What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden:“I Don’t Think That A Woman Has The Sole Right To Say What Should Happen To Her Body.” (5/4/22 17:30PST) (1 Viewer)

GordonGekko

Footballguy
Direct Headline: Abortion has long been complicated for Biden, now he leads the fight

Joe Biden became a senator in 1973, just 17 days before the Supreme Court decided the landmark abortion rights case Roe v. Wade. Soon after, the young senator, a practicing Catholic, told an interviewer that he disagreed with the decision and that he had views on such matters that made him “about as liberal as your grandmother.”...“I don’t like the Supreme Court decision on abortion. I think it went too far,” he concluded in 1974. “I don’t think that a woman has the sole right to say what should happen to her body.”

(CONTRAST)

“The idea that we’re going to make a judgment that is going to say that no one can make the judgment to choose to abort a child, based on a decision by the Supreme Court, I think, goes way overboard,” Biden said on Tuesday (5/3/22) in reaction to a leaked Supreme Court draft opinion proposing to overturn Roe v. Wade.“It concerns me a great deal that we’re going to, after 50 years, decide a woman does not have a right to choose,”....

“For Joe Biden, his gap from the institutional leadership of the church in this country and also in the Vatican is widening,” said Massimo Faggioli, a Villanova University theology professor and author of “Joe Biden and Catholicism in the United States.”.... “Because politically, he has to defend Roe v. Wade, to legislate on it probably. That will expose him to even more accusations that he’s a heretic, he’s not a Catholic, and that all Catholics who voted for him are heretics.”...

by Matt Viser The Washington Post  May 4, 2022

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2022-05-03/abortion-biden-fight-5887314.html

Direct Headline: When Joe Biden Voted to Let States Overturn Roe v. Wade

The amendment — which the National Abortion Rights Action League called “the most devastating attack yet on abortion rights” — cleared a key hurdle in the Senate Judiciary Committee in March 1982. Support came not only from Republicans but from a 39-year-old, second-term Democrat: Joseph R. Biden Jr.

But some of Mr. Biden’s more moderate-to-conservative stances in his legislative record are raising questions in the party about whether he could win over an ascendant liberal wing eager to impose purity tests around issues of race and gender in 2020.....Even before announcing a candidacy, Mr. Biden has started trying to rebut those concerns, telling party officials in Delaware this month that he has “the most progressive record” of anyone running for president....

Mr. Biden is already facing criticism from some women’s rights activists over his aggressive questioning of Anita Hill during the Supreme Court confirmation hearings of Judge Clarence Thomas in 1991. Mr. Biden’s comment Tuesday that he wished he “could have done something” to give Ms. Hill’s claims of sexual harassment a more respectful hearing drew fierce backlash from critics, who pointed out that Mr. Biden was chairman of the Senate committee that questioned Ms. Hill. Some women’s rights leaders say Mr. Biden must offer a stronger and more personal apology to Ms. Hill, as well as clarify his views on a broad range of issues including sexual assault, harassment and Republicans’ efforts to limit abortion access.

1) In 1981, he crafted the Biden amendment to ban the use of foreign aid for biomedical research related to abortion.

2) He repeatedly voted for the so-called Hyde amendment prohibiting the use of federal funds for abortion, including through Medicaid.....

3) In 1984, Mr. Biden supported an amendment praising the Reagan administration’s “Mexico City policy,” which banned federal funding for organizations around the world that provide abortion counseling or referrals.....

4) When Republicans began introducing legislation in the 1990s that would outlaw a rare abortion procedure they termed “partial-birth abortion,” Mr. Biden emerged as a reliable ally. He voted for the ban, and then against efforts by President Clinton to veto the legislation in 1996 and 1998.....

5) In 2003, he backed a third ban that included no exception for the health of the mother, sponsored by Senator Rick Santorum, Republican of Pennsylvania. That law moved through the courts for several years before being upheld by the Supreme Court in April 2007....

By Lisa Lerer March 29, 2019

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/us/politics/biden-abortion-rights.html

Direct Headline: Joe Biden’s Anti-Abortion Past (and Present) Is Haunting His Candidacy

The former vice president’s continued support for the Hyde Amendment, which bans federal funding except in extreme cases, is only the beginning...Back in 1994, then-Senator Joe Biden wrote a letter to a constituent who had contacted his office with a request. “Please don’t force me to pay for abortions against my conscience,” he said. Biden assured the man he understood, promising that any position he would take on abortion in the U.S. Senate would be guided by his conviction that those who oppose abortion should not be compelled to pay for them. That was 25 years ago, but Biden’s campaign indicated that he continues to hold the position today, confirming that the former vice president — unlike the majority of his rivals for the 2020 nomination — does not support repealing the Hyde Amendment, despite a recent remark to the contrary.

