What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Next 100 best movies from the 80's (3 Viewers)

Maybe I'm missing it on one of the lists? I scanned it 3 times.

Or, are you saying A Very Brady Christmas and Howard the Duck should be on this list, but The Outsiders should not? That's ridiculous!
#21.....the crazy thing is only Shuke picked it, and had it at #3 I believe......so out of 5 people only one person thought it belonged in the top 200 of the decade.....how is that even possible?

Or, are you saying A Very Brady Christmas and Howard the Duck should be on this list, but The Outsiders should not? That's ridiculous!
#21.....the crazy thing is only Shuke picked it, and had it at #3 I believe......so out of 5 people only one person thought it belonged in the top 200 of the decade.....how is that even possible?
OK, I'm caught up now. Sorry...please continue.

52Caddyshackshuke - #17
I dont have time to keep up with the thread, but can we talk about this?

:penalty:

How is Caddyshack not on everyone's list? Sure, the Oscar 101 crew dont like true blue 'merican movies, but only Shuke even had it on his list? We have been through what, 5 top 100 lists of movies of the 80s and only 1 person has it in their top 100?

Unfnbelievable

:rant:

I was 3 years old when this came out. Not exactly the target demographic. I did of course see it later in life and I liked it (it's in my "next 100") but it doesn't resonate as much as other 80s comedies do. Ghostbusters has obvious appeal to kids. Porky's has teets. Fast Times is about young people, etc and also has teets. Caddyshack is about... golf.
Judge Smails is an all timer. Chevy is ok. Dangerfield is pretty good but not my thing. It’s not my favorite Murray. The caddy stuff is awful. It’s got funny bits but is kind of a mess- would probably be in my top 125 though- I still like it.

The caddy stuff is awful?

Please share better Murray than Caddyshack. If you say Ghostbusters i'll toss another flag on the play for intentional delay of game!

Because of our criteria. This keeps coming up and there are a few things at work here.

Myself, I'm not trying to replicate an IMDB top films of the decade list. That's pointless to me. Why bother if this is going to be your criteria. I'd rather see lists of people's favorites, understanding why they are their favorites, etc.

Also, this next 100 list came out of the original thread where a ton of 80s classics were not picked, which is fine because their criteria explained it. That said, a lot of people, myself included, consider the 80s to be the decade of the blockbuster, and many in the original list were either ranked low or left off. Hence this thread was born and at least for me, is heavy on those types of movies.

So it's a combination of going heavy on the types of movies I felt were missing on the first list, and personal favorites. Also, Oscar winning cinema like Harry and the Hendersons.

52Caddyshackshuke - #17

How is Caddyshack not on everyone's list? Sure, the Oscar 101 crew dont like true blue 'merican movies, but only Shuke even had it on his list? We have been through what, 5 top 100 lists of movies of the 80s and only 1 person has it in their top 100?

Unfnbelievable

I was 3 years old when this came out. Not exactly the target demographic. I did of course see it later in life and I liked it (it's in my "next 100") but it doesn't resonate as much as other 80s comedies do. Ghostbusters has obvious appeal to kids. Porky's has teets. Fast Times is about young people, etc and also has teets. Caddyshack is about... golf.
Judge Smails is an all timer. Chevy is ok. Dangerfield is pretty good but not my thing. It’s not my favorite Murray. The caddy stuff is awful. It’s got funny bits but is kind of a mess- would probably be in my top 125 though- I still like it.

Please share better Murray than Caddyshack. If you say Ghostbusters i'll toss another flag on the play for intentional delay of game!

Absolutely Ghostbusters.

52Caddyshackshuke - #17

Unfnbelievable

I was 4 when It came out. It's easily a top 20 for me in the decade....And there are boobs.....also Smails' granddaughter....super hot
Speaking of, I forgot that the actress who played Maggie (Sarah Holcomb) was also the mayor’s underage daughter in Animal House.
And apparently Caddyshack was her last movie (according to IMDB)
Drugs.
Username check out

52Caddyshackshuke - #17

Unfnbelievable

Absolutely Ghostbusters.
Fine. I dont think so, but if you arent into the slappystick aspect of it I get it.

Anything other than Ghostbusters?

Looking at movies that are remaining, I'd say none of them will be very contestable about their inclusion in a top 200. And I'd say most of them would be in most people's top 100, top 50.

52Caddyshackshuke - #17

Unfnbelievable

Yeah who gives a rip about anything with Danny and his family and his GF. So dumb.

Murray is better in Ghostbusters, Rushmore, What About Bob, Lost in Translation, Groundhog Day, Kingpins and a bunch more.

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
52Caddyshackshuke - #17

Unfnbelievable

Yeah who gives a rip about anything with Danny and his family and his GF. So dumb.

Murray is better in Ghostbusters, Rushmore, What About Bob, Lost in Translation, Groundhog Day, Kingpins and a bunch more.
Big Ern!!! I love Kingpin, and Ernie McCracken is one of my favorite antagonists of all time.....Murray was awesome in this role.

52Caddyshackshuke - #17

Unfnbelievable

Big Ern!!! I love Kingpin, and Ernie McCracken is one of my favorite antagonists of all time.....Murray was awesome in this role.

Tanqueray and Tab. Keep 'em comin', sweets, I got a long drive. Do me a favor, will you? Would you mind washing off that perfume before you come back to our table?

incorrect thinking here. For example, only about 70 of MY movies were listed.

incorrect thinking here. For example, only about 70 of MY movies were listed.
Oops.....yea I see that now. The averages...

I still don't see how this movie doesn't make someones 80's list

52Caddyshackshuke - #17

Unfnbelievable

I should probly watch Rushmore again....it was the Anderson movie I hated the least. Maybe I should listen to some Elvis Costello for inspiration.

Never seen it

52Caddyshackshuke - #17

Unfnbelievable

I should probly watch Rushmore again....it was the Anderson movie I hated the least. Maybe I should listen to some Elvis Costello for inspiration.

I think Tennenbaums is my favorite

I’d probably rank them
1. tennenbaums
2. bottle rocket
3. Rushmore
4. Life aquatic
5. Moonrise kingdom
6. Fantastic Mr fox
7. Darjeeling

Have not seen the rest. We get it Wes you’re quirky

I’d probably rank them
1. tennenbaums
2. bottle rocket
3. Rushmore
4. Life aquatic
5. Moonrise kingdom
6. Fantastic Mr fox
7. Darjeeling

Seriously. I have to be in the right mood to watch his movies at this point.

52Caddyshackshuke - #17

Unfnbelievable

I’d probably rank them
1. tennenbaums
2. bottle rocket
3. Rushmore
4. Life aquatic
5. Moonrise kingdom
6. Fantastic Mr fox
7. Darjeeling

I think Grand Budapest is possibly his best all around movie though Rushmore has more sentimental appeal to me given when I saw it. Haven’t seen it or hated it?

52Caddyshackshuke - #17

Unfnbelievable

I’d probably rank them
1. tennenbaums
2. bottle rocket
3. Rushmore
4. Life aquatic
5. Moonrise kingdom
6. Fantastic Mr fox
7. Darjeeling

I think Grand Budapest is possibly his best all around movie though Rushmore has more sentimental appeal to me given when I saw it. Haven’t seen it or hated it?

Haven’t seen it, just not sure I have it in me to watch another one of his movies

52Caddyshackshuke - #17

Unfnbelievable

I’d probably rank them
1. tennenbaums
2. bottle rocket
3. Rushmore
4. Life aquatic
5. Moonrise kingdom
6. Fantastic Mr fox
7. Darjeeling

I've only seen Rushmore, Tennenbaums, and Life Aquatic......I was disappointed with all of em.......I like some quirk, but Anderson turns the quirk meter up to 11, which for me just takes away from the movie......I dunno, maybe I need to revisit and look for deeper meaning in his movies.....but I probly won't.

52Caddyshackshuke - #17

Unfnbelievable

I’d probably rank them
1. tennenbaums
2. bottle rocket
3. Rushmore
4. Life aquatic
5. Moonrise kingdom
6. Fantastic Mr fox
7. Darjeeling

I saw Bottle Rocket after Rushmore (and some others of his). That is not the best way to enjoy Bottle Rocket. I'm sure it's great if you haven't seen any Anderson before, but if you see it after Rushmore and Tennenbaums, it's like, it's the same stuff but not as good.

14. Manhunter
shuke - #6
Scoresman - #33

The introduction of Hannibal Lecter to the big screen. Also the introduction of Will Graham, who was the centerpieces of the underappreciated NBC series Hannibal.

Featuring one of my favorite ever movie scenes using music. This is pretty spoilery if you haven't seen this and are planning to. I highly recommend.
Hell yes. My favorite non-80s 80s movie. This is the only one that kind of breaks my criteria because I saw it well after the 80s after seeing Silence of the Lambs, and instantly loved it.

The only thing that is superior about the 2000s remake was Anthony Hopkins. I love Raph Fiennes as an actor, but Tom Noonan was so damn creepy as Dolarhyde. No comparison to me.

14. Manhunter
shuke - #6
Scoresman - #33

The introduction of Hannibal Lecter to the big screen. Also the introduction of Will Graham, who was the centerpieces of the underappreciated NBC series Hannibal.

Featuring one of my favorite ever movie scenes using music. This is pretty spoilery if you haven't seen this and are planning to. I highly recommend.

It might be hard to catch from the trailer, but that is Succession's Brian Cox playing Lecter.
Great choice. I was hoping this one would make it. Right on about the end music.

I watched this when it came out and thought it was pretty good, I was surprised it wasn't more highly regarded. Then Silence of the Lambs came out and this really got pushed into a corner. I mean no one is going to say there are anywhere near each other in quality, but this one was pretty good on its own merits.

12. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
shuke - #31
Scoresman - #2

Thousands times better than Temple of Doom. The Ford/Connery chemistry is pretty damn good.
I like it slightly better than even Raiders.

When looking at the trilogy, IMO, the action sequences are better, the soundtrack is better, it has the most diverse, exotic locations, and the “artifact” is better. Just a perfect action/adventure movie. This makes my top 10 overall, not just my “next” top 10.

Users who are viewing this thread