What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Justin Jefferson, MIN (1 Viewer)

No team with the #1 pick overall, with a potential "world class" QB in the mix, is going to part with that pick, straight up for Jefferson.

Give your heads a shake, people. It's the #1 pick for a "projected" Franchise QB.

This from someone who doesn't particularly believe in Caleb, LOVES jefferson, and hates the idea of a player never playing a single being snap being worth as much as they are.

That #1 pick is more valuable than Jefferson (for the NFL). It just is.

How about this? Vikings give pick 11. 1st round pick in 2025. 2nd round pick in 2025. 3rd round pick in 2025. Jordan Addison for Bears 1st overall pick.

Or Jefferson. Which one do the Bears prefer?

How about this? Vikings give pick 11. 1st round pick in 2025. 2nd round pick in 2025. 3rd round pick in 2025. Jordan Addison for Bears 1st overall pick.

Both seems like a bad move and and an overpay. What if you do that and Williams is a bust? I suppose I have too many thoughts of Bryce Young, Trey Lance, Zach Wilson, Sam Darnold, Mitch Trubisky on my mind. I don’t think Williams is in the same tier as someone like Andrew Luck was and the jury is still out on Lawrence.

So the equivalent of 3 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd? I guess that's one way to ruin a franchise. Also a completely unnecessary way. The target should be the 2nd/3rd QB off the board.

ETA: Back to Jefferson, the whole point of considering a trade of Jefferson should be to do it in a way that gets best value for him. People should forget about #1. First, Jefferson alone is a pipe dream (whether it should or shouldn't be... other teams will pay more for #1). Packaging him for an ultra premium/inflated #1 pick (my opinion), with another premium on top of that to do it with a divisional rival, adds too many negatives into the calculous. JMHO.

Last edited:

I'd rather have Jefferson, but I think he's the best non-QB in the NFL, and I think Addison is a solid prospect who I don't really see as a #1 WR. I think the difference between Jefferson and Addison is at least a 1st.

But from the Vikings end, I don't see either idea being good.

That #1 pick is more valuable than Jefferson (for the NFL).
Or Jefferson
Because of the financial difference I would agree with Soulfly. JJ should run you an estimated $28-30M over the next 3-4 years and then go up from that while Caleb would run you around $12M a year over the next 5 years. This would not be close to something I would see the Bears doing.

Vikings give pick 11. 1st round pick in 2025. 2nd round pick in 2025. 3rd round pick in 2025. Jordan Addison for Bears 1st overall pick.
If I was the Bears I would take this and draft McCarthy at 9. I'm big on him in general and think he's perfect for Chicago. If I'm the Vikings it's intriguing, but if I put on my GM hat I'd view paying something equal to three firsts plus a second and third for a player on top of dropping close to $30M for a WR while the team has a ton of other needs as not a good way to build the roster and would pass.

The price here is based on what the Panthers paid for pick one last year.

The hypothetical of Jefferson is to ask what people think Jeffersons value would be, more or less than this package. I think Jefferson is worth more.

While I agree both prices are too much to pay for the 1st overall pick. The price the Panthers paid for the pick is what this is based on.

So the equivalent of 3 1sts a 2nd and a 3rd? I guess that's one way to ruin a franchise. Also a completely unnecessary way. The target should be the 2nd/3rd QB off the board.

ETA: Back to Jefferson, the whole point of considering a trade of Jefferson should be to do it in a way that gets best value for him. People should forget about #1. First, Jefferson alone is a pipe dream (whether it should or shouldn't be... other teams will pay more for #1). Packaging him for an ultra premium/inflated #1 pick (my opinion), with another premium on top of that to do it with a divisional rival, adds too many negatives into the calculous. JMHO.
That's fine you think it's too much to give for the pick, but based on the trade last year that is what they got for the pick. 2 firsts 2 seconds and DJ Moore.

The Vikings only have 1 second round pick to give thus a 3rd instead. Their pick at 11 lower than Panthers pick 9 last year. In a lot of ways this offer falls a bit short of what the Panthers paid. Maybe Addison being so young evens that out?