In ’94 Biden boasted to have voted against federal funding for abortion “on no fewer than 50 occasions;among those was a vote in 1977 against allowing Medicaid to pay for abortions for victims of rape and incest. When that bill succeeded anyway, Biden voted to remove the exceptions again in a separate bill, passed in 1981, that NBC calls “the most far-reaching ban on federal funds ever enacted by Congress.” That same year, Biden supported the constitutional amendment empowering states to overturn Roe. Two years later, in 1983, Biden opposed allowing insurers to cover all abortions for federal employees, except if the mother’s life was at-risk....

The most surprising revelation in the NBC News report, though, was the news that Biden continues, to this day, to support the Hyde Amendment — a ban on federal funding for abortion except in the cases of rape, incest or if the mother’s life is threatened. It is particularly significant considering the former vice president publicly took the opposite position just last month. “Yes,” Biden replied on May 4th when asked directly by a volunteer with the ACLU whether he would commit to abolishing the Hyde Amendment while in Columbia, South Carolina. “Right now it has to be,” he said. “It can’t stay.”

“There’s no political or ideological excuse for Joe Biden’s support for the Hyde Amendment, which translates into discrimination against poor women and women of color plain and simple,” Ilyse Hogue, president of pro-choice group NARAL, said in a statement. “His position further endangers women and families already facing enormous hurdles and creates two classes of rights for people in this country, which is inherently undemocratic.”....

By Tessa Stuart June 5, 2019 4:52PM ET

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/joe-biden-anti-abortion-past-present-president-candidate-842314/

Direct Headline: Meet The Democrats Who Voted For DOMA Back When It Was Popular

DOMA (Defense Of Marriage Act), which forbids the U.S. government from recognizing same-sex relationships defined by the states, has been a thorn in the side of the gay rights movement since its passage in 1996...As a result of DOMA, people engaged in same-sex marriages receive none of the financial and institutional benefits that the federal government gives to straight married couples, including favorable taxation, various protections, estate tax and gift treatment as well as a host of other goods and services. ...The thing is, DOMA wouldn't even be on the books if it weren't for the votes of several (now rather embarassed) Democrats.

Still, here are some notable Democrats who voted for DOMA in 1994, with their current position listed:

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y)

Vice President Joe Biden (D-Del.)

https://www.businessinsider.com/democrats-who-voted-for-doma-2013-3

- Biden says, “I don’t think that a woman has the sole right to say what should happen to her body.”

- Biden voted to let states over turn Roe V Wade

- Biden was a long standing voter for the Hyde Amendment, banning federal funds for abortion

- Biden supported Reagan's Mexico City Policy, which bans federal funding to be used overseas for the purpose of aiding abortion

- Biden voted to ban partial birth abortions

- Biden voted for and supported an abortion ban that removed exceptions based on the health/safety of the mother

- Biden voted for the Defense Of Marriage Act ( which is essentially voting against same sex marriages)

- Media outlets have investigated and dug up where Biden lied in correspondence to his own constituents in his district, later in his political career, saying their tax dollars would not be used to support abortion, but yet again, he lied and lied and lied when it was politically expedient to do so.

- Biden is on record voting against using federal funding for abortion over 50+ times while in the Senate.

- Biden voted against Medicaid using it's funding to pay for abortions for victims of rape and incest

- Biden voted against and opposed insurers covering the basic expenses of abortions for federal employees

- Biden talks about the rights and dignity of women but doesn't address allowing Anita Hill to be used like a human speed bump during Clarence Thomas' confirmation hearings. This also doesn't deal with the multiple accusations of him touching women when they aren't receptive and the egregious and public hair sniffing.

- Biden refuses to address the issue that his support of the Hyde Amendment for decades, has been accused of disproportionately creating harm for women in poverty and minority women, against the backdrop that he wrote the 94 Crime Bill, which disproportionately targeted Black America for incarceration while proudly shouting out that he would never want his own children near "those racial jungles" while opposing busing.

- Biden is on record saying that life "begins at conception" then later says something entire different in that he doesn't agree that life begins at conception, once it became politically expedient to do so.

All this is on record and will be dragged into the national daily media cycle before the Mid Terms and before the 2024 general cycle if Biden even lasts that long.

It's beyond mind boggling that there are radical leftists here in the PSF and out in the big bad world who want to demonize Conservatives and Republicans and the GOP for having no regard for the rights of women and their right to choose, when it's very clear Joe Biden is quite possibly the most sterling example of an elected official with no regard for the rights of women ( Think about all the 11 and 12 year old little brown girls getting gang raped and sodomized in Afghanistan and at the Southern Border right now because of Biden's idiotic policy decisions) and their right to choose.

I'll leave this here for others to discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:
CONTEXTUAL MATERIAL:

Direct Headline: A Man Of Contradictions

In a statement released by the White House (January 21st 2022), Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris pledged to defend a so-called right to abortion. “The constitutional right established in Roe v. Wade nearly 50 years ago today is under assault as never before....It is a right we believe should be codified into law, and we pledge to defend it with every tool we possess. We are deeply committed to protecting access to health care, including reproductive health care — and to ensuring that this country is not pushed backwards on women’s equality,”....Biden and Harris condemned efforts by pro-life lawmakers to enact restrictions on abortion, saying, “In Texas, Mississippi, and many other states around the country, access to reproductive health care is under attack. These state restrictions constrain the freedom of all women,”...

