What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 44 starts on page 5 (1 Viewer)

Surprised not a single post after the show. I watched it last night but this season may be boring folks. I have no clue why Sarah didn’t play her idol. I know it’s fake but in her exit interview she clearly thought it was real. That’s two people who voted off people that they suspected/knew had idols and seemingly had no thought on what would happen if they did play it. When Brandon played his the girl I don’t even remember didn’t have an idol to play but both had inklings that they’d could get voted yet they still did nothing.

Seriously has been a lot of really poor play and strategy. At least a couple people played idols when they knew they were in trouble. Outside of that a lot of really bad play and stupidity (diving head first at a log and climbing a wet rock).
I watched kind of late so didn't post last night. Not sure what it is about this season. I'm enjoying it but I think they are lacking a good villain this year. Carolyn is nutty as a fruitcake but seems to have a good read on her tribemates. I'm not a fan of Matthew but he's not a villain, just someone super annoying. They had real potential with one tribe's fake idol being another tribe's real idol but that hasn't come into play yet.

I was hoping the result of the 3 person adventure would be they would all join the 3 person tribe, lol. Hate when they show a merge in the previews.

Man they are just really trying hard to make us believe Carolyn wins this whole thing. Getting the first confessional. Insisting she make the merge. Jeff personally coming over to their beach to say "one of you that would have gone home tonight, may go all the way to the end and win this thing now".

Still not sure I can believe it.

Man they are just really trying hard to make us believe Carolyn wins this whole thing. Getting the first confessional. Insisting she make the merge. Jeff personally coming over to their beach to say "one of you that would have gone home tonight, may go all the way to the end and win this thing now".

She can win, probably won't but edit seems to indicate she's going to the end. If not her then Jeff was talking about one of the other two. I would prefer her over either of the other two.

She can win, probably won't but edit seems to indicate she's going to the end. If not her then Jeff was talking about one of the other two. I would prefer her over either of the other two.
FWIW, my take was that exchange was important if tribal was being cancelled. I was not reading too much else into it. On the Carolyn edit, I'm also not reading much into it since she's just so weird and awkward she makes for entertaining TV vs vanilla players. Maybe it is foreshadowing, but maybe it is just milking her entertainment value while she is around. I am inferring more from the Carson edit.

Wonder if they'll bring him back for a future season.

Feel bad for him, but he brought it on himself. Why the hell would you climb a rock like that?
He had an idol, correct? Wonder if he gave it to someone before he left?
He did have an idol. It was weird they didn't show the goodbye, I guess they wanted to keep up the drama of "who's going home in the loser tribe". If I had to guess, they'll show his goodbye early next week and maybe they will show us what happened to his idol. Or perhaps they will keep it secret until a reveal that "person X" has his idol. It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to keep it as a souvenir. I wonder if they will extend him an offer like they did for Bruce. I would say no, because he got hurt by doing something totally unnecessary while Bruce was competing.

This season is ok but is just missing something. Carolyn and Yam Yam stand out the most but I'm not rooting for either of them. I kind of like Danny but he totally mishandled that group situation, I think he and Brandon are toast. Not a fan of Josh. I like Frannie and her boyfriend (Matt?). I like Jamie, and Carson is ok. I can't stand Kane for some reason. I think there is another lady who I really know nothing about.

Wonder if they'll bring him back for a future season.

Feel bad for him, but he brought it on himself. Why the hell would you climb a rock like that?
He had an idol, correct? Wonder if he gave it to someone before he left?
I wonder if they will extend him an offer like they did for Bruce. I would say no, because he got hurt by doing something totally unnecessary while Bruce was competing.
Unlike with Bruce, Jeff didn't say anything on his podcast about inviting Matthew back. Though he did say he does not consider Matthew a quitter in the traditional sense.

That's not to say we won't see Matthew back. But Bruce was a special circumstance because he barely got to play.

I think they have Mathew back, he's the one who made plywood replicas of puzzles/challenges in his backyard. Jeff also mentioned a couple times that the medical staff had been suggesting to Mathew that he should quit and get appropriate medical care.

Agree with above that I think Matthew gave his idol to some one. No idea who, but they seemed to purposely omit it. Not sure if they will ask him back because it was his choice/fault not an accident. It was a long story and they went over it a bunch so they might.

Agree with above that I think Matthew gave his idol to some one. No idea who, but they seemed to purposely omit it.
Per his exit interviews, he was not allowed to go back to his tribe and thus was unable to give his idol to anyone. (He said he would have given it to Kane if he could do it in private, and to Lauren or Brandon to put targets on their backs if he had to do it in public.)

Agree with above that I think Matthew gave his idol to some one. No idea who, but they seemed to purposely omit it.
Per his exit interviews, he was not allowed to go back to his tribe and thus was unable to give his idol to anyone. (He said he would have given it to Kane if he could do it in private, and to Lauren or Brandon to put targets on their backs if he had to do it in public.)
Got it. That’s who I would have guessed he’d give it to, and maybe to Harry Potter. I was thinking he might do that first and then call medical knowing he was probably going home.

I wonder if the Danny/Brandon/Carolyn summit will prove pivotal to how the postmerge plays out.

Danny and Brandon openly talked in front of Carolyn of their desire to form a "strong people's alliance," which presumably doesn't include her.

Carolyn, despite her kookiness, is a savvy superfan. She knows how Lions vs. Hyenas played out on Winners at War.

I can see Carolyn working to form a counter-alliance as soon as the tribes are on one beach.

Could we get Freaks and Geeks (Carolyn/Yam Yam/Carson/Kane/Matt/Frannie) vs. Jocks and their friends (Danny/Brandon/Josh/Lauren/Heidi)? No idea what Jamie would do in this scenario -- but she could be the swing vote since Matt can't vote.

Maryanne and Gabler were being edited as goofballs early on, but then the edit started asking us to take them more seriously.

IMO the player getting this treatment on this season is Matt. We got way more of his strategic perspective this episode than we should have, given that he didn't have a vote.

Does anyone have a reliable height for Jeff Probst? The internet has him at 5'11", but there is no way that is accurate. Every camera shot either has him alone or at an awkward angle so that it is impossible to determine.

Does anyone have a reliable height for Jeff Probst? The internet has him at 5'11", but there is no way that is accurate. Every camera shot either has him alone or at an awkward angle so that it is impossible to determine.
Found a pic of him next to Jon Cryer. Cryer is 5'9" and looks to be taller than Probst.

Maryanne and Gabler were being edited as goofballs early on, but then the edit started asking us to take them more seriously.

IMO the player getting this treatment on this season is Matt. We got way more of his strategic perspective this episode than we should have, given that he didn't have a vote.
Lots of Carson and Caroline too. Makes me think they go far.

Probably. Carolyn is being portrayed as the protagonist of the season so far. Some of that is because she has been to tribal a lot and some of that is because she is probably the best character of the new era, but you've gotta think they wouldn't feature her so prominently if she wasn't important to the endgame.

It’s freeing to watch a season of survivor and not care who gets voted off. Carson is the only one from this bunch to root for, and he’s not in peril anytime soon JMHO.

I think the editing team is having a good time syncing Carolyn's facial expressions with whatever she just said to the camera.
I got a chuckle out of that
BAY-g? really?

I know someone from the upstate NY/Utica region that does this. A bagel is a BEGgle. It's a documented linguistic vowel shift in its earliest stages. A is shifting to E, and Es are shifting to I. In a few hundred years everyone might talk like that :loco:

It’s freeing to watch a season of survivor and not care who gets voted off. Carson is the only one from this bunch to root for, and he’s not in peril anytime soon JMHO.
I don’t know who Carson is yet, but agree with your statement, also because I don’t know who Carson is yet.
thank you.

there's crazy drug rehab woman with the fake boobs. nerdy scientist kid. hopeless crush guy with the dark hair and beard. jam jam? I think that's the only name I've got. and a bunch of non-descript racially diverse young women and men.

I don’t know who Carson is yet, but agree with your statement, also because I don’t know who Carson is yet.
thank you.

there's crazy drug rehab woman with the fake boobs. nerdy scientist kid. hopeless crush guy with the dark hair and beard. jam jam? I think that's the only name I've got. and a bunch of non-descript racially diverse young women and men.
The NY firefighter who likes to do somersaults.

thank you.

isn't there another nerdy dungeons and dragons kid... but just not very smart?

Without cheating and looking, here are the ones I can remember:

• Carolyn - drug counselor lady who is all over the place
  • Carson - nerdy young kid who crushed the puzzle
  • Matt - taller nerd with the curly hair who has the huge crush on Frannie
  • Frannie - the object of Matt's desires (I actually really do hope they make it outside the game, they seem to really like each other more than just a typical Survivor lovefest)
  • Brandon - football player
  • Danny - firefighter
  • Yam Yam - salon owner, other half of the Carolyn crazy duo
  • Jamie - peppy yoga teacher who does the wand thing
  • Heidi - a lady and I know nothing else of her except that she is with...
  • The other lady - is paired up with Heidi
  • Kane - Biggest of the nerds and for some reason, the only person I am really strongly against. Not sure why I just don't care for him.
I think that is it, should be 11 since they started with 12 and got rid of Josh.

A guy named Kane should be a lot cooler than that guy is
He’s a lawyer and he doesn’t seem smart at all. He nerded out with Harry but even Harry has a way better social game than him. I can’t see him going far unless he somehow weasels into a tag along.

• Frannie - the object of Matt's desires (I actually really do hope they make it outside the game, they seem to really like each other more than just a typical Survivor lovefest)
  • Danny - firefighter
  • Kane - Biggest of the nerds and for some reason, the only person I am really strongly against. Not sure why I just don't care for him.
I think that is it, should be 11 since they started with 12 and got rid of Josh.
The other lady is Lauren. We have gotten almost nothing from her since the first episode, where she got an extra vote.

Probably. Carolyn is being portrayed as the protagonist of the season so far. Some of that is because she has been to tribal a lot and some of that is because she is probably the best character of the new era, but you've gotta think they wouldn't feature her so prominently if she wasn't important to the endgame.
You're probably right and that's unfortunate as I'm already pretty tired of her. :loco:

Carson making that puzzle his ##### was pretty impressive..... but in some ways he might have done it too fast.....it had to raise some eyebrows....

it would have for me if I was on the show....puzzles are a staple of the show and there will be many more....

thank you.

isn't there another nerdy dungeons and dragons kid... but just not very smart?
Yes the future not likely to be the lawyer I'd hire lawyer.

• Danny - firefighter
other lady is Lauren right? very distinctive voice. The one who messed up her island trip storytelling.

Carson making that puzzle his ##### was pretty impressive..... but in some ways he might have done it too fast.....it had to raise some eyebrows....

it would have for me if I was on the show....puzzles are a staple of the show and there will be many more....
Yes, that definitely should have raised his target level. The smart play would have been to play it "normal" for 10 minutes or so (earlier if it looked like the other team was making good progress) and then fake a "Eureka" moment and put the rest of it together quickly.

Evvie got booted soon after she did something pretty similar in 41.

Are there any other words that start with a Y but pronounced like the letter J? Yam Yam = Jam Jam? WTF.
The great majority of Germanic languages, such as German, Dutch, Icelandic, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian, use ⟨j⟩ for the palatal approximant /j/, which is usually represented by the letter ⟨y⟩ in English.

Well, that was a rather heartbreaking vote off. Matt seems like a genuinely nice guy and handled his send off very well. Yam Yam also presented himself well during the "what have you learned about yourself" portion. Probably the right strategic call by the 3 however. They picked up Yam Yam's loyalty along with Carolyn.

Poor Frannie, I hope she doesn't blame herself. In hindsight, she probably could have looked over and saw that Matt was outnumbered and she had an easy voteoff on her team with Carolyn, but it didn't dawn on me to do that from the comfort of my own home so I can't expect that food and sleep deprived people out there would do the same. I hope they get together in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread