What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MAD's ROUND 2!! # 1's have been posted!! (3 Viewers)

I am only going to tease one Incubus song. Only reason I'm even doing one is because I recall several commenting when I unveiled my artist that they weren't familiar with them. I suspect most of those that wrote it will remember this by the time they get to the chorus. Probably sooner. It just didn't make my 31 because I ****ing hate this song.

I'm a big fan. Surprised you hate that song, I like it (along with virtually all of their catalog I'm familiar with).

I have not heard that much Incubus but from what I have heard, I liked the non-radio songs a lot more. Some bands are just like that.

I am only going to tease one Incubus song. Only reason I'm even doing one is because I recall several commenting when I unveiled my artist that they weren't familiar with them. I suspect most of those that wrote it will remember this by the time they get to the chorus. Probably sooner. It just didn't make my 31 because I ****ing hate this song.

I'm a big fan. Surprised you hate that song, I like it (along with virtually all of their catalog I'm familiar with).
I think there are similarities between Wish You Were Here and Green Day's Good Riddance - my MAD contribution last time. Not the songs so much as the sudden change in music style. It isn't exactly the same as Incubus released Drive before it, but in each instance that was their intentional left turn to radio friendly top 40. I don't say that as an indictment, but rather as an explanation why they were misses with me. Snot nosed 18 year old MAC slam dancing to jazz scat funk metal wasn't the target audience of that track though.

In Incubus' case, they've never fit inside of one particular box and I think that's one big reason why they aged well from an era in which most did not. They never tried to be anything other than themselves; it's just themselves changed as the years went by. I think the softer side that emerged in the aughts made some great music, but as @Scoresman got at I also trended more towards the non-radio tracks. There will be plenty of familiar sounds as we go, but there are some more popular cuts too. Hope y'all enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Since everyone is doing preview content of things that didn't quite make the cut, I figured I'd follow suit. Particularly, I want to talk about one of those Prince "sub-genres" that I intended to highlight but ended up not having space for. That sub-genre is "Songs that Strippers Dance To."

Our first example of the form was actually featured in Showgirls as the song Elizabeth Berkley dances to when she's still working at the Cheetah. It's off The Gold Experience, an album that is pretty darn good but which I only took one song from. Anyway, here's 319

I believe a saw a performance to this next song while hanging with @scorchy at the Millstone Inn one night. It was recorded new for The Hits 2 of The Hits/B-Sides compilation. Apparently the moan that begins the song is voiced by Kim Basinger. Please enjoy Peach

Our next song is off the Rave N 2 the Joy Fantastic album. I did not select any songs from this album, though Prettyman is a pretty good James Brown homage. I have not actually seen this song performed for erotic entertainment and you might think that the fact that Sheryl Crowe is credited on the song would preclude it, but I think you'll agree that it has that kind of hard, dirty guitar drive that identifies a Prince strip club special. Ladies and gentlemen, I present Baby Knows
Amazing songs and the bolded had me laughing. The guitar in Peach is filthy. Looking forward to more from Prince.

Here is a Mike Shinoda preview. Warning: NSFW language.

I ranked my top 50 songs, here is 41-50 to help those of you unfamiliar with him to get some exposure:

Song: Dedicated
Artist: Linkin Park
Album: LP Underground 2.0
Released: 2002
Genre: nu-metal / rap rock / alternative rock

There isn't a lot of info on this song available, since it was originally recorded as a demo in 1999 and released on a fan club LP in 2002. It is one of the earliest songs I have by LP and IMO immediately demonstrated how talented they are and foreshadowed how successful they would become in this "nu-metal" genre. I didn't have this early in my discovery of LP, but it would have led me to seeking out more of their music.

Song: Heavy
Artist: Linkin Park featuring Kiiara
Album: One More Light
Released: 2017
Genre: pop / electropop / alternative pop / pop rock / R&B

Critics were very negative about this song and the One More Light album, since it was a pivot for Linkin Park to a pop-oriented sound. A lot of fans reacted the same way, and I have to admit it took me a while to warm up to it, but it highlights how diverse LP is/was.

Mike Shinoda on this song:

Mike Shinoda explained that the song is a core part of the album and described the message of the song with the proverb "when it rains it pours", talking about how "Heavy" is about the culmination of a singular, dramatic event and several smaller, less important problems. He later described a day that Chester had come in to the studio and exclaimed that he felt overwhelmed by a myriad of problems. Mike felt that the key to the song was the line "If I just let go I'd be set free", as that lyric contains the idea of personal responsibility, which solidified the song's message and theme.