.....During his long career in the Senate, Biden repeatedly voted for legislation that would prevent the taxpayer funding of abortion. Now he fully supports it....In his 2012 vice-presidential debate with fellow Catholic Paul Ryan and in a 2015 interview with America — he stated as “a matter of faith” he believes that life begins at conception. But last September, replying to a reporter’s question about the Texas Heart­beat law, Biden said that while he “respects” people who believe life begins at conception, “I don’t agree.”....

For political expediency, Biden has changed his stripes to the beliefs of the Democratic Party over the eternal truths of his Church....

RICHARD A. SOKERKA January 27, 2022

https://rcdop.org/news/a-man-of-contradictions

Direct Headline: FLASHBACK: Biden backed amendment to overturn Roe v. Wade as a senator

But back in the early 1980s, Biden – who was then a U.S. Senator from Delaware – sang a different tune. In 1982, he signed a proposed amendment by Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, that sought to reverse Roe v. Wade....."A right to abortion is not secured by this Constitution," read the Human Life Federalism Amendment. "The Congress and several States shall have the concurrent power to restrict and prohibit abortions: Provided, That a law of a State which is more restrictive than a law of Congress shall govern."....The Senate Judiciary Committee, on which Biden was then a ranking minority member, voted 10-7 for this resolution.

Bradford Betz May 3, 2022, 3:37 PM

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/flashback-biden-backed-amendment-overturn-223723012.html

Direct Headline: What Joe Biden Hasn’t Owned Up to About Anita Hill

Biden evidently hoped to neutralize any lingering political damage from his chairing of the 1991 Senate confirmation hearings where Hill accused Clarence Thomas, then a Supreme Court nominee, of sexually harassing her. Thomas forcefully denied her account. As Biden presided, the hearings devolved into a shocking showdown in which Thomas and his defenders did all they could to degrade Hill’s character and destroy her credibility, accusing her, with no real evidence, of being a liar, a fantasist, and an erotomaniac.

In Hill’s view, Biden had “set the stage” for the hearings in which Kavanaugh, like Thomas, was narrowly confirmed after his defenders trashed his accuser’s credibility and dismissed her allegations without a thorough investigation....Rather than heeding Hill’s call for a fuller mea culpa, Biden instead dug himself in deeper during a visit to ABC’s morning show “The View,” on Friday. Predictably, Biden was asked if he should have given Hill a fuller and more personal apology. Biden again stopped short of blaming himself, saying, “I did everything in my power to do what I thought was within the rules.” He then added, “I don’t think I treated her badly.”

“They came with a purpose, and that purpose was to destroy Anita Hill. Democrats did not coordinate and they did not prepare for battle. I think he would say that that’s what should be done differently.”...Among the most consequential concessions Biden made to Thomas’s team was his agreement that the committee would only examine Thomas’s behavior in the workplace rather than outside of it. ....

By Jane Mayer April 27, 2019

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/what-joe-biden-hasnt-owned-up-to-about-anita-hill

Direct Headline: Joe Biden Denounces Hyde Amendment, Reversing His Position

Joseph R. Biden Jr., the presumed front-runner for the Democratic nomination, denounced his past support of the Hyde Amendment, saying he could not support a measure that bans federal funding for most abortions....The former vice president, who generally resists expressing contrition for the views he held in the past, noted that he made “no apologies for the last position.”

....More recently, several women have come forward saying they were uncomfortable with the way Biden touched them. “I feel Joe Biden put his hands on my shoulders, get up very close to me from behind, lean in, smell my hair and then plant a slow kiss on the top of my head.”...

...The Hyde Amendment, named for former Representative Henry Hyde, a Republican from Illinois, was first passed in 1976 and is renewed every year, with occasional changes to the list of exceptions. It bans federal funding of abortion, with exceptions for rape, incest and the life of the mother, and it affects Medicaid funding of abortion, leading critics to argue that the measure puts a disproportionate burden on poor women and women of color.....

By Katie Glueck June 6, 2019

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/us/politics/joe-biden-hyde-amendment.html

Direct Headline: Abortion has long been complicated for Biden, now he leads the fight

Joe Biden became a senator in 1973, just 17 days before the Supreme Court decided the landmark abortion rights case Roe v. Wade. Soon after, the young senator, a practicing Catholic, told an interviewer that he disagreed with the decision and that he had views on such matters that made him “about as liberal as your grandmother.”...“I don’t like the Supreme Court decision on abortion. I think it went too far,” he concluded in 1974. “I don’t think that a woman has the sole right to say what should happen to her body.”

(CONTRAST)

“The idea that we’re going to make a judgment that is going to say that no one can make the judgment to choose to abort a child, based on a decision by the Supreme Court, I think, goes way overboard,” Biden said on Tuesday (5/3/22) in reaction to a leaked Supreme Court draft opinion proposing to overturn Roe v. Wade.“It concerns me a great deal that we’re going to, after 50 years, decide a woman does not have a right to choose,”....

“For Joe Biden, his gap from the institutional leadership of the church in this country and also in the Vatican is widening,” said Massimo Faggioli, a Villanova University theology professor and author of “Joe Biden and Catholicism in the United States.”.... “Because politically, he has to defend Roe v. Wade, to legislate on it probably. That will expose him to even more accusations that he’s a heretic, he’s not a Catholic, and that all Catholics who voted for him are heretics.”...

by Matt Viser The Washington Post  May 4, 2022

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2022-05-03/abortion-biden-fight-5887314.html

Direct Headline: When Joe Biden Voted to Let States Overturn Roe v. Wade

The amendment — which the National Abortion Rights Action League called “the most devastating attack yet on abortion rights” — cleared a key hurdle in the Senate Judiciary Committee in March 1982. Support came not only from Republicans but from a 39-year-old, second-term Democrat: Joseph R. Biden Jr.

But some of Mr. Biden’s more moderate-to-conservative stances in his legislative record are raising questions in the party about whether he could win over an ascendant liberal wing eager to impose purity tests around issues of race and gender in 2020.....Even before announcing a candidacy, Mr. Biden has started trying to rebut those concerns, telling party officials in Delaware this month that he has “the most progressive record” of anyone running for president....

Mr. Biden is already facing criticism from some women’s rights activists over his aggressive questioning of Anita Hill during the Supreme Court confirmation hearings of Judge Clarence Thomas in 1991. Mr. Biden’s comment Tuesday that he wished he “could have done something” to give Ms. Hill’s claims of sexual harassment a more respectful hearing drew fierce backlash from critics, who pointed out that Mr. Biden was chairman of the Senate committee that questioned Ms. Hill. Some women’s rights leaders say Mr. Biden must offer a stronger and more personal apology to Ms. Hill, as well as clarify his views on a broad range of issues including sexual assault, harassment and Republicans’ efforts to limit abortion access.

1) In 1981, he crafted the Biden amendment to ban the use of foreign aid for biomedical research related to abortion.

2) He repeatedly voted for the so-called Hyde amendment prohibiting the use of federal funds for abortion, including through Medicaid.....

3) In 1984, Mr. Biden supported an amendment praising the Reagan administration’s “Mexico City policy,” which banned federal funding for organizations around the world that provide abortion counseling or referrals.....

4) When Republicans began introducing legislation in the 1990s that would outlaw a rare abortion procedure they termed “partial-birth abortion,” Mr. Biden emerged as a reliable ally. He voted for the ban, and then against efforts by President Clinton to veto the legislation in 1996 and 1998.....

5) In 2003, he backed a third ban that included no exception for the health of the mother, sponsored by Senator Rick Santorum, Republican of Pennsylvania. That law moved through the courts for several years before being upheld by the Supreme Court in April 2007....

By Lisa Lerer March 29, 2019

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/us/politics/biden-abortion-rights.html

Direct Headline: Joe Biden’s Anti-Abortion Past (and Present) Is Haunting His Candidacy

The former vice president’s continued support for the Hyde Amendment, which bans federal funding except in extreme cases, is only the beginning...Back in 1994, then-Senator Joe Biden wrote a letter to a constituent who had contacted his office with a request. “Please don’t force me to pay for abortions against my conscience,” he said. Biden assured the man he understood, promising that any position he would take on abortion in the U.S. Senate would be guided by his conviction that those who oppose abortion should not be compelled to pay for them. That was 25 years ago, but Biden’s campaign indicated that he continues to hold the position today, confirming that the former vice president — unlike the majority of his rivals for the 2020 nomination — does not support repealing the Hyde Amendment, despite a recent remark to the contrary.

In ’94 Biden boasted to have voted against federal funding for abortion “on no fewer than 50 occasions;among those was a vote in 1977 against allowing Medicaid to pay for abortions for victims of rape and incest. When that bill succeeded anyway, Biden voted to remove the exceptions again in a separate bill, passed in 1981, that NBC calls “the most far-reaching ban on federal funds ever enacted by Congress.” That same year, Biden supported the constitutional amendment empowering states to overturn Roe. Two years later, in 1983, Biden opposed allowing insurers to cover all abortions for federal employees, except if the mother’s life was at-risk....

The most surprising revelation in the NBC News report, though, was the news that Biden continues, to this day, to support the Hyde Amendment — a ban on federal funding for abortion except in the cases of rape, incest or if the mother’s life is threatened. It is particularly significant considering the former vice president publicly took the opposite position just last month. “Yes,” Biden replied on May 4th when asked directly by a volunteer with the ACLU whether he would commit to abolishing the Hyde Amendment while in Columbia, South Carolina. “Right now it has to be,” he said. “It can’t stay.”

