning the list there are 15-20 of those for me so the playlist didn't work even on shuffle. So personally that core of artists work better for me as a dedicated listen when I am in the mood and control of it.

That explains most of my lack of posting, and I think others feel similar - if you aren't fully listening to the playlists or caught up, posting falls off. The other reason I tailed off is I am not ignorant to my getting too worked up, so I was trying not to spazz out and overwhelm the thread with random posts of an artist who wasn't clicking with many anyway. I will do what I did last time - listen to every artist playlist and post more thoughts as I do that. On top of doing other lists and listening, and still listening to most of the playlists as they are posted, I have been going back through and listening again to artists from part 1. I accidently lost my 'best of' playlist I started, so I am going through and putting songs I loved from those playlists in a separate spot for me, and will add songs to that as I go from this one.

Long winded way of saying to the group that I haven't gone anywhere, I dig what this project has introduced me to and am loving all the new music. I just seem to prefer this mode of listening and have sunk into that mode for myself.

As far as Round 3, yes for sure. I sense a little music burn out during this round from many of you, so I'd like there to be a break
I definitely agree with taking at least a month or two off in-between rounds 2 and 3, and if @krista4 is around and wants to jump in with a covers list first, than it will be a few more months away.

Maybe we can pick our artists sometime in mid-January so people that really dive into the artist can start without worry of getting sniped.

#2 Marie (here off Live at the Belly Up, 2017, but see also below)

Crying, she stood in her white Sunday dress
The wide world awaits, I would ride to possess
My own envy and greed
I let lure me away
When I knew in my heart with Marie I should stay

(Music Video) Marie - Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers
(Live Version) Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers "Marie"

This song was originally released on 2011’s Unida Cantina, but I went with a live version instead. More on that in a bit. I also provide some translation, for those that desire it. The chorus thus becomes “My heart belongs/now and forever/in life or death/only to you”.

Why I chose this:
Honestly? Yes, I know RCPM is an independent band with no industry representation or radio play. Yet I still find surprise that this song hasn’t made it onto a soundtrack or TV show set in the Southwest or… something.

What do I love? Everything. #1 was dead set, stone cold locked, and immovable from before I started the list. Yet there are times I have that shadow of doubt that asks if I put this too low. Anyway, as mentioned last time this is another song driven by the narrator and the story he tells. Another life of crime and trying to stay one step ahead of those that pursue him… but not exactly optimistic about his chances. Turning away from an honest love and perhaps an honest life. There's a good deal of passion in both, with the live version(s) cranked up just a bit. Or maybe it's just because the Live version is longer, so there's more of a thing I already enjoy.

But I’ll stop here before I oversell it. If I haven’t already. At #1, a song also from the Live At The Belly Up performance/album, though that also means another version elsewhere. A hint? Eh, sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.

• Song: Carl Perkins’ Cadillac
  • Album: The Dirty South
  • Released: 2004
  • Lead Vocals: Mike Cooley

As stated previously the The Dirty South album was filled with songs that covered the mythology of the South. This song explores the history of Sun Records and specifically Sam Phillips promise to buy a new Cadillac for the first artist (Carl Perkins, Elvis, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis) to earn a gold record. The lyrics are clever and the band rocks.

Life ain't nothing but a blending up of all the ups and downs
Dammit Elvis, don't you know?
You made your Mama so proud
Before you ever made that record, before there ever was a Sun
Before you ever lost that Cadillac that Carl Perkins won

Mr. Phillips found old Johnny Cash and he was high
High before he ever took those pills and he's still too proud to die
Mr. Phillips never said anything behind nobody's back
Like, "Dammit Elvis, don't he know, he ain't no Johnny Cash"

If Mr. Phillips was the only man that Jerry Lee still would call sir
Then I guess Mr. Phillips did all of y'all about as good as you deserve
He did just what he said he was gonna do and the money came in sacks
New contracts and Carl Perkins' Cadillac

I got friends in Nashville, or at least they're folks I know
Nashville is where you go to see if what they said is so
Carl drove his brand new Cadillac to Nashville and he went downtown
This time they promised him a Grammy
He turned his Cadillac around

'Cause Mr. Phillips never blew enough hot air to need a little gold plated paperweight
He promised him a Cadillac and put the wind in Carl's face

Dammit Elvis, I swear son I think it's time you came around
Making money you can't spend ain't what being dead's about
You gave me all but one good reason not to do all the things you did
Now Cadillacs are fiberglass, if you were me you'd call it quits

If Mr. Phillips was the only man that Jerry Lee still would call sir
Then I guess Mr. Phillips did all of y'all about as good as you deserve
In Carl Perkins' Cadillac

This tidbit amused me:

Just watched it again this week. They don't make movies like that anymore. It's such a fantastic opening scene.

Jimmy Buffet-OZ-One Particular Harbor:

Released on Jimmy’s twelfth album of the same name in September 1983. The album also includes his most famous cover, brown eyed girl, distantly in love, stars on the water (also a cover). This album was a sort of comeback as his best album since SoaSoaS.

Ia ora te natura
E mea arofa teie ao nei
Ia ora te natura
E mea arofa teie ao nei

Nature lives (life to nature)
Have pity of the earth (love the earth)
The bounty of the land is exhausted
But there is still abundance in the seas

I know I don't get there often enough
But God knows I surely try
It's a magic kind of medicine
That no doctor could prescribe

But there's this one particular harbour
So far but yet so near
Where I see the days as they fade away
And finally disappear
But now I think about the good times
Down in the caribbean sunshine
In my younger days I was so bad
Laughin' about all the fun we had
I seen enough to feel the world spin
Mixin' different oceans meetin' cousins
Listen to the drummers and the night sounds
Listen to the singers make the world go 'round

I think we all need that home away from home where stress just fades away. Where you can get away for a week (or more!) and recharge. This song always reminds me of our place, Hilton Head and Harbor town in sea pines. When we were engaged 25 years ago, my future in laws took my wife and me with them to HHI for the first time and we’ve been back every year for the last 18, over 20 times total. The last ten years we’ve returned the favor by getting a place large enough for them to join us. They cook meals, so that’s a sweet deal imo.
We haven’t bought a place there yet but we will either buy a place or rent a few months each year in retirement. A good friend of mine bought their place last summer, so we’ll see.

My putting OPH at #2 has more to do with the feelings about our particular harbor, #1 is the top song for a similar reason.

Small Town- John Mellencamp
from Scarecrow Album

The last 2 songs will come from Scarecrow Album. Small Town was another big hit for Mellencamp peaking at #6 in 1985.

Mellencamp about the song: "Small Town" reflected conversations that I heard in the music business. I had a stuttering problem, and my accent, and people would say, "You talk funny." I would think, "You're the one with the New York accent." In interviews people would ask, "Do people in Bloomington even have MTV? Do they have CNN?"

I wanted to write a song that said, "You don't have to live in New York or Los Angeles to live a full life or enjoy your life." I was never one of those guys that grew up and thought, "I need to get out of here." It never dawned on me. I just valued having a family and staying close to friends." Another perk of small-town life "That's where my friends are, my family's there, and I guess I don't make friends real easy, so it's easy for me to stay there,"

Of all Mellencamp's songs, this is the one I most identify with. I like being from my small town, I also never thought I needed to be somewhere else. With the exception of my college years and 6 years after I have lived in the same small midwest town my whole life. 3000 people, a dozen churches, 2 bars and 1 stoplight. I teach and coach at the same high school where a went and was the football captain. My high school sweetheart teaches English across the hall.

My regular golf foursome consists of 3 other guys I went to high school with. My daughters best friend is the daughter of one of my best friends and our moms were best friends in the 70s. Some people might think that as a sad existence, but I've never longed for much more. I'm happy in my "Small Town" and "that's good enough for me."

I also really love the acoustic version of this one. if you've not heard, give a listen here...

Small Town acoustic

As far as Round 3, yes for sure. I sense a little music burn out during this round from many of you, so I'd like there to be a break
I definitely agree with taking at least a month or two off in-between rounds 2 and 3, and if @krista4 is around and wants to jump in with a covers list first, than it will be a few more months away.

Maybe we can pick our artists sometime in mid-January so people that really dive into the artist can start without worry of getting sniped.

Thanks for the tag, and thanks to Zegras as well for it. I'm currently on my fourth out-of-town trip since Dec. 6, but when I arrive back home Sunday I should be blissfully travel-free until mid-February. So I'll try to fire up a post in the next week to get it going. Probably will give people until mid-January or so to get their lists in, though I know Pip and Uruk have already completed theirs. :lol:

Beastie Boys #2 - Shake Your Rump
Album - Paul's Boutique (1989)

Peacockin'
Ad-Rock: 1, MCA: 2, Mike D: 3, Beastie Boys: 0, Greater NYC: 2

Name Rockin'
(DJ) Hurricane, Patty Duke, Keith, Sam the Butcher, Alice, Fred Flintstone, Clarence

Rhyme Squawkin'
I'm like Sam the Butcher bringing Alice the meat
Like Fred Flintstone driving around with both feet

Yo Mama Talkin'
So this is my “favorite” compared to my #1 which I think is “best”. If Spotify did one of those year end reviews for my life, I’m pretty sure this would be my most played song. It has my favorite line by the group - Sam the Butcher Bringin’ Alice the Meat was probably my favorite fantasy football team names.

When I bought the Hey Ladies cassingle (cassette single), this was the B-side. I immediately played this more than the main track that I originally bought the cassette for. At the time, my summer job was as a ymca camp counselor. I had this brand new tape with me for a camping trip we took a bunch of middle schoolers to water ski on a semi-local lake. My buddy who was also a counselor and I played this on a constant loop in the van the whole way up (2+ hour drive) since it was the first time we heard it.

Those kids hated us, but this song had it all - the funky beats, the awesome funny rhymes, the massive bong rip. One of my all time favorite songs.
My #1 Beasties

Still plugging away...
The 5's
Known favs

Kiss
Once in a Lifetime
Octopus Has no Friends
Midlife Crisis
Life On Mars
Fire
Privilege
Faint
Heavy
Running Down a Dream
Stargazer

New favs

Drinking Beer with Dad
Bad Luck
Set the House Ablaze
Sin Nombre
Trying So Hard not to Know
In the Stars Tonight
The Rocker
Backbiters and Syndicaters

This round I liked all three songs alot in the "not in my wheelhouse" triumvirate of the early part of the playlist: Kid Rock; Against Me!; and Mastadon.

Kid Rock is someone who’s personality I can't stand, and while I like his more country sounding tunes (like Amen and Johnny Cash), his rap/rock stuff, just isn't for me.

Against Me! was a band not only did I not know any of their songs, but I never actually even heard of them. I was pleasantly surprised by most of their songs.

Mastadon - I've well established that their "cookie monster" vocals are not for me, and truth be told I'm not a fan of the vocals generally - but I do like the proggy metal songs. They can play.

Last edited:
The 2’s have me feeling good!

Absolute bangers all around. I owe a few lists, so far I’ve just been enjoying listening to most artists. A few I don’t particularly care for but many I would never have given a shot and others I recognized I’ve enjoyed more of their songs than I knew before - especially drive by truckers, Nina Simone, audioslave, kid rock, and Faith No more.

I knew I’d love the Petty, Mellencamp, Rateliff, tears for fears, bestie boys among others.

Thanks for the tag, and thanks to Zegras as well for it. I'm currently on my fourth out-of-town trip since Dec. 6, but when I arrive back home Sunday I should be blissfully travel-free until mid-February. So I'll try to fire up a post in the next week to get it going. Probably will give people until mid-January or so to get their lists in, though I know Pip and Uruk have already completed theirs. :lol:
Mine's still being workshopped!

Faith No More - I knew their big "hits" but have enjoyed diving deeper.

black midi is another band where the name was familiar but not a band I'd sat with and listened to. Really enjoyed most of their songs - their oddity is intriguing to me. They may not ever really crack my listening rotation - but I will give their final playlist a listen for sure.

It's kind of fitting that the two most unique bands ended up back to back (at least when midi did appear)

Small Town- John Mellencamp
from Scarecrow Album

The last 2 songs will come from Scarecrow Album. Small Town was another big hit for Mellencamp peaking at #6 in 1985.

Mellencamp about the song: "Small Town" reflected conversations that I heard in the music business. I had a stuttering problem, and my accent, and people would say, "You talk funny." I would think, "You're the one with the New York accent." In interviews people would ask, "Do people in Bloomington even have MTV? Do they have CNN?"

I wanted to write a song that said, "You don't have to live in New York or Los Angeles to live a full life or enjoy your life." I was never one of those guys that grew up and thought, "I need to get out of here." It never dawned on me. I just valued having a family and staying close to friends." Another perk of small-town life "That's where my friends are, my family's there, and I guess I don't make friends real easy, so it's easy for me to stay there,"

Of all Mellencamp's songs, this is the one I most identify with. I like being from my small town, I also never thought I needed to be somewhere else. With the exception of my college years and 6 years after I have lived in the same small midwest town my whole life. 3000 people, a dozen churches, 2 bars and 1 stoplight. I teach and coach at the same high school where a went and was the football captain. My high school sweetheart teaches English across the hall.

My regular golf foursome consists of 3 other guys I went to high school with. My daughters best friend is the daughter of one of my best friends and our moms were best friends in the 70s. Some people might think that as a sad existence, but I've never longed for much more. I'm happy in my "Small Town" and "that's good enough for me."

I also really love the acoustic version of this one. if you've not heard, give a listen here...

Small Town acoustic
I had always craved that type of stable, familiar dynamic, but within 5-7 years of graduating high school, most of my childhood friends had moved away and I lost touch with them. Fast forward 20 years, and while the neighborhood I moved my family to is little more than a glorified bedroom community for commuters, there is still a decent portion of 2nd and 3rd generation residents living there, and have followed the same path you describe. I was surprised by how many of the parents of my kids' friends either lived in the same house they grew up in or in the same neighborhood at the very least. My son moved back to the area this Summer, as have several of his closest friends. He's dating a girl he knew in high school and one of the possible plans is to become a gym teacher at either his old middle or high school and coach the baseball team, much like the current coach. I don't recall sharing my thoughts about that with him, but he definitely is following a path I used to wish I had followed. It hurts sometimes that I don't have those lifelong friends nearby to hang out with, so I'm glad he does.

Talking Heads
#2 Life During Wartime

If this song doesn't get you moving, you're dead inside.

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
This ain't no fooling around
This ain't no Mudd Club, or CBGB
I ain't got time for that now

31Radio HeadTrue Stories1986
30Creatures of LoveLittle Creatures1985
29Seen and Not SeenRemain in Light1980
28MindFear of Music1979
27Stay HungryMore Songs About Buildings and Food1978
26Stay Up LateLittle Creatures1985
25The Book I Read771977
24Houses in MotionRemain in Light1980
23I ZimbraFear of Music1979
22Artists OnlyMore Songs About Buildings and Food1978
21Wild Wild LifeTrue Stories1986
20SwampSpeaking in Tongues1983
19The Great CurveRemain in Light1980
18Uh-Oh, Love Comes to Town771977
17HeavenFear of Music1979
16And She WasLittle Creatures1985
15The Girl Wants to Be with the GirlsMore Songs About Buildings and Food1978
14Crosseyed and PainlessRemain in Light1980
13Girlfriend Is BetterSpeaking in Tongues1983
12(Nothing But) FlowersNaked1988
11Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)Remain in Light1980
10Take Me to the RiverMore Songs About Buildings and Food1978
9Road to NowhereLittle Creatures1985
8Pulled Up771977
7CitiesFear of Music1979
6The Big CountryMore Songs About Buildings and Food1978
5Once in a LifetimeRemain in Light1980
4Psycho Killer771977
3This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)Speaking in Tongues1983
2Life During WartimeFear of Music1979

Rise Against! was a band not only did I not know any of their songs, but I never actually even heard of them. I was pleasantly surprised by most of their songs.
Ditto (no to sound like Kid Rock or anything ;) )
Only correcting b/c it keeps happening - Against Me! not Rise Against. :wink: In fact, the two bands even feuded over the lyrics to I Was a Teenage Anarchist (with Rise Against joining the "Against Me! are lame sellouts" chorus.

Anyway, glad folks enjoyed their stuff. In 2007, Spin did name Against Me! as band of the year (or maybe it was their New Wave album as record of the year) but they still put a different band on the cover of that issue. More proof that even when the press thought they were pretty good, they knew the band wouldn't be big enough to move copy.

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night SweatsAAABatteriesS.O.B.

The song that started it all for me and probably most of you who are familiar with Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats. I could just as easily put this one #1 as the song is just epic. I'm not the song nerd that many of you are (I say that lovingly) but I can distinctly remember where I was standing when I heard this song the first time. I was folding laundry in my room and after listening to it like 3 times I called my oldest son in to have him listen and to ask if he had ever heard it. I was mesmerized - I still am.

Son of a *****, give me a drink
One more night, this can't be me
Son of a *****, if I can't get clean
I'm gonna drink my life away

And God dammit, thank you @KarmaPolice for all your great work on the lists. I greatly appreciate how you always had them in on time as that made it super easy to grab those "fix it" URL's on those six lists. Hope you're with me next time...

Obviously not done but thank you both - I didn't participate round 1 and I'm not the music junkie and not great with the words that you guys are but I've enjoyed the crap out of this.

I'm looking forward to the individual lists as I'm one that likes to deep dive in to one artist.

Thanks again to you both and I hope folks have enjoyed listening to Nathaniel Rateliffe and the Night Sweats.

Mike ShinodaJust Win BabyThe Messenger

This is the 7th song in my top 31 from the Linkin Park album A Thousand Suns. It is a personal favorite of mine, since it is different from most of LP's catalog. It is an acoustic track featuring just vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, and subtle electronics. The message of the song is to encourage listeners to face life's challenges with courage and give hope to those who are struggling.

Chester said this about the song:

"That song actually came to me almost entirely all at once. The second I heard the chord progression, the melody came and then the words came. It literally dawned on me like a flood, which is very rare. Usually, songs come in pieces, but this song came right away! Thank God, there's technology in my phone that allows me to record ideas whenever they arrive. Initially, I started the song off with a line that's not in there anymore. I began with, 'You are a child with so many choices. The hardest always make us cry.' Right away, I knew I was going to write a letter to my kids, basically. It's telling them you're getting ready to go out into the world, you're going to get kicked around, it's going to be tough and you're going to find yourself in some painful situations, but here's what's important - you're always going to be loved by your family, and that will always get you through. That's going to be the one lifeline that you have which will pull you through all of this chaos around you.

Eventually, what ended up coming out of that is the song you hear on the record. It's such a vulnerable, open and very honest song in that way. We really felt like we wanted to replicate that original recording of the guitar and vocal in the phone as much as possible.

We recorded the vocal, and we didn't put any special sauce on it or anything. We didn't double the vocals, and we didn't try to go for the perfect performance. I just sang it with my heart. Brad [Delson] played guitar. Mike [Shinoda] sat in the other room, and we all played it together. It was presented in the simplest way, and that's what we've got."

I really love the message described in that first paragraph.

Bassist Phoenix said this about the song:

"It's a really stripped down acoustic track. Chester's vocal performance is one of my favorites that he's ever done. His performance is pretty powerful and moving. For the entire album, you get this barrage of sounds and information. It's almost analogous to the technology and the world we live in. You're getting pounded on with what you're hearing and you're not sure of what's going on. The end is just a breath of movement and a step away from that. It's really stripped back and more personal."

I have posted in these forums at times about the fact that my wife has been disabled since 1998 and suffers from severe, chronic pain on a daily basis. One reason I love this song is that this excerpt from the lyrics is very meaningful to me:

When you've suffered enough and your spirit is breaking
You're growing desperate from the fight
Remember you're loved and you always will be
This melody will bring you right back home

❤️

I continue to be impressed with the back to back The Jam and Röyksopp selections. As I said earlier I knew and liked a few songs by the Jam but wasn’t well versed. They kind of remind me of a band I’m leaning towards in Round 3 (Jam came way before them, so in theory they should remind me of the Jam, but…)

Röyksopp is hitting that sweet spot of getting to know more dance/electronic music that I always ignored. Round 1 had a few that set the wheels in motion and got me interested - in the right frame of mind it could be what I turn to. I’m looking forward to their playlist at the end.

I was honored to have my band be “stuck” in between the Beasties and Mr. Buffet each playlist - and I’d get excited to get to those three songs each playlist.

I’m not a huge hip hop guy at all, but for a short period in the late 80s - I was into what the white community was into in the genre. Beastie Boys; Public Enemy; Boogie Down Productions and rode that into some of the early nineties artists as well - but it kind of ended there. Saw the Beastie Boys two nights in a row at the Roseland Ballroom with the (Henry) Rollins Band opening around 92. WOW.

Buffet is the ultimate warm blanket artist. No matter how many times we’ve heard some of those songs it’s still like a hug from grandma when one comes on the radio. For our fantasy football draft each summer, in order to avoid music issues (people turning off songs in the middle because they want to hear something else; people putting on the Star Is Born soundtrack) four or five years ago we started with each person that will attend the draft giving me one artists and I make a playlist with only those 10-14 artists selected - and one extra slot for whichever musician dies closest to draft day). One owner already selected Jimmy for next year’s draft on the day he died. This was a nice tribute here even if it didn’t start out that way.

Last edited:
I’m sure you’re all curious as to who my draft day artists have been:

Wilco
Van Halen
Peter Gabriel
The Smiths
:confused:
Yeah, I’m not upset you didn’t read all my posts carefully because I’ve been on a tear but the secret lies in the Jimmy Buffet discussion I posted.
Oh, then I for sure skipped over it. ;)
Why do you hate being hugged by your grandma?

I’m sure you’re all curious as to who my draft day artists have been:

Wilco
Van Halen
Peter Gabriel
The Smiths
:confused:
Yeah, I’m not upset you didn’t read all my posts carefully because I’ve been on a tear but the secret lies in the Jimmy Buffet discussion I posted.
Oh, then I for sure skipped over it. ;)
Why do you hate being hugged by your grandma?
Not sure, but that might explain a few things about me. :lol:

I presume most of us could have made our list different in hindsight, I know I had to omit a LOT of good songs. In hindsight I wouldn't have taken the gap from 1983 to 1992; Jimmy produced 10 albums in this time. Including Christmas Island, Barometer Soup, Fruitcakes.
Coconut Telegraph wins the award for most listed, if you don't count Boats, Beaches, Bars & Ballads or his many live albums (I firmly believe Jimmy's best albums are his live albums).

I'm not sure how to format this better, so hopefully this works ok.

#....Title...............Album......... Year
16 He went to Paris A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean 1973
20 Come Monday Living and Dying in 3/4 Time 1974
17 The Wino and I know Living and Dying in 3/4 Time 1974
4 A Pirate looks at forty A1A 1974
15 Migration A1A 1974
18 Tin Cup Chalice A1A 1974
10 Kick it in second wind Havana Daydreamin' 1976
5 Changes in lattitudes, changes in attitudes Changes in lattitudes, changes in attitudes 1977
24 Margaritaville Changes in lattitudes, changes in attitudes 1977
6 Son of a son of a Sailor Son of a son of a Sailor 1978
22 Cheeseburger in Paradise Son of a son of a Sailor 1978
9 Survive Volcano 1979
19 Boat Drinks Volcano 1979
1 .......
8 The weather is here Coconut Telegraph 1981
23 Coconut Telegraph Coconut Telegraph 1981
26 Growing Older but not up Coconut Telegraph 1981
2 One Particular Harbor One Particular Harbor 1983
14 Distantly in love One Particular Harbor 1983
30 Brown Eyed Girl One Particular Harbor 1983