What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aging Men: what I do to feel better and younger (comment, critique, question, flame away) (1 Viewer)

offdee

Footballguy
For those that know me around here, you know I'm not afraid to express an opinion or put myself out there for ridicule.  So, I'll likely be ridiculed a bit here, but also hopefully give some helpful insights and discussion. 

I went through a breakup over a year ago, and after that I just kind of stripped my life back to it's simplest form (helps when I don't have any kids myself) and wanted to get overall healthier (physically and mentally).    I have disposable income so tried all kinds of stuff and I'll share with you the things that worked FOR ME and I've never felt better.

For context, I'm 46 yrs old, but look and feel in my mid-30's realistically (some guys who know me on here can vouch for that).  Always been relatively healthy and athletic so not a drastic change, but I've learned a lot and have thoughts and reasons of why I do all of the below.   If curious to know more about any one thing, comment, and I'll give more details.  If you disagree with any of it or have advice on better technique, product, etc I'm all ears to that as well.  Always trying to improve.

Also, the list below may seem like a lot (and it probably is) but all of it has helped me feel better in some way.  And I also want to make it clear that I still do drink alcohol, have desserts and don't limit myself from good foods...so I still enjoy those vices, which I feel is part of overall happiness and enjoyment of life. Balance.

----

- BREAKFAST: I'm not a big breakfast guy and usually not hungry.  I have a white Monster since not a coffee drinker.  The white Monsters have zero sugar and only 10 calories.  I fully realize there are all kinds of bad stuff in those, but I don't care...I enjoy it  (this shows I'm not crazy over the top....I still put crap in my body, I just pick and choose the most enjoyable crap for me)

- LUNCH: Healthy Smoothie full of fruits, veggies, collagen powder, protein powder, etc.   (42 oz and 580 calories)

- DINNER: I have a normal meal and don't overthink the health content and just enjoy it (usually have some sort of a dessert, for example...6 Dark Chocolate Oreos with a glass of milk...a reward at the end of the day)

- Water:  drink lots of it whenever I can.  I don't measure it out or go crazy with pumping a gallon into me a day.  But I have gallons of water in my fridge and just fill up a big mug regularly or just take a 5 gulp pull from it as I walk by the fridge.

- Workout:  religiously Monday thru Friday.   M/W/F = 1 hr cardio + 30 mins weights.   T/Th: 1 hr cardio  (take Sat and Sun off to recover...or if miss one of the weekdays I make it up on one of the weekend free days)

- Full body stretching:  Monday thru Friday I do it as the warmup to my daily workout (about 10 mins).   Sat and Sunday just do on my own in my place.    I really concentrate on my hamstrings and lower back.

- The Flex Belt:  Monday thru Friday, 30 mins each day.  I hate situps and crunches and weak lower back from college football injuries, so this helps me keep feeling tone and tight.  It's an easy copout, but it really does work and I can put it on and just go about normal life for those 30 minutes.

- Testosterone replacement therapy, along with misc. vitamin injections that I was low in per blood tests  (Vitamin D & B12).  Went from 320 testosterone to now at 790. (goal is to be at 800 to feel the best)

- Ipamorelin peptide shot to help with leaning out and increase muscle mass (Monday through Friday).  This one is a bit pricey, so will only take during the four "summer months"....May, June, July, August.  Then will stop it for the 8 months after.  

- Daily Positive Manifestation:  15 mins of reading a self help type of book and thanking the universe for all that is good in my life.    Anybody with good recommendations for future reading?

- Daily Kegel exercises:  I do this while I'm doing my 15 min of positive manifestation above.  I'm dating younger women, so ya' know.

- Teeth whitening:  at home gel from Amazon inside one of my old Invisalign retainers.   30 minutes twice a week  (Monday and Friday).