“There’s no political or ideological excuse for Joe Biden’s support for the Hyde Amendment, which translates into discrimination against poor women and women of color plain and simple,” Ilyse Hogue, president of pro-choice group NARAL, said in a statement. “His position further endangers women and families already facing enormous hurdles and creates two classes of rights for people in this country, which is inherently undemocratic.”....

By Tessa Stuart June 5, 2019 4:52PM ET

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/joe-biden-anti-abortion-past-present-president-candidate-842314/

Direct Headline: Meet The Democrats Who Voted For DOMA Back When It Was Popular

DOMA (Defense Of Marriage Act), which forbids the U.S. government from recognizing same-sex relationships defined by the states, has been a thorn in the side of the gay rights movement since its passage in 1996...As a result of DOMA, people engaged in same-sex marriages receive none of the financial and institutional benefits that the federal government gives to straight married couples, including favorable taxation, various protections, estate tax and gift treatment as well as a host of other goods and services. ...The thing is, DOMA wouldn't even be on the books if it weren't for the votes of several (now rather embarassed) Democrats.

Still, here are some notable Democrats who voted for DOMA in 1994, with their current position listed:

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y)

Vice President Joe Biden (D-Del.)

https://www.businessinsider.com/democrats-who-voted-for-doma-2013-3

- Biden says, “I don’t think that a woman has the sole right to say what should happen to her body.”

- Biden voted to let states over turn Roe V Wade

- Biden was a long standing voter for the Hyde Amendment, banning federal funds for abortion

- Biden supported Reagan's Mexico City Policy, which bans federal funding to be used overseas for the purpose of aiding abortion

- Biden voted to ban partial birth abortions

- Biden voted for and supported an abortion ban that removed exceptions based on the health/safety of the mother

- Biden voted for the Defense Of Marriage Act ( which is essentially voting against same sex marriages)

- Media outlets have investigated and dug up where Biden lied in correspondence to his own constituents in his district, later in his political career, saying their tax dollars would not be used to support abortion, but yet again, he lied and lied and lied when it was politically expedient to do so.

- Biden is on record voting against using federal funding for abortion over 50+ times while in the Senate.

- Biden voted against Medicaid using it's funding to pay for abortions for victims of rape and incest

- Biden voted against and opposed insurers covering the basic expenses of abortions for federal employees

- Biden talks about the rights and dignity of women but doesn't address allowing Anita Hill to be used like a human speed bump during Clarence Thomas' confirmation hearings. This also doesn't deal with the multiple accusations of him touching women when they aren't receptive and the egregious and public hair sniffing.

- Biden refuses to address the issue that his support of the Hyde Amendment for decades, has been accused of disproportionately creating harm for women in poverty and minority women, against the backdrop that he wrote the 94 Crime Bill, which disproportionately targeted Black America for incarceration while proudly shouting out that he would never want his own children near "those racial jungles" while opposing busing.

- Biden is on record saying that life "begins at conception" then later says something entire different in that he doesn't agree that life begins at conception, once it became politically expedient to do so.

All this is on record and will be dragged into the national daily media cycle before the Mid Terms and before the 2024 general cycle if Biden even lasts that long.

It's beyond mind boggling that there are radical leftists here in the PSF and out in the big bad world who want to demonize Conservatives and Republicans and the GOP for having no regard for the rights of women and their right to choose, when it's very clear Joe Biden is quite possibly the most sterling example of an elected official with no regard for the rights of women ( Think about all the 11 and 12 year old little brown girls getting gang raped and sodomized in Afghanistan and at the Southern Border right now because of Biden's idiotic policy decisions) and their right to choose.

I'll leave this here for others to discuss.

Yes, let's talk about what Joe Biden said about abortion in 1973, that was only 49 years ago, practically yesterday. 😄

To be fair, i would hope people evolve on issues.  I would hate to be held to what I believed in when I was 25.

I would dare say most people evolve with the culture

Weird thread because this is cancel culture in it's full form.  Find someone said when they are young and string them up for 50 years later

Yes, let's talk about what Joe Biden said about abortion in 1973, that was only 49 years ago, practically yesterday. 😄
LMAO at the lib hypocrisy.

Kamala Harris calls out Joe Biden in the primary debates on his busing and civil rights beliefs from 50 years ago...receives widespread Democratic praise, a boost in the polls and massive T-shirt sales ("That little girl was me!").

A conservative brings up Joe Biden's abortion beliefs from a similar time period...gets mocked.

Too funny.

Weird thread because this is cancel culture in it's full form.  Find someone said when they are young and string them up for 50 years later

VIDEO: Raw video: Biden and Ryan express their views on abortion Oct 11, 2012 CNN

Rep. Paul Ryan and Vice President Joe Biden talk about how their religious beliefs affect their stances on abortions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuAheWXDGeo

Direct Headline: Contradicting past statements, Biden says he doesn’t believe life begins at conception

President Joe Biden (D) said on Friday, Sept. 3, that he does not believe life begins at conception – contradicting his previous statements on when life begins.

Biden answered a reporter’s question on abortion on Friday, after addressing the August jobs numbers at the White House. “I respect those who believe life begins at the moment of conception,” (2021) Biden said. “I don’t agree, but I respect that. I’m not going to impose that on people.”

Biden’s declaration that he does not believe life begins at conception is contrary to what he has stated in the past.....At the 2012 vice presidential debate against Republican nominee Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.), Biden stated plainly that he believed life began at conception.

(2012) “Life begins at conception, that’s the Church’s judgment. I accept it in my personal life,”...

....In a September 2008 interview, shortly before he was elected vice president, Biden said that he was “prepared as a matter of faith (2008) to accept that life begins at the moment of conception.”.....

Catholic News Agency  September 3, 2021

https://www.thecatholictelegraph.com/contradicting-past-statements-biden-says-he-doesnt-believe-life-begins-at-conception/77096

2008 - Biden says life begins at the moment of conception

2012 - Biden says life begins at conception

2019-2021 - (When it's political expedient to continue his streak of pathological lies for personal political gain) Biden says "I don't agree" with anyone who believes life begins at conception

Biden says "My religion defines who I am"

No, it's very clear his religion does not define who is he when it's going to cost him votes. Paul Ryan is right. You can't be a person of integrity and hold a view one way in public office because it has current tactical political value and then hold another view a different way in your personal life that's completely different and hold onto your ethics. Don't be gutless, be consistent in your convictions and your values.

Biden has a long political career working against abortion rights. Not just at a single point 40 years ago. Across DECADES while in the Senate. And I pulled no punches in actually listing them out in this thread.

That you want to call this as some kind of witch hunt "50 years later" shows how badly you need to dig deep to fulfill your partisan rationalizations.

YOU DO NOT GET TO BE AN ELECTED OFFICIAL, BEHOLDEN AND BOUND BY DUTY TO SERVE THE REPUBLIC, AND SAY “I DON'T THINK THAT A WOMAN HAS THE SOLE RIGHT TO SAY WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN TO HER BODY" AND WALK AWAY FROM THAT.

Well, in fairness he was like 60 years old already in 1973. ;)

Direct Headline: Axelrod: Obama Misled Nation When He Opposed Gay Marriage In 2008

Axelrod also admits to counseling Obama to conceal that position for political reasons. “Opposition to gay marriage was particularly strong in the black church...The admission of Obama’s embrace of deception also calls into question the President’s stated embrace of a new kind of politics in 2008, when he promised to be unlike other politicians who change their views to match the political winds....As a state senate candidate in 1996, Obama filled out a questionnaire saying “I favor legalizing same-sex marriages, and would fight efforts to prohibit such marriages.” But 12 years later as a candidate for president, Obama told Rick Warren’s Saddleback Church that marriage could only extend to heterosexual couples. “I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman,” Obama said at the time. “Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.”...

By Zeke J Miller February 10, 2015 6:54 AM EST

https://time.com/3702584/gay-marriage-axelrod-obama/

Direct Headline: Obama’s latest ‘evolution’ on gay marriage: He lied about opposing it, Axelrod says

And Axelrod's confession, in and of itself, is pretty convenient. Yes, he's making pretty clear that Obama lied...

By Hunter Schwarz February 10, 2015

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/02/10/axelrod-says-obama-lied-about-opposing-gay-marriage-its-another-convenient-evolution/

Direct Headline: Obama: I didn't lie about same-sex marriage

I think David is mixing up my personal feelings with my position on the issue,”...“If Obama’s views were ‘evolving’ publicly, they were fully evolved behind closed doors,” Axelrod writes.....In his interview with BuzzFeed News, Obama said it “isn’t quite accurate” to say he was always in favor of same-sex marriage....

By Lucy McCalmont 02/11/2015 07:07 AM EST

https://www.politico.com/story/2015/02/barack-obama-gay-marriage-david-axelrod-115107

Well we can't cover Biden's long history of opposing abortion rights without also covering his 8 years as Obama's Vice President.

At some point, Obama's out of control narcissism won't allow him to stay in the shadows anymore and he's going to come forward and start virtue signaling in the current national daily media cycle about Roe V Wade and Alito.

Except now that narrative is going to have to deal with the issue that Obama is also a compulsive liar. Time Magazine tried to spin it down as Obama "misleading" the American people and tries to dump the entire scandal onto David Axelrod. But hilariously it's the Washington Post that just decides to stop mincing words about it and outright calls Obama a liar.  This tends to happen when you are actually caught lying. Then Obama has the audacity to come forward and say he didn't lie at all.

"No, no, no, those are my PERSONAL FEELINGS, that has nothing to do with my uncontrollable desire to get as many votes as possible!  Even though I promised the American people that I would be different from all other politicians who do the gutless flip flopping to accrue the current political currency needed given the time and place! I didn't lie to you, the American people! It's David Axelrod's fault! If I 'mislead' you or shoveled something down your throat that's 'not quite accurate' , that's definitely not the same thing as a lie!"

