What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (9 Viewers)

Many of us have hypertension. Does it matter if it's being successfully treated, as far as death rates?
Same for me. We had a discussion about this sometime last week ... IIRC, @Terminalxylem found out that untreated hypertension was the risk factor, not merely being a hypertension patient who is managing with medicine.

Could have been @Tecumseh , @ProstheticRGK , or @ghostguy123. Pretty sure it was Terminalxylem, though.
I stand corrected if this is the case.

Didn’t see the press conference and way behind on the thread, what exactly did they say about hydroxychloroquine? Treatment? Prevention? Both? We just got a flood of prescriptions for it but both of our suppliers are completely out.

... OK. So, given the items in red above, do the lessons of the Chinese response transfer over to the "mathematics" of the U.S. response? Is lack of asymptomatic cases an artifact of the disease, or an artifact of the society-wide testing regimen?
They definitely don't transfer here.  

It's not uncommon to name pandemics/disease after the region it originated/affected.
True story - Spanish Flu did not originate in Spain.

Its a global pandemic.  It affects all of us.  My concern is the politicization of the virus will have a negative impact on people's perceptions of Asians as individuals, at a time when that is not helpful.  Lets focus on calling it by the scientific name - while we are still grappling with the effects, then let the historians sort it out for posterity sake.   

More diseases named after populations or places:

West Nile Virus  - Named after the West Nile District of Uganda discovered in 1937.

Guinea Worm - Named by European explorers for the Guinea coast of West Africa in the 1600s.

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever - Named after the mountain range spreading across western North America first recognized first in 1896 in Idaho.

Lyme Disease - Named after a large outbreak of the disease occurred in Lyme and Old Lyme, Connecticut in the 1970s.

Ross River Fever - Named after a mosquito found to cause the disease in the Ross River of Queensland, Australia by the 1960s. The first major outbreak occurred in 1928.

Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever - Named after its 1940s discovery in Omsk, Russia.

Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever - Named in 1976 for the Ebola River in Zaire located in central Africa.

Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) - Also known as “camel flu,” MERS was first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012 and all cases are linked to those who traveled to the Middle Eastern peninsula.

Valley Fever - Valley Fever earned its nickname from a 1930s outbreak San Joaquin Valley of California, though its first case came from Argentina.

Marburg Virus Disease - Named after Marburg, Germany in 1967.

Norovirus - Named after Norwalk, Ohio after an outbreak in 1968.

Zika Fever - First discovered in 1947 and named after the Zika Forest in Uganda.

Japanese Encephalitis - Named after its first case in Japan in 1871.

German Measles - Named after the German doctors who first described it in the 18th century. The disease is also sometimes referred to as “Rubella.”

Lassa Fever - Named after the being found in Lassa, Nigeria in 1969.

Legionnaire’s Disease - Named in 1976 following an outbreak of people contracting the lung infection after attending an American Legion convention in Philadelphia.

It's not surprising that the USA media, in the middle of an epic disaster, would get sidetracked on a 3-day long quest to prove Trump is a racist because he referred to it as a Chinese virus. (wording that CNN itself has used)

Last edited by a moderator:
NHI did a sample of 355 deaths in Italy and nearly half had 3+ preexisting health conditions.  

Every time someone dies from this virus, their age and general health should be documented.

All this panic in the media reminds me of an officer involved shooting.

Headline:  ”Police shoot another minority!”

Two days later, we find out he was wanted for murder, was armed, and shot at the police in a tiny blurb at the bottom of the page.

The Spanish Flu originated in the U.S. I wonder how it got to be called "Spanish Flu"?
Historically the data is inadequate to identify with certainty the pandemic's geographic origin.  Spain didn't censor the news as a neutral country like everyone else did, so its affect there was exaggerated and the name caught on.

Kids?  I see the nightmare many have with older kids and trying to get them moving.  At the age of ours, it's required non-stop interaction...keeps my mind off of the outside world for a while.
I take it you aren’t having to telework?

yeah im supposed to be at a gaming conference in SF this week getting open bar treatment from EPIC games. times have changed quickly
I got a buddy who was supposed to be there.  He's hoping to keep his job as he was the most recent hire (not sure just what he does, maybe on the production side for these gaming events?)

NHI did a sample of 355 deaths in Italy and nearly half had 3+ preexisting health conditions.  

Every time someone dies from this virus, their age and general health should be documented.

All this panic in the media reminds me of an officer involved shooting.

Headline:  ”Police shoot another minority!”

Two days later, we find out he was wanted for murder, was armed, and shot at the police in a tiny blurb at the bottom of the page.
We've known that pre-existing health conditions, especially among older people, are BY FAR the biggest "at-risk" group for over a month now.  I'm not sure what your point is, or why we need to document and release that on every death?  

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Cuomo has been great at the state level.  Mayor Deblasio, on the other hand, has been an absolute train wreck.  He was fighting back on school closures when everyone around the coutnry and in the NYC suburbs was implementing closures.  He's had his head in the sand.  Unfortunately with such a dense population, and so much reliance on public transportation, I have no doubt his refusal to act will end in tens of thousands of additional infections in the area.  

I also have no doubt that the NYC "shelter in place" order is coming, any minute.  I don't see how you avoid it with the steep jump in infections and the density here.  If they're doing this in NorCal, how in god's name do you not do it in Manhattan?   The pressure will just become overwhelming.

Deblasio just doing a really poor job here.  I get there are a lot of competing concerns, and concerns about putting kids at home and child care issues, but the major public health issue should trump all of this.  They've found a way to get it done in other places, and you need to get it done here.

Most everyone I know in the area lives in the suburbs now and have been telecommuting all week, and will be for the foreseeable future.  As I understand from my colleagues who are still heading into our office in 30 Rock, Manhattan is a ghost town.  So, even if Deblasio isn't acting, at least the people, in general, are.

But yeah, I have great concerns about the NYC area.  It's not surprising to me there has been a run on gun purchases in the Long Island suburbs.  People are anxious, and scared, and don't know what to do.  The guns will be totally useless--we're not about to come under massive looting and home invasion scenarios--but it's a sign of how people are feeling.
Thanks. Be safe GB.

It's not surprising that the USA media, in the middle of an epic disaster, would get sidetracked on a 3-day long quest to prove Trump is a racist because he referred to it as a Chinese virus. (wording that CNN itself has used)
Right, because they're not covering anything else.

Spanish Flu - 1918

Asian Flu - 1957

Russian Flu - 1889

Hong Kong Flu 1968

Japanese Smallpox - 735

It's not uncommon to name pandemics/disease after the region it originated/affected.
Interesting.  Notice anything unique about the dates of the ones you listed vs. the more recent pandemics (i.e. SARS, Ebola, Swine Flu, MERS, etc.).  Seems that the tradition of naming the virus after the place of origin has shifted to be a bit more culturally sensitive.  Ebola was named after a river to mask the specific origin, MERS conceals that it stands for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome. 

Indeed, 50 years ago many/most Americans would think nothing of referring to a Spaniard as a ****, a Russian as a Russkie, a Chinese person as a *****, etc. etc.  As we've matured as a nation and become more global as a world population we've come to see the downside of marking "others' with derogatory terms.  In addition, maybe ask yourself why it matters so much to you that it be called "the Chinese virus."  I know why it matters to me that it not be.

Thanks for listening.

Had our bi-weekly all-company meeting. Mandatory WFH extended through the end of April. Offering customers (restaurants/vacation/tourist businesses are a large part of our customer base) who cancel to instead receive their service for free for at least the next month in hopes of retaining them when things turn around. 30 day hiring freeze (re-evaluated after that), cutting as many non-essential expenses as possible. Fingers crossed I'll still have a job by the end of April (I'm a software engineer).

Didn’t start in Spain. May have started in Kansas or France. Got named the Spanish flu because Spain wasn’t involved in WWI and was reporting on the outbreak. How does any of this relate to the racists calling it the Chinese Flu?
You'd think they'd be way more offended if it didn't even come from Spain. 

Just for the record - I don't think Trump is being racist when he calls it the China Flu.

I think he is being irresponsible, and trying his best to create a false narrative, where the poor US response is blamed on anyone other than himself.

But - I don't think its a racist response - just immature and irresponsible.

From a Doctor friend of mine on FB:

"Just to be clear, my colleagues and I continued to take care of patients through the SARS and Ebola scares, 9/11, hurricane Sandy, and the shut down of the entire St Vincent’s Hospital. No virus with a ####### tiara on it is going to stop us."

There is a role for humor, sometimes gallows humor.  But it is also a reminder that the underlying message is of perseverance, dedication, and bravery. While we discuss is it safe to have a couple's night dinner, or to go out to the store for semi necessities, others are going to work because we depend on them.  Doctors and nurses at the forefront and the most risk. Risking their lives, for us. Police, Fire, and EMS. Truckers, workers at Pharmacies, the Banker, and well underpaid hourly workers at grocery stores, target/walmart, etc.

Just a reminder, that we should recognize the sacrifices of others, and also note that while this is a very, very, serious pandemic, there is a need to continue living.  Just do it as wisely as possible in consideration of your specific condition, needs, and those of your family and community.

During the Thai-cave-diving rescue in 2018, Elon Musk interjected himself by talking about how he has a mini-submarine that the rescuers could use to get everyone out. One of the world cave-diving experts (probably 1 of a half-dozen at his level in the world) that was on the ground in Thailand kindly (initially) asked Musk to stand aside and that his mini-sub would not be needed. After a little more back and forth, Musk proceeded to slander the guy on Twitter and deliver his mini-sub to Thailand anyway. IIRC, his mini-sub was still too big to fit through some of the bottlenecks they needed to get the kids through ... so Musk's sub was never used, and indeed was never seriously considered by the rescuers.
Wasn't this the twitter thing that devolved into Musk calling the diver a pedophile? 
I can't believe he got away with that

Users who are viewing this thread