What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst airport you've ever spent time in (1 Viewer)

I travel quite a bit and take my large bottle of contact solution.   It’s a pain in the butt but the 3 oz bottle isn’t enough plus I’d be spending a crapload of money on them. 

I never have a problem anywhere.  I take it out and put it on the belt separately so TSA can check it. 

Except Austin. They play this game until you say the exact phrase “I declare these medically necessary”. Until I figured this out I had a couple of heated incidents. This one jackass kept acting like he’d never read the TSA website on medical exemptions. So stupid. 

I travel quite a bit and take my large bottle of contact solution.   It’s a pain in the butt but the 3 oz bottle isn’t enough plus I’d be spending a crapload of money on them. 

I never have a problem anywhere.  I take it out and put it on the belt separately so TSA can check it. 

Except Austin. They play this game until you say the exact phrase “I declare these medically necessary”. Until I figured this out I had a couple of heated incidents. This one jackass kept acting like he’d never read the TSA website on medical exemptions. So stupid. 
I didn't realize I can do this.  I always would buy and refill the travel size.  Thanks for the tip!

(I recently switched to daily contacts.  Don't have to worry about this now, but I do take some solution.)

I didn't realize I can do this.  I always would buy and refill the travel size.  Thanks for the tip!

(I recently switched to daily contacts.  Don't have to worry about this now, but I do take some solution.)
Only issue is that you will have to wait for them to open them up and run a test.  But only takes a few minutes extra.  Also, you are free to ask them to put on a new pair of gloves beforehand.

O'hare is awful (haven't flown out of there in over 15 years though), but Laguardia is by far the worst i've ever been in.  Just a complete ####-hole that felt like a 3rd world country.

just an fyi, FCO in Rome has been remodeled.  bright, better designed, more customers agents, easier to access rentals.  it used to be a smoke filled cave, not anymore.

Having flown a bit as a kid in the 70s and 80s, airports are soooo much better now. Even the ####ty ones beat out a 1982 airport.

Haven’t flown out of Newark for years.  I take back anything bad I’ve ever said nown that I can order drinks right up to the point I walk on the plane.
Sure you can order drinks right up until you walk on the plane. But the person who drinks them will be the lucky ******* sitting at that seat while you're already on the plane, because it takes 15 mins to show up.

All of those iPad ordering systems suck. Over-complicates everything and draws out even the simplest tasks (getting your coffee, refilling your beer, etc).

RUSF18 said:
Sure you can order drinks right up until you walk on the plane. But the person who drinks them will be the lucky ******* sitting at that seat while you're already on the plane, because it takes 15 mins to show up.

All of those iPad ordering systems suck. Over-complicates everything and draws out even the simplest tasks (getting your coffee, refilling your beer, etc).
I ordered from three different spots last night.  This one was the farthest from any bar so sure it took a little while, but the fact is terminal C is filled with these tables where you can plug in and order what you want when you want, and don’t have to worry about finding a seat in some crowded bar.  Pretty, pretty, pretty cool. 

Thanks, Nerds.  The glowing reviews of the Munich airport in this thread prompted me to book a trip to Dublin/Munich/Prague/Bratislava at the end of summer.

At Dulles right now.  Seems like it’s full of homeless people.  It’s not good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flew out of Newark a couple of months ago.  Was impressed with the difference from the last time I flew through there (granted that was 20 years ago).  Their food court/market area was pretty awesome.  I did order a drink through the ipad, that was cool too.

Copenhagen airport blows. It’s dirty and hot and just overall crappy. I was really surprised.

But Copenhagen itself is amazing.

I will add the old Bangalore, India airport to the retired bad list (they opened a new one a few years after I went there).  What a craphole when your flight arrived at 2AM and you were trying to find your car service.

To the current good list I will add Philadelphia when you are there for a 800AM flight to an all-inclusive resort spot and your start the trip with 25 oz Yards Philly Pale Ale from Chickie and Pete's to wash down the cheese steak and egg burrito.

Look who it is!

Just flew through Newark and was surprised how nice it was.

LGA is an embarrassment.

JFK depends on which terminal you're using.
Agree 100% with this. They did some good renovations to JFK.

LGA is the worst!! Sadly, it’s the most convenient to my house, but I’ll still avoid it unless there is a heavy difference in price.

2 years ago in the winter of 2016, I had a flight to catch at 1030am, left my house at 835am, worst case doomsday scenario it would’ve been an hour and fifteen minute ride and I had no bags to check. Made it to the Grand Central in like 45 minutes which was bad, but whatever, figured I’d have an hour to kill in that ####hole. When we approached the exit, it was a standstill, not moving an inch. No worries though, as I only had to go about a half mile further, how long could it really take? Oh, forgot to mention, there was snow and ice on the sides of the road too. Anyways, after sitting there for about 20 minutes and literally not moving more than 7 feet, I had to make a critical decision, it was obvious but sucked. I hopped out, started running up the ramp towards the airport. Luckily, all I had was a small bag. I still see it now, it was an exodus of people from cars running and lugging bags through snow & ice. I made my flight, but man do I hate LGA!

Panama City. 

They screen you again at the gate which means if you leave the gate you have to be screened and you can’t bring liquids you bought post-security to the gate or onto the plane. And the security agents there are rude as hell. They were literally grabbing water bottles out of peoples hands and yelling at everyone to take their shoes and belts off. Do not want to fly through there again. 

Just awful. 

My security story.  I traveled a few weeks after Sept. 11.  During my trip, which was only a couple days, they instituted the clear quart bag rule.  Being on the road I obviously had no chance to get a bag.  So I arrived at the airport and proactively took out the few toiletries I had that had to come out.  Nope - even though it was out and ready for inspection they were perfunctorily thrown in the garbage since they weren't in the aforementioned quart bag.  Sheesh.