Gutless.

Both Biden and Obama alike.

Be a man. Pick a side. Take a position. And stand by your actual convictions and values. Have some actual integrity.

Direct Headline: Axelrod: Obama Misled Nation When He Opposed Gay Marriage In 2008

:lol:  

I didn't know any Democrats at that time that really believed that was also his privately held opinion, but he was on shaky ground as it was being the first major party black POTUS nominee and coming out in favor of same sex marriage at that time might have cost him the election. 

gotta play to the crowd  - and I promise you if Joe thought he'd get more votes for Democrat's, he'd say whatever needed to get them

politician's are liars, Joe is a politician 

Just curious, how long can we hold someone to their prior statements?  Can we hold Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett to their statements at their confirmation hearings regarding Roe or has enough time passed that those statements become stale and they can change them?

Just curious, how long can we hold someone to their prior statements?  Can we hold Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett to their statements at their confirmation hearings regarding Roe or has enough time passed that those statements become stale and they can change them?

Barrett lied about her position less than 2 years ago. Kavanaugh less than 4 years ago. I doubt anyone seriously believe they have rethought their views on abortion and changed their minds since then. 😄

Barrett lied about her position less than 2 years ago. Kavanaugh less than 4 years ago. I doubt anyone seriously believe they have rethought their views on abortion and changed their minds since then. 😄
Barrett lied under oath but wasn't charged with perjury?

Or Dems just butt-hurt?

If she says that what she believed at the time of her confirmation hearing, that wouldn't be perjury, would it?
Don't twist the accusation to fit your narrative. You said she lied. Lying under oath is perjury. If she perjured herself, why isn't she being prosecuted?

Don't twist the accusation to fit your narrative. You said she lied. Lying under oath is perjury. If she perjured herself, why isn't she being prosecuted?

Yes, I absolutely think she lied (and Susan Collins would probably agree) but proving it is another matter, which is why no member of SCOTUS has ever been charged with perjury for what was said during their confirmation hearing about how they might rule on an issue before the court.

And again, if she said she was stating her actual opinion at that time and has changed her mind since then, then it really wouldn't be perjury (not even enough to bring charges). 

Yes, I absolutely think she lied (and Susan Collins would probably agree) but proving it is another matter, which is why no member of SCOTUS has ever been charged with perjury for what was said during their confirmation hearing about how they might rule on an issue before the court.

And again, if she said she was stating her actual opinion at that time and has changed her mind since then, then it really wouldn't be perjury (not even enough to bring charges). 
You are saying that Amy was for abortion at the hearings?

Biden longs for eating lunch segregationists a couple days ago,and you want to cut him slack.   2 years and 4 years is an eternity. 

Direct Headline/VIDEO: Video of Biden Saying He Doesn't View Abortion as a 'Right' Resurfaces

The Republican National Committee resurfaced a video of President Joe Biden in a 2006 interview explaining that he did not view abortion as "a right" after he strongly criticized the controversial Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

In a Friday ruling, the Supreme Court in a 6 to 3 decision overturned nearly five decades of precedent and ended abortion rights in states across the country with its majority opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson. Biden and other leading Democrats condemned the ruling from the conservative justices, warning that it undermined women's freedom and health care...."Now, with Roe gone, let's be very clear: The health and life of women in this nation are now at risk..."

Later on Friday afternoon, the RNC Research Twitter account resurfaced a clip of Biden sharing a different view of abortion in 2006. The video came from a March 2006 interview with Texas Monthly...."I do not view abortion as a choice and a right. I think it's always a tragedy, and I think that it should be rare and safe, and I think we should be focusing on how to limit the number of abortions. And there ought to be able to have a common ground and consensus as to do that," Biden, who was a Democratic senator for Delaware at the time, said in the video....

.....CNN previously resurfaced the video in June 2019 as Biden faced scrutiny over his views on abortion within a crowded field of 2020 Democratic presidential primary candidates. At the time, Biden had asserted his support for the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits federal government funding going to abortions except in cases of rape, incest or to save a would-be mother's life. The then-presidential hopeful reversed his long-held view on the Hyde Amendment amid backlash at the time....

By Jason Lemon 6/24/22 at 4:46 PM EDT

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-abortion-rights-video-clip-roe-v-wade-2006-interview-1719106

TWEET/VIDEO: RNC Research XX@XXRNCResearch

JOE BIDEN, 2006: "I do not view abortion as a choice and a right. I think it's always a tragedy."

JOE BIDEN, 2022: Abortion-on-demand, without limits, until birth.

11:26 AM · Jun 24, 2022

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1540400912199458817

2006 is not 49 years ago.

2008 when Biden says life begins at the moment of conception is not 49 years ago.

2012 when Biden says life begins at conception is not 49 years ago.

Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, amd Barack Obama are all on the correct side of the abortion debate, IMO. None of them wrote this atrocious decision. None of them appointed or voted for any of the justices who approved this atrocious decision. All of them are working towards fighting against the horrible results of this atrocious decision. I’m proud to support them, And polls suggest the vast majority of Americans are on their side on this issue. 

People should be free to change their minds on contentious issues (that's a good thing, if it's done intentionally and judiciously), and I'm not interested in "stringing them up" over things they used to believe.  So I kind of agree with where you're going on that score.

On other hand, I for one am tired of people wagging their finger in my face and sanctimoniously lecturing me about how wicked and evil I am for believing the exact same thing that you yourself believed a few minutes ago.  Get out of here with that.

Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, amd Barack Obama are all on the correct side of the abortion debate, IMO. None of them wrote this atrocious decision. None of them appointed or voted for any of the justices who approved this atrocious decision. All of them are working towards fighting against the horrible results of this atrocious decision. I’m proud to support them, And polls suggest the vast majority of Americans are on their side on this issue. 
No. Obama, Biden and Clinton all had their opportunity to codify Roe in 2009. They blew it.

If abortion is indeed such an important issue to liberals, then those three and the entire Democratic party should be held accountable for their lack of action to legislate when it mattered.

Stop blaming conservatives. After 50 years they actually delivered on their promise to their constituents.

Start blaming your own side for their inability to do the same.

No. Obama, Biden and Clinton all had their opportunity to codify Roe in 2009. They blew it.

If abortion is indeed such an important issue to liberals, then those three and the entire Democratic party should be held accountable for their lack of action to legislate when it mattered.

Stop blaming conservatives. After 50 years they actually delivered on their promise to their constituents.

Start blaming your own side for their inability to do the same.
This makes no sense. If one side is in favor of an occurrence and works to make it happen, and the other side is opposed to that occurrence, and so am I, I’m going to blame the side that made it happen. My guys made have made mistakes but they’re still on the right side. 

Not that long ago Obama and Hillary thought that the gays should not be allowed to marry. They evolved, at least publicly.

This makes no sense. If one side is in favor of an occurrence and works to make it happen, and the other side is opposed to that occurrence, and so am I, I’m going to blame the side that made it happen. My guys made have made mistakes but they’re still on the right side. 
The bold is what you don't understand. Democrats absolutely did not "work to make it happen." They underestimated the threat, and then absolutely failed to deliver a permanent solution that protected the constituents they ostensibly represent. Now those constituents are paying a direct price. And many others are paying an indirect price through the social disruption it is causing. Your rage is misdirected.

The bold is what you don't understand. Democrats absolutely did not "work to make it happen." They underestimated the threat, and then absolutely failed to deliver a permanent solution that protected the constituents they ostensibly represent. Now those constituents are paying a direct price. And many others are paying an indirect price through the social disruption it is causing. Your rage is misdirected.
I think you misunderstood me. It was Republicans who worked to make this happen. Not Democrats. My side made a lot of mistakes but they never wanted this to happen. I blame the people who DID want this to happen. 

I think you misunderstood me. It was Republicans who worked to make this happen. Not Democrats. My side made a lot of mistakes but they never wanted this to happen. I blame the people who DID want this to happen. 
No worries. I understand. We've got the same disconnect on climate change. IMO conservatives are who they are on that issue, and will always represent an obstacle to forward progress. But I blame the Dems more than them because of epic failure to deliver (i.e. $550 billion in BBB spending just sitting there) now that they finally have an oppty. I despise big talk and no action is all. 

Also, it's worth noting that the parties didn't used to be aligned so tightly on abortion or most other issues.  Biden, Gore, Jesse Jackson, Reagan, and GHW Bush all changed their positions on abortion to one degree or another.  Changing your position on an important moral issue just to fit  in with the rest of your party (if that's what happened) might not be terribly noble, but it's been known to happen.

I can't even believe someone is trying to compare the two honestly...

It's not a comparison, it's a question.  How long can you hold someone to their views before they can change them?  Apparently, Joe Biden can't be held to his views from 1973 because he's allowed to evolve over time.  Barrett, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh can be held to theirs because...  Gorsuch had his confirmation 5 years ago.  So apparently, some time period after 5 years but before 49 years we can hold people to their views?  How long can we do it?

It's not a comparison, it's a question.  How long can you hold someone to their views before they can change them?  Apparently, Joe Biden can't be held to his views from 1973 because he's allowed to evolve over time.  Barrett, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh can be held to theirs because...  Gorsuch had his confirmation 5 years ago.  So apparently, some time period after 5 years but before 49 years we can hold people to their views?  How long can we do it?
We need to know the party affiliation of the person in question first. 

If Republicans didn't exist, Roe would be safe.  So I'm not going to say "this is the Democrats fault."  But the Democrats certainly didn't do enough.  Nearly 50 years to codify it, and they never did.  Why?  Better to campaign on it since you know it's untouchable.  Except, it's not. 

Users who are viewing this thread