What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Joe Biden Thread- things are looking up (1 Viewer)

When does Bidens " Inflation Reduction Act " take effect?

Markets tumble. The hotter-than-expected inflation report sent the stock market tumbling. In trading on Tuesday morning, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell nearly 900 points, which amounted to a 2.75% decline. Meanwhile, the S&P 500 — the index to which many 401(k)s are pegged — dropped 3.1%. The tech-heavy Nasdaq also plummeted more than 4%.

Prices rose broadly outside of the energy sector. Food prices rose 0.8% on a monthly basis, slowing from their monthly increase in July but remaining highly elevated.

At all costs is different than...I prefer a recession to a likely recession as well as other things being worse. Other things like tearing now democratic norms and free and fair elections.

at all costs is different

but that thread was built upon the feelings that Democrats/Liberals/anti-Trumpites would do anything to get oust Trump - if a recession was the tade off would people do it ? 60% said yes

considering the political make up of this board that's a very high percentage of the left saying Recession over Trump

I swerved the topic - my fault ..... lets get back to "things are looking up" ..........

−858.57 (2.65%)today

Here’s what we know:​

Inflation did not ease as much as expected in August, with an 8.3 percent rise in the Consumer Price Index showing that the squeeze on consumers remains acute.

What is the Republican solution to high food prices?
It's the same answer every time you guys ask: stop spending so much money. Stop printing so many dollars.
You're right there isn't an overnight fix. But crafting new bills which cost hundreds of billions and labeling them 'inflation reduction' with a straight face is definitely not the answer.
This is a disingenuous argument because if a bill had been proposed to spend money strengthening the border, or improving the military, or to promote nuclear energy, most conservatives would have been for it, and the argument that we can’t spend money right now would have been forgotten.

Conservatives don’t object to spending money; they object to what the Democrats want to do with the money.

At all costs is different than...I prefer a recession to a likely recession as well as other things being worse. Other things like tearing now democratic norms and free and fair elections.

at all costs is different

but that thread was built upon the feelings that Democrats/Liberals/anti-Trumpites would do anything to get oust Trump - if a recession was the tade off would people do it ? 60% said yes

considering the political make up of this board that's a very high percentage of the left saying Recession over Trump

I swerved the topic - my fault ..... lets get back to "things are looking up" ..........

−858.57 (2.65%)today

Here’s what we know:​

Inflation did not ease as much as expected in August, with an 8.3 percent rise in the Consumer Price Index showing that the squeeze on consumers remains acute.

Just reading the poll results is not an accurate depiction of what posters said. Especially an anonymous poll that does not just saying liberals or anti trumpites as far as who voted.
Looking again at the actual answers...shows a different and more nuanced picture of what people actually said.

Which has nothing to do with your own unprompted claim that you want all those bad things because you want Biden and Democrats out at all costs. Thats on you...no whataboutism (which was obvious where you were going to go with it from the start) will change the post you made.

It's the same answer every time you guys ask: stop spending so much money. Stop printing so many dollars.
You're right there isn't an overnight fix. But crafting new bills which cost hundreds of billions and labeling them 'inflation reduction' with a straight face is definitely not the answer.
The problem...is that is not a Republican solution. Because they won't stop spending so much money, and have had chances to stop printing so many dollars...and their response has been the same as democrats...more spending, more printing money, keep rates low....

The problem...is that is not a Republican solution. Because they won't stop spending so much money, and have had chances to stop printing so many dollars...and their response has been the same as democrats...more spending, more printing money, keep rates low....
Republicans have never tried to hammer massive spending bills thru Congress during raging inflation. They simply haven't.
Again: just because Republicans suck doesn't mean Democrats don't suck harder (on this issue at least).
Have you conveniently forgotten how the left was smearing Manchin less than 1 year ago because he wouldn't sign off on all the add'l spending??? He was siding with Republicans on that issue.

You guys are CONTINUING to whistle past the graveyard even as the market craters and people's real wages continue to crater. Who cares right? Can't be helped? Give me a break.

Republicans have never tried to hammer massive spending bills thru Congress during raging inflation. They simply haven't.
Again: just because Republicans suck doesn't mean Democrats don't suck harder (on this issue at least).
Have you conveniently forgotten how the left was smearing Manchin less than 1 year ago because he wouldn't sign off on all the add'l spending??? He was siding with Republicans on that issue.

You guys are CONTINUING to whistle past the graveyard even as the market craters and people's real wages continue to crater. Who cares right? Can't be helped? Give me a break.
No...they just ignore the oncoming inflation and continue to spend, push through tax cuts, and kick the can down the road so they can blame the next guy.

I won't defend the student loan forgiveness stuff. But infrastructure and the "inflation reduction act" sure...
Also, the spending you continue to reference didn't pass...some of us were quite ok with that not passing as well.