Anyhow its close.

If you don't like the Vikings paying this price, think it's a franchise ruining move then you don't want the Vikings to trade up for a potential franchise QB.

That is near what it will cost.

Then in my opinion Jefferson is worth more than that package. Or I would rather part with the package than Jefferson.

As I said I think he is worth about 3 first round picks.

Neither deal needs be done but then the Vikings won't get a top 3 QB.

Last edited:

That's fine you think it's too much to give for the pick, but based on the trade last year that is what they got for the pick. 2 firsts 2 seconds and DJ Moore.

The Vikings only have 1 second round pick to give thus a 3rd instead. Their pick at 11 IA lower than Panthers pick 9 last year. In a lot of ways this offer falls a bit short of what the Panthers paid. Maybe Addison being so young evens that out?

Anyhow its close.

If you don't like the Vikings paying this price, think it's a franchise ruining move then you don't want the Vikings to trade up for a potential franchise QB.

Then in my opinion Jefferson is worth more than that package. Or I would rather part with the package than Jefferson.

They may not get a top 3 QB anyway. At least they know what they have in Jefferson.

The Vikings only have 1 second round pick to give thus a 3rd instead. Their pick at 11 IA lower than Panthers pick 9 last year. In a lot of ways this offer falls a bit short of what the Panthers paid. Maybe Addison being so young evens that out?

Anyhow its close.

They may not get a top 3 QB anyway. At least they know what they have in Jefferson.
If I am starting a rookie QB with the Vikings I want that QB to have Jefferson to work with more than Addison, who is a good player but not elite like Jefferson.

From the sound of the responses the Vikings should not trade up for a QB.

I like Jayden Daniels enough that I would consider it. Not as interested in Williams or Maye at this price.

I think the gap in talent level for the 2nd tier of QBs is large as I'm not sure the other QBs will be great starters. More journeyman level prospects. Maybe I am wrong about that.

If I think it is foolhardy to go for broke targeting the most expensive pick in the draft, that means I don't think the Vikes should trade up at all for a top 3 QB? Very odd take given the prior exchange we had.

If I think it is foolhardy to go for broke targeting the most expensive pick in the draft, that means I don't think the Vikes should trade up at all for a top 3 QB? Very odd take given the prior exchange we had.
Well what is the price then?

This was the price last year.

Do these QBs fall out of the top 3 picks with other teams willing to move up?

I am guessing not. There should be some high picks at WR. Not sure if any of these 3 QB could get to pick 5.

Well what is the price then?

This was the price last year.

Do these QBs fall out of the top 3 picks with other teams willing to move up?

I am guessing not. There should be some high picks at WR. Not sure if any of these 3 QB could get to pick 5.
Respectfully disagree that trading to #1 is the only way to get one of 3 rookie QBs. Could be true, but not a certainty at all. JMHO the logical Jefferson trade would be to Arizona at 4, if MHJ goes top 3 and Arizona is suddenly looking to get out of 4 and still walk away with a blue chip WR. The Vikes have a chip no other team has in that regard. MHJ could go top 3 in many circumstances; for example, if teams who do not need QB jockey to get in front of Arizona to pick the generational WR in this draft, or if Chicago fleeces Commanders to drop from #1 to #2 and keep Fields. I think the Vikes only get proper value for Jefferson in specific circumstances. Again, JMHO.

Well I was just reading a Viking Age article talking about 6 potential trades of Justin Jefferson.

First trade was with the Patriots. The Vikings give Jefferson and pick 11 to move up to pick 3 overall.

Thats kind treating Jefferson like a throw in rather than a star.

The other 5 trades suggested were worse than this.

It's like people just want to give Jefferson away for not very much.

I don't get this at all. I would prefer to keep Jefferson over all those prices easily.

The Vikings give Jefferson and pick 11 to move up to pick 3 overall.

The price for moving from 11 to 3 is A LOT. That doesn't at all mean he's a throw in, it means he's at least worth an additional 1st and 2nd round pick, imo... Plus someone taking on his massive salary.

to be clear, id rather jefferson than anyone in this draft, regardless of position... but im looking at it thru a draft scope

Well I was just reading a Viking Age article talking about 6 potential trades of Justin Jefferson.

First trade was with the Patriots. The Vikings give Jefferson and pick 11 to move up to pick 3 overall.

I don't get this at all. I would prefer to keep Jefferson over all those prices easily.
Absolutely not. That's moronic.

Well you think the Vikings should move Jefferson.

What is the price the Vikings should get for him?

I am sad to say that may have been the best of the trades they suggested.

I was reading Matthew Coller earlier and he expects contract for Jefferson to be 4 years 130 million but structured in such a way that it's never more than 10% of the total salary cap and so very managable.

I said it before, something like Arizona's 3
4, 27, and Baker. Or something akin to the Khalil Mack trade.

Suggesting that you'd need to add anything to Jefferson to get the #3 is just dumb. Really dumb.

So, at a minimum it's two firsts. But one of those needs to be high.

Suggesting that you'd need to add anything to Jefferson to get the #3 is just dumb. Really dumb.

That actually seems a tad high to me relative to the two most recent big time WR trades.

Davante Adams got back 22 and 53, which on the Rich Hill trade value chart I like to use slots in right on par with pick 11. Results will vary if you choose to use another chart, not wanting to get to into the weeds on that, I just use this one because some people I trust say it's the best one going and for purpose of my discussion it's what I'm going with.

So you might say Davante was old(er) so he should get less and I'd agree.

But.....

Tyreek went for 29,55 and a future 4th and a 4th and 6th two years out. The value of that 29 and 55 works out to about pick 15th. The old Parcells chart would assign a future pick a round less which in theory by his old chart would make those picks valued as a 5th, 6th and end of 7th. I'll just call it a third for arguments sake and that would push the total value of Hill comp right in same range as Adams.

Tyreek was two years old then JJ is right now when he was traded but something that makes them closer in value IMO was that Tyreek had a year left on his contract so even though Miami extended him for 4/120 the reality is they can have him for 4/96 and walk away. JJ figures to run you right around $5m more a year, ballparking.

Just looking at these trades I just think JJ's value is probably around pick 8-10.

That actually seems a tad high to me relative to the two most recent big time WR trades.

Davante Adams got back 22 and 53, which on the Rich Hill trade value chart I like to use slots in right on par with pick 11. Results will vary if you choose to use another chart, not wanting to get to into the weeds on that, I just use this one because some people I trust say it's the best one going and for purpose of my discussion it's what I'm going with.

But.....

Tyreek went for 29,55 and a future 4th and a 4th and 6th two years out. The value of that 29 and 55 works out to about pick 15th. The old Parcells chart would assign a future pick a round less which in theory by his old chart would make those picks valued as a 5th, 6th and end of 7th. I'll just call it a third for arguments sake and that would push the total value of Hill comp right in same range as Adams.

Tyreek was two years old then JJ is right now when he was traded but something that makes them closer in value IMO was that Tyreek had a year left on his contract so even though Miami extended him for 4/120 the reality is they can have him for 4/96 and walk away. JJ figures to run you right around $5m more a year, ballparking.

Just looking at these trades I just think JJ's value is probably around pick 8-10.
Huh. Good analysis.

But.....

Huh. Good analysis.
Very good breakdown...given that return, I would be in favor of the Vikings keeping him and paying him...no "guarantees" at those level of picks.

But.....

Huh. Good analysis.
Very good breakdown...given that return, I would be in favor of the Vikings keeping him and paying him...no "guarantees" at those level of picks.
Yeah pick 8 value is not enough to want to move Jefferson IMHO.

I would want something more like Andy suggested or more to consider trading him.

I agree with Menos cross referencing though that this seems to be about where NFL teams may value Jefferson.

As far as contract goes Jefferson will have about half of the deal garunteed.

Rumors are the salary cap will be close to $250 million.

So I guess giving him the contract he's due really isn't a problem. :shrug:
It isn't. Although he will make history his contract shouldn't be more than 10% of total cap.

