What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kyren Williams, LAR (1 Viewer)

I’m looking to move him in dynasty leagues where he’s not essential to my plans this year. What is he now worth in the dynasty community? A 2024 1st?
Yeah, I'd ask for a 1st, and add something to him to get a 1st.
When you can turn a myles gaskin/jd mckissick type RB into a 1st based on a hot situation, you do it.
That said, it's been harder to flip that type of RB for profit in recent years. You may find that he's worth more on your roster for the season (if contending) if no one offers a 1st.

Last edited:
Reading these comments, I am glad I don't play dynasty. It looks like the strategy is to hoard picks, then when those picks turn into points trade them for more picks, and sprinkle in some dog **** to make the deal seem sweeter :lol:

Do any of you actually enjoy winning fantasy football games and championships or is it all about hoarding picks?

eta: this hot take is not just based on this thread, it seems every dynasty talk I see is about cashing out guys who are scoring points today for future picks that may score points years down the road
Dude, you're spilling my strategy! Some people from my league could be here and figure it out. 🤫

I must be missing something. Watched the whole game yesterday and didn’t really see much that impressed me. However, the pure volume is there in what should be a good offense assuming Stafford stays upright. I was lucky enough to win the bid for him in 2 leagues so hope he keeps it going.

I must be missing something. Watched the whole game yesterday and didn’t really see much that impressed me. However, the pure volume is there in what should be a good offense assuming Stafford stays upright. I was lucky enough to win the bid for him in 2 leagues so hope he keeps it going.
Keep hearing this. Not an impressive athelete blah blah. I don't know. On his TD run he was looking like quite the violent runner.

What is impressive is volume.

And lack of competition.

And an offense that everyone missed the boat on preseason. And it will only get better once Kupp is back.

No one every sees the talent until they string together multiple weeks. I saw it week 1 and chose him over everyone’s darling Pacua.

I’m being offered him for my ‘25 1st and I get a ‘24 3rd back in the deal. Urgh. Not sure what to do, ready to compete this year team is strong everywhere but RB where I’ve been wiped out.

I’m being offered him for my ‘25 1st and I get a ‘24 3rd back in the deal. Urgh. Not sure what to do, ready to compete this year team is strong everywhere but RB where I’ve been wiped out.
I would take that in a heartbeat.
I have Akers and Williams and I would take that deal without hesitation.
I mean I would take the deal being offered to him. To acquire Williams.

I checked back on your previous posts and worked out that you meant that ! @JohnnyU which way round you meaning it ? I actually do also own Akers, not that it makes much difference at this point. I guess Kyren being the man, and Akers being traded to somewhere where he’s of value would be a great outcome

I know that McVeys words about Kyren last year portend that he genuinely likes him and there is little other competition, but I’ve just seen so many instances of an RB having a couple of weeks uptick, bought for a high price then just disappears into the void.

Not a good move long term imo.

I checked back on your previous posts and worked out that you meant that ! @JohnnyU which way round you meaning it ? I actually do also own Akers, not that it makes much difference at this point. I guess Kyren being the man, and Akers being traded to somewhere where he’s of value would be a great outcome

I know that McVeys words about Kyren last year portend that he genuinely likes him and there is little other competition, but I’ve just seen so many instances of an RB having a couple of weeks uptick, bought for a high price then just disappears into the void.
I would take a 1st for Williams and I have Akers, not that it matters now. That is how I meant it. Having a McVay RB is risky business.

Reading these comments, I am glad I don't play dynasty. It looks like the strategy is to hoard picks, then when those picks turn into points trade them for more picks, and sprinkle in some dog **** to make the deal seem sweeter :lol:

Do any of you actually enjoy winning fantasy football games and championships or is it all about hoarding picks?

eta: this hot take is not just based on this thread, it seems every dynasty talk I see is about cashing out guys who are scoring points today for future picks that may score points years down the road
Dude, you're spilling my strategy! Some people from my league could be here and figure it out. 🤫
I couldnt find Bozeman Bruisers original post here but its something I would like to respond to.

I think there is a lot of merit to this perspective of preferring players who are playing now and can potentially score points that can help your team win games now. Many managers in dynasty formats are perpetually chasing the future and not living in the present.

At the same time in dynasty rookie picks are the most fluid form of currency a manager can own because they are not tied to a specific asset, which will have more variable value depending on competitors priorities and current roster construction. Some of those teams may only be seeking players at one position but not others, and their opinions on the specific players will be different as well.

A draft pick could be used on any position and any player they might like. Either by drafting that player with the pick, or by trading that pick for a different player they want.

Because of the limitations of roster spots the draft picks are a way of expanding the overall value of your team. If you trade a player for a pick you then free up a roster spot to pick up someone else. Rinse and repeat with several transactions made this way.

Because in dynasty all players are kept year after year it is possible for dynasty teams to build up their rosters with many strong players as the core of their team and not have the need for free agent replacements to improve their starting lineups.

So these additional roster spots are used to churn free agent players and the more of those that can be sold for picks, the greater the value of the overall team becomes.

Draft picks often function like bonds as well. Their value increases as they mature, when those picks get closer to the actual draft they will be used in. So the manager can use timing with their trades to leverage more value out of those picks, by buying them when their cash in point is far away and selling them when that point is near.

I couldnt find Bozeman Bruisers original post here but its something I would like to respond to.

I think there is a lot of merit to this perspective of preferring players who are playing now and can potentially score points that can help your team win games now. Many managers in dynasty formats are perpetually chasing the future and not living in the present.

At the same time in dynasty rookie picks are the most fluid form of currency a manager can own because they are not tied to a specific asset, which will have more variable value depending on competitors priorities and current roster construction. Some of those teams may only be seeking players at one position but not others, and their opinions on the specific players will be different as well.

A draft pick could be used on any position and any player they might like. Either by drafting that player with the pick, or by trading that pick for a different player they want.

Because of the limitations of roster spots the draft picks are a way of expanding the overall value of your team. If you trade a player for a pick you then free up a roster spot to pick up someone else. Rinse and repeat with several transactions made this way.

Because in dynasty all players are kept year after year it is possible for dynasty teams to build up their rosters with many strong players as the core of their team and not have the need for free agent replacements to improve their starting lineups.

So these additional roster spots are used to churn free agent players and the more of those that can be sold for picks, the greater the value of the overall team becomes.

Draft picks often function like bonds as well. Their value increases as they mature, when those picks get closer to the actual draft they will be used in. So the manager can use timing with their trades to leverage more value out of those picks, by buying them when their cash in point is far away and selling them when that point is near.
Yep, that's a good explanation. And my comment was only half-facetious, as my dynasty strategy is similar to what Bozeman was saying overall, but (hopefully) not so literally "selling all point-scorers for picks". It's a balance, but you generally want as much value as you can get, at all times. Especially in my league where trading picks more than 1 year out has been banned for the last couple seasons, I very much try to hoard picks. Then immediately after the draft I can try to flip one or two of my new rookies for next year's picks (thereby "sort of" circumventing the ban).

Yep, that's a good explanation. And my comment was only half-facetious, as my dynasty strategy is similar to what Bozeman was saying overall, but (hopefully) not so literally "selling all point-scorers for picks". It's a balance, but you generally want as much value as you can get, at all times. Especially in my league where trading picks more than 1 year out has been banned for the last couple seasons, I very much try to hoard picks. Then immediately after the draft I can try to flip one or two of my new rookies for next year's picks (thereby "sort of" circumventing the ban).
I do think not allowing picks to be traded more than one year away makes for a healthier league as teams cannot be gutted for multiple seasons of picks and then abandoned, leaving that team with no viable assets for multiple seasons.

Depends on the league of course, but from a commishioners perspective not allowing that can help the league be more stable.

