What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Justin Jefferson, MIN (2 Viewers)

Cooper Kupp came back in 4 weeks from his hamstring, looked solid at first and has not looked the same since giving the worst stretch of fantasy production in his whole career.

Dulchich returned after 4 weeks from his hamstring, did not make it a half.

Diontae returned after 5 weeks with his hamstring, like Kupp he looked solid initially and again like Kupp has proceeded to give a stretch of bad games you'd have to go back to his rookie season with Mason Rudolph as his QB to equal.

Friermuth sat out 7 weeks with his various hamstring issues.

Jelani Woods has been out all year with a hamstring he had in camp, and then he recently had an injury to the other hamstring and will never see the field this season.

Just looking at this it sure seems like a return to play in 4-5 weeks has not been going so great. Maybe that's simplistic and there are other things at play with these players, but it's not like the Vikings don't have GPS tracking and all kinds of stuff to have baseline tests for JJ to get an understanding of his health status now vs pre-injury. If they feel the need to take more time it's likely based on info they have.
I believe Kupp hurt the hammy like 6 or 7 weeks before playing
True, 4 weeks is not quite accurate, re-injuredd on August 30th, returned to play on October 8th so about 5.5 weeks.

Which considering how he's looked is only more reason to not put JJ back until they feel like he's ready.

Some people in this thread come off like the ones who DM NFL players on social media to cry about their poor fantasy performances (and sometimes do/say worse things).

Did anyone see what happened? Hard tackle?
Sick route by Jefferson who cuts it back over the middle.

Throw was high so Jefferson had to go up and get it which he does. Hard hit by Epps in the back while Jefferson is up in the air and maybe gets under Jeffersons pads because of the jump and angle.

I have seen a lot worse honestly but obviously Jefferson got hurt on the play and did not return.

While the ball was high I didn't think it was a terrible throw. At least in a relative sense, I have seen many throws by Dobbs in his short time playing for the Vikings that have been worse.

Dobbs ball placement and touch are not very good at all. He sets up receivers to take kill shots because of that. This was another one although not the worst I've seen from him. He does throw high a lot.

I wonder if the Vikings regret going after Dobbs. I'm not sure what the infatuation was to begin with, but he just about got your franchise all time great WR killed. I really hope JJ is OK. Off the field to tent to the locker room to the hospital is a scary progression.

The head coach says Jefferson had an internal chest injury and that they sent him to the hospital as a precaution to be evaluated. That Jefferson has returned from the hospital now and that he will travel back with the team. Remains to be seen his availability on a short week before they play next Saturday.

I wonder if the Vikings regret going after Dobbs. I'm not sure what the infatuation was to begin with, but he just about got your franchise all time great WR killed.
I’m sure they do regret it, but they took a shot on a guy that flashed when their sturdy QB was lost for the season. Kind of like a bad fantasy move, it didn’t pay off and yeah it’s regrettable, but at least they took a shot.

Meanwhile I’m thinking Dobbs should really try to patch things up with Will Smith and just leave the NFL behind.

I wonder if the Vikings regret going after Dobbs. I'm not sure what the infatuation was to begin with, but he just about got your franchise all time great WR killed.
I’m sure they do regret it, but they took a shot on a guy that flashed when their sturdy QB was lost for the season. Kind of like a bad fantasy move, it didn’t pay off and yeah it’s regrettable, but at least they took a shot.

Meanwhile I’m thinking Dobbs should really try to patch things up with Will Smith and just leave the NFL behind.
Not sure why they would regret it. He got kept them afloat in the playoff race, even if it was ugly. Well worth the 6th. There are way worse options for backup QBs out there.

Not sure why they would regret it. He got kept them afloat in the playoff race, even if it was ugly. Well worth the 6th. There are way worse options for backup QBs out there.
Because he went 2-2 vs three bad teams and one that just started to turn it around, and was well on his way to losing a 3rd until he almost got Jefferson killed and was benched for Mullens. That’s why.

Because he went 2-2 vs three bad teams and one that just started to turn it around, and was well on his way to losing a 3rd until he almost got Jefferson killed and was benched for Mullens. That’s why.
They would have went 0-4 without him though.

Cam Akers was the back up QB to Hall if they had not traded for Dobbs. Akers got injured too.

The only regret would be that Dobbs played well enough in those 1st two games that Vikings fans were already talking about having Dobbs replace Cousins long term. He had hopes and expectations sky high. He had won over the team and there was no way the coaches could bench him after those 1st two wins. Even though they had likely seen signs of the problems with Dobbs. Seems pretty clear to me from the way they shut Dobbs down in the 2nd half of the Saints game. So really Dobbs only looked fantastic for about 5 quarters vs the Falcons and Saints.

