What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2022 Las Vegas Raiders (1 Viewer)

I ask as the question as it always feels like it's framed as "Would you rather have Derek Carr or Justin Herbert"?

That's not the question.

It's "Would you rather have Derek Carr or Tom Brady or Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold..."

I get the feeling they are going to do what Seattle did. Cut ties with the expensive franchise QB and give the back up the reigns for a year and see how he performs. Seems to have worked out ok for the Seahawks.
The difference between the the two scenarios is the Raiders would be lucky to get anything in return for Carr, whereas Seattle fleeced Denver for Wilson.

The big question though is if Stidham can perform like Geno Smith.

I think we're all being sort of lulled into forgetting how insane it is that Smith has been this good.

I'd be scared to death banking on a Geno Smith 2.0 thing.

The difference between the the two scenarios is the Raiders would be lucky to get anything in return for Carr, whereas Seattle fleeced Denver for Wilson.

You don't think Carr has any trade value?
He does for sure. But is he able/willing to be traded?
Maybe I don’t fully understand the situation but can’t Carr just force the Raiders to cut him? Why would he cooperate with an organization that he may feel did him “dirty” at the end of his tenure and waive his no trade clause?
Couldn’t Carr tell the Raiders “cut me or pay me my $40 mil”? If he’s cut then he’s free to explore all options and won’t handicap his new team by giving up draft picks to get him.

I get the feeling they are going to do what Seattle did. Cut ties with the expensive franchise QB and give the back up the reigns for a year and see how he performs. Seems to have worked out ok for the Seahawks.

I think we're all being sort of lulled into forgetting how insane it is that Smith has been this good.

Oh I hear ya! I just think the way Stidham performed against the 49ers has the organization trending in that direction. The KC game is going to be very interesting and if he plays well again, that might be enough for McD and Ziegler to give Stidham a shot in 2023.

Maybe I don’t fully understand the situation but can’t Carr just force the Raiders to cut him? Why would he cooperate with an organization that he may feel did him “dirty” at the end of his tenure and waive his no trade clause?
Couldn’t Carr tell the Raiders “cut me or pay me my $40 mil”? If he’s cut then he’s free to explore all options and won’t handicap his new team by giving up draft picks to get him.
If he's cut he's not getting $40M next year and maybe he wants to go somewhere else now.

So who then?
I don't want to get rid of Carr right away, so I don't have to come up with fresh options.

I want to get rid of Carr when a good young QB gets picked up from the team. If that's this year, great. If that ship has sailed because they benched him, and they have decided to move on, then McD and his crew have to go out and find a QB.

I am in a weird in-between stage of Raider fans. I want to replace Carr when they have a better option. I don't want to get rid of him, and bring in Tom Brady, so we can become the Indianapolis effing Colts for the next half decade, with fans fooling themselves that another castoff QB is going to lead them to the playoffs.

Fact is, Carr played well enough so that this was a playoff team with a decent defense. When you have a good defense, you start winning with your QB, and suddenly Mike White looks like he might be the answer. I am as much interested in what happens with a defense that hasn't played well since Chester McGlockton was here.

If they do improve the defense, and roll with Stidham, they can just copy and paste the feel good stories about Mike White, and Minshew Magic, and every other scrub who played well for 3 or four games. It'll be the same article fans always falling for, where the QB just has a presence, a way about him, and players are just drawn to him.

I recommend Stidham start growing some unusual facial hair, that will guarantee some positive media coverage.

Last edited:

If he's cut he's not getting $40M next year and maybe he wants to go somewhere else now.
Right, but it’s never been about the money for Carr. If a team gives him something close and he feels good about the organization, he’ll go, especially if it’s to a Super Bowl contender.

And I cannot believe Stidham for a season is an option. Or Brady.

Geez

So who then?
Being a Raiders fan since Black Sunday i understand why Raider fans are still upset about the ''Tuck rule'' , but what i dont get is why are they still so mad at Brady ?
He didnt make the call on the field ,the refs did . Was he supposed to tell the refs the truth, and that it was in fact , a fumble? My dad was the biggest Patriots fan alive so i watched the Patriots from when they sucked to the Brady era to now , and im man enough to admit that Brady is the GOAT , that guy just has the IT factor , all he does is win. Never mind his age , some people can still perform as great as ever well into their 40`s , ive seen many athletes in all sports play at an incredible level past what others would term ''old''. Brady is still winning games like a true champion. Holding a grudge like some have seems just silly . Get over it.

One thing ive learned over the years about the Pats is they have a winning system , and they win with mostly average players and a few really good or great players mixed in. They win because of the system , McDaniel's was and is , a huge part of that system. I think thats why Stidham looks so good in it ,its all he knows . Brady is the master of that system ,but hes so good he can go to an entirely new system and still win a SB . Imagine what he could do back in that system .

Winning cures all that ails a team , im willing to let bygones be bygones for that chance to start winning again .

ok, flame away guys :wink:

Being a Raiders fan since Black Sunday i understand why Raider fans are still upset about the ''Tuck rule'' , but what i dont get is why are they still so mad at Brady ?
He didnt make the call on the field ,the refs did . Was he supposed to tell the refs the truth, and that it was in fact , a fumble? My dad was the biggest Patriots fan alive so i watched the Patriots from when they sucked to the Brady era to now , and im man enough to admit that Brady is the GOAT , that guy just has the IT factor , all he does is win. Never mind his age , some people can still perform as great as ever well into their 40`s , ive seen many athletes in all sports play at an incredible level past what others would term ''old''. Brady is still winning games like a true champion. Holding a grudge like some have seems just silly . Get over it.
No.

ive seen many athletes in all sports play at an incredible level past what others would term ''old''.
You have never seen a QB perform well at this age. Why would any team bet an entire season on him being the first? Why isn't Tampa moving heaven and earth to keep him?
Brady was being written off in 2019 , his last year with the Pats . He went on to Tampa and won a SB. Now hes having an average season for him, which hes had many times in the past and yet still won SB`s in NE . Tampa is in the playoffs , the Raiders are gonna watch from home . I blame some of his less than enthusiastic play this year on his relationship issues , which can mess up anyone , even professional athletes like Brady, he isnt exempt from the emotions of a divorce . I dont care what anyone else thinks , i believe he could go to the Raiders and win . He`s got over 50 wins since turning 40 , the most by a landslide of any other QB who played past 40.

Last edited:
ive seen many athletes in all sports play at an incredible level past what others would term ''old''.
You have never seen a QB perform well at this age. Why would any team bet an entire season on him being the first? Why isn't Tampa moving heaven and earth to keep him?
Brady was being written off in 2019 , his last year with the Pats . He went on to Tampa and won a SB. Now hes having an average season for him, which hes had many times in the past and yet still won SB`s in NE . Tampa is in the playoffs , the Raiders are gonna watch from home . I blame some of his less than enthusiastic play this year on his relationship issues , which can mess up anyone , even professional athletes like Brady, he isnt exempt from the emotions of a divorce . I dont care what anyone else thinks , i believe he could go to the Raiders and win . He`s got over 50 wins since turning 40 , the most by a landslide of any other QB who played past 40.
Brady is special, no doubt but the combined records of every QB to start games after 40 is a cautionary tale.

If he's playing inconsistently this season because of external factors that's another big concern.

If he's playing inconsistently because his offensive line has been injured and inconsistent that is another big concern.

Plus, #### that guy!

Brady is special, no doubt but the combined records of every QB to start games after 40 is a cautionary tale.

If he's playing inconsistently this season because of external factors that's another big concern.

If he's playing inconsistently because his offensive line has been injured and inconsistent that is another big concern.

Plus, #### that guy!
If Brady wasnt the tuck rule QB im guessing you would be open to have him rejoin his SB coach in LV

If the Raiders move in from Carr it should be to build a team, not hope that the 45 year old GOAT can win games for you. I know I sound like a broken record but Carr isn’t great but he’s not the only reason the Raiders had a poor season. They are talent deprived due to poor personnel management.

The Raiders need to trade Carr or keep him another season even though that seems highly unlikely at this point. Only the Raiders would have an asset that is worth a first round draft pick but find a way not to get anything for him in a trade. That tells you all you need to know about the Raiders. Seattle got a kings ransom for Wilson. Wentz is probably a back up at best and he fetched a third round pick. Heck, the Steelers got a second round pick for Claypool and I don’t remember him doing anything this season.

Plus, #### that guy!
If Brady wasnt the tuck rule QB im guessing you would be open to have him rejoin his SB coach in LV
It goes beyond the Tuck Rule for me. As an NFL player I despise him. I would put Eli Manning in the Hall of Fame solely because he denied Brady two more Super Bowls. Foles too. His presence in the league diminishes my ability to enjoy the NFL

I'm sure he's a cool dude, I don't wish him harm, I bet I would enjoy hanging out with him, heck I would actively seek out the opportunity to do so. But I need him to #### off into retirement.

Plus, he's having a bad year. His yardage numbers are gaudy because the Bucs have thrown 50 more passes than the next closest team. He's 30th in the league in Y/A and has a pedestrian 89 QB rating. Don't blame it on the run game either, they were 29th in attempts and 28th in yards, two years ago when they won the Super Bowl. Just as bad last season.

Last thing I want is to watch Tom Brady tarnishing a Raider uniform while he goes full Franco in Seattle or Namath in L.A.

Congrats Tom, now take your trophy's and your noodle arm don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out.

Only the Raiders would have an asset that is worth a first round draft pick but find a way not to get anything for him in a trade. That tells you all you need to know about the Raiders. Seattle got a kings ransom for Wilson. Wentz is probably a back up at best and he fetched a third round pick. Heck, the Steelers got a second round pick for Claypool and I don’t remember him doing anything this season
I don't think Mark Davis is actively involved in personnel decisions. I hope we can give the new F.O. another year to continue developing the roster.

I don't know how the 2022 draft class will shape up over time but their highest pick was Parham (3.25) and he has been a day 1 starter, I have to have a little hope at least.

I ask as the question as it always feels like it's framed as "Would you rather have Derek Carr or Justin Herbert"?

That's not the question.

It's "Would you rather have Derek Carr or Tom Brady or Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold..."

The Raiders aren't my primary team but I do enjoy following them. My opinion is that Carr is the best option the Raiders can realistically hope to compete with if they are going to try to be competitive over the next couple seasons. If they are going to bench/trade Carr, then I think they need to do a complete rebuild.

Personally, I think they have enough talent to compete, should stick with Carr, and fire McDaniels who I believe is the main problem holding the team back.

That's not the question.

The Raiders aren't my primary team but I do enjoy following them. My opinion is that Carr is the best option the Raiders can realistically hope to compete with if they are going to try to be competitive over the next couple seasons. If they are going to bench/trade Carr, then I think they need to do a complete rebuild.

Personally, I think they have enough talent to compete, should stick with Carr, and fire McDaniels who I believe is the main problem holding the team back.
It hasn't exactly taken a lot to hold the Raiders back since 2002.

ETA: And there is not nearly enough talent on defense for this team to be competitive.

Congrats Tom, now take your trophy's and your noodle arm don't let the door hit you in the ### on the way out.

Not gonna argue too much with you about Brady, except to say that noodle arm just scored 37 fantasy points on championship weekend in 4-pt-pass-TD leagues.
Tom Brady doesn't care about your fantasy team.

"Noodle Arm" -

YearTeamCMP%YDSTDINTRating
2022Buccaneers66.64,61024990.4
2021Buccaneers67.55,3164312102.1
2020Buccaneers65.74,6334012102.2

Not gonna argue too much with you about Brady, except to say that noodle arm just scored 37 fantasy points on championship weekend in 4-pt-pass-TD leagues.
Tom Brady doesn't care about your fantasy team.

"Noodle Arm" -

YearTeamCMP%YDSTDINTRating
2022Buccaneers66.64,61024990.4
2021Buccaneers67.55,3164312102.1
2020Buccaneers65.74,6334012102.2
6.4 yards per attempt is 30th in the league. It's his worst output since 2002. 3.4% TD rate is a career low.

He's fine, good even but IMO his days of putting a team his shoulders appear over. He's on the most talented team, by far, in perhaps the worst division in the NFL. It has taken miracle comebacks against Trace McSorley and Sam Darnold to barely eke into the playoffs.

Maybe the defense can keep the Bucs in the playoff game long enough to allow another victory against the Giants, Lions or Seahawks. But would you bet on the Bucs against Dallas or Green Bay?

Any given Sunday and all that but if he can't do it in TB there likely isn't enough talent on the roster in Las Vegas for Brady to be a difference maker at this stage in his career.

If that is the new standard for Brady, the Raiders would be wise to stick with Stidham and Carr.

let's be serious then. how many points does carr score against that niners defense?
That isn't a serious question. We know how you feel it would be but there is nothing to suggest anything near what I am sure you think would have happened. Nothing anyone can say on either side would really be credible.... and if the Raiders and Niners played ten games the scores on all ten games would vary widely.

they do excellent breakdowns of raider games. critical of mcD not being able to put together a complete game on offense.
I think one thing that many of us can agree is that McD is not always a good play caller. Maybe he was thrown off with Walker and Renfrow missing so much time but it’s amazing that the Raiders couldn’t do more on O with Jacobs running so well. Most of us expected the D to struggle but the O seemed to be off even with some really good players in place.
This is so confusing because he called the plays in NE right? I mean... I don't ever recall thinking "that was an odd call" watching any NE games.

they do excellent breakdowns of raider games. critical of mcD not being able to put together a complete game on offense.
I think one thing that many of us can agree is that McD is not always a good play caller. Maybe he was thrown off with Walker and Renfrow missing so much time but it’s amazing that the Raiders couldn’t do more on O with Jacobs running so well. Most of us expected the D to struggle but the O seemed to be off even with some really good players in place.
At the same time we need to give the coaching staff a lot of credit for the performance of the offensive line and, not only, unlocking Jacobs but turning him into Mecha-Jacobs. I don't think anyone truly believed he had this kind of upside.
They have done a great job at stabilizing that line and I can't see how you don't give them credit for Jacobs increased production (though being healthy through the year could be a big part, the last few years he struggled with nagging various injuries).

Let's do a poll within a thread. You can "vote" by choosing one of the "Like" emoji's.

Here's the question: For the 2023 season, should Derek Carr be the Raiders starting QB?

For yes, click the "Like" blue thumbup
For no, click the crying emoji
For not sure, click the "Thinking" emoji
Should? Yes. I still think so. Will? No. I don't think he will be. This was as final a gesture as you can get without actually trading or cutting him to move on from him.

Nothing is his fault in the minds of of the Carr lovers.
This is simply not true. It isn't an either/or situation. I was a big Carr supporter and have called him out multiple times. I have said multiple times that I am fine with moving in from him. I even said McDaniels>Carr.

When you start from a false premise it diminishes your overall point.

Stidham is the Raiders QB, he has my full support. Let's let him actually have an opportunity to become the QB he will be in the NFL. Maybe he's Kurt Warner, maybe he's Taylor Heinicke or maybe he's Matt Flynn. Let's find out.
You are not a blind carr lover. There are many that put Carr ahead of the raiders.
I don't know of anyone in here who is more loyal to Carr than the team. No, not even @Chadstroma
Not even

My post relates to them as raiders. Of course I hope and wish the best for Carr and whoever else once they've moved on.

I know plenty of folks ready to move from Carr.

The obvious question of course becomes, "Who's Next?" It'd be great to get Josh Allen but I'm pretty sure he's staying put.

What are some realistic QBs you'd rather see than Carr?
I don't think this is true. The buzz around Carr has always been that other coaches/execs think highly of him. It is just the Raider fans who think he isn't worth anything. That said... I wonder if the Denver situation will hurt us on what we get. It certainly is a cautionary tale for at least the guaranteed money if not the trade.

History says no... but we always like to look at the exceptions and think we will be the exception as well.

I freely admit I have been wrong about Brady declining for years now.... but eventually I will be right. Old age will get him and we have seen it get other great QBs before where they were playing a high level one year and the next they can't throw it 20 yards down the field. Think Manning and Brees. It would be just too Raider like to go get him and then he absolutely implodes the year we get him. No thanks. If we fail, I want to fail looking for a QB we can build around because even if you add in Brady as he is playing now... the team would improve... we might have made playoffs but we wouldn't go deep. Not with the D playing as is. More so than Carr's playing being on the low end of his career, Jones being our big FA signing was the biggest issue to this team. Outside of Crosby, we can't get pressure on the QB and since Crosby is close lined every play- we need someone else to do something. Jones isn't getting the job done. He is our own version of Wilson with a horrible contract of a declined star that we can't get away from.

My post relates to them as raiders. Of course I hope and wish the best for Carr and whoever else once they've moved on.

The obvious question of course becomes, "Who's Next?" It'd be great to get Josh Allen but I'm pretty sure he's staying put.

Almost anyone. Especially an unknown like stidham. This team needs to make some major changes. If stidham plays well this week, let him start next year and draft a qb.

Nothing is his fault in the minds of of the Carr lovers.
This is simply not true. It isn't an either/or situation. I was a big Carr supporter and have called him out multiple times. I have said multiple times that I am fine with moving in from him. I even said McDaniels>Carr.

When you start from a false premise it diminishes your overall point.

Stidham is the Raiders QB, he has my full support. Let's let him actually have an opportunity to become the QB he will be in the NFL. Maybe he's Kurt Warner, maybe he's Taylor Heinicke or maybe he's Matt Flynn. Let's find out.
You are not a blind carr lover. There are many that put Carr ahead of the raiders.
I don't know of anyone in here who is more loyal to Carr than the team. No, not even @Chadstroma
Allegedly

She’s
I don't think this is true. The buzz around Carr has always been that other coaches/execs think highly of him. It is just the Raider fans who think he isn't worth anything. That said... I wonder if the Denver situation will hurt us on what we get. It certainly is a cautionary tale for at least the guaranteed money if not the trade.
Dude. Take your Carr glasses off. If there was a player that the NFL and the coaches/execs would have as their poster boy, it was wilson. Don’t get on the high horse and say it’s the fans fault that DC is getting a bad rap. Denver got fleeced. Hopefully the raiders can find a victim.

Users who are viewing this thread