What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the #40 best basketball player of all-time? (1 Viewer)

Who is #40?

• Patrick Ewing

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Jason Kidd

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • James Harden

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Russell Westbrook

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Elvin Hayes

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Walt Frazier

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • George Gervin

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Dolph Schayes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kevin McHale

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Frostillicus

Footballguy
1. Michael Jordan (71%)
2. Lebron james (85%).
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (34%).
4. Wilt Chamberlain (31%).
5. Magic Johnson (33%).
6. Larry Bird (44%).
7. Bill Russell (67%).
8. Shaquille O'Neal (31%)
9. Tim Duncan (53%).
10. Hakeem Olajuwon (36%).
11. Kobe Bryant (37%).
12. Oscar Robertson (49%).
13. Stephen Curry (74%).
14. Julius Erving (37%).
15. Moses Malone (38%).
16. Kevin Durant (38%).
17. David Robinson (41%).
18. Jerry West (37%)
19. Charles Barkley (42%).
20. Kevin Garnett (27%).
21. Karl Malone (32%).
22. Elgin Baylor (29%).
23. Nikola Jokic (41%).
24. Giannis Antetokounmpo (45%).
25. Dirk Nowitzki (77%).
26. Scottie Pippen (29%).
27. Bob Pettit (34%).
28. John Stockton (35%).
29. Dwyane Wade (33%).
30. Chris Paul (25%).
31. Allen Iverson (39%).
32. Isiah Thomas (38%).
33. Rick Barry (29%).
34. Bob Cousy (33%).
35. John Havlicek (38%).
36. Steve Nash (25%).
37. George Mikan (31%).
38. Kawhi Leonard (33%).
39. Clyde Drexler (39%).
40. ????????????

Still voting for Harden.

I know he's a D-bag, but this is about the best basketball player and he's the best one left.

I know he's a D-bag, but this is about the best basketball player and he's the best one left.
Part of being the best basketball player is not quitting on your team. I was really torn between Harden and Kidd (his longevity, improvement over time in shooting, and defensive prowess boosts him for me) but went with Kidd because of the team poison that Harden has become. It really taints his legacy for me.

Part of being the best basketball player is not quitting on your team.
Exactly. When rating a player you can't just look at his peak individually, you have to consider the entire package IMO. If Harden is to get extra points for his MVP season, he needs to get just as many negative points for the times that he has taken a big steaming dump on his teammates and wrecked entire seasons with his antics.

Part of being the best basketball player is not quitting on your team. I was really torn between Harden and Kidd (his longevity, improvement over time in shooting, and defensive prowess boosts him for me) but went with Kidd because of the team poison that Harden has become. It really taints his legacy for me.
I don't disagree but I think he's already been dinged enough for all of that. His best five seasons simply based on basketball achievements put him up in the mid-30's range and far surpasses the best seasons of the guys remaining. He also has a good bit of longevity and his advanced stats are top 20 all-time.

Actually, just based on basketball skill and greatest seasons, Harden probably would land around #28-30

Here are all of the quitters, bad teammates and horrible people we have already picked:
#1 Punched teammates in the face in practice
#8 Feuded with teammate and imploded a dynasty
#11 Refused to shoot in a playoff game to prove a point, feuded with #8, possibly committed rape
#21 Committed statutory rape
#26 Refused to take the court because coach didn't call the play for him
#33 Quit on his team in the playoffs

If we can forgive all of that and vote all of the above in based on their basketball achievements, I think it is time to let Harden have his due.

I don't disagree but I think he's already been dinged enough for all of that. His best five seasons simply based on basketball achievements put him up in the mid-30's range and far surpasses the best seasons of the guys remaining. He also has a good bit of longevity and his advanced stats are top 20 all-time.
Perfectly reasonable for you to go that way. It just hasn't been quite enough for me to put him in.

I feel like we've reached James Worthy territory
James Worthy has twice as many All-NBA teams as Kevin McHale. And 10% of the amount of All-NBA teams that Lebron has.

I'm not sure there are two NBA players that have gotten more coastal media shine in the NBA's history as McHale and Worthy.

James Worthy has twice as many All-NBA teams as Kevin McHale. And 10% of the amount of All-NBA teams that Lebron has.

I'm not sure there are two NBA players that have gotten more coastal media shine in the NBA's history as McHale and Worthy.
Worthy was finals MVP in '88. His numbers went up in the post season......Big Game James! Underrated player who was surrounded by other guys who got the limelight.

Still voting for Harden.

I think he’s the best player. Went Ewing though because his floor was higher and he didn’t quit in teams.

Will go harden next.

Went Harden, but not mad that Kidd is leading. I was a big fan of his game (not all the other stuff) He really impressed me how he evolved his game late in his career a lot of great can't take a back seat and he improved his shot.

I think it is time to let Harden have his due.
Agree
I've said it in other threads but James Harden's 14-15 to 19-20 (17-18 and 18-19 especially) seasons are offensively are on par with the best 6 year stretch of any player in NBA history other than Jordan. He is my vote here.
I think he should be 5 spots higher even
I voted for him initially in the mid-30s for a couple picks but saw it was a wasted vote.

Worthy was finals MVP in '88. His numbers went up in the post season......Big Game James! Underrated player who was surrounded by other guys who got the limelight.
I haven't heard a lot of votes for Tony Parker or Paul Pierce and they could have a similar claim except they were, like HOF quality in the regular season too. Even Dumars and Billups could present a similar case.

Jimmy Butler should be No 40, he's way better than all these other guys listed
Total Baller and future Hall of Fame inductee

Alonzo Mourning should be a Top 40-50 player all time

And Wade should be at least No 20
Can't measure heart I guess, much rather have Wade than Karl Malone
What did Malone ever win?

Users who are viewing this thread