Panama City. 

They screen you again at the gate which means if you leave the gate you have to be screened and you can’t bring liquids you bought post-security to the gate or onto the plane. And the security agents there are rude as hell. They were literally grabbing water bottles out of peoples hands and yelling at everyone to take their shoes and belts off. Do not want to fly through there again. 
It has been many years but I distinctly remember this airport - we connected through there to Quito.  My father was lined up against a wall by a guy with an AK and roughly frisked, along with all the other male adult passengers getting on their next plane.  Not a great memory.

Pro tips from someone who works at SFO:

If possible book your flights with Virgin/Alaska when flying through SFO so you can fly in and out of Terminal 2. It’s an amazing terminal in all respects and is the model we’re using for some upcoming renovations. Speaking of renovations, avoid flying internationally out of SFO next summer. We’re expanding the security checkpoints but doing this requires some closing of existing TSA lanes at times so lines will be looooong for a few months. 

Agree 100% with this. They did some good renovations to JFK.

LGA is the worst!! Sadly, it’s the most convenient to my house, but I’ll still avoid it unless there is a heavy difference in price.

2 years ago in the winter of 2016, I had a flight to catch at 1030am, left my house at 835am, worst case doomsday scenario it would’ve been an hour and fifteen minute ride and I had no bags to check. Made it to the Grand Central in like 45 minutes which was bad, but whatever, figured I’d have an hour to kill in that ####hole. When we approached the exit, it was a standstill, not moving an inch. No worries though, as I only had to go about a half mile further, how long could it really take? Oh, forgot to mention, there was snow and ice on the sides of the road too. Anyways, after sitting there for about 20 minutes and literally not moving more than 7 feet, I had to make a critical decision, it was obvious but sucked. I hopped out, started running up the ramp towards the airport. Luckily, all I had was a small bag. I still see it now, it was an exodus of people from cars running and lugging bags through snow & ice. I made my flight, but man do I hate LGA!
This is good info as I’ll be flying in/out of LGA in 3 weeks. 

So traffic in/out is a nightmare... is there a train that dumps right there? Security bad too? Tips? What time should be leave midtown (taking either uber or train) for a 7pm flight on a Sunday?

I know this is not in line with the thread...but god bless living within 5 minutes to the best NY airport...Islip/MacArthur. Breeze in and out of that place. 

I recently enrolled in Global Entry and used Pre-Check for the first time back and forth from DC.  Wow.  What a difference it makes.  I used to wait in regular security like some kind of sucker.

That Airbrau place has an outdoor covered biergarten, they brew their own suds on site, and they have live entertainment including bands and comedians.  Good luck finding that in a US airport.
Mesa-Gateway has Barrio that matches your description. 

I have to give a shout out to the Rome airport.  Cleanest, nicest public bathrooms I have ever seen.  :toilet:

I'll echo LaGuardia due to the construction, but to me Dulles is the worst. The sheer size of it requires a long walk AND a shuttle to get anywhere, plus to get the rental car requires a long walk to the shuttle bus and then the bus ride to the offsite rental car facilities.

[icon] said:
This is good info as I’ll be flying in/out of LGA in 3 weeks. 

So traffic in/out is a nightmare... is there a train that dumps right there? Security bad too? Tips? What time should be leave midtown (taking either uber or train) for a 7pm flight on a Sunday?
No train direct. There are some that go nearby - like Citi Field that you could call Uber from. At least you might avoid tunnel/bridge traffic. I usually take a ride service from midtown typically arranged by client. 

Id leave around 4 to 5 depending on tsa mileage status. Watch out for surge and timing because you might be in window of a football game ending if taking Uber 

Dublin Airport annoyed me.  They have US Customs preclearance that is nice so you land in the US as a domestic flight but what they don't tell you is that you also have to go through TSA security as well as customs.  So when flying to the US from Dublin you have to do Irish Security + TSA Security.  Neither accepts TSA Pre. Had to stand in line like a plebe. Twice.

Kansas City has moved to my hate list man. I’ve never in my life been somewhere where there’s more people wanting to use the restroom than stalls available. There was like a 15 minute wait last time which boggles my mind.  It’s got the same restroom of a gas station (after you pass through security) with tons of people around. 

For me it’s O’hare and it’s not even close. 

I used to travel a ton for work and while I’ve been to many airports, I rarely ever had a reason to be in Chicago other than to change planes. 

Without fail, I’ve almost never (20+ trips at least) made it to my destination when connecting through. I’m always stuck overnight with some 5 am or 6 am connection the following morning. 

Flew into LAX on Saturday. Not the worst ever but not good. Took me an hour to get out of the airport and get a car. 

I recently enrolled in Global Entry and used Pre-Check for the first time back and forth from DC.  Wow.  What a difference it makes.  I used to wait in regular security like some kind of sucker.
We have had it for a couple years now and it's really nice,

When you go into customs, you skip the long line.

Just had the soul crushing experience that is JFK terminal 7. Eeesh. Not a happy place. Hope to never return. Newark sucks too. Step yo #### up NY. Places are dumps.

It's been a while since I've been to China...  since around 2012, anyhow.  I don't recall how their bathrooms were either in Beijing or Hong Kong.  
In Hong Kong they have been decent to nice since the nineties. I remember some nasty ones in Shanghai, circa mid nineties, old airport (now domestic)

Flew into LAX on Saturday. Not the worst ever but not good. Took me an hour to get out of the airport and get a car. 
LAX is hit or miss.  Terminal 2 and Tom Bradley are pretty good.  Terminal 3 sucks balls.

Though, I have to say the bus connection stop in TB is in Siberia - it's like a mile walk back to the lounges.

Users who are viewing this thread