In some leagues managers are committed enough long term for this to be less of a concern, but I tend to agree with that limitation being more healthy for the league in a vacuum.

I deleted that post because afterwards I thought it might be off topic for a specific player thread like this and better suited for a general dynasty thread, wasn't sure how strict that sort of thing is here.

I do think not allowing picks to be traded more than one year away makes for a healthier league as teams cannot be gutted for multiple seasons of picks and then abandoned, leaving that team with no viable assets for multiple seasons.

Depends on the league of course, but from a commishioners perspective not allowing that can help the league be more stable.

In some leagues managers are committed enough long term for this to be less of a concern, but I tend to agree with that limitation being more healthy for the league in a vacuum.
Personally I hate the rule. But I can understand that perspective. We've only had maybe 3 departures in the last 10 years, if I had to guess a number on it. And I don't really think any were "gutted". But you never know when someone might take advantage of the system.

Not to mention that picks also don’t get injured or race in cars at 180mph or smash Dom bottles over peoples heads in nightclubs
Yes there are a lot of different angles to this.

When you consider that a RB who actually scores enough points to be useful for a fantasy season, the average number of seasons that they are is two. Its just very high turnover at the position and even the best ones cannot stay at this level for very long.

The majority of RB are not even useful for a full season, but only a few games of a season, if at all. See Cam Akers for example. A few games but never sustaining that production for a full season yet. Yes he still could, his career is not over yet, but I have seen enough that I think its unlikely he ever does provide a season of productive games for the remainder of his career. He is being replaced by Williams now.

As far as Williams, who knows how long or if he might be worth starting? Could be a few games or maybe longer than that, but the odds are against this. Best case scenario he becomes like Austin Eckler, which would be very valuable and certainly worth a 1st round pick if he does, thats just very unlikely.

I have come to the conclushion that if a RB can provide 9 or more start worthy games that is worth a 1st round pick. Others might disagree with this, but just being realistic about the high amount of turnover at the position, teams are always having to find new blood. Even high level RB like Todd Gurley just do not last that long playing at such a high level.

Players at other positions like WR or QB? Thats different. You can count on such players maintaining their value longer than a RB although that is no sure thing either. At least its safer, and you have better odds to get say 5 years of that player maintaining their value compared to 2 years from the RB position.

So this is the decision a dynasty manager has to make every time a RB like Williams comes along, is how long do you think they will be able to maintain their performance and what is that worth to you based on how your current team is constructed?

For a strong team built on a long term foundation of highly valuable WRs and QBs even one year of good RB production could push that team to the top, and I think that is worth a 1st round pick to acquire such a player for that purpose, even if that productivity does not last very long.

For a team that does not have a strong foundation like this I think you sell Williams for the best price you can get and try to convert the asset into a WR or something that can build the long term foundation of your team.

Yes there is always the chance that Williams becomes a long term multi season valuable asset. But that chance is slim, and from a process based perspective you want to be the seller here not the buyer.

I deleted that post because afterwards I thought it might be off topic for a specific player thread like this and better suited for a general dynasty thread, wasn't sure how strict that sort of thing is here.
Thats a good thought and maybe it would be better if our threads were more organized than they are.

But often these ideas happen in the spur of the moment and can make for good discussion, whatever thread that may inspire that.

I would take a 1st for Williams and I have Akers, not that it matters now. That is how I meant it. Having a McVay RB is risky business.
Nah he’s the man here, don’t let the past affect this season. Gurley, Henderson and Akers were all worth starting at one point.

Nah he’s the man here, don’t let the past affect this season. Gurley, Henderson and Akers were all worth starting at one point.
I agree short term. Long term is unknown given McVay's flip flopping.

Personally I hate the rule. But I can understand that perspective. We've only had maybe 3 departures in the last 10 years, if I had to guess a number on it. And I don't really think any were "gutted". But you never know when someone might take advantage of the system.
Yeah I can understand not wanting to have that limitation.

If its long term league as you say try to lobby for a change and if enough owners agree maybe it can be changed.

I have played in a lot of different dynasty leagues and some of them not having this limitation would be fine.

Others I have seen a lot of turnover in managers and even leagues folding. This is what this rule is trying to prevent.

I have seen leagues where managers are completely win now and some of them even cash in for a year then bail afterwards leaving the new owner in a difficult spot trying to fix that team afterwards, or perhaps the worse example is the manager who becomes the victim of too many trades then leaves an even worse roster than the win now managers did.

Rosters where you have to pay someone to take over a long term rebuild. Less risk of that happening if they cant sell all their picks multiple seasons ahead.

Not to mention that picks also don’t get injured or race in cars at 180mph or smash Dom bottles over peoples be

For a strong team built on a long term foundation of highly valuable WRs and QBs even one year of good RB production could push that team to the top, and I think that is worth a 1st round pick to acquire such a player for that purpose, even if that productivity does not last very long.

For a team that does not have a strong foundation like this I think you sell Williams for the best price you can get and try to convert the asset into a WR or something that can build the long term foundation of your team.

Yes there is always the chance that Williams becomes a long term multi season valuable asset. But that chance is slim, and from a process based perspective you want to be the seller here not the buyer.

This is the conundrum I’m in right now. SuperFlex league Allen and Hurts as my QBs. Deebo/Olave/Pittman/Gabe Davis/Addison/Jamo/Reed/Skyy Moore/Lazard so very deep at WR if 1-2 of those younger guys come off.
Dobbins and Akers screwed at RB with nothing behind of note. Only got a ‘24 2nd left and all my ‘25 picks.

One 0-2 owner has White/J Cook/Kyren/Ford all on his trade block. All players I’m trying to work out deals for any 2 combo of them or them alone.

The conundrum is going all chips in on some RBs that could be nothing in literally a month.

Turned into an AC forum post, but you brought up the very thing I’m mulling over as it pertains to Kyren

If its long term league as you say try to lobby for a change and if enough owners agree maybe it can be changed.

I have played in a lot of different dynasty leagues and some of them not having this limitation would be fine.

Others I have seen a lot of turnover in managers and even leagues folding. This is what this rule is trying to prevent.

I have seen leagues where managers are completely win now and some of them even cash in for a year then bail afterwards leaving the new owner in a difficult spot trying to fix that team afterwards, or perhaps the worse example is the manager who becomes the victim of too many trades then leaves an even worse roster than the win now managers did.

Rosters where you have to pay someone to take over a long term rebuild. Less risk of that happening if they cant sell all their picks multiple seasons ahead.
I did lobby to remove the rule the year after it was put into place. But less than half the league liked the idea of removing it. I could bring it up every year, but I don't want to be insufferable.

I did lobby to remove the rule the year after it was put into place. But less than half the league liked the idea of removing it. I could bring it up every year, but I don't want to be insufferable.
As a commish of 3 dynasty leagues we only allow trading of picks 1 year into the future. I've had too many owners treat dynasty leagues like a redraft and sell all their future picks for aging veterans and whether they win or not, leave the league. I'm then left trying to find new owners for teams with no picks and a roster full of geezers. No thanks. I've also been part of leagues that fold because of this mentality and a commish that gives up trying to find owners for these bad teams and no one else wants the job. Again, no thanks.

I’m in a league where if you trade your first rounder more than a year out you have to pay your dues for the upcoming season up front. It doesn’t have a ton of turnover anyway but we haven’t had anyone stripmine a team for a shot at prize money and run

Not to mention that picks also don’t get injured or race in cars at 180mph or smash Dom bottles over peoples be

This is the conundrum I’m in right now. SuperFlex league Allen and Hurts as my QBs. Deebo/Olave/Pittman/Gabe Davis/Addison/Jamo/Reed/Skyy Moore/Lazard so very deep at WR if 1-2 of those younger guys come off.
Dobbins and Akers screwed at RB with nothing behind of note. Only got a ‘24 2nd left and all my ‘25 picks.

One 0-2 owner has White/J Cook/Kyren/Ford all on his trade block. All players I’m trying to work out deals for any 2 combo of them or them alone.

The conundrum is going all chips in on some RBs that could be nothing in literally a month.

Turned into an AC forum post, but you brought up the very thing I’m mulling over as it pertains to Kyren
Yeah its not as easy decision at all.

Circling back this is why its good to have draft picks. So you can makes moves in situations like this without hurting your currently contending roster.

As for your specific situation I think you want to explore as many options as you can before making a decision.

If you can get a RB who will help you for that 2nd round pick could be worth doing. Or maybe you can move a WR for a RB here although doing that weakens your core somewhat

Its walking a tightrope as you say. You want to win now when you are in a window to do so, but you dont want to sacrifice too much of the future in doing so.

I think you are almost always paying more value when you buy a RB. Its just a matter of if you can afford it and if its worthwhile to do so.

I’m in a league where if you trade your first rounder more than a year out you have to pay your dues for the upcoming season up front. It doesn’t have a ton of turnover anyway but we haven’t had anyone stripmine a team for a shot at prize money and run
I think that can be a good compromise.

I’m looking to move him in dynasty leagues where he’s not essential to my plans this year. What is he now worth in the dynasty community? A 2024 1st?
I got Elijah Moore for him prior to this weekends games. No regerts. Gotta be worth a late first now.

As far as Kyren Williams I still dont know enough about him to have a strong opinion about his talent level relative to all other RB in the league.

I do like what little I have seen from him at the NFL level so far but I would defer that to others who know more about hin than I do.

Forgive my macro level philosophizng about things related to Williams but not really specifically about him for those mostly interested in his short term value.

Some talk in the Akers thread today regarding McVey and his management of RB that may be of interest to Williams holders or potential buyers.

I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere officially, but in the post game interview with Kyren it sure sounds like Akers is gone and he is the #1 for the rest of the season barring injury.

Crazy that the #2 RB and #2 WR overall in PPR are both from the Rams, not named Kupp or Akers, and could have been had in the last round of the draft or off waivers after week 1.
That is pretty nutz. Thats the NFL not for long.

Williams seems to have a very good attitude based on his comments in this interview. Thanks for sharing.

I like to think I’m pretty decent at evaluating college rbs. I missed on this guy bad. Went back and checked my notes on him after seeing I had him ranked 63rd(idp) in my draft rankings. Was any body “high” on him coming out? Was his college part of the problem with him? I had him below average on elusiveness. I do remember having a hard time finding games on this kid. Which happened a a lot to me. But jeeez. Like the poster said above. Dudes slippery.

I like to think I’m pretty decent at evaluating college rbs. I missed on this guy bad. Went back and checked my notes on him after seeing I had him ranked 63rd(idp) in my draft rankings. Was any body “high” on him coming out? Was his college part of the problem with him? I had him below average on elusiveness. I do remember having a hard time finding games on this kid. Which happened a a lot to me. But jeeez. Like the poster said above. Dudes slippery.
I seem to remember he was good in the passing game but not much else. Hard to find games? He played for Norte Dame for crying out loud.

I seem to remember he was good in the passing game but not much else. Hard to find games? He played for Norte Dame for crying out loud.
I think he was suggesting the guy didnt play enough. so there wasnt a ton of tape to find.

I still believe what I said on page 1 here. I was sure he’d play early because he relished blocking at Notre Dame.

Most wrote him off for his 40 time, but you’re now seeing the back we had in slippery more than fast. Elusive runner with a knack for blocking should have told people he’d get a shot. I figured he’d be relegated to 3rd down back duties because of draft capital and speed, but glad he’s getting his shot now to show what he’s got.

I think he was suggesting the guy didnt play enough. so there wasnt a ton of tape to find.
At Notre Dame? He was THE guy for a few years. He was the guy to game plan around and why ND was in the playoffs a few years ago, so I think people just forgot about him after Covid.

I still believe what I said on page 1 here. I was sure he’d play early because he relished blocking at Notre Dame.

Most wrote him off for his 40 time, but you’re now seeing the back we had in slippery more than fast. Elusive runner with a knack for blocking should have told people he’d get a shot. I figured he’d be relegated to 3rd down back duties because of draft capital and speed, but glad he’s getting his shot now to show what he’s got.
well, he sure looks good now. what happened in the past is past.
I also am not a guy who likes to rely solely on timed 40 times as a player on the field will time differently than he will on a track. sure a faster time is better than a slower one, but game speed seems to be different. Not always, but for some players it is.

Game cut ups of him

well, he sure looks good now. what happened in the past is past.
I also am not a guy who likes to rely solely on timed 40 times as a player on the field will time differently than he will on a track. sure a faster time is better than a slower one, but game speed seems to be different. Not always, but for some players it is.
The 40 doesn’t factor much at all into my rankings.

I appreciate this feedback.

waldman is super high on zach evans in dynasty, as are others, so i’d like to hold both guys through the year. That said, i do worry about their prospects should Stafford retire at the end of the year.

Was in this same exact situation and getting the same results and felt the same way about bringing it up for a third year in a row. What I wound up doing that third year instead of suggesting to get rid of the rule, was playing into the reason they felt it was necessary in the first place. I suggested that any team that wants to trade future year picks just needs to pay the buy in for that season, that way they are actually tied to the longevity of the team (and the league). So if you're buy in is $100 and you traded your 2024 and 2025 first round picks this offseason to get 1.01 and draft Bijan, you also pre-paid the buy ins for those next two seasons. This also means if an owner does cripple a team and flake out, it makes it a lot easier to backfill their spot by telling the new potential owner "yeah the team is kinda crap and you're missing your next two first round picks, but the buy-in's are on the house and you can play for free these next two years while you rebuild". It universally passed.

edit: posted before reading all the following comments and seeing someone else also say this. TLDR, what that guy said lol.

Was in this same exact situation and getting the same results and felt the same way about bringing it up for a third year in a row. What I wound up doing that third year instead of suggesting to get rid of the rule, was playing into the reason they felt it was necessary in the first place. I suggested that any team that wants to trade future year picks just needs to pay the buy in for that season, that way they are actually tied to the longevity of the team (and the league). So if you're your buy in is $100 and you traded your 2024 and 2025 first round picks this offseason to get 1.01 and draft Bijan, you also pre-paid the buy ins for those next two seasons. This also means if an owner does cripple a team and flake out, it makes it a lot easier to backfill their spot by telling the new potential owner "yeah the team is kinda crap and you're missing your next two first round picks, but the buy-in's are on the house and you can play for free these next two years while you rebuild". It universally passed.

edit: posted before reading all the following comments and seeing someone else also say this. TLDR, what that guy said lol.
fixed

Was in this same exact situation and getting the same results and felt the same way about bringing it up for a third year in a row. What I wound up doing that third year instead of suggesting to get rid of the rule, was playing into the reason they felt it was necessary in the first place. I suggested that any team that wants to trade future year picks just needs to pay the buy in for that season, that way they are actually tied to the longevity of the team (and the league). So if you're your buy in is $100 and you traded your 2024 and 2025 first round picks this offseason to get 1.01 and draft Bijan, you also pre-paid the buy ins for those next two seasons. This also means if an owner does cripple a team and flake out, it makes it a lot easier to backfill their spot by telling the new potential owner "yeah the team is kinda crap and you're missing your next two first round picks, but the buy-in's are on the house and you can play for free these next two years while you rebuild". It universally passed.

fixed corrected
Corrected :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread