What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Krista4's Beatles 1-25 List Thread! Count down will start Mon Feb 14 noon ET. Will take new lists til then... (1 Viewer)

I'm not a big Beatles fan but never a hater either. I've never owned an album from them and don't think I've ever listened to one all the way through. I actually thought I knew most of their songs and am surprised how many I never heard before. Some that I really liked, like Sexy Sadie and Blue Jay Way. I've spent the past few hours putting together my list, just one more to cut and mostly in order now.

I won't have anything to really contribute to the discussion but I'll submit my list as a prerequisite for this class. 

I'm not a big Beatles fan but never a hater either. I've never owned an album from them and don't think I've ever listened to one all the way through. I actually thought I knew most of their songs and am surprised how many I never heard before. Some that I really liked, like Sexy Sadie and Blue Jay Way. I've spent the past few hours putting together my list, just one more to cut and mostly in order now.

I won't have anything to really contribute to the discussion but I'll submit my list as a prerequisite for this class. 
Yours will make list number 62. What you did is where I was in 2001. My daughter was a huge fan and I bought all the CDs for a 7 week trip around the country to learn all the songs. 

I'm very curious if there are going to be any unanimous songs.  There are a some obvious ones that I would expect to be on most lists, but I'm not sure if any will be on all the lists.
I am guessing that my list on its own will torpedo just about every major song. Here is a breakdown of my abomination of a list:

Past Masters - 6
Magical Mystery Tour - 4
Sgt. Pepper's - 4
Rubber Soul - 3
Beatles For Sale - 2
The White Album - 1
A Hard Day's Night - 1
Meet The Beatles - 1
Revolver - 1
Yellow Submarine - 1
Abbey Road - 1
Help! - 0
Please Please Me - 0
Let It Be - 0

I only have 5 songs on my list of the 27 songs that are on the 1 compilation album. I like what I like, and in the case of The Beatles, I would pick many less popular songs over their bigger hits. Don't get me wrong, I embrace their entire catalog and listen to any and all of their songs all the time. I love the traditional big hits too . . . just not as much.

I'm sure there are a bazillion playlists on Soundcloud, Spotify, YouTube, et al.

Just wanted to share this one:

the complete Beatles playlist - every album and every single

the singles are tossed in by release date, e.g., between full albums (except for the first single Love Me Do

I have to confess that up until 3 years ago I didn't really give the pre-psychedelic Beatles much respect. I knew Hard Day's Night and Help! were both strong but I always kind of wrote off Please Please Me, With The Beatles, and Beatles for Sale.  6 covers per album and practically everything is 2-2:30 long? Whatever. I appreciated Beatlemania for it's cultural impact, but felt like it's kind of hard to give them much credit for their craftsmanship. It took 7 albums to write a song (Taxman) that wasn't about hearts aflutter. 

Anyway, I'm an idiot.

@krista4 kind of got me started rethinking many of preconceived notions about the Fab Four catalog back when the 1-204 thread was all the rage. When I saw the commercials for Get Back this fall, I was intrigued. Enough to order Disney+, but not enough to watch it Thanksgiving weekend. Might have taken me 7-10 days to get around to it. TBH I was so bored E1 and E2 (until Billy Preston turned up.) It was OK...some good parts.

So none of that explains what has happened over the last 9-10 weeks. I've become a complete fanatic. Watched several Beatles related documentaries, literally hundreds of non-music Beatles clips, read a 900+ page biography, rewatched Get Back two more times (+ Let It Be nagra recordings), listened to a 28 hour Anthology Revisited, and have been playing their music every day, nonstop. I'm half expecting to come home one day to find my family and friends sitting in a circle of folding chairs, ready to do a Beatles intervention.

Probably the best activity of all those obsessions has been to only listen to their music chronologically. There is something magical about listening to an entire album or one side, just as one might have if it was a vinyl release. Especially WRT the first four albums, it really gives you a deeper appreciation of their evolution as songwriters. I'm a geek for Super Deluxe/50th editions and ...Naked and all that, but there's genuine depth in the original canon. It's an everlasting wellspring that keeps bubbling up new favorites.

speaking of which, just saw that Dis+ did 37% more biz in their final qtr of '21 than '20 ... i'll go out on a yuuuuuuge limb and venture a guess that the overwhelming majority of that was for "Get Back"

now, plz cancel. 

PLEASE. 

tyvm. 

I'm sure there are a bazillion playlists on Soundcloud, Spotify, YouTube, et al.

Just wanted to share this one:

the complete Beatles playlist - every album and every single

the singles are tossed in by release date, e.g., between full albums (except for the first single Love Me Do

I have to confess that up until 3 years ago I didn't really give the pre-psychedelic Beatles much respect. I knew Hard Day's Night and Help! were both strong but I always kind of wrote off Please Please Me, With The Beatles, and Beatles for Sale.  6 covers per album and practically everything is 2-2:30 long? Whatever. I appreciated Beatlemania for it's cultural impact, but felt like it's kind of hard to give them much credit for their craftsmanship. It took 7 albums to write a song (Taxman) that wasn't about hearts aflutter. 

Anyway, I'm an idiot.

@krista4 kind of got me started rethinking many of preconceived notions about the Fab Four catalog back when the 1-204 thread was all the rage. When I saw the commercials for Get Back this fall, I was intrigued. Enough to order Disney+, but not enough to watch it Thanksgiving weekend. Might have taken me 7-10 days to get around to it. TBH I was so bored E1 and E2 (until Billy Preston turned up.) It was OK...some good parts.

So none of that explains what has happened over the last 9-10 weeks. I've become a complete fanatic. Watched several Beatles related documentaries, literally hundreds of non-music Beatles clips, read a 900+ page biography, rewatched Get Back two more times (+ Let It Be nagra recordings), listened to a 28 hour Anthology Revisited, and have been playing their music every day, nonstop. I'm half expecting to come home one day to find my family and friends sitting in a circle of folding chairs, ready to do a Beatles intervention.

Probably the best activity of all those obsessions has been to only listen to their music chronologically. There is something magical about listening to an entire album or one side, just as one might have if it was a vinyl release. Especially WRT the first four albums, it really gives you a deeper appreciation of their evolution as songwriters. I'm a geek for Super Deluxe/50th editions and ...Naked and all that, but there's genuine depth in the original canon. It's an everlasting wellspring that keeps bubbling up new favorites.
I'm just barely old enough to hear their oldest stuff first hand (big sister spent her babysitting allowance well). Some real gems inside those 2 to 3 minute wonders.

Happy to have you here!

I only have 5 songs on my list of the 27 songs that are on the 1 compilation album. I like what I like, and in the case of The Beatles, I would pick many less popular songs over their bigger hits. Don't get me wrong, I embrace their entire catalog and listen to any and all of their songs all the time. I love the traditional big hits too . . . just not as much.

To the point of our continuing discussion of "chalk," I submitted lists from my mom and her husband today, and neither of them had "A Day In The Life" on their list.  And I think between the two of them they added three new songs to the countdown, even after 60+ prior lists.  A lot of people submitting are similar to you in this:  they like what they like!  There are no wrong answers here at all.*

*Other than "A Taste of Honey."

speaking of which, just saw that Dis+ did 37% more biz in their final qtr of '21 than '20 ... i'll go out on a yuuuuuuge limb and venture a guess that the overwhelming majority of that was for "Get Back"

now, plz cancel. 

PLEASE. 

tyvm. 

I'd be surprised if the Beatles reached more eyeballs than the platform's Disney, Marvel or Star Wars tentpole properties.  The production costs of Get Back were comparatively low compared to a sci-fi series or feature.

I'd be surprised if the Beatles reached more eyeballs than the platform's Disney, Marvel or Star Wars tentpole properties.  The production costs of Get Back were comparatively low compared to a sci-fi series or feature.

- they added 37% more subscribers as compared to last qtr of '20 ... i'll still say "Get Back" had a great deal to do with that kinda surge. 

ETA: will be interesting to see how much of that 37% they kept after "Get Back"

Last edited by a moderator:

Keep listening and by the time we get to the meat you probably will. I'm going to finish trip #3 through the catalog tonight and have already learned quite a bit...especially what to skip. 

I'm just barely old enough to hear their oldest stuff first hand (big sister spent her babysitting allowance well). Some real gems inside those 2 to 3 minute wonders.
I know we had quite a few Beatles singles in the (ill-cared for) stack of 45s the four of us shared. Once we started getting allowances, jobs, etc, we started buying albums and we didn't have to share (mainly bc my brother would drive us nuts by scratching albums or putting his greasy fingers ON THE VINYL) if we didn't want to - well that was like 2-3 years after they broke up. The only album I remember was Yellow Submarine and that was bc it was the first movie we all saw without adults.

But for Christmas 1973 mom got us all the Red album (1962-66) and the Blue album (1967-70), with the stipulation it had to stay in the family room so anyone could listen to it. Those two were a gateway drug for a lot of latent Beatles listeners. (ASIDE - mom loved Christmas and we always got 1-2 family gifts that everyone shared....like a new stereo or PONG or board games)

Regrettably I never circled back to them. But I'm really enjoying the rediscovery process a ton.

Except NOT RIGHT NOW bc Honey Pie just came on and I wanna stab someone. 

- they added 37% more subscribers as compared to last qtr of '20 ... i'll still say "Get Back" had a great deal to do with that kinda surge. 

ETA: will be interesting to see how much of that 37% they kept after "Get Back"

DIS are the only ones with the data

Happy to have you here!

To the point of our continuing discussion of "chalk," I submitted lists from my mom and her husband today, and neither of them had "A Day In The Life" on their list.  And I think between the two of them they added three new songs to the countdown, even after 60+ prior lists.  A lot of people submitting are similar to you in this:  they like what they like!  There are no wrong answers here at all.*

*Other than "A Taste of Honey."
I'd offer up Rocky Raccoon into consideration for the wrong answer category, but I know there will probably be a number of people that vote for it. Not sure how that got brought up in the U2 thread. As far as my list goes, I'm guessing that if all The Beatles songs were placed in a random song generator, there would be more popular songs from a randomly generated list than on mine (at least of the core biggies). I'm sure there will be other people that vote for the same songs as me. I didn't pick anything WAY out there like Sie Liebt Dich. I mostly loaded up on deeper album cuts.

I'm going through a phase in the Zeppelin thread where people look at the lists as some sort of a contest. Do people really get a rush because they have more songs left than someone else? Like you said, we all like what we like. It's not like I am ever going to say "OMG!!!! Krista's mom didn't list A Day In The LIfe!!! What a vile, contemptable woman!!! She's a witch . . . let's burn her at the stake!!!" SPOILER ALERT: I didn't include it either.

I'd offer up Rocky Raccoon into consideration for the wrong answer category, but I know there will probably be a number of people that vote for it. Not sure how that got brought up in the U2 thread. As far as my list goes, I'm guessing that if all The Beatles songs were placed in a random song generator, there would be more popular songs from a randomly generated list than on mine (at least of the core biggies). I'm sure there will be other people that vote for the same songs as me. I didn't pick anything WAY out there like Sie Liebt Dich. I mostly loaded up on deeper album cuts.

I'm going through a phase in the Zeppelin thread where people look at the lists as some sort of a contest. Do people really get a rush because they have more songs left than someone else? Like you said, we all like what we like. It's not like I am ever going to say "OMG!!!! Krista's mom didn't list A Day In The LIfe!!! What a vile, contemptable woman!!! She's a witch . . . let's burn her at the stake!!!" SPOILER ALERT: I didn't include it either.
There are about 5 to 6 lists as random as yours.  

I'd offer up Rocky Raccoon into consideration for the wrong answer category, but I know there will probably be a number of people that vote for it. Not sure how that got brought up in the U2 thread. 

@Alex P Keatonmentioned it to lure me cruelly into the thread.  :)   JK, GBAPK, I'm enjoying the U2 thread and wish I'd visited it earlier in the process.

I am sure there will be some chalky lists and some that are a lot more quirky and diverse. I initially replied to someone who asked if there would be a unanimous selection across all ballots. I looked at my list, and I don't see a song that everyone else would pick. The more songs in a performer's catalog, the more the voting will be spread out.

I'd offer up Rocky Raccoon into consideration for the wrong answer category
Not a Top 25 for me or most - there's honestly a lot to hate about it, especially Paul's awful opener - but it's got a special place in my hear. On my last Mediterranean while I was in the Navy, my friends and I happened upon a group of young French kids sitting by a bonfire on the beach, drinking beers and singing songs. Introduced ourselves, they were super chill, so we plopped our cooler down beside them. Most of the tunes we didn't know....but then the guy with the guitar played Rocky Raccoon. It was kind of amazing to sing along with a bunch of strangers

That's the crazy thing about their catalog - there are about 125 songs that could be in my Top 25 on any given day. 

Expand  

Anarchy01 through 98 must not all be participating

I am sure there will be some chalky lists and some that are a lot more quirky and diverse. I initially replied to someone who asked if there would be a unanimous selection across all ballots. I looked at my list, and I don't see a song that everyone else would pick. The more songs in a performer's catalog, the more the voting will be spread out.
I really don't think any of the lists came in chalky.    The other 90 percent usually have 3 to maybe 6 or 7 of the Top 15 and the rest of their lists are all over the place. 

94 songs have at least 4 votes.  

I also don't think any two lists are remotely the same at all. 

It's amazing to me to see all the different ways and styles that people enjoy 

I really don't think any of the lists came in chalky.    The other 90 percent usually have 3 to maybe 6 or 7 of the Top 15 and the rest of their lists are all over the place. 

I think a completely different question / exercise would be to figure out how many songs would people keep from a band's entire catalog. As a for instance, the first go round on ranking the U2 songs was to rank 228 songs. A different question would be how many and which songs would someone want to have in their personal collection. For a band like U2, I was around 50/50 or 60/40.

For a band like The Beatles, my list would be pretty long. I'd have to think pretty hard to come up with 10 songs I don't like. Probably all of Side Two of Yellow Submarine would get axed. I might be hard pressed to come up with 10 non-instrumental movie soundtrack songs. I'd have to think more about it, but I'm guessing I'd keep 95% of their catalog and pass on 5% . . . maybe even 98% / 2%.

Once we're through it, it would be interesting to know who was the most "chalky" compared to our countdown, as opposed to chalky in whatever way we're all thinking of it now.

I think a completely different question / exercise would be to figure out how many songs would people keep from a band's entire catalog. As a for instance, the first go round on ranking the U2 songs was to rank 228 songs. A different question would be who many and which songs would someone want to have in their personal collection. For a band like U2, I was around 50/50 or 60/40.

For a band like The Beatles, my list would be pretty long. I'd have to think pretty hard to come up with 10 songs I don't like. Probably all of Side Two of Yellow Submarine would get axed. I might be hard pressed to come up with 10 non-instrumental movie soundtrack songs. I'd have to think more about it, but I'm guessing I'd keep 95% of their catalog and pass on 5% . . . maybe even 98% / 2%.

Yeah, that's an interesting exercise and a good point about this countdown, too.  I probably have ~10 songs that are auto-skips/change the channel for me.  Three of them have "honey" in the title.

I think it won't take me too long to arrange the lists in the database so that I can manipulate that data better like 99 did in the zep thread. 

All I've done so far is cut and paste the lists sent to me on another tab in the spreadsheet.    I have three days to do that.  Lol.  

I think it won't take me too long to arrange the lists in the database so that I can manipulate that data better like 99 did in the zep thread. 

All I've done so far is cut and paste the lists sent to me on another tab in the spreadsheet.    I have three days to do that.  Lol.  
Assuming you are using Excel, if it helps any, I found the best way to set things up was listing all the songs in the first lefthand column going north and south. I set the column width for column A at 16. You don't need to enter the full name of the song, just enough for you to tell what it is. So "For The Benefit" would be sufficient. For all of the other columns, I believe I set the column width to 2.15. The goal is to compress the columns with the rankings to be able to fit as many columns on the screen as you can.

On a separate tab, I first entered the letters of the alphabet starting with B in column A. So going down in the first column of tab 2 . . . B, C, D, F, etc. I had 62 LZ rankers, so on row 62 in cell A62, it has BK. In column B, I assigned the name of the ranker for the list I was about to enter that would correspond to a dedicated column that his or her list would appear in on the first tab. For Zeppelin, you are my AU column. You were my 46th list. On row 46, cell A46 has a BK in it and cell B46 says Getzlaf15. Back on the first tab, all of your rankings are in column BK. That's how I could quickly tell who ranked things where.

What I did differently than you, I never added anyone's list to the spreadsheet. Here's how I did it which I found to be the most efficient way. I am by no means a spreadsheet guy, so there is probably a better way. After entering the names for all the songs, I then sorted them alphabetically. I had the spreadsheet open on my computer, but I had my Footballguys messages open on my phone. Starting at the top of each list, I awarded the points based on the ranking of each song.

If you were the first list that came in, I would assign you the B column (song names are in the A column). If Hey Jude was your #1 song, I'd find Hey Jude listed in the A column and enter 25 in the corresponding cell in the B column. Let's say alphabetically Hey Jude was in row A87. Put a 25 in cell B87. If No Reply was the rankers #2 song and No Reply was in row A129, put a 24 in cell B129. Rinse and repeat for all 25 songs.

With all the points for each song entered from that list, I then sorted everything in Column B from largest to smallest. I then added a single 0 in whatever song follows the song with 1 point. I then just clicked and held the left mouse button on the bottom corner of the box with a 0 in it (which for the first list should be cell B26). Then I dragged my mouse all the way to the last song on the list. That will auto fill every cell in column B with a 0 to represent that all those songs did not receive a vote. At that point, the column with the list you just entered should have the songs in the order they were ranked and the points should be listed from 25 down to 1. You should spot check to make sure the spreadsheet matches the list.

Now highlight everything on the tab and sort column A alphabetically and the songs will be listed from A to Z again. That makes it very easy to locate the songs when you enter the points from each list.

You can then repeat this process for 62 (or however many) lists. The one thing you have to be careful of is you have to highlight everything on that tab when you sort EVERY SINGLE TIME you sort or the data will get messed up. I learned that lesson the hard way and had to start over when the data got messed up. I started saving the spreadsheet under a different name multiple times in case I screwed up again (and thus could revert to a database file with accurate data).

When you are done entering all the lists, you can do a simple auto sort. Highlight all the data you entered plus one blank column, and it will total all the points. Then highlight everything on the page again and sort by that column. For Zeppelin with 62 lists, my master point total would be column BL. (You will have to widen that column or the totals won't show up.)

My Zeppelin spread sheet has all the data from all the songs in one tab on one screen that I don't have to scroll or do anything at all to see it. I can see EVERY VOTE from EVERY LIST and the TOTAL POINTS all at once. I got more sophisticated from that point and started color coding #1 songs, Top 5 songs, people's first songs to appear, etc. It might sound hard, but the process is pretty easy, and for me I found this approach much easier than having to deal with 62 or 70 lists added INTO THE DATABASE FILE directly.

My first tab for Zeppelin in row 24 says:
Hey, Hey, What  18 6  23  0  23  14  0  0  2  0  0  0 (I only included the first 12 lists here.) That's how each song should appear. If you get confused, I can either send you a screen shot or email you the Zeppelin file.

Almost forgot!

Speaking of "A Day In the Life," on this date in 1967, a symphony of 40 or so musicians recorded the orchestral build at the end of the song.  George Martin's notes to them included, at the beginning of the section, the lowest note for each instrument to play and, at the end of the section, the high note for each instrument to play, and at the end of each bar within the segment an idea of which note they should be at.  He also indicated that the segment should begin quietly and build in volume to the loudest note at the end.  His final instruction was to do their own thing instead of, as in usual orchestration, fitting within what the other instruments were doing.  Then he just left it to each musician to figure out how they would get between the two points, something that classical musicians are not used to doing!

The session was attended by other musicians such as Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Donovan, Michael Nesmith, and Marianne Faithfull.  At the end of the first recording of the orchestra (there were 4-5 in total), everyone, including the orchestral musicians freed from their usual chains of conformity, burst into applause.

After the other musicians had left, the Beatles decided that the orchestral ending was too jarring, so they recorded a final note of them humming.  This was later replaced with the final piano chord about which entire essays have been written to try to determine what the chord was.

Can I get in on this?  @Getzlaf15 and @krista4 - what do I do?

Yes, love to have you!!  Could you put together a list of your top 25 Beatles songs by end of Sunday night?  List of eligible songs is on the first page.  Most notably, we're counting the Abbey Road Medley as one song.  Otherwise it's pretty much as you'd expect.

If you can do a list, please send to Getzlaf.

I'm going through a phase in the Zeppelin thread where people look at the lists as some sort of a contest. Do people really get a rush because they have more songs left than someone else? 
On one hand I find this interest fascinating. On the other hand when those posts start to stream in I scroll past them until the subject changes. So maybe I don't find it fascinating after all.

Users who are viewing this thread