Then a slow and reluctant hook because of that.

They needed the time for Hall to recover from concussion though. That did not happen right away, and also for Mullens to come back from IR. So I don't think they have any regrets big picture wise.

If Dobbs had played like he did in the game vs the Raiders today earlier they would have switched to Mullens or Hall sooner.

I am NOT saying Mullens is good BTW. But at least he had more than 0 net passing yards. With the way the Vikings defense has been playing thats all they need to win some games is to have some passing game. A 1st down or two each drive. My guess is if Mullens is the QB now he is going to throw some interceptions at some point as well. They just need a QB who can make the receivers semi functional. Dobbs was not really getting that bare minimum done.

Fred Taylor like team killing season out of JJ

Tied up a roster spot all year to bust hard.

I wonder if we put him right back up top next years. Guess you kind of have to.

Fred Taylor like team killing season out of JJ

Tied up a roster spot all year to bust hard.

I wonder if we put him right back up top next years. Guess you kind of have to.
lot of people will be still hurting from drafting him high this year - it depends on his QB. If Kirk comes back or they land another established QB Id take in the high 1st rd again with a bit of a hopeful dip - but if they go with a rookie or journeyman i would be out in the 1st

I hear a return in week 16?
You heard this from who?
FBGs daily email.
No offense, but that’s a pure guess
Thus the reason I said "I hear", not that he was coming back in week 16. You asked where did I hear it and I told you. Take it for what you will and don't shoot the messenger.
Contents of the FBG Email -
Jefferson had to be taken to a nearby hospital, meaning that the team's medical doctors were at least concerned about a rib fracture, which can result in pneumothorax (collapsed lung) if not treated properly.

If Jefferson had a rib fracture, he will likely miss at least one game. A rib contusion does not necessarily mean Jefferson avoids time missed. Since 2017, 60% of NFL WRs have missed one game with a rib contusion/injury.

Those who held onto Jefferson through his IR stint might have to wait another week following his most recent injury.

Another source had this to say -
5 hours agoMinnesota Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson (chest) appears to have avoided a serious injury, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport. The All-Pro receiver was sent to the hospital after suffering the injury but returned to the stadium shortly after and traveled home with the team. The Vikings are playing on Saturday against the Cincinnati Bengals, meaning it's a short week for Jefferson to recover. There's a chance that the former first-round pick will miss more game action this season, but we'll get better clarity when the Vikings release their first injury report later this week.--Andrew Ball - RotoBaller

You heard this from who?
FBGs daily email.
Instead of saying you hear a return in week 16 I think it would've been clearer if you said FBG email speculates a week 16 return.

Honestly I read that email and didn't read it the same way you did.
Well, if you read that email you would have seen in big letters at the top of the article regarding Jefferson -

WR Justin Jefferson, Minnesota Vikings | Chest/Rib Injury | Projecting Week 16 Return.​

You heard this from who?
FBGs daily email.
Instead of saying you hear a return in week 16 I think it would've been clearer if you said FBG email speculates a week 16 return.

Well, if you read that email you would have seen in big letters at the top of the article regarding Jefferson -

WR Justin Jefferson, Minnesota Vikings | Chest/Rib Injury | Projecting Week 16 Return.​

Not really sure how that changes anything.

You heard this from who?
FBGs daily email.

Not really sure how that changes anything.
Oh for crying out loud. LOL. Ok Francis.

Justin Jefferson (chest) told reporters he expects to play in Week 15 against the Bengals.

Jefferson exited Week 14 with the chest injury and did not return. He was taken to the hospital for further evaluation but the tests ruled out internal bleeding and broken ribs. He told reporters the injury ended up being nothing more than a bruise and he will be good to go for the Vikings’ Week 15 matchup with the Bengals. Fantasy managers who survived Jefferson’s early exit should run it back with him as a top-five fantasy wide receiver once again.

at this point why bother coming back. he's not risking injury ahead of a potential free agent year or franchise tag next year. I could be wrong but I thought he was ready to walk in '24.
no way he pushes himself in losing efforts , only to get hurt again

at this point why bother coming back. he's not risking injury ahead of a potential free agent year or franchise tag next year. I could be wrong but I thought he was ready to walk in '24.
Vikings are in playoff contention, if he's healthy he should play otherwise is going to look like a big you know what, not to mention think would be a bad look whether he's trying to get a new contract from Minn or another team

Vikings are in playoff contention, if he's healthy he should play otherwise is going to look like a big you know what, not to mention think would be a bad look whether he's trying to get a new contract from Minn or another team
It seems that "bad looks" are increasingly irrelevant in modern sports. Players look out for number one and it rarely hits them in the pocket book.