Cousins has cost as much as 17% of total cap.

I do think signing both of them would be a problem. They need to let Cousins go.

Maybe they could keep Hunter then. I don't know.

It isn't. Although he will make history his contract shouldn't be more than 10% of total cap.

I do think signing both of them would be a problem. They need to let Cousins go.

How do you convince JJ to stay with no QB?

Money

Money
I knew there was a reason I was overlooking, thanks.

Jefferson has stated its important to him who his QB will be.

But he has also said he is open to it not being Cousins.

Who the QB will TBD.

From a salary cap perspective it would be difficult for the Viikings to manage with Jefferson and Cousins on big garunteed contracts. It's possible still but would be easier without Cousins contact.

Money
Always folks. Free agents are not picking teams because it's where their God led them or how good the roster looks. It's always about money and the ancillary things only are factored in the money is relatively close.

Money
Always folks. Free agents are not picking teams because it's where their God led them or how good the roster looks. It's always about money and the ancillary things only are factored in the money is relatively close.
I get it to an extent, however I do not see him going to a terrible situation even if it is the most money offered. No matter where he goes he will be the highest paid WR in the game. He does strike me as someone who takes a lot of pride in being the best and I doubt he would go to Carolina for example for a few more million. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, MIN has some big decisions to make.

My Browns will trade Watson for Jefferson, in case you guys are interested.
Sorry sorry, just thought some people needed a laugh

The value of Jefferson and the #3 pick clearly differ and are open to interpretation. For example, I saw a mock draft today (by a Vikings related site) that had NE trading the #3 pick, their 4th rounder, and their 2025 first rounder for Jefferson. Note that the Vikings first rounder was not included in that. The model here was the Jalen Ramsey trade.

I’ve also seen mocks on a NE related site that used the 49ers trade up for Lance as the template, and they had NE giving up the #3 for Minnesota’s #11, their 2025 first, AND Jefferson.

Bottom line, the bandwidth for potential trades is pretty broad.

The value of Jefferson and the #3 pick clearly differ and are open to interpretation. For example, I saw a mock draft today (by a Vikings related site) that had NE trading the #3 pick, their 4th rounder, and their 2025 first rounder for Jefferson. Note that the Vikings first rounder was not included in that. The model here was the Jalen Ramsey trade.

I’ve also seen mocks on a NE related site that used the 49ers trade up for Lance as the template, and they had NE giving up the #3 for Minnesota’s #11, their 2025 first, AND Jefferson.

Bottom line, the bandwidth for potential trades is pretty broad.
Mocks

$255 and agree it’s not so silly anymore and in fact if he gets “only” a legit $30m a year he’ll come in at a lower cap percentage then Tyreek/Adams got if you take out the funny money at the end. And he’s a lot younger then those two were when they signed.

Also, any new deal, he's going to have reasonable numbers for 3 years probably.

He's a bigger problem if you franchise him.

Trading the best WR in a passing league because maybe being too expensive in a few years? No.

Now, if CHI loves Fields, and JJ and their 1st gets close, I am in. But Chicago ain't doing that.

Vikings GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said the idea of trading contract-year WR Justin Jefferson is “not something that has once crossed my mind.”

“You’ve got a blue (chip) player, blue (chip) person,” Adofo-Mensah said. “You try and keep as many of those as you can.” It’s unsurprising rhetoric even though the sides have been at extension loggerheads for a year now. Adofo-Mensah’s denial probably won’t completely quash Jefferson trade rumors, especially if he remains unsigned beyond 2024 when the draft rolls around. But the most likely outcome for an elite player like Jefferson is staying put at a premium with the team that drafted him.

𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭: The #Vikings are expected to sign WR Justin Jefferson to a deal that will pay him more than $30 million per year, per @DanGrazianoESPN

That's crazy. Not saying he's not worth it... but how many teams have won a SB with Wide Receiver as one of their highest paid positions?

He'll get a ton of yards because the Vikings won't have any money left to field a defense, lol! Sounds moronic, but I'd rather trade him for 3 firsts. But hey, I'm a Chicago fan, so whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread