What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I am worried about Herschel Walker’s candidacy for the senate; I don’t think he’s up to the job. (1 Viewer)

While watching the badge clip, I couldn't help but think of the kindergarten teacher who pretends she's talking to Trump. This is the best Georgia Republicans could do?
I always wonder how much outside money is used to prop up these names, knowing a lesser (but more qualified0 candidate may not get in.

So is it true that a historically bad Walker debated Warnock to a draw. That seems bad for Warnock
Meh. Who's reporting that? We still have folks who think Trump won the debates over Hillary and even Biden.
NYT

But overall, Mr. Walker held his own after he and his campaign had assiduously tried to lower expectations ahead of the debate.
So he didn't embarrass himself (other than pulling out the fake badge ) = a draw? Where did it say it was a draw in that article?

Sounds like the typical bulling approach debate tactic ala Trump was used by Walker while Warnock tried to hold back. -- I can see how Warnock was in a tough spot where he could have used an attack approach and embarrassed Walker but come off looking bad; so he didn't . So if you score aggressiveness, shouting over top, bringing in fake props etc on equal footing as content, maybe one can surmise a "draw" -- I could watch and make a better determination for myself, but i'd rather watch paint dry.
Lol where did it say “he didn’t embarrass himself”?.

When you hold your own against an opponent that generally means the game was close…and this was the times! stop looking at everything through partisan eyes.

So is it true that a historically bad Walker debated Warnock to a draw. That seems bad for Warnock
Meh. Who's reporting that? We still have folks who think Trump won the debates over Hillary and even Biden.
NYT

But overall, Mr. Walker held his own after he and his campaign had assiduously tried to lower expectations ahead of the debate.
So he didn't embarrass himself (other than pulling out the fake badge ) = a draw? Where did it say it was a draw in that article?

Sounds like the typical bulling approach debate tactic ala Trump was used by Walker while Warnock tried to hold back. -- I can see how Warnock was in a tough spot where he could have used an attack approach and embarrassed Walker but come off looking bad; so he didn't . So if you score aggressiveness, shouting over top, bringing in fake props etc on equal footing as content, maybe one can surmise a "draw" -- I could watch and make a better determination for myself, but i'd rather watch paint dry.

When you hold your own against an opponent that generally means the game was close…and this was the times! stop looking at everything through partisan eyes.
Your take of "held his own" = draw (~your partisan eyes) --- not what I took away from it --but alas neither of us watched it so we're both not fully informed on this to argue

I always wonder how much outside money is used to prop up these names, knowing a lesser (but more qualified0 candidate may not get in.
Who knows how the Plinko chip bounced in this instance, but you're right. People with money and power decided to push this guy on Georgia Republicans. Between his name recognition and alignment with Trump, it probably seemed like an easy sell.

It's up to the voters to decide. Republicans need to disavow MAGA and Democrats need to disavow Wokeism. Right now moderates are being forced to repudiate the hot garbage the bases from both sides are sending to the generals. I'm a moderate liberal who won't vote MAGA. You're a moderate conservative who won't vote Woke. Hopefully after enough losses the bases will realize a need to shift gears and send us better candidates.

It's up to the voters to decide. Republicans need to disavow MAGA and Democrats need to disavow Wokeism. Right now moderates are being forced to repudiate the hot garbage the bases from both sides are sending to the generals. I'm a moderate liberal who won't vote MAGA. You're a moderate conservative who won't vote Woke. Hopefully after enough losses the bases will realize a need to shift gears and send us better candidates.
I understand some of the woke stuff is over the top, but IMO, its nowhere near the level of MAGA concern.

I normally agree with a lot of what Maher says - here I agree with him that the GOP being willing to vote for a candidate like Walker shows how much disdain they have for liberalism and what many of them call wokeness. But I don’t think he does a good job of explaining why Walker won the nomination. Similarly with Trump - once he is the nominee is (sort of) makes sense to me why someone would vote for him. But it makes ZERO sense why Walker or Trump would get the nomination - except one thing, the GOP has been taken over by a group of people that simply don’t give a damn about our country and all the people - they just want their way like a bunch of small children.

@Joe Bryant - Why would you use the crying emoji on this post? Perhaps I should have been more explicit, but have you never heard of The Righteous Gemstones? It's got an all-star cast, great writing, Emmy nominations, and it's hilarious. Does it make fun of the Joel Osteen / Jerry Falwell types? Sure does, but I think you agree they aren't representative of what you think Christianity should be.

Because I think it's sad we Christians give people reason to laugh at us that much.

I totally get it that you think it's funny and awesome there's that much to laugh about.

I don't.

And yes, it would be great if people didn't use the fringe examples to make generalizations about the whole group.

But we all know that happens and it quickly spirals down to "I'd rather just donate to my local food bank, where I know that it's going to help people that need it, than helping to pay for Joel Osteen's house"

So forgive me if I find that not hilarious. :shrug:

@Joe Bryant - Why would you use the crying emoji on this post? Perhaps I should have been more explicit, but have you never heard of The Righteous Gemstones? It's got an all-star cast, great writing, Emmy nominations, and it's hilarious. Does it make fun of the Joel Osteen / Jerry Falwell types? Sure does, but I think you agree they aren't representative of what you think Christianity should be.

Because I think it's sad we Christians give people reason to laugh at us that much.

I totally get it that you think it's funny and awesome there's that much to laugh about.

I don't.

And yes, it would be great if people didn't use the fringe examples to make generalizations about the whole group.

But we all know that happens and it quickly spirals down to "I'd rather just donate to my local food bank, where I know that it's going to help people that need it, than helping to pay for Joel Osteen's house"

You're right it isn't hilarious but sad that religion has brought itself to this point.

I don't.

The show was pretty funny (although the same routine gets old), but I totally understand this pov.

I don't.

I think you're misunderstanding something. I'm not saying "Christians are funny". I'm saying the TV show The Righteous Gemstones is funny. It would be funny if it didn't have any parallels to actual, real Christian preachers. Just like Monty Python's Holy Grail was funny even though I don't really think most of those things happened and the movie Space Balls was funny even though none of those things actually happened.

Who knows how the Plinko chip bounced in this instance, but you're right. People with money and power decided to push this guy on Georgia Republicans. Between his name recognition and alignment with Trump, it probably seemed like an easy sell.
Plinko chip, I like it - and very appropriate.

I don't.

I totally get your POV here, unfortunately the fringe run everything. If you don’t comply, the cancel culture come in. It is both sides also.

I normally agree with a lot of what Maher says - here I agree with him that the GOP being willing to vote for a candidate like Walker shows how much disdain they have for liberalism and what many of them call wokeness. But I don’t think he does a good job of explaining why Walker won the nomination. Similarly with Trump - once he is the nominee is (sort of) makes sense to me why someone would vote for him. But it makes ZERO sense why Walker or Trump would get the nomination - except one thing, the GOP has been taken over by a group of people that simply don’t give a damn about our country and all the people - they just want their way like a bunch of small children.
Warnock is a leftist. not a liberal. walker is better than Warnock. when it comes to not giving a damn about people, leftists would shrink the population to a billion.

I think you're misunderstanding something. I'm not saying "Christians are funny". I'm saying the TV show The Righteous Gemstones is funny. It would be funny if it didn't have any parallels to actual, real Christian preachers. Just like Monty Python's Holy Grail was funny even though I don't really think most of those things happened and the movie Space Balls was funny even though none of those things actually happened.

Sorry. I think I understand your point clearly. You asked why I used the sad emoji.

It would be awesome if people didn't use the fringe examples to make generalizations about the whole group.

But we all know that happens and it quickly spirals down to "I'd rather just donate to my local food bank, where I know that it's going to help people that need it, than helping to pay for Joel Osteen's house". :shrug:

That's the problem. Voters on the extremes are more likely to show up for the primaries, as I understand it, so we get extreme candidates for the general election. I've moved from moderate-right to moderate-left over the last few years, and it's a struggle finding appealing candidates to vote for (nationally, and here in Illinois with our crappy politics).

NYT

Your take of "held his own" = draw (~your partisan eyes) --- not what I took away from it --but alas neither of us watched it so we're both not fully informed on this to argue

C.J.
Toby, I'm absolutely terrified we're going to lose the expectations game. I can't believe how many times I get asked what would be a win in the debates. At this point I feel like if -- and only if -- Ritchie accidentally lights his podium on fire does the President have a fighting chance.

TOBY
I disagree.

C.J.
Disagree all you want, but I'm right.

TOBY
These two men are going to be side by side on the stage, answering questions. That's the ball game.

C.J.
If the whole thing is, he can't tie his shoelaces and it turns out he can, then that is the ball game.

TOBY
And I believe he'll have to do more than tie his shoelaces.

C.J.
Not much more.

Sorry. I think I understand your point clearly. You asked why I used the sad emoji.

It would be awesome if people didn't use the fringe examples to make generalizations about the whole group.

But we all know that happens and it quickly spirals down to "I'd rather just donate to my local food bank, where I know that it's going to help people that need it, than helping to pay for Joel Osteen's house". :shrug:
Who is making generalizations? I'm certainly not. Literally my entire point is "The Righteous Gemstones is a funny show" and you used the sad emoji on that. If anyone is making generalizations, it's you, apparently thinking that the TV show stands for what everyone else thinks about Christianity.

Who is making generalizations?

Posted above:

"I'd rather just donate to my local food bank, where I know that it's going to help people that need it, than helping to pay for Joel Osteen's house"

And to be clear, I'm not offended in the least. I'm used to it. I was just asked why I used the sad emoji and gave an answer.

And to be clear, I'm not offended in the least. I'm used to it. I was just asked why I used the sad emoji and gave an answer.
Maybe you should use your emojis on the posts that engender the reaction instead of completely different posts. That would likely create less confusion.

That's the problem. Voters on the extremes are more likely to show up for the primaries, as I understand it, so we get extreme candidates for the general election. I've moved from moderate-right to moderate-left over the last few years, and it's a struggle finding appealing candidates to vote for (nationally, and here in Illinois with our crappy politics).
It will take some time, and consistent losses of extreme candidates, for the parties to shift gears. Repudiation of MAGA candidates in a couple weeks would be a good start.

Maybe you should use your emojis on the posts that engender the reaction instead of completely different posts. That would likely create less confusion.
You're really trying to grind him down over an emoji. He doesn't have a sense of humor about things related to his faith, but there was nothing wrong with what you said. No biggie both ways. Just move on.
I’d disagree, Rich came off like an *******, but that’s not new.
Yes, the owner of the board asked all posters not to use emojis that aren't responsive to the post in question and when I asked that very same person why he did so, I'm the *******. Makes sense.
Of course it was in response to and related to your post. And when you asked and he provided the context you made it about you and not the point he made. It wasn’t about you Rich it was about how shows like RG feed stereotypes and biases about something Joe is affiliated with.

You can’t accept that and don’t want to try to understand that because you have a raging angry hard on for the site owner. It’s sad.

Of course it was in response to and related to your post. And when you asked and he provided the context you made it about you and not the point he made. It wasn’t about you Rich it was about how shows like RG feed stereotypes and biases about something Joe is affiliated with.

You can’t accept that and don’t want to try to understand that because you have a raging angry hard on for the site owner. It’s sad.
You couldn't be more wrong. I asked Joe multiple times to clarify and each time he referred not to the post in question but to someone else's post entirely. I think Joe is a good guy, really. I also think he's very poor at expressing himself here because he gets overly defensive every time he's called out in the slightest.

In my case, I get annoyed when people try to slyly allude to a point they want to make without saying it outright. Call it a personal failing if you will, but I'm going to call it out, especially in people I otherwise like and respect.

I didn't see the Warnock v Walker debate but some of my Georgia friends said Walker did extremely well and may have even won the debate. Waiting on the Oz v Fetterman debate to make my decision here in PA.

I’d disagree, Rich came off like an *******, but that’s not new.
I was just referring to the original comment about the TV show. The grinding since then is no bueno.
Yes I agree the comment was fine. And to be clear I watched the show and it was very funny.

But if I post something about laughing at a show with people running around in blackface looking like fools…and a black person puts a sad emoji on the post.

And then they explain why it makes them sad. I’d listen and understand and not go i-beserk

You couldn't be more wrong. I asked Joe multiple times to clarify and each time he referred not to the post in question but to someone else's post entirely.

I"m sorry as I really don't know how I can be more clear. You asked why I used the sad emoji.

I said as clearly as I could that it makes me sad we give people reason to laugh at us.

And that this kind of thing leads to generalizations like people won't give to a church because they say that's funding Joel Osteens house.

You asked me a question and I answered as honestly as I could. That's not being called out and that's not defensive. I am sorry you don't like the answer but there's not much I can do about that.

That's about all I've got on this one.

I said as clearly as I could that it makes me sad we give people reason to laugh at us.
I'm really trying to understand here. Who is "laughing at Christians" with regard to The Righteous Gemstones?

I can't speak for everyone, but when I laugh at that show, and I do, I'm not "laughing at Christians". I'm laughing at the absurd situations that the characters get themselves into. I'm laughing at Danny McBride's unique brand of over the top acting delivery. That the show happens to be about a Christian family is completely irrelevant and I'd laugh just as much if it were about a different religion or atheists.

It will take some time, and consistent losses of extreme candidates, for the parties to shift gears. Repudiation of MAGA candidates in a couple weeks would be a good start.
you would of thought 2020 maybe would of began the shift. on the right, Trump lost, then they lost Georgia. On the left, an 80 year old Biden beat the liberals of the party. Then in NYC, Adams became mayor being pro law enforcement vs candidates being endorsed by AOC. Yet, here we are .

I didn't see the Warnock v Walker debate but some of my Georgia friends said Walker did extremely well and may have even won the debate. Waiting on the Oz v Fetterman debate to make my decision here in PA.

If Oz wasn't a Trump supporter I would give him consideration. Unfortunately supporting the traitorous former POTUS is a non-starter for me -- Fettermen has my vote by default.

If Oz wasn't a Trump supporter I would give him consideration. Unfortunately supporting the traitorous former POTUS is a non-starter for me -- Fettermen has my vote by default.

Your vote. The debate is really important to me. I can't vote for a guy that is physically and mentally unfit to perform the duties of the job.

Your vote. The debate is really important to me. I can't vote for a guy that is physically and mentally unfit to perform the duties of the job.
Herschel thinks he’s a cop and ran 6 hospitals.

I wouldn't vote for Herschel Walker, but I don't live in GA so my opinion on that race isn't really relevant.

We’ve established there are cognitive issues with Walker, Fetterman and Biden that most moderate people feel impact their ability to serve. However, there is a pack of posters here that only want to focus on Walker. What is the difference between Walker and the others? Hmmm.

🤔

We’ve established there are cognitive issues with Walker, Fetterman and Biden that most moderate people feel impact their ability to serve. However, there is a pack of posters here that only want to focus on Walker. What is the difference between Walker and the others? Hmmm.

🤔
What?

I wouldn't vote for Herschel Walker, but I don't live in GA so my opinion on that race isn't really relevant.
Let's be honest..you aren't voting for Fetterman regardless of what happens in the debate. I assume you will vote Oz or not vote, vote 3rd party in that race?

Users who are viewing this thread