Which has nothing to do with your own unprompted claim that you want all those bad things because you want Biden and Democrats out at all costs. Thats on you...no whataboutism (which was obvious where you were going to go with it from the start) will change the post you made.

meh, if you can't see that I was making a point, you're choosing to do that. Unprompted for a reason - to make a point.

I've never been anti-US citizens first .... I'd not start now. Heck I've said as much - I wanted Biden to do really well, for America's sake and he's fallen harder than anyone imagined. He's fallen harder than people thought Trump would have fallen had Trump been elected

No...they just ignore the oncoming inflation and continue to spend, push through tax cuts, and kick the can down the road so they can blame the next guy.

I won't defend the student loan forgiveness stuff. But infrastructure and the "inflation reduction act" sure...
Also, the spending you continue to reference didn't pass...some of us were quite ok with that not passing as well.
Republicans suck. Just not as Dems on this particular issue.

You say Republicans 'ignored oncoming inflation'...okay. But Democrats ignored it far, far longer. In fact, historic inflation was already here and most Dems in power, and their minions on these boards, sang the same tune that inflation was 'transitory'. It clearly was not, and STILL people on this board can do nothing more than stamp their feet with hands on hips and say 'well Republicans are bad too, let's keep spending our way out of this'.

It's absurd. All of it. Politicians suck. When things go sideways we should vote them out. I'm sorry if you're upset your tribe is holding the bag on inflation, but they absolutely are.

were the people in this thread bad American's too ? how did you vote ? I didn't see you speaking out against all the people wanting a Recession than - 60% of those responding

View results: Trump Opponents - Would you rather have a Recession or Trump Re-election?
  • For sure rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election​

Votes: 83 46.6%
  • Probably rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election​

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • On the fence​

Votes: 8 4.5%
  • Probably not rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election​

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • For sure not rather have a Recession than Trump Re-election​

Votes: 41 23.0%
They would be bad Americans also.

meh, if you can't see that I was making a point, you're choosing to do that. Unprompted for a reason - to make a point.

I've never been anti-US citizens first .... I'd not start now. Heck I've said as much - I wanted Biden to do really well, for America's sake and he's fallen harder than anyone imagined. He's fallen harder than people thought Trump would have fallen had Trump been elected
Your point seemed to be to try and play whataboutism with that thread. Ignoring the responses to the thread and relying just on an anonymous thread.

And I don't think this fall is harder than Trump...in fact, I think we would be about the same place economically and a whole lot worse in other areas.

You say Republicans 'ignored oncoming inflation'...okay. But Democrats ignored it far, far longer. In fact, historic inflation was already here and most Dems in power, and their minions on these boards, sang the same tune that inflation was 'transitory'. It clearly was not, and STILL people on this board can do nothing more than stamp their feet with hands on hips and say 'well Republicans are bad too, let's keep spending our way out of this'.

It's absurd. All of it. Politicians suck. When things go sideways we should vote them out. I'm sorry if you're upset your tribe is holding the bag on inflation, but they absolutely are.

Ive not even acted as if Democrats were better on it. The point is...the claim that the Republican plan would be to stop spending so much money or printing dollars...rings hollow when they don't do those things either. They talk a good game...but then when in office they still spend and print money. The two parties are no different in that currently when it comes to spending the taxpayers money.

Ive not even acted as if Democrats were better on it. The point is...the claim that the Republican plan would be to stop spending so much money or printing dollars...rings hollow when they don't do those things either. They talk a good game...but then when in office they still spend and print money. The two parties are no different in that currently when it comes to spending the taxpayers money.
Right now they are definitely different. The Biden admin would have spent FAR, FAR more money this year if it weren't for Republicans (and Manchin) blocking their efforts. That is a stone cold fact. You might think Republicans' (and Manchin's) motives aren't pure in that effort, and that's fine. But the fact remains they have reigned-in the ruling Dems to some degree. Since the results of the past 18 months has been crazy high inflation, Republicans should win some elections here at the mid-terms because frankly the ruling Dems were wrong about how transitory or mild inflation would be. If that happens, Republicans would spend less for a while without a doubt, even if it is just to spite Uncle Joe.
If the Republicans were in power while we had 40-year high inflation would they be spending the same way Dems have tried to spend over the past 18 months? Maybe, but it doesn't matter. The reality is, Biden, Pelosi, Schumer and the gang have been dead wrong on this and they should be made to pay at the mid-terms. It's possible the Supreme Court's Dobbs ruling was ruinous for our finances because it might just allow all this profligate spending to continue at the same rate.

Your point seemed to be to try and play whataboutism with that thread. Ignoring the responses to the thread and relying just on an anonymous thread.

And I don't think this fall is harder than Trump...in fact, I think we would be about the same place economically and a whole lot worse in other areas.

I'm exactly the opposite of whataboutism

we KNOW inflation soared with Democrats, fact
we KNOW 60% would have traded a recession over Trump re-election
we KNOW the border isn't secure

you're whataboutting saying we'd be same place with Trump

Right now they are definitely different. The Biden admin would have spent FAR, FAR more money this year if it weren't for Republicans (and Manchin) blocking their efforts. That is a stone cold fact. You might think Republicans' (and Manchin's) motives aren't pure in that effort, and that's fine. But the fact remains they have reigned-in the ruling Dems to some degree. Since the results of the past 18 months has been crazy high inflation, Republicans should win some elections here at the mid-terms because frankly the ruling Dems were wrong about how transitory or mild inflation would be. If that happens, Republicans would spend less for a while without a doubt, even if it is just to spite Uncle Joe.
If the Republicans were in power while we had 40-year high inflation would they be spending the same way Dems have tried to spend over the past 18 months? Maybe, but it doesn't matter. The reality is, Biden, Pelosi, Schumer and the gang have been dead wrong on this and they should be made to pay at the mid-terms. It's possible the Supreme Court's Dobbs ruling was ruinous for our finances because it might just allow all this profligate spending to continue at the same rate.
I think a lot of this is fair. I would add that I think Republicans would spend away as much as the Dems if they were in control. I would just ask, you think Donald had any restraint in this regard or the Republicans in Congress? I don't. dude wanted rates lower when things were going well, wanted more debt like they all do as it is no consequence to them if it blows up in 4 or 6 years or whatever timeline you want to pick. That is the next person's problem. As far as Congress goes when it became clear that we were in trouble there was no restraint because no politician wants to be the bad guy to save their job. This is universal among the whole lot.

In any case though the Dems should pay the price for this politically, all incumbents should really.

Crazy Don and Roe decision is definitely a lifeline for Dems.

Because they are going to raise interest rates to slow things down.

things are looking up !! :tfp:
What tools would you have the FED use to impact inflation?
Stop the trillions of government giveaways.
What policies of the FED have you been critical of?
Your didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway. :pokey:

ZIRP was and has been a huge mistake. I've stated so for a decade plus here.

I couldn’t speak to this with an informed opinion TBH :lol:

Do you support these interest rate hikes by the FED? I am knowledgeable enough to see they merely threaten to do this and the markets tank. I assume the purpose is worthwhile.

The last 3 at a minimum- inflation reduction act, semi conductor, and student debt foregiveness.

The last 3 at a minimum- inflation reduction act, semi conductor, and student debt foregiveness.
What role did the FED have in those?

They would be bad Americans also.

wouldn't you like to see who voted for recession ??
Yes...and then also compare to what they posted in the thread as their reasoning. As many posted that they thought there would be one even with Trump along with a host of other issues. Does that read the same as I want bad for these other people no matter the cost? Your point...was poorly ma

I'm exactly the opposite of whataboutism

we KNOW inflation soared with Democrats, fact
we KNOW 60% would have traded a recession over Trump re-election
we KNOW the border isn't secure

you're whataboutting saying we'd be same place with Trump
you whatabouted to the other thread yo justify wishing bad things on Americans to get rid of Biden and Democrats at all costs. With no nuance…no context that anything would improve. Just you want them out so bad you wish bad things on American people.

I think a lot of this is fair. I would add that I think Republicans would spend away as much as the Dems if they were in control. I would just ask, you think Donald had any restraint in this regard or the Republicans in Congress? I don't. dude wanted rates lower when things were going well, wanted more debt like they all do as it is no consequence to them if it blows up in 4 or 6 years or whatever timeline you want to pick. That is the next person's problem. As far as Congress goes when it became clear that we were in trouble there was no restraint because no politician wants to be the bad guy to save their job. This is universal among the whole lot.

In any case though the Dems should pay the price for this politically, all incumbents should really.

Crazy Don and Roe decision is definitely a lifeline for Dems.
Good post. I really don't give a crap about Don. Wish he would just go away forever. He did whine about interest rates when he was in office, for sure. He complained that Obama had zero rates for his entire term while Donny actually had rate hikes during his. That was true, but those measured hikes were prudent when they occurred.

Do you support these interest rate hikes by the FED? I am knowledgeable enough to see they merely threaten to do this and the markets tank. I assume the purpose is worthwhile.
It's the big knob that they have and is really the only fast way to quash inflation. This serves to slow the velocity of money and, in effect, reduce monetary supply. Reduced liquidity and higher fixed income means lower equities, though. The purpose is definitely worthwhile, the question is whether this is currently effective and how much more will make it effective, if not.

It's the big knob that they have and is really the only fast way to quash inflation. This serves to slow the velocity of money and, in effect, reduce monetary supply. Reduced liquidity and higher fixed income means lower equities, though. The purpose is definitely worthwhile, the question is whether this is currently effective and how much more will make it effective, if not.
I agree and assume these dudes know what they are doing and also understand the tightrope they are walking.

No one likes seeing the stock market going down, but it is a long game, and this is needed action to combat inflation and slow down things.

I agree and assume these dudes know what they are doing and also understand the tightrope they are walking.

No one likes seeing the stock market going down, but it is a long game, and this is needed action to combat inflation and slow down things.
Don't go that far. They blew up the 2006-8 RE meltdown with the same ZIRP shenanigans. Right now the 2Y/10Y spread is way negative, which is a strong indicator of recession coming. The chances they overdo this raising cycle and blow us into recession is high and going higher. IMO, of course.

Don't go that far. They blew up the 2006-8 RE meltdown with the same ZIRP shenanigans. Right now the 2Y/10Y spread is way negative, which is a strong indicator of recession coming. The chances they overdo this raising cycle and blow us into recession is high and going higher. IMO, of course.
Hopefully they learned from that (and there were quite a few other factors that lead into that meltdown)!

Someone should tell the left that we can have a democracy AND a better economy. Is that too much to ask?
What should we be doing right now to have a better economy? What changes / legislation / action would you take or would a republican pres be doing right now?
How much confidence do you have in the economy this winter? I have none. I also have no confidernce in an administration who will tell YOU what YOU want to hear, while WE see different.
So no answer to my original question? Are you just going to ignore?
The government cant keep spending, we have to take our medicine now. You guys voted him in, enjoy. I'm the minority.
What should we be doing right now to have a better economy? What changes / legislation / action would you take or would a republican pres be doing right now?
Clearly, you don't understand how cowards owning the libs and cosplaying as freedom fighters equals a better economy. You should watch more YouTube. I mean, do you even Facebook bro?
So you are happy with the economy right now? Explain to the rest of us what we are missing?
I wasn't the one asking you a question. I was mocking the political right for their lack of good faith, nonsense and the fact that they are a cancer on our body politic.

You've been asked the same question 3 times. But I'm happy to answer yours. I'm fine with the economy at the moment given world wide issues though I look forward to less inflation eventually. Yeah, it could be better. I never get what I want in domestic policy anyway no matter who runs Washington.

As for what you're missing...I don't know. If you were MAGA GOP Trump supporter who ever said Let's Go Brandon like it was a political statement and thinks that January 6 wasn't a big deal, youd be missing honor, good faith, democratic common sense, courage and decency. But that's not you personally, I'm sure, so like I said, I don't know
:goodposting:

These people truly are the worst! If the GOP could just shut up about abortion and focus on the issues, should be a clean sweep In November.
Not the best timing :lol:

When you are getting trolled by Mitch McConnell for being out of touch you know it isn’t a good thing.

These people truly are the worst! If the GOP could just shut up about abortion and focus on the issues, should be a clean sweep In November.

When you are getting trolled by Mitch McConnell for being out of touch you know it isn’t a good thing.
Democrats remain their worst enemies in terms of messaging.

Here’s what I would advise Biden and the Democrats: do not talk about inflation. Even if you have solutions, even if you have a good argument to make, doesn’t matter. You don’t bring it up because every mention of inflation hurts you.

Naming the last bill the “Inflation Reduction Act” was a terrible unforced error. Beyond the fact that the bill, while it does many good things, doesn’t fight inflation, mentioning the word keeps it in the spotlight. Just really stupid.

if I was advising Republicans I would tell them the same thing except in their case it’s abortion and Trump. Any discussion of either hurts Republicans.

Last edited:

Pretty sure this was in an episode of VEEP.

Here’s what I would advise Biden and the Democrats: do not talk about inflation. Even if you have solutions, even if you have a good argument to make, doesn’t matter. You don’t bring it up because every mention of inflation hurts you.

if I was advising Republicans I would tell them the same thing except in their case it’s abortion and Trump. Any discussion of either hurts Republicans.
Republicans can talk plenty about Trump and abortion as long as there are no cameras around and/or the right audience.

The Dems definitely should not talk about inflation.

Republicans can talk plenty about Trump and abortion as long as there are no cameras around and/or the right audience.

Don't worry...people are reminded every time they buy something.

Don't worry...people are reminded every time they buy something.
If the GOP blows this they probably need to shut it down and focus on another career path.

Yes, and joe needs to lose the av

I agree. Markets crashing, inflation killing the regular folk, and Old Joe is singing Fire and Rain with his aviators on.

Change the title or merge the thread please.

Users who are viewing this thread