What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst airport you've ever spent time in (1 Viewer)

LAX is hit or miss.  Terminal 2 and Tom Bradley are pretty good.  Terminal 3 sucks balls.

Though, I have to say the bus connection stop in TB is in Siberia - it's like a mile walk back to the lounges.
Flying back out through Ontario. Best airport I've ever been in. 

landed in Newark , wasn't the nicest or cleanest ive seen but just walked through it 
fly out of it Wednesday so will get a better idea of it then

wish they would allow smoking in the airport bathrooms.   Any smell, & I mean any smell is better than the crap smell in the bathrooms in Denver.  Also lines to the bathrooms are long  & security lines are looooooooooooooog, pre check or not.   not a fan of Denver airport at all.  After security better plan on 20 minutes to 30 to get to your gate & that's if you know the airport.   Just to get to the Denver airport from Denver can be 1 1/2 hours depending on traffic.   Phoenix airport is wonderful!!

Kansas City has moved to my hate list man. I’ve never in my life been somewhere where there’s more people wanting to use the restroom than stalls available. There was like a 15 minute wait last time which boggles my mind.  It’s got the same restroom of a gas station (after you pass through security) with tons of people around. 
Kansas City is the only airport where I couldn't wait to get on the plane to finally have a comfortable non-cramped place where I could sit and stretch out. 

OK, but how were the dining options and lavatories?  
Bathrooms are serviceable ...once you check for trip wires. 

As for Dining options, the Mess hall is a hike, and the AIr Force won't let you eat in theirs. The supply of the only Ken's dressing that's any good (Lite Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette. Balsamic with Honey) is always gone (the kbr issued AL Kayda, supplied food service contractors hoard it to sell to the locals for poppy fertilizer) .Anytime you want to skip the mystery meat in the regular chow line and just take your bedraggled, just off a patrol butt through the burger and fries line, some Oh three Jack Lalane wanna be is standing there with a celery stick in one hand and a kettle bell in the other giving you the guilt trip evil eye, Before all that, you have to wait like 15 minutes at the clearing barrel because there's always some doofus remf making sure you do it right. "Hey you didn't check your side arm" or "Hey, you didn't REALLY look into that chamber'.

Of course that's assuming you feel like eating after the C130 you flew in on dropped from 1,500 feet to landing in 5 seconds because drone jockey in Tampa riled up the locals by strafing a herd of goats with a Predator because he was hung over from the Florida - Florida St football game the night before.

The KC airport is weird.  Not sure why it is so small and set up so strangely.   
Locals love it.   IMO it's one of the worst airports in the US.   Reasons:

- only 4/5 gates per area, and each has its own security, which means the food options past security suck ballz 

- TSA precheck has weird rules, so you have to take stuff out of your bag (laptops, liquids).   Which defeats the whole purpose of precheck

- rental car requires a shuttle, and while it should be a short ride, for whatever reason I always end up sitting and waiting for what seems like ages to get the damn shuttle

On the plus side, they are building a new KC airport.  Thank god.

CDG is terrible. One of the terminals looks like some dystopian hell of crowding, squalor, and depression. Oh and obvious non-functional early 1970s design, but those things kinda go together.

I found the airports in China to be amazing. Great design, nice architecture, clean and modern. Sometimes flights can be 4 hours late for no reason though.

Flying out of Maracaibo 4 years ago (last time I went to Venezuela) was so depressing. No food or even water available, Long waits in various rooms for no reason, passenger stress super high due to a not insignificant fear that you may never leave or you'll shortly be extorted, or airport staff will steal everything you checked (not just valuables).

My wife travels for work to a number of interesting places, and I think she said that the airport in Sierra Leone is one of the worst. If you're in Freetown, the country's capital, to get to the airport you need to take a ferry or water taxi "speed boat" across the estuary of a river. That portion takes 45 - 60 mins and is not for the faint of heart. Then the facilities are as you would expect from a very poor country - not awesome in terms of amenities. Honestly, I'm not sure what level of corruption and attempted extortion she has to deal with, but I assume it's not insignificant.

CDG is terrible. One of the terminals looks like some dystopian hell of crowding, squalor, and depression. Oh and obvious non-functional early 1970s design, but those things kinda go together.
Not to mention the 40 foot windows - if you're connecting during a sunny day there is no getting shade anywhere.

- only 4/5 gates per area, and each has its own security, which means the food options past security suck ballz 

- TSA precheck has weird rules, so you have to take stuff out of your bag (laptops, liquids).   Which defeats the whole purpose of precheck

- rental car requires a shuttle, and while it should be a short ride, for whatever reason I always end up sitting and waiting for what seems like ages to get the damn shuttle

I’ve eaten at the “Royal diner” in the Delta terminal more times than I care to admit.  The server actually recognized me last time - I go there like 5/6x a year with at least a month in between. 

Last edited by a moderator:
For a city of its size, Berlin Tegel is a disappointment.  Just boarded a flight in Zurich, on the other hand, and it’s a wonderful airport.  
It's being replaced eventually by Brandenburg.  Apparently going to be the second most expensive structure on the planet.  One of the logistical concerns overlooked when the wall came down was Berlin would be better served by one state-of-the-art airport than 4 ####ty ones.

My wife travels for work to a number of interesting places, and I think she said that the airport in Sierra Leone is one of the worst. If you're in Freetown, the country's capital, to get to the airport you need to take a ferry or water taxi "speed boat" across the estuary of a river. That portion takes 45 - 60 mins and is not for the faint of heart. Then the facilities are as you would expect from a very poor country - not awesome in terms of amenities. Honestly, I'm not sure what level of corruption and attempted extortion she has to deal with, but I assume it's not insignificant.
I never went but one of my colleagues did (about 20 years ago). Back then there was a helicopter service run by two Russian pilots with a former military holicopter that would zip you across for 50 dollars. He claimed it was fast but equally frightening to the water taxis (and brought back photos). Obviously he survived...

It's being replaced eventually by Brandenburg.  Apparently going to be the second most expensive structure on the planet.  One of the logistical concerns overlooked when the wall came down was Berlin would be better served by one state-of-the-art airport than 4 ####ty ones.
I kind of liked Tempelhof the one time I went by air. Mostly for the history, though

I found the airports in China to be amazing. Great design, nice architecture, clean and modern. Sometimes flights can be 4 hours late for no reason though.

Flying out of Maracaibo 4 years ago (last time I went to Venezuela) was so depressing. No food or even water available, Long waits in various rooms for no reason, passenger stress super high due to a not insignificant fear that you may never leave or you'll shortly be extorted, or airport staff will steal everything you checked (not just valuables).

Flying through Chinese air space is hell on earth because their philosophy is the complete opposite of ours.

Their military aircraft always have control of the sky and the right of way over commercial traffic.

And with the number of military flights they have coupled with commercial flights, it's a nightmare of assigned slot times.

One flight missing a slot time sets off a huge Rube Goldbergesque sequence of delays.

I never went but one of my colleagues did (about 20 years ago). Back then there was a helicopter service run by two Russian pilots with a former military holicopter that would zip you across for 50 dollars. He claimed it was fast but equally frightening to the water taxis (and brought back photos). Obviously he survived...
I'm not sure I'll mention this option to her, but I'll remember for myself if I ever go.

DIA is working its way up my list.  Security was bad, but one of the trains is down resulting in a mass of folks on one train.  Took 30 minutes to get to B terminal.  5:15 am in hell
Early mornings on Monday are tough - so many consultants are traveling out on Monday morning. 

Shark move is to evaluate line across the bridge and walk to terminal A - take elevator down - then get on train.

Trains are going to be tough over next couple of months - I think they are upgrading the system.

Looks like power problems at the airport this AM

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/22/dia-power-surge-delays/

Vanilla Guerrilla said:
Atlanta has that light rail that goes from one of the ends to the other?  I think I remember it.
It does but if your at the end of one of the terminals, you still have to walk a good bit. It’s a 5 minute walk once you get off the tram, go up the escalator and start walking if your spot is on the end. 

Vanilla Guerrilla said:
Atlanta has that light rail that goes from one of the ends to the other?  I think I remember it.
It's also tricky at the end of the line- there are T gates (Terminal) - which is the stop BEFORE baggage claim and ground transportation (the real Terminal)  but what happens is the announcement starts talking about the NEXT stop being baggage claim and ground transportation and people get confused because they weren't paying attention or they finally hear "baggage claim" and think its time to get off at T gates. I've seen some crazy situations where husband gets off - wife stays on and doors close. It's a simple walk down to the end from the T gates but it takes a bit to get past the confusion. You can technically go upstairs and walk out the T gates into the main Terminal as well. Bottom line - you aren't at the end until everyone is getting off going up a 2 story escalator.

That's interesting as all the KC locals I know hate it with a passion.  All I know is I hate it.  I have to fly there in a couple of weeks and am not looking forward to it.

DIA is working its way up my list.  Security was bad, but one of the trains is down resulting in a mass of folks on one train.  Took 30 minutes to get to B terminal.  5:15 am in hell
DIA blows. Went to school out there when it opened and am there to ski a couple times a year. Sucked then and sucks now. Security, rental cars, train, baggage. On the upside it's a kajillion miles from anywhere you're going.

Minot, ND circa 1996 was about as bad is it ever got for me but I don't fly nearly as much as some of you guys. Detroit was always my connection when I lived in OH and it was an armpit.

wish they would allow smoking in the airport bathrooms.   Any smell, & I mean any smell is better than the crap smell in the bathrooms in Denver.  Also lines to the bathrooms are long  & security lines are looooooooooooooog, pre check or not.   not a fan of Denver airport at all.  After security better plan on 20 minutes to 30 to get to your gate & that's if you know the airport.   Just to get to the Denver airport from Denver can be 1 1/2 hours depending on traffic.   Phoenix airport is wonderful!!
I've had terrible experiences in Phoenix, and good in Denver.  Definitely didn't notice anything horrific about the bathrooms.

My wife keeps asking to go back to NYC. If a 10 hour flight wasn't enough deterrent, all the airports are the suck.

LAX is also pretty bad. Vancouver is the best - every airport should have a connected hotel.

I've had terrible experiences in Phoenix, and good in Denver.  Definitely didn't notice anything horrific about the bathrooms.

My wife keeps asking to go back to NYC. If a 10 hour flight wasn't enough deterrent, all the airports are the suck.

LAX is also pretty bad. Vancouver is the best - every airport should have a connected hotel.
Thanks to the Olympics for a lot of upgrades. Love this airport. 

Daughter and fiance just returned with very bad reports about Dallas-Ft Worth.  They'd flown in from Australia and were transferring for a flight back to Chicago.  The process of picking up their bags, going through horribly organized lines to recheck the bags, going through security again, and catching a poorly marked bus to get to their new terminal used up virtually all of their 100 minute buffer.

Worst airport I've seen was Heathrow in London this past February.  Once off the plane, I walked like two miles in tunnels back to where I could get to my connecting flight.  No windows, no views and the whole place seemed like it was under construction.  I felt like a rat in a maze.

Then we get taken by bus out to where I boarded the connecting flight by walking out on the tarmac and up a portable staircase.  First time I've done that since I was in Jamaica in 1997.

This is supposed to be a major international hub in one of the richest cities in the world. 

Worst airport I've seen was Heathrow in London this past February.  Once off the plane, I walked like two miles in tunnels back to where I could get to my connecting flight.  No windows, no views and the whole place seemed like it was under construction.  I felt like a rat in a maze.

Then we get taken by bus out to where I boarded the connecting flight by walking out on the tarmac and up a portable staircase.  First time I've done that since I was in Jamaica in 1997.

This is supposed to be a major international hub in one of the richest cities in the world. 
Spending well over an hour in line for customs was pretty bad too

Best (North America): Denver, Minny, Pearson (Toronto), San Fran, Houston.  Vancouver. 
Orlando has to be on that list right?

ETA: Even just for the simple fact that there is plenty of stuff to do while waiting for a flight.

Users who are viewing this thread