What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jahmyr Gibbs, DET (3 Viewers)

Early questions

Were the Lions going to draft Weatherspoon?

Since they passed on Bijan at 6 do the Lions have Gibbs graded the same or higher?

At the end of the day, he's now a RB with 1st round draft capital.

Maybe the situation isn't perfect on day 1, but we'll look back a year from now and say "I can't believe I was worried about David Montgomery."

but we'll look back a year from now and say "I can't believe I was worried about David Montgomery."
I dunno - I believe it will be true RBBC, in the mold of Ingram/Kamara.

I expect them to be on the field together pretty often, and for them to have vastly different roles.

I don't know, I mean what can we expect for a RB's career? 5, maybe 6 years. Swift is there this year unless they can move him, Monty for the next 2 years based on the $ they gave him. So maybe 3 years of a lead back

I don't know, I mean what can we expect for a RB's career? 5, maybe 6 years. Swift is there this year unless they can move him, Monty for the next 2 years based on the $ they gave him. So maybe 3 years of a lead back
You don't need to be a lead back.

When you don't have to carry the ball a ton you last longer.

Don't assume Swift will be there.

What team in the league had like no body on the team at RB?

I think the most surprising thing of the entire first round is the Lions could pass up Bijan for pick 34 and a pick in the 160's to take Gibbs at pick 12 instead and people are actually not excited about it. I just don't get it.

After Swift is gone
About that, lol.

https://twitter.com/colton_pouncy
Colton Pouncy
@colton_pouncy
·
29m

Lions GM Brad Holmes on RB D'Andre Swift: "Yeah, I mean, D'Andre, he's still on our roster. He's still part of our team. He's still under contract with us. He's a dynamic football player. So, (the Gibbs pick) hasn't really changed the math there yet, but, you know, it is early."
He’s a UFA next year though, right?

After Swift is gone
About that, lol.

Colton Pouncy
@colton_pouncy
·
29m

Lions GM Brad Holmes on RB D'Andre Swift: "Yeah, I mean, D'Andre, he's still on our roster. He's still part of our team. He's still under contract with us. He's a dynamic football player. So, (the Gibbs pick) hasn't really changed the math there yet, but, you know, it is early."
Yes but he's not going to make it that far.

After Swift is gone
About that, lol.

Colton Pouncy
@colton_pouncy
·
29m

Agreed. Just thinking worst-case

After Swift is gone
About that, lol.

Colton Pouncy
@colton_pouncy
·
29m

You don't think he'll be picked up in free agancy or are you saying he gets cut/traded before then? Either way it's better for him as Detriot didn't utilize him properly.

After Swift is gone
About that, lol.

Colton Pouncy
@colton_pouncy
·
29m

You don't think he'll be picked up in free agancy or are you saying he gets cut before then? Either way it's better for him as Detriot didn't utilize him properly.
He'll be traded.

After Swift is gone
About that, lol.

Colton Pouncy
@colton_pouncy
·
29m

You don't think he'll be picked up in free agancy or are you saying he gets cut before then? Either way it's better for him as Detriot didn't utilize him properly.
He'll be traded.
Miami will take hium

After Swift is gone
About that, lol.

Colton Pouncy
@colton_pouncy
·
29m

He'll be traded.
Miami will take hium
That's the main team I think about it and would be awesome.

My guess is they might be in the market for Achane or Dalvin as well so they might want to see how that plays out first.

Holmes essentially just hung a for sale sign on Swift. He's versatile and not expensive so I think they will have trade options, probably day three type options but options.

The draft capital for Gibbs is drastically different then Kamara's but this reminds me of some chatter after Kamara got drafted. They had just signed Adrian Peterson that off-season and people were a little turned off on the short term situation with that looked like a 3 man RBBC with ADP, Ingram and Kamara. Saints ended up dealing ADP off after week 5. I don't think this one will take that long.

Meh....fantasy wise i don't think he's worth much. Seems like the guy that comes out all the time who is hyped but then really doesn't do much...couple of exciting plays per year but that's it

Swift might get packaged tomorrow

IDK maybe they're going to use Jahmyr like Deebo

Tyreek was a college RB who played flanker

honestly a baffling pick, and Holmes looked like just won the Powerball pounding the table in excitement
The problem is Deebo is a much better Running Back than Gibbs. No inside running game for Gibbs really has me scratching my head as a Lions fan.

Forget about Swift, this was a statement that Swift is not a guy they can count on. Swift is already RB3 and on the trading block. They did not draft Gibbs to sit behind Swift.

This is a great spot for Gibbs. He will be much more involved in the passing game than Swift was including lining up at WR. With Gibbs size, he was not going to be a workhorse, but is an ideal compliment to a back like Monty.

but we'll look back a year from now and say "I can't believe I was worried about David Montgomery."
I dunno - I believe it will be true RBBC, in the mold of Ingram/Kamara.

I expect them to be on the field together pretty often, and for them to have vastly different roles.
I don't mean to say Montgomery ins't involved. But he's not going to keep Gibbs from being good for fantasy.

If you liked Gibbs before, a team spending the 12th overall pick on him should only enhance that--regardless of who else is on the roster.

I think the most surprising thing of the entire first round is the Lions could pass up Bijan for pick 34 and a pick in the 160's to take Gibbs at pick 12 instead and people are actually not excited about it. I just don't get it.
Maybe because not everyone has blind faith in the Lions organization? There's no denying that they really like him, and the draft capital is great, but that doesn't mean they're right.

That's the problem with the draft capital argument- all it really tells us is what 1 team thought about the player.

He was maybe going to the Jets?

Mmm, I don't think I believe this.

J.R. in Ronkonkoma what’s your hot take?

This makes literally no sense. You got a top five back last year out of the first round and your best option is to plan on taking a guy in round one to be your second back? Very strange allocation of resources imo.
Would have been strange but also teams do weird things. I think teams may be viewing him as part receiver. Numberswise CMC is the only receiving back close to as good as Gibbs was in college. He was the leading WR at Alabama last year.

I had heard New England at 15 (Alabama OC connection) but this one is new to me.
seems rather unlikely based on how NE values Rb's
I think people who have not been high on him is mainly because they are stuck in the mode of thinking he's just a RB.

There are RB's who are solid in the passing game when they are catching screens and dump offs. But Gibbs is so much more then that, he's lining up all over the field. He's really close to a hybrid RB/WR. As a pure runner he's not remotely worth a first or even a second round pick IMO. He's not terrible, really nice big play ability, but he's not a foundation type bell cow runner. His value is as a multi-purpose threat and that has value past the RB position.

I had heard New England at 15 (Alabama OC connection) but this one is new to me.
I think people who have not been high on him is mainly because they are stuck in the mode of thinking he's just a RB.

There are RB's who are solid in the passing game when they are catching screens and dump offs. But Gibbs is so much more then that, he's lining up all over the field. He's really close to a hybrid RB/WR. As a pure runner he's not remotely worth a first or even a second round pick IMO. He's not terrible, really nice big play ability, but he's not a foundation type bell cow runner. His value is as a multi-purpose threat and that has value past the RB position.
that's fair, NE doesn't really take players like that in the first round either though...

that's fair, NE doesn't really take players like that in the first round either though...
That's true but I think a lot to be said for the BOB connection and dire need of playmakers.

Good stuff. If you have Goff, you want guys who turn 6 hard passes into 60 yards plays.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Lions "would've been comfortable" drafting Jahmyr Gibbs with the No. 6 overall pick.​

Detroit originally held the sixth pick but traded back to No. 12 with Arizona. The move netted the Lions the 34th pick and a fifth-round selection, though they added the 81st pick to get the deal done. Gibbs was considered an option for teams near the end of the first round by most draft pundits. Detroit taking him as early as they did was shocking enough. It's even more surprising to hear that, if they hadn't traded out of the top 10, Gibbs could have gone before Bijan Robinson. It's clear that the team has grand plans for the rookie running back. His arrival already has D'Andre Swift on the trade block. It could also relegate David Montgomery to nothing more than short-yardage duties.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Apr 28, 2023, 2:32 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Lions "would've been comfortable" drafting Jahmyr Gibbs with the No. 6 overall pick.​

Detroit originally held the sixth pick but traded back to No. 12 with Arizona. The move netted the Lions the 34th pick and a fifth-round selection, though they added the 81st pick to get the deal done. Gibbs was considered an option for teams near the end of the first round by most draft pundits. Detroit taking him as early as they did was shocking enough. It's even more surprising to hear that, if they hadn't traded out of the top 10, Gibbs could have gone before Bijan Robinson. It's clear that the team has grand plans for the rookie running back. His arrival already has D'Andre Swift on the trade block. It could also relegate David Montgomery to nothing more than short-yardage duties.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Apr 28, 2023, 2:32 PM ET
I'm comfortable in saying I don't believe it.

Users who are viewing this thread