- Facial smoothing:  use both Gua Sha stone and Facia Blaster techniques  (about 10 mins total daily)

- Derma Roller face with special moisturizing serums after:  do once every 2 weeks (every other Sunday)

- Microdermabrasion facials:   every 4 weeks.  This is not a relaxing spa facial.  It basically uses a tool to sand off the top layers of dead and damaged skin to expose fresh skin.  Forces it to repair itself and produce extra collagen.   It doesn't necessarily "hurt" but it's not a relaxing experience that most think when you hear facial.

- Daily facial care:  MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE....and use quality products.   I have a morning moisturizer that has spf 30 in it and doesn't leave the white clown look after.  Also have a night moisturizer with no spf but goes on smooth and cooling.

- Blemishes: Colloidal Silver on a Qtip until the blemish clears up

- Daily morning Vitamins:  Vitamin C (for clearer whites of my eyes),  Silymarin Milk Thistle extract (Liver health), Biotin (hair, nails, skin health), Turmeric/Ginger/Apple Cider Vingegar capsules (anti-inflammation & joint health)

- Before Bed routine:  brush teeth (duh), swish mouth with Listerine Total Care with alcohol...really helps gum health, night repair eye cream to help with under eye bags and eye wrinkles.

- Massage:  once per month, 90 minutes (firm pressure...not deep tissue, but not total relaxation either)

- No smoking or recreational drugs.  I stick to alcohol a couple nights a week (out on dates or with friends)

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that know me around here, you know I'm not afraid to express an opinion or put myself out there for ridicule.  So, I'll likely be ridiculed a bit here, but also hopefully give some helpful insights and discussion. 

Long story short, I went through a breakup over a year ago, and after that I just kind of stripped my life back to it's simplest form (helps when I don't have any kids myself) and wanted to get overall healthier (physically and mentally).    I have disposable income so tried all kinds of stuff and I'll share with you the things that worked FOR ME and I've never felt better.

For context, I'm 46 yrs old, but look and feel in my mid-30's realistically (some guys who know me on here can vouch for that).  Always been relatively healthy and athletic so not a drastic change, but I've learned a lot and have thoughts and reasons of why I do all of the below.   If curious to know more about any one thing, comment, and I'll give more details.  If you disagree with any of it or have advice on better technique, product, etc I'm all ears to that as well.  Always trying to improve.

Also, the list below may seem like a lot (and it probably is) but all of it has helped me feel better in some way.  And I also want to make it clear that I still do drink alcohol, have desserts and don't limit myself from good foods...so I still enjoy those vices, which I feel is part of overall happiness and enjoyment of life. Balance.

----

- BREAKFAST: I'm not a big breakfast guy and usually not hungry.  I have a white Monster since not a coffee drinker.  The white Monsters have zero sugar and only 10 calories.  I fully realize there are all kinds of bad stuff in those, but I don't care...I enjoy it  (this shows I'm not crazy over the top....I still put crap in my body, I just pick and choose the most enjoyable crap for me)

- LUNCH: Healthy Smoothie full of fruits, veggies, collagen powder, protein powder, etc.   (42 oz and 580 calories)

- DINNER: I have a normal meal and don't overthink the health content and just enjoy it (usually have some sort of a dessert, for example...6 Dark Chocolate Oreos with a glass of milk...a reward at the end of the day)

- Water:  drink lots of it whenever I can.  I don't measure it out or go crazy with pumping a gallon into me a day.  But I have gallons of water in my fridge and just fill up a big mug regularly or just take a 5 gulp pull from it as I walk by the fridge.

- Workout:  religiously Monday thru Friday.   M/W/F = 1 hr cardio + 30 mins weights.   T/Th: 1 hr cardio  (take Sat and Sun off to recover...or if miss one of the weekdays I make it up on one of the weekend free days)

- Full body stretching:  Monday thru Friday I do it as the warmup to my daily workout (about 10 mins).   Sat and Sunday just do on my own in my place.    I really concentrate on my hamstrings and lower back.

- Ab Belt:  Monday thru Friday, 30 mins each day.  I hate situps and crunches and weak lower back from college football injuries, so this helps me keep feeling tone and tight.  It's an easy copout, but it really does work and I can put it on and just go about normal life for those 30 minutes.

- Testosterone replacement therapy, along with misc. vitamin injections that I was low in per blood tests  (Vitamin D & B12).  Went from 320 testosterone to now at 790. (goal is to be at 800 to feel the best)

- Ipamorelin shot to help with leaning out and increase muscle mass (Monday through Friday)

- Daily Positive Manifestation:  15 mins of reading a self help type of book and thanking the universe for all that is good in my life.    Anybody with good recommendations for future reading?

- Daily Kegel exercises:  I do this while I'm doing my 15 min of positive manifestation above.  I'm dating younger women, so ya' know.

- Teeth whitening:  at home gel from Amazon inside one of my old Invisalign retainers.   30 minutes twice a week  (Monday and Friday).

- Facial smoothing:  use both Gua Sha stone and Facia Blaster techniques  (about 10 mins total daily)

- Derma Roller face with special moisturizing serums after:  do once every 2 weeks (every other Sunday)

- Microdermabrasion facials:   every 4 weeks

- Daily facial care:  MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE, MOISTURIZE....and use quality products.   I have a morning moisturizer that has spf 30 in it and doesn't leave the white clown look after.  Also have a night moisturizer with no spf but goes on smooth and cooling.

- Blemishes: Colloidal Silver on a Qtip until the blemish clears up

- Daily morning Vitamins:  Vitamin C (for clearer whites of my eyes),  Silymarin Milk Thistle extract (Liver health), Biotin (hair, nails, skin health)

- Before Bed routine:  brush teeth (duh), swish mouth with Listerine Total Care with alcohol...really helps gum health, night repair eye cream to help with under eye bags and eye wrinkles.

- Massage:  once per month, 90 minutes (firm pressure...not deep tissue, but not total relaxation either)

- No smoking or recreational drugs.  I stick to alcohol a couple nights a week (out on dates or with friends)
You probably get 95% of the results through drinking water, good diet, and exercise/stretching. Glad to hear you're feeling good. 

# of bowel movements per day down?
I have 2 per day like clockwork

First one is usually after the first few sips of my Monster every morning.  For some reason that opens the floodgates.

2nd one is usually mid-afternoon after the Lunch smoothie

Oh, and get a BIDET.  If you know, you know.  If you don't know, you're missing out.

What I do is just not giving a #### what others think. Someday I feel 30 some days I feel 60.

My mind always feels young then I remember I'm 50 and I shouldn't be stair surfing

You do more facial work in a week than I've done in my life.

:oldunsure:  
I just started doing all of this over the past year.   The older you get the more important it is.   I used to just wash my face and put on some cheap moisturizer and that was it.  It catches up with you fast so best to be proactive with it.

That list is a 6/10 on the AAA Daily Routine Scale:

6. Mostly standard activities mixed with some crazy OCD - overkill activities (maybe above average locally)

Curious to know what you think are the crazy OCD overkill activities?  Genuine question.    

I just started doing all of this over the past year.   The older you get the more important it is.   I used to just wash my face and put on some cheap moisturizer and that was it.  It catches up with you fast so best to be proactive with it.
Still more than Ive ever done : 🤣

One thing I've always thought was a little unfair - women aren't allowed to age gracefully as much as men.  I do the teeth cleaning and occasional whitening and also wash my face but that's it.  I have no doubt I could maybe look a little younger and/or better if I did all that stuff but 1. I don't care and 2. It's so much easier being a dude and get embracing the aging.  I don't color my hair either - lots of grey.

Still more than Ive ever done : 🤣
Moisturize and sunscreen your face daily at least, GB.   

I have "Get Mr. The Daily" lotion which is a moisturizer, spf 30 sunscreen and aftershave all in one.   It's hard to find good moisturizer with SPF protection that doesn't make your face all white (from the sunscreen).   This is a good one.

Nivea Men Maximum Hydration is also a good one that is a bit cheaper.  But, it's only spf 15.

Curious to know what you think are the crazy OCD overkill activities?  Genuine question.    

Obviously I was mostly joking - who am I to question people's routine.  The only thing in the list that is probably overkill, IMO, is the multiple facial items.  I'm not sure how much bang for your buck and time you are getting there.

I think some that I love that are good - water, stretching and oral hygiene. 

Something I would add is making sure you are getting enough sleep and probably have a consistent bed time in addition to routine (as much as possible)

Obviously I was mostly joking - who am I to question people's routine.  The only thing in the list that is probably overkill, IMO, is the multiple facial items.  I'm not sure how much bang for your buck and time you are getting there.

Something I would add is making sure you are getting enough sleep and probably have a consistent bed time in addition to routine (as much as possible)
The facial stuff is probably a bit overkill, but most of it doesn't take much time.  Just get in a daily/weekly routine.

The microdermabrasion facial appointments I've been doing the past year to more or less repair damage done to my skin over my lifetime. It's really helped a lot.  It's not a "relaxing" facial experience...it basically is a tool that lightly sands off the dead/damaged top layers of your skin to expose fresh skin underneath.  As it repairs itself, it produces collagen, etc.

Acne scars, sun spots, fine lines, etc. all get dramatically reduced.

I've gone 50 years without moisturizer, think I'm good 

Why do I need sunscreen if I'm going to be inside all day.   Of course I sunscreen if I will be out doors

Moisturize and sunscreen your face daily at least, GB.   

I have "Get Mr. The Daily" lotion which is a moisturizer, spf 30 sunscreen and aftershave all in one.   It's hard to find good moisturizer with SPF protection that doesn't make your face all white (from the sunscreen).   This is a good one.

Been using a good moisturizer since I was in my early 20s.  Totally agree on the ones with sunscreen.

What is the “ab belt”? Do you mean the wide belt you wear around your waist to support your lower back when you are doing squats at the gym?

What is the “ab belt”? Do you mean the wide belt you wear around your waist to support your lower back when you are doing squats at the gym?
It's actually called The Flex Belt and I edited the original post to avoid confusion.

From the website...

With The Flex Belt, you can train your abs even if you're too busy or too tired for a traditional workout. Our clinically demonstrated, patented medical-grade technology stimulates the nerves that make your muscles contract and relax. As a result, you get an effective abdominal workout that targets all the muscles in your abdomen.

Usually use what my wife uses, when my daughters were at home, we always had a great selection of high end stuff.

Been using this last year or so.   Costco always runs sales on Neutrogena products.  

Also this one.     I like the oil free stuff.
Thanks.   Neither of these have spf in them though.   I think they make the 2nd link one with spf if I remember correctly.  I used to use that 2nd link one forever before I recently switched up with advice from my facial woman (who is all about chemical free stuff on your face)

Just get in a daily/weekly routine.
Above all of what you said, this is probably the one thing I would recommend people do above anything else. It has to be a lifestyle, not a short term goal for it to be effective. We've all seen folks who yo-yo with the weight/life/whatever. For something to have the long term, lasting benefit to your life, it has to be a consistent part of your life. Get up early or do it at night, whatever but allocate an hour or however long it takes to exercise, move, walk, whatever but it has to be a consistent, repeatable pattern to see long term benefits in your life.

And I don't care how busy you are, we're all busy. Make time, you'll never regret that you did.

Stretching is really something I need to focus on. When I did my executive physical a couple months ago, I was good in every category except flexibility where I was in like the 35th percentile or something ridiculous.

Thanks.   Neither of these have spf in them though.   I think they make the 2nd link one with spf if I remember correctly.  I used to use that 2nd link one forever before I recently switched up with advice from my facial woman (who is all about chemical free stuff on your face)

What are you using now?

Above all of what you said, this is probably the one thing I would recommend people do above anything else. It has to be a lifestyle, not a short term goal for it to be effective. We've all seen folks who yo-yo with the weight/life/whatever. For something to have the long term, lasting benefit to your life, it has to be a consistent part of your life. Get up early or do it at night, whatever but allocate an hour or however long it takes to exercise, move, walk, whatever but it has to be a consistent, repeatable pattern to see long term benefits in your life.

And I don't care how busy you are, we're all busy. Make time, you'll never regret that you did.
This a good post. In reading @offdee's stuff in this thread they are many of the things that I did single pre-kids and my admitted first thought in reading the thread was "I wish I had time for 1/2 of this stuff," but, frankly, I have time still to watch TV and if I have time to do that I should make the time for more of the beneficial stuff. And less time for eating. 

Stretching is really something I need to focus on. When I did my executive physical a couple months ago, I was good in every category except flexibility where I was in like the 35th percentile or something ridiculous.

Been doing weight training for almost 30 years now at least 4-5 days a week.  I walk or do some sort of cardio everyday.

My hip and hamstring flexibility is not good.  Always feel so tight in those areas.  I love to workout, love exercise of all kinds, tried yoga to become more flexible and hated it.  Been following some stretch vids on youtube last couple months and seeing some improvement although it is slow.

What are you using now?
I flip flop between the two below depending on how much sun exposure I plan to get.  The Get Mr. one is more expensive and thicker. The Nivea is more spreadable and "moisturizing" but less spf

----

Nivea Men Maximum Hydration is also a good one that is a bit cheaper.  But, it's only spf 15.

My nighttime non-spf moisturizer (after night shower/face wash) is Arbonne RE9 Advanced.   This is great stuff.

Yep, it's an easy one to just say "ah forget it, no big deal", but if you commit 10 mins to it daily it will make a noticeable difference.   I used to bend over wrong picking up a couch cushion or raising a toilet seat and spark my sciatic nerve.  I realized it was due to my tight hamstrings.    Now I stretch those bad boys daily and haven't had a big blowout all year.    Just more mobility and motion will help your posture as you get older as well to try and avoid that hunched over look.

Block off 30 mins in your work calendar everyday right before lunch or something to remind you.

Exercise, including weight training, cardio and stretching, is important to feel healthy.   Diet is the main driver of weight since most of us are not able to work out hard enough and long enough to erase the intake of too many calories.   Sleep is most important to me though when it comes to how I feel throughout a day.   

This a good post. In reading @offdee's stuff in this thread they are many of the things that I did single pre-kids and my admitted first thought in reading the thread was "I wish I had time for 1/2 of this stuff," but, frankly, I have time still to watch TV and if I have time to do that I should make the time for more of the beneficial stuff. And less time for eating. 
Agreed, it's all what you want to prioritize.  I was the exact same way where I didn't put importance on this stuff and finally just said this all comes first and the relaxation stuff is a reward at the end of the day after I accomplished my daily betterment checklist.   I legitly have a Word Doc pulled up on my work laptop all day and as I complete a thing I highlight it in yellow.   Once the day is fully yellow I can just enjoy whatever the rest of that night.  (copy and paste of my doc below)

MONDAY                                                                                                                                                24 weeks completed (started 1/5/22)

-          Testosterone, Vitamins & Anastrozole ½ pill

-          Kegel exercises

-          Positive Manifestation (15 mins, thinking/reading)

-          Workout (weights)  

-          Flex Belt (abs)

-          Teeth Whitening

-          Facial Smoothing (Gua Sha & Facia Blaster)

-          Ipamorelin shot for lean & muscle (9pm)

TUESDAY

-          Workout (cardio only)

WEDNESDAY

THURSDAY

-          Testosterone & Anastrozole ½ pill

-          Workout (cardio only)

FRIDAY

-          Teeth Whitening

SATURDAY

-          Gonadorelin shot

-          Stretch

-          ** NO Ipamorelin shot today **

SUNDAY

-          Gonadorelin shot

-          Stretch

-          Derma Roller Face with serums  ** do every other week **

-          ** NO Ipamorelin shot today **

I've had good success over the last several weeks by adding a short (~ 5 minutes) routine before I get out of bed in the morning (or right after the morning pee) and again while lying in bed before going to sleep. I'd picked these up from YouTube vids from Dr. Kristie Ennis.

Some context of how I got into this, and recommend for anybody interested..

- First watched the Netflix movie called "The Secret".  This will get you curious and versed in this mindset.   The first 10 mins or so are pretty hokey, but stick it out til the end, it gets more enlightening

- Per the show I created a Vision Board of sorts in my home office above my work computer so I literally look at all my life desires and goals consistently throughout the day (work from home).  I realize most guys won't take this step, but just sharing what I did.

- Then I read the book "The Magic" by Rhonda Byrne.   It's a book associated with The Secret show...kind of puts the ideas in action.  I read this through about 3 times to just drive home all the advice and make it second nature.  The book suggests all kinds of daily "activities" which I started to do but gave up.   So again, goes to show I'm not this diehard nerd with this stuff...to me the messaging and remembering them throughout your day is more important.  I just chose to read it multiple times than do all the actual exercises.

- Then I read the book "The Magic of Manifesting Love" by Ryuu Shinohara.   I'm a single dude dating so this interested me a bit....attracting the right type of women

- I bought the book that everyone recommends "How to Win Friends and Influence People", but got through about 3 chapters and it just wasn't speaking to me.   Lot's of example stories and not enough tangible advice for me.  Just wasn't a fan of the writing style

- I'm presently reading "Models- Attract Women through Honesty" by Mark Manson.   Again single guy in a dating world so interesting to me.  Basically about how attracting women isn't through pickup lines and corny stuff, but just living a better more interesting life, not being needy and being polarizing.   

As I note I just read about 15 mins per day which is usually half a chapter or so and during those 15 mins clench my kegel muscle to high heaven, lol.

Anybody have any suggestions for other good books for me?  Doesn't need to be about positive manifestation or attraction....just bettering myself as a man basically.

I've had good success over the last several weeks by adding a short (~ 5 minutes) routine before I get out of bed in the morning (or right after the morning pee) and again while lying in bed before going to sleep. I'd picked these up from YouTube vids from Dr. Kristie Ennis.
Nice, that's perfect!  First thing I do when I get out of bed is do that yoga pose where you clench your hands together and point your arms and hands straight up to the ceiling and just reach and extend your body vertically as far as it can go.  Then at the top of that reach, stretch torso slowly from side to side....kind of like stretching out your rib cage and lower back.  Takes 1 minute, but really gets your upper body stretched out quickly.

Some context of how I got into this, and recommend for anybody interested..

- First watched the Netflix movie called "The Secret".  This will get you curious and versed in this mindset.   The first 10 mins or so are pretty hokey, but stick it out til the end, it gets more enlightening

- Per the show I created a Vision Board of sorts in my home office above my work computer so I literally look at all my life desires and goals consistently throughout the day (work from home).  I realize most guys won't take this step, but just sharing what I did.

- Then I read the book "The Magic" by Rhonda Byrne.   It's a book associated with The Secret show...kind of puts the ideas in action

- Then I read the book "The Magic of Manifesting Love" by Ryuu Shinohara.   I'm a single dude dating so this interested me a bit....attracting the right type of women

- I bought the book that everyone recommends "How to Win Friends and Influence People", but got through about 3 chapters and it just wasn't speaking to me.   Lot's of example stories and not enough tangible advice for me.  Just wasn't a fan of the writing style

- I'm not reading "Models- Attract Women through Honesty" by Mark Manson.   Again single guy in a dating world so interesting to me.  Basically about how attracting women isn't through pickup lines and corny stuff, but just living a better more interesting life, not being needy and being polarizing.   

As I note I just read about 15 mins per day which is usually half a chapter or so and during those 15 mins clench my kegel muscle to high heaven, lol.

Anybody have any suggestions for other good books for me?  Doesn't need to be about positive manifestation or attraction....just bettering myself as a man basically.
Of the things you listed this is the least likely for me to ever do. I have little to no respect for self-help, motivational speaking, etc. type stuff. 

Just had the kids over for Father's day. I was always a gym rat most of my life but like everyone, you have highs and lows and it's tough sometimes to stay motivated. Anyhow, I used to smoke 2+ packs a day and decided when they were born I wanted to be around for them, coaching, helping with school activities, whatever. If you've ever smoked a lot, you know you're not getting after it on the pitch so I quit smoking and started working out again. Because young kids eat up all the time, I had to go from working out at night to early in the morning. The oldest is 25 so been doing it for a while, get up at 4:30am everyday but Sat-Sun. Get my work done and by 6:30 or so I'm on with my day. Saturday's are long run/bike days now so 2-3 hrs usually. Tried not to inconvenience the family from working out, became a way of life.

Of the things you listed this is the least likely for me to ever do. I have little to no respect for self-help, motivational speaking, etc. type stuff. 
Yep, I totally get it. I really was the same way.   

What I'd recommend is just take an hour one night and watch "The Secret" on Netflix and just have an open mind and see if it makes you curious.   If you still think lame after that than all good.  I thought I'd feel that same way when someone recommended it to me.

I have an interesting story when I first started the whole positive manifestation thing.  It was about 1 week after watching that movie and thinking about all the things I'd like more of in life.  One, of course, is more money.   I was positively thinking about how some money would come into my life unexpectedly.

I walked down to my underground parking to go to my car and was throwing out an Amazon box or something.  Normally I would just chuck it into the dumpster from 6 ft away and go to my car, but for some reason this time I looked inside the dumpster before I put the box in there.    I kid you not, there was a vintage authentic Larry Bird jersey just sitting on top of the trash.  I literally thought I was being punked and looked around for cameras or something.  I grabbed it out and it had a couple of little surface stains on it (that were easily removed for $4 at a dry cleaner) , but this thing was perfect.   Authentic NBA patches. stitched on lettering (white jersey with green lettering).  Then I see this thing still has a tag on it from where it was bought....$380 was the list price.   For those that know collecting and fashion these old school jerseys are hot commodities ....women wear them as dresses, etc.    Anyways, I posted this all on Facebook with pictures of it in the dumpster, and one of my high school friends who lives in Florida (and I haven't seen in 15+ years) posts how one of his neighbors, who he's good friends with, knows Larry Bird and Larry's brother and goes golfing with them often. Ship him the jersey and he'll get him to sign it.

This damn jersey sitting in the dumpster just turned into a $1K+ sports collectible piece.    My theory is some upset ex-wife or girlfriend cleared out all of her guy's crap from her apartment and just had no clue, but I'll never know.   Right then and there I became a believer in positive thinking brings positive things and it just turned into a daily exercise. Even if you don't really believe in it, thinking positively can never be a bad thing.

Totally agree but one thing I'll point out that stinks is you can't really "bank" exercise and sleep like you can other things (maybe there's more but those two are a b-word) - I would gladly work out 3.5 hours on a Saturday morning vs. 30 minutes each day.  I think it's the each day that makes it so hard for folks.  Sure, some people would still find an excuse but there's some days where it's super challenging but then other days (mostly Saturdays) where I could workout 5-10 hours if I was capable and I could then spread that over the upcoming week.  Same with sleep - banking sleep would be awesome

Totally agree but one thing I'll point out that stinks is you can't really "bank" exercise and sleep like you can other things (maybe there's more but those two are a b-word) - I would gladly work out 3.5 hours on a Saturday morning vs. 30 minutes each day.  I think it's the each day that makes it so hard for folks.  Sure, some people would still find an excuse but there's some days where it's super challenging but then other days (mostly Saturdays) where I could workout 5-10 hours if I was capable and I could then spread that over the upcoming week.  Same with sleep - banking sleep would be awesome
Man if only. I'd love to bank sleep, would be a super power. I usually go to bed around 11 and up at 4:30.

Question....do you actually work out once per week....3.5 hrs every Saturday?  Or do you just say "F it" because it's not as good as 30 mins. per day every day?

My stance is....then commit to just working out hard as hell every Saturday.  It's still way better than not working out at all.   Then M thru F just incorporate some simple at home stretching, pushups and situps before you sit down to relax for the night.  10-15 mins max.

Users who are viewing this thread