Song: High Road
Artist: Fort Minor featuring John Legend
Album: The Rising Tied
Released: 2005
Genre: alternative hip hop / rap rock

Fort Minor is a side project for Shinoda. He played every instrument on the album and invited a number of guests to join him in performing the songs. In this one, John Legend sings the chorus and Shinoda sings the other vocals.

"‘High Road’ is one of those songs, that I… it just makes me happy. Like it just sounds like a good time to me, sounds like a party. I love playing it live. When we play… when Fort Minor plays shows live, we play… I put together a band of three string players, three backup singers, drummer and a DJ, and it’s me, and Styles Of Beyond on the mic, it’s just a… it’s just a good time and this is one of those songs that I love to play."

Song: Shadow Of The Day
Album: Minutes To Midnight
Released: 2007
Genre: alternative rock / electronic rock

The band on this song:

"The keyboard loop in “Shadow Of The Day” went through many different changes during the song’s creation. For months, the song’s place on the album remained undecided; the band agreed that it wouldn’t make the album unless the right introductory sound was discovered. Dozens of options were created on piano, acoustic guitar, marimba, xylophone, and even electric banjo before finally writing the reversed/edited keyboard version that appears here."

Chester Bennington on this song:

"There are some pretty serious musicians in Linkin Park. There are moments during a Linkin Park session where I'll say, Hey, can we change this part? On Shadow of the Day, there is a guitar part that's at the end of the song. I walked into the studio, and Brad had been there two days straight. I said, How you're doing? He said, I can't do this. I can't break the code on this one. I said, Play it for me. I want to hear what you're working on. He played it and I go, I've got an idea. I go in the other room, played the part on the piano, and I go, Play this. He played it, and that's what we kept. That's what we do. That's what being in a band is about. Brad said, Ah! Why couldn't have you been here two days ago?"

Song: Guilty All The Same
Artist: Linkin Park featuring Rakim
Album: The Hunting Party
Released: 2014
Genre: heavy metal / hard rock / rap metal

Critics generally liked this song, viewing the heaviness of this song and album as a return to older LP.

About the rap in the song:

While writing the song, Shinoda knew he wanted a rap verse in the song, but felt it would be too predictable for him to do it. He jokingly asked if they could get Rakim, one of Shinoda's idols, in to do the verse, and the engineer told Shinoda that he could get in contact with Rakim. Within a week, Shinoda was on the phone with Rakim, and got him to do the verse during the bridge. Rakim drove out to LA, and was working on and perfecting his verse the entire time. He was still working on it in the studio before he went in to record it. Shinoda went on to cite the verse as an example of why Rakim is one of his favorite rappers, and that it is the "perfect mix of technicality, content, and emotional expression".

Song: I'll Be Gone (Schoolboy remix)
Album: Recharged
Released: 2013
Genre: electronic dance music (EDM) / hip hop

The original version of this song is from the LP album Living Things, and its genre was characterized as electronic rock / alternative rock. This remix by Schoolboy is EDM / hip hop. For the original version of this song, Brad Delson said this:

"A long time ago, we wanted to work with some young artists who have a similar style with electronics and with rock bands. Then Rick Rubin came to the studio and said to us, "Guys, listen to this guy named Owen, I work with Arcade Fire." We called Owen, he came to the studio, and the result was "I'll Be Gone", maybe one of the best songs on the album."

Song: Make It Up As I Go
Artist: Mike Shinoda featuring K. Flay (i.e., Kristine Flaherty)
Album: Post Traumatic
Released: 2018
Genre: hip hop / electropop

K. Flay said this about the song:

"We were talking about how it's comforting to think that anybody knows what they’re doing but we're all inventing life moment by moment. That's a headspace I'm in frequently, and I think it was definitely connecting with Mike's headspace, too."

Song: Don't Stay
Album: Meteora
Released: 2003
Genre: nu metal / rap metal / alternative metal / rap rock / alternative rock

Chester Bennington said this about the song:

"We don't talk about situations, we talk about the emotions behind the situations," he said. "Mike and I are two different people, so we can't sing about the same things, but we both know about frustration and anger and loneliness and love and happiness, and we can relate on that level."

Song: Remember The Name
Artist: Fort Minor featuring Styles of Beyond
Album: The Rising Tied
Released: 2005
Genre: alternative hip hop

"That snare [sound] is like 12 tracks of sticks and clapping and snapping and tambourine [combined into one]. It probably took me a half hour just to make it. I'm lucky because I'm able to play a lot of different instruments. In the case of somebody like Kanye, he works a lot with samples. I could've gone that route too, but I figure if there's something you can do that is, like, your gift, just focus on [that]. Besides the fact that samples can be expensive!"

Song: Bleed It Out
Album: Minutes To Midnight
Released: 2007
Genre: rap rock

Mike Shinoda quote:

"The guitar sounds like AC/DC, the beat sounds like Motown, and there's a Stones-like groove to it. But it's got rapping and Clash-style vocals. It's so different it may take people a beat to go 'I can't believe it's the same band. But hopefully their next thought will be 'F*ckin' Cool'."

Chester Bennington quote:

"rides the line of what you might expect from us. It’s got rapping on it and a real big chorus, but it’s also got these great Motown drums and a real party vibe to it. So it’s something different too. It’s fun."

So, these 10 songs cover this broad spectrum of genres:
  • nu-metal
  • heavy metal
  • rap metal
  • alternative metal
  • rap rock
  • hard rock
  • alternative rock
  • electronic rock
  • alternative pop
  • pop rock
  • pop
  • electropop
  • R&B
  • hip hop
  • alternative hip hop
  • electronic dance music
That's a lot. It will narrow down a bit in my top 31 countdown, but this is a broad exposure to Mike's music. Hope you like something in this list!
Pleasantly surprised at the mix of music on this list. I don't mind the music of Linkin Park, but I don't seem to love Chester's vocals as much as the masses and critics. That nu-metal scream gets to me after awhile. There were some great surprises here though - notably for me was High Road. Good preview - you piqued my interest.

Here's your Sunday Sia preview.

Sia has done a few covers over her career and I have included a few in my 31. This is one of my favorites and I feel like the original one of the best songs to come out of the 80s. , but since this cover is not on Spotify, I did not include it. So here it is. Sia's cover of Time After Time (with Chilly Gonzales)

This was done for a French TV program in 2009. This is pretty much the end of the indie phase of her career, right before her hiatus/retirement and subsequent return as a pop star.

I got heavy vibes of Janice from The Electric Mayhem here.

“Peach” is one of my favorite Prince songs.

This whole deal is shaping up to be eclectic and amazing, and I’m super glad we got RHE to sign up for the Artist, which should serve as an anchor for this glorious mess.

Tanya preview coming soon

I ranked my top 50 songs, here is 41-50 to help those of you unfamiliar with him to get some exposure:
Pleasantly surprised at the mix of music on this list. I don't mind the music of Linkin Park, but I don't seem to love Chester's vocals as much as the masses and critics. That nu-metal scream gets to me after awhile. There were some great surprises here though - notably for me was High Road. Good preview - you piqued my interest.

Cool, that's what I hoping to do. Thanks for posting to say that. 👍

I'll combine the cover talk with a Faith No More near miss...I generally downgrade covers for these lists, but I did include a few for FnM because they are real staples of the band's sound.

The Real Thing included a cover of War Pigs. I bumped it from the top 31 to make room for songs from their first (non-Mike Patton) album. It's solid, but I feel like it's too close to the original to make the list.

Been researching non-QOTSA stuff today, listened to the whole of Kyuss' back catalogue, three Eagles of Death Metal albums, and some Lady Gaga tracks
Back in 2018, I went to the Cal Jam put on by Foo Fighters and one of the performances was by Iggy Pop and the Post Pop Depression Band, which was Josh Homme and some other guys from QOTSA and Arctic Monkeys. They were awesome.

Tenacious D, Greta Van Fleet, Garbage, Silversun Pickups and a bunch of other cool bands were there. I was stoned off my *** and wound up hanging out next to Jeff Probst near the front - he was pretty cool and recorded a Survivor themed message to my friends kid. Our other friends didn’t believe us until we showed video evidence. Such a fun crazy night.

I obviously don't know what JWB has in store for us, but I think you may be surprised with the lack of Chester screaming you're about to experience. While it was a staple throughout Hybrid Theory and continued on for their hits on at least the next 2 albums it wasn't nearly as prevalent as radio led the masses to believe. There are also some FANTASTIC alternative versions to a lot of their early work - again, not gonna play spoiler, but those with an anti nu metal itch please keep an open mind. You're probably gonna get a handful of skips that you expect, but I think whatever the number it'll be less than you think it is now.

I obviously don't know what JWB has in store for us, but I think you may be surprised with the lack of Chester screaming you're about to experience.
Wait a minute, Chester, you know I am a peaceful man.

Been researching non-QOTSA stuff today, listened to the whole of Kyuss' back catalogue, three Eagles of Death Metal albums, and some Lady Gaga tracks
Back in 2018, I went to the Cal Jam put on by Foo Fighters and one of the performances was by Iggy Pop and the Post Pop Depression Band, which was Josh Homme and some other guys from QOTSA and Arctic Monkeys. They were awesome.

Tenacious D, Greta Van Fleet, Garbage, Silversun Pickups and a bunch of other cool bands were there. I was stoned off my *** and wound up hanging out next to Jeff Probst near the front - he was pretty cool and recorded a Survivor themed message to my friends kid. Our other friends didn’t believe us until we showed video evidence. Such a fun crazy night.
Probst is a huge fan of the Foos and knows them all personally. Only once has he put someone on Survivor based on someone he knows IRL saying "you need to meet this person". That was Pat Smear's nanny.

Tears for Fears list has been cut down from 51 to 37 with incredible ease.

The fact Im seriously considering their cover of Ashes to Ashes should let you know some songs at the bottom end are a bit patchy.
Most of their songs are good, but not great album tracks that just dont transcend to a list of their best 31 songs.

6 cuts to go.

Sufjan playlist has been submitted, let’s goooo
I only know - and really like - the Illinois album (think you took it in the Decade draft and I gave it a listen a few times) - so I’m looking forward to this one as well.
That is probably his best album and certainly most upbeat but his I think he's got a really strong body of work. My approach wasn't a ranking or chrono but to focus on what I consider his best albums (Illinois, Michigan, Seven Swans, Carrie and Lowell and the Call Me By Your Name Soundtrack) with some of his more eclectic work mixed in between the album chunks. I will say compared to Illinois, a lot of his songs are much more subdued folk but I think that's still up your alley.

Last edited:
I only know - and really like - the Illinois album (think you took it in the Decade draft and I gave it a listen a few times) - so I’m looking forward to this one as well.
That is probably his best album and certainly most eclectic but his I think he's got a really strong body of work. My approach wasn't a ranking or chrono but to focus on what I consider his best albums (Illinois, Michigan, Seven Swans, Carrie and Lowell and the Call Me By Your Name Soundtrack) with some of his more eclectic work mixed in between the album chunks. I will say compared to Illinois, a lot of his songs are much more subdued folk but I think that's still up your alley.
Yeah, I liked Illinois a lot too. Being from Illinois is kind of an added bonus. I remember buying Age of Adz but I was disappointed in it. He kind of fell off my radar until I read about how good Carrie and Lowell was. I liked that one quite a bit too. But those are the only albums I'm familiar with. I'm looking forward to your list.

That is probably his best album and certainly most eclectic but his I think he's got a really strong body of work. My approach wasn't a ranking or chrono but to focus on what I consider his best albums (Illinois, Michigan, Seven Swans, Carrie and Lowell and the Call Me By Your Name Soundtrack) with some of his more eclectic work mixed in between the album chunks. I will say compared to Illinois, a lot of his songs are much more subdued folk but I think that's still up your alley.
Yeah, I liked Illinois a lot too. Being from Illinois is kind of an added bonus. I remember buying Age of Adz but I was disappointed in it. He kind of fell off my radar until I read about how good Carrie and Lowell was. I liked that one quite a bit too. But those are the only albums I'm familiar with. I'm looking forward to your list.
I was also not a fan of Age of Adz. It was well reviewed and all that but it won't make any appearances on my playlist.

18 left to enter....

17Northern VoiceThe New Pornographers
18titusbrambleJosh Homme
20zamboniThin Lizzy
21Raging WeaselChris Cornell
24landryshatJohn Prine
25sullieKim Mitchell
26John Maddens LunchboxTears For Fears
27FairWarningCheapTrick
31zegas11Tom Petty
33otb_liferSiouxie
34Hov34Ben Folds
36Just Win BabyMike Shinoda
39snevenelevenScott Hutchison
40zazalePyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
41AAABatteriesNathaniel Rateliff (and the Night Sweats)
43DrianMalcomJohn Lee Hooker
44falguyCollective Soul
45Sam QuentinRainbow

I have to give you my Sia Introduction/Writeup now because I am leaving for Hawaii later this week. Hooray for being behind on the playlists before it even begins! This writeup and a lot of my song writeups will be summarized from various reddit posts as I'm fairly new to most of her catalog.

Sia Kate Isobelle Furler

Sia is an Australian singer/songwriter/producer/activist/wig enthusiast, She is famous for her unique raspy voice and voice cracks, and songwriting credits. Sia's music has changed genres a couple of times over her career. She started out singing for an acid jazz band called Crisp. When they disbanded in 1997, she then did some vocals for the British triphop duo Zero 7, before releasing her solo albums and seeing some success. If you've ever watched the HBO show "Six Feet Under", in particular the finale (AKA best series finale ever), I'm sure you remember and recognize one song that grew popular in the US because of its use in this episode. A few more years down the line, she began doing some songwriting for other pop artists before releasing her own pop albums that thrust her into stardom.

Sia's catalog can be categorized as pre-2010 and post-2010. While her life has always been problematic, in 2010, her growing fame, couple with her addictions, depression, and diagnosis with Graves disease took its toll. She refused to do promos for her tours, began to wear a mask on stage and became increasingly dependent on drugs and alcohol on the road. This nearly drove her to suicide. She took a hiatus from singing and public appearances, and began her career as a songwriter, writing songs for other famous and rising pop stars including Beyoncé, Kylie Minogue, Flo Rida and Rihanna. In 2014, she burst back onto the scene with what many consider her magnum opus album that was praised for its personal tone and showcased Sia's vulnerable side. This also marked her transition from an indie "jazzy rock" singer to full on pop music. Because of all of this, I have chosen to present her playlist in chronological order. I will include my personal rankings in song writeups.

What to expect from a Sia song:

Pre-2010:
Minimal, upbeat jazz influenced songs with themes being introspective or relationship based. Some labels for this stage of her career have included jazz, folktronica, synthpop.
Post-2010: Electro-heavy, down tempo songs, with powerful vocals and lyrics full of metaphors about her own personal conflicts.

My playlist will also include some interesting covers Sia has done, as well as some songs from other artists that she has written. So if you see a song on the playlist from a seemingly new artist out of nowhere, it's a song Sia wrote. Since these come right in the middle of her career, this will be a nice intermission in between her pre and post 2010 work.

Why did I choose Sia?

When I did my Sigur Ros playlist, I mentioned that I really like music that delivers powerful emotions and really makes you feel things. I feel like Sia's voice and songs deliver this like few other pop artists have. I also wanted to switch it up and go with an artist this is a bit more accessible. I really liked the inclusion of Taylor Swift in the last draft (and was bummed when Beyonce didn't happen), and I feel like this one will have similar vibes, surprising a lot of people who may only see her as a pop singer.

I, like many, first discovered Sia while watching Six Feet Under as mentioned above, and I probably had that song on repeat for a month. Despite this, at the time I never really dove into her catalog, granted this was very early in her career and there was not much solo stuff out there. It wasn't until hearing Chandelier years later on all the radio stations that I realized there was something that clicked with me about her music in general. I now have a bunch of new favorites from this deep dive.

Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats are a mixture of R&B, folk and rock. The band hails from Denver, Colorado and was formed in 2013. The group has found acclaim for their infectious blend of soulful melodies, heartfelt lyrics, and high-energy performances.

Fronted by the Nathaniel Rateliff, whose distinctive gravelly voice adds a unique depth to their sound, the band's music draws inspiration from various genres, including folk, R&B, and classic rock. Their self-titled debut album, "Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats," released in 2015, was a breakout success. As an aside, this is my favorite album from the band, which is unusual for me, and I assume many others as it normally seems it takes a band a while to gel and hit their groove. My opinion on that is Rateliff cut his teeth on his early solo albums, so he was already a better singer, songwriter and performer before he and the Night Sweats teamed up. Additionally, some bands show their instrumental chops from the get so and this is a world class soul band - it's not surprising they hit the ground running.

One of the band's defining characteristics is their exceptional live shows. Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats are renowned for their electrifying performances that radiate an infectious joy, leaving concertgoers with unforgettable memories. Their stage presence and tight-knit musical chemistry have solidified their reputation as a must-see act. I've heard several folks already comment on how much they enjoy seeing the band perform live and if I'm honest it's one of the very few that I would be willing to go see. I love them that much.

I didn't have to do the same level of legwork as many of you as their discography isn't as deep as many of these artists. 3 solo albums, 3 group albums, one live album, a couple of EPs and some covers but that doesn't mean I had to find filler for the bottom third - far from it.

My album distribution goes as follow:

In Memory of Loss (2010) - 3 songs
Falling Faster Than You Can Run (2013) - 3 songs
Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats (2015) - 6 songs
A Little Something More From... (2016) - 2 songs
Tearing at the Seams (2018) - 7 songs
And It's Still Alright (2020) - 2 songs
The Future (2021) - 5 songs
Covers - 3 songs

Now with 7 songs from Tearing at the Seams one might think that is my favorite album but that's definitely not true. Their self-titled album will show its overall strength but also how many heavy hitters I see that album having once my picks are revealed. Let's just say it does really well. Also, in the covers area (spoiler ahead) there's one that was released just this month!

My list was done in my personal order with one big exception that I will explain at the time. I imagine most will be familiar with at least a few songs here if not most of their catalog, but I had so much fun putting this together and I hope for those who aren't familiar with Rateliff that they enjoy the ride.

I wasn't planning to share any last 5 out songs but felt like maybe I should share at least a couple that many may have expected to be on the list:

• Redemption - solid song and was one of the last ones cut. Decent example of his solo work, just a little tame and not unique enough for me to include in my 31
  • What a Drag - another really good song but something has to be cut.
I will say that the thing missing from both these and contributed to them being left out is the powerful voice Rateliff has and shows on so many of his songs. His music, for me, is epic and joyous - makes me want to dance and let out a primal scream all at time.

*To be fully transparent, I had ChatGPT start this writeup and then I heavily edited it. You may all appreciate that once I write some of my own song write-ups. ;) I also just wanted to see what it came up with as I've been using it a bunch to do work/personal stuff.

**Getz - will have my list submitted today

Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats are a mixture of R&B, folk and rock. The band hails from Denver, Colorado and was formed in 2013. The group has found acclaim for their infectious blend of soulful melodies, heartfelt lyrics, and high-energy performances.

Fronted by the Nathaniel Rateliff, whose distinctive gravelly voice adds a unique depth to their sound, the band's music draws inspiration from various genres, including folk, R&B, and classic rock. Their self-titled debut album, "Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats," released in 2015, was a breakout success. As an aside, this is my favorite album from the band, which is unusual for me, and I assume many others as it normally seems it takes a band a while to gel and hit their groove. My opinion on that is Rateliff cut his teeth on his early solo albums, so he was already a better singer, songwriter and performer before he and the Night Sweats teamed up. Additionally, some bands show their instrumental chops from the get so and this is a world class soul band - it's not surprising they hit the ground running.

One of the band's defining characteristics is their exceptional live shows. Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats are renowned for their electrifying performances that radiate an infectious joy, leaving concertgoers with unforgettable memories. Their stage presence and tight-knit musical chemistry have solidified their reputation as a must-see act. I've heard several folks already comment on how much they enjoy seeing the band perform live and if I'm honest it's one of the very few that I would be willing to go see. I love them that much.

I didn't have to do the same level of legwork as many of you as their discography isn't as deep as many of these artists. 3 solo albums, 3 group albums, one live album, a couple of EPs and some covers but that doesn't mean I had to find filler for the bottom third - far from it.

Covers - 3 songs

Now with 7 songs from Tearing at the Seams one might think that is my favorite album but that's definitely not true. Their self-titled album will show its overall strength but also how many heavy hitters I see that album having once my picks are revealed. Let's just say it does really well. Also, in the covers area (spoiler ahead) there's one that was released just this month!

My list was done in my personal order with one big exception that I will explain at the time. I imagine most will be familiar with at least a few songs here if not most of their catalog, but I had so much fun putting this together and I hope for those who aren't familiar with Rateliff that they enjoy the ride.

I wasn't planning to share any last 5 out songs but felt like maybe I should share at least a couple that many may have expected to be on the list:

• Redemption - solid song and was one of the last ones cut. Decent example of his solo work, just a little tame and not unique enough for me to include in my 31
I will say that the thing missing from both these and contributed to them being left out is the powerful voice Rateliff has and shows on so many of his songs. His music, for me, is epic and joyous - makes me want to dance and let out a primal scream all at time.

*To be fully transparent, I had ChatGPT start this writeup and then I heavily edited it. You may all appreciate that once I write some of my own song write-ups. ;) I also just wanted to see what it came up with as I've been using it a bunch to do work/personal stuff.

Just saw their set at Sea Hear Now Festival two weeks back. They were fantastic, so much fun.

It was only an hour set. Need to see them in a full set sometime.

Covers - 3 songs

I don't know much of their catalog outside of a few songs from the self titled album. But I absolutely love 2 of those songs. Definitely looking forward to sampling some of their other tunes.

CSNY History – Part 1

Gotta do a little backstory for my pick. Here’s the big picture version:

If you don’t know, CSNY is David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, and Neil Young.

The four guys were previously in three other bands, all of which had success in the mid to late 60’s. Crosby came from The Byrds, Nash came from The Hollies, and Stills and Young came from Buffalo Springfield.

By 1968, the Springfield were prettymuch imploding, and Crosby had been kicked out of the Byrds a few months earlier. He and Stills were in the same social circle, and basically figured “while we’re doing nothing, let’s write some songs together and see what happens”.

*Note on the “same social circle”. In the late 60’s, Laurel Canyon outside of LA was a big-time music scene. You had several huge groups/names all living there –Frank Zappa, Cass Elliot, Peter Tork of the Monkees, Jim Morrison, Jackson Brown, Roger McGuinn, J. D. Souther, Glen Frey, Joni Mitchell, Linda Ronstadt, Neil, Stills, Crosby, etc. It was one of those scenes where there were lots of parties, guitars would get brought out, everyone would sing their new songs.

It was at one of those parties (nobody can agree on exactly which one, probably Cass Elliot’s house) that Stills and Crosby started singing one of their new songs. Also at this party was Graham Nash, who came over with the Hollies for a tour. He became enamored with the mellow, weed-fueled Lauren Canyon scene. The Hollies were classic rough and tumble British musicians – “five pints a night” guys, but not into weed/etc. Nash was a little more open minded and wanted more of that whole scene (and more of Joni Mitchell, who he had eyes for). He also had some songs he wanted to record that the Hollies didn’t feel fit their style, so he was getting ready to move on.

Anyway, they’re at this party, and Graham hears Crosby and Stills sing, and says “do that again”. They do, and he adds a harmony, and right away, the three of them were like “OMG” – their voices blended perfectly, and they recognized it immediately - they knew they HAD to work together. There was some legal wrangling to release Crosby and Nash from record contracts, but it was all put to bed fairly quickly, and CSN went on to record their first album, which was a huge hit.

CSNY History – Part 2

So they make their debut album, with each of them contributing some excellent songs. The album is a massive hit, and established CSN as a supergroup. But there was a problem… playing live.

Stills is one of those “plays all the instruments” guys. He played most of the stuff on the CSN album (Dallas Taylor played drums). Crosby could noodle a bit on rhythm guitar, as could Nash (plus keyboards) but neither is considered anything but ordinary there. They needed at least one other musician/guitar to make it work live. And they were scheduled to play Woodstock shortly.

Stills said “hey, how about Neil Young”? The others were not so enthused. Stills was, because even though he and Neil butted heads in Buffalo Springfield, they also played guitar rather well together, and there was a lot of mutual respect. Crosby was ok with it after awhile, but Nash needed convincing. He and Neil went out to breakfast, where Neil sold him on the idea. But Neil was not coming in as a hired gun – he wanted to be a full member, so CSN now becomes CSNY.

Neil brought a bit of a darker edge to the group, but you could also say “life” (plus drugs) did that too. Crosby’s girlfriend was killed in a car accident, Stephen and his girl were on the outs, and Nash and Joni Mitchell were deep into their relationship (“Our House” is about them), which was filled with highs and lows.

This is evident on the second album, Déjà vu. It’s usually considered “equal or maybe a little better” than the first album, but it is nowhere near as upbeat. As the album was rising the charts, Kent State happens, and CSNY felt “we have to get a message out there”. In a day, Neil writes the song Ohio, and they perform it and release it to massive success. They could do no wrong… or could they?

CSNY History – Part 3

Part 3 doesn’t really follow any timeline. Any band with Neil Young and David Crosby in it is doomed to be, at best, turbulent. Because Neil will always eventually go his own way, and Crosby… well, he’s just really difficult to get along with. And the other two guys have big egos too.

And that’s prettymuch been the story for CSNY – Neil, who easily has the biggest solo career, has drifted in and out. The trio of CSN made a few more solid albums to varying degrees of success, the four got together for a monster stadium tour in 1974, they all did solo work and paired up from time to time (Crosby/Nash, and Stills/Young). Crosby did a boatload of heroin, gets jailed for drugs and guns, and eventually drives the other three away – it’s pretty telling that none of the other three (who all remained friends) were on speaking terms with him when he died.

But man, they made some great music together. I’m really happy with the 31 I picked. I could have gone deeper into their solo careers, but I stuck with mostly stuff that is well-regarded and popular. If you aren’t a fan you’ll hear a lot of stuff you don’t know, but if you like these guys and know a little of their solo work, nothing in my list should surprise you.

And you know, they can still sing and play. Neil warbles a bit now but really rocked live with his recent Promise of the Real ventures. Stills doesn’t sound great now, but he can still play, and in my opinion, is one of the most underrated all-time greats. He’s up there with Clapton and Hendrix in terms of a guitarist, and is an all-time songwriter and arranger. Nash wrote some great songs, and I saw him live in 2022 - he sounded fantastic. Really great show. He talked about Joni a lot too – clearly the love of his life.

I hope you enjoy the songs. I know it won’t make fans out of anyone who thinks CSNY is a little soft (mostly because the studio mixes favor Graham’s high voice a lot), but I would encourage to listen on a good system (or headphones) that can separate a little – the harmonies are, in my opinion, amongst the best ever. Add a little Neil edge, and there’s a lot to like.

I guess we're doing this before Friday...

Introducing: The Seldom Scene

From my previous installments, we learned that bluegrass spread from its Appalachian roots to the broadcast range of its local radio stations and beyond thanks to the availability of records. We also learned that its cross-pollination to the DC area was helped by a ridiculously talented band started by a transplant from Louisiana, and by unfortunate happenstance for them, the first fully local DC bluegrass band, The Country Gentlemen, began, and again by unfortunate happenstance in the form of a case of aerophobia led to the creation of a paradigm-shifting band that forged a new path for the genre to follow, The Seldom Scene.

The band itself came into being in a similar fashion to what @jwb described about CSN. I don't know the actual events that led to the meeting, but in the early 70s, Ben Eldrich (banjo) and Mike Auldrich (dobro) regularly got together for impromptu jam sessions. At some point, they were joined by a U.S. Army doctor (John Starling, guitar), and word of their sessions reached the ear of the then-retired from The Country Gentlemen John Duffey (mandolin), who joined them and from there, along with another former Gentlemen, Tom Gray (stand-up bass), they realized they should take their act public. When news of this new venture reached the ears of Country Gentlemen founder Charlie Waller (who if you don't remember, recruited Duffey to join him in filling in for a gig that the big act at the time couldn't make due to an auto accident, which led to the formation of their band to begin with), he is reported to have said "What are they going to call themselves? The 'Seldom Seen'?" Obviously, that comment got back to Duffey and co., and with a slight change in spelling, they had a name.

Their musicianship, choice of songs and Duffey's showmanship combined to build them a strong local following. Remember that this is the DC area, so they were pulling in young suburbanites, professionals with no ties to the genre. This lineup released albums from 1971-76, including a live album in '75, each one a mix of standards and more current, non-traditionally bluegrass songs, the latter being what set them apart from and ahead of the rest.

From the genre's inception, most if not all bluegrass acts pretty much stuck to its rural, traditional catalog, with the occasional crossover to country and maaaaaaaybe folk songs. The 'Scene jumped into folk/contemporary music with both feet. Among the songs they played--and appear on this list--were pop hits (Ricky Nelson's Hello Mary Lou), folk-ish hits (City of New Orleans), and they even took on Eric Clapton (After Midnight and Lay Down Sally). There are other 'non-traditional' songs as well, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I was unable to get to 31 songs because I tried to only pick ones that I had seen them play live and/or I feel a personal connection to. There are a couple that aren't as personally significant but I 'discovered' while putting my list together.

Finally, over the course of revealing the list, I'm also going to mention a few milestones in their history and give each band member a turn in the spotlight, akin to the style of their songs. I'm as excited about this as I am about the songs themselves, because I was surprised by how little I knew about them until now.

See you again at #27...

Josh Homme 31 submitted, consisting of roughly 68% Queens of the Stone Age. Main band just too good, but here's a last few out to get us up to 40 in no particular order:

Biffy Clyro - Bubbles (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxUb9Yzr1sE)
The Desert Sessions - Rickshaw (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX06cf15w-U)
Eagles of Death Metal - Solid Gold (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lrVQNlx3MM)
Eleven - Stone Cold Crazy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiAWn1KSe-0)
Lady Gaga - Diamond Heart (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIyJDNeIbpY)
Mondo Generator - Cocaine Rodeo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uloIfdIeXvM)
Primal Scream - Necro Hex Blues (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G31DjyFcZkk)
Queens of the Stone Age - Everybody's Gonna Be Happy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cA8e5KgOr4)
UNKLE - Restless (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igRcOdtfQsM)

Quick breakdown of selections:

Queens of the Stone Age 21 (s/t 2, Rated R 3, Songs for the Deaf 6, Lullabies to Paralyze 1, Era Vulgaris 5, Like Clockwork 2, Villains 1, In Times New Roman 1)
Kyuss 4
Eagles of Death Metal 3
Them Crooked Vultures 2

Then 1 wildcard that I won't say, as it'll give away the exact track

Quick breakdown of selections:

Queens of the Stone Age 21 (s/t 2, Rated R 3, Songs for the Deaf 6, Lullabies to Paralyze 1, Era Vulgaris 5, Like Clockwork 2, Villains 1, In Times New Roman 1)
Kyuss 4
Eagles of Death Metal 3
Them Crooked Vultures 2

Then 1 wildcard that I won't say, as it'll give away the exact track
Yeah...Songs for the Deaf is pretty close to a masterpiece...

Users who are viewing this thread