There are certainly guys in the NFL who have made the most of their situations to not return as quickly as they might have otherwise. Jefferson does not seem to be that kind of guy to me though. He legitimately(and for sound reasons) feels like he is the best WR in the NFL. He wants to show people that every week that he is physically able.

I can't recall a player who had another year left on his contract that people treated or spoke about like he was approaching UFA and needed to take care of himself like Jefferson. So as the bolded I can see why you might get confused, but he's under contract next season.

If players in the league start shutting it down early because they approaching FA the year after their next season we won't have much of a league, especially if players on teams in the playoff hunt started doing this.

I can't recall a player who had another year left on his contract that people treated or spoke about like he was approaching UFA and needed to take care of himself like Jefferson. So as the bolded I can see why you might get confused, but he's under contract next season.

If players in the league start shutting it down early because they approaching FA the year after their next season we won't have much of a league, especially if players on teams in the playoff hunt started doing this.
The Vikings typically do sign their key players to new contracts a year before they become free agents, especially star players still on their rookie contract. So maybe that is part of the confusion here. The Vikings were trying to work out a new contract for Jefferson this offseason that fell through, so that lines up. They were actually trying to get this done 2 seasons in advance, which shows how much they value him and Jefferson being happy.

This stuff about JJ shutting it down and not wanting to play is a bunch of nonsense that resonated with some people when Sheftler and the other talking heads were putting it out there for clicks. It's the complete opposite of everything Jefferson has said about it.

The Vikings typically do sign their key players to new contracts a year before they become free agents, especially star players still on their rookie contract. So maybe that is part of the confusion here. The Vikings were trying to work out a new contract for Jefferson this offseason that fell through, so that lines up. They were actually trying to get this done 2 seasons in advance, which shows how much they value him and Jefferson being happy.
Thanks, I was aware of their desire to get a contract done with him this last off-season but to me does not change the calculus that he's under contract already for next year. Guaranteed. So the premise he needed to protect himself from further injury just never made any sense to me. The Vikings will of course do everything they can to extend him this off-season, but that's still a far cry from him entering FA as many think.

I'd also add that fans in general just tend to over-rate injury impact on extensions. I remember when people on these boards were saying how much money Dak cost himself when he broke his ankle. He got at the time the highest paid contract for a QB. Same thing when Earl Watson was getting carted off and gave the bird to Carroll and a bunch of people were saying he was so emotional because he was approaching FA and now his injury killed his market. Then the Ravens threw the bag at him.

Thanks, I was aware of their desire to get a contract done with him this last off-season but to me does not change the calculus that he's under contract already for next year. Guaranteed. So the premise he needed to protect himself from further injury just never made any sense to me. The Vikings will of course do everything they can to extend him this off-season, but that's still a far cry from him entering FA as many think.

I'd also add that fans in general just tend to over-rate injury impact on extensions. I remember when people on these boards were saying how much money Dak cost himself when he broke his ankle. He got at the time the highest paid contract for a QB. Same thing when Earl Watson was getting carted off and gave the bird to Carroll and a bunch of people were saying he was so emotional because he was approaching FA and now his injury killed his market. Then the Ravens threw the bag at him.
Yeah.

If the Vikings sign Jj to a new contract this offseason it will be pretty much the same thing they have done with Harrison Smith and other 1st round picks they have really wanted to keep at all costs before.

They just happened to be trying to work out a deal with him a year ahead of their usual schedule when they picked up the 5th year option with JJ because he has performed so well for them.

They try to do it a year before free agency actually hits so there is no complications of the player signing the 5th year option or speculation about franchise tag options which are certainly still on the table as well for 2025 if they don't work out a long term deal.

Nobody wants that though so they just try to get it done in advance. For them and the player.

The Vikings have done deals early with players that ended up being cost saving moves relative to player performance and what comparable players were getting from the market. For example when the Vikings signed Adam Thielen to a team friendly extension that he outperformed. But they gave Thielen a raise after this. No bad blood, it was only team friendly for a year IIRC.

The contracts always go up based on what the most recent big deal is for a player at their position. So the Vikings trying to get them done early is in the teams best interest as far as that goes.

Users who are viewing this thread