What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (3 Viewers)

Right, I am not saying he should have cut from the team or even booed (although that woud have made more sense). But a standing ovation? What is he Lou fn Gherig now? 
Only thing I can think of was them cheering him for the way he handled it. I don’t think he should be cheered for it . Weird scene

I saw it on MLB Network...his whole team was standing and clapping too. Maybe because he owned what he did at 17 and wanted to learn from it?
I mean it is a good sign that his team supported him and he seemed very sincere in his apology. But also what else was he going to say? When asked about it was he going to be like, "Yeah I meant what I said. I hate gay people White Power."  Lets say the audience was applauding because they heard him out- they listened to his explanation. It's hard to square how quickly they were receptive and welcoming to this as oposed to the NFL kneelers who people still argue our protesting the anthem/troops/flag. 

I wish The President kept out of this issue and this thread
Trump knows where his bread is buttered. This issue is a perfect regrouping for him and his base. Looking like pansy cuckhold in Helsinki? Talk about suspending black guys who kneel to get everyone back on the same page. 

Once again, without knowledge of why the kneeling started and what they are protesting, you are floundering and lost. Funny and sad at the same time. 
Or you are race baiting again because he never said anything about suspending black guys only.   Chris Long is one of the most vocal players in support of the protest.  He's not black and I've never heard Trump single him out as one that should not be suspended while the others have.  You have evidence to support your statement?  Or just more insults to fling at me?

Thank goodness we have a President tackling the hard hitting issues of our day, making sure we're making America great again by ensuring some of our athletes don't kneel during the anthem.

Takes time out of his valuable day where he otherwise would be tweeting insults and challenges at foreign leaders in ALL CAPS to remind us what really matters, which is focusing our anger on athletes who kneel when we don't want them to.

Or you are race baiting again because he never said anything about suspending black guys only.   Chris Long is one of the most vocal players in support of the protest.  He's not black and I've never heard Trump single him out as one that should not be suspended while the others have.  You have evidence to support your statement?  Or just more insults to fling at me?
I'm not insulting you. I'm also not going to waste my time debating you if you're going to be disingenuous and pretend you don't think the protests are about black rights and the way police treat black people. The fact that some white players support the movement doesn't change that fact. Trump knows his base and what they will rally around. That's why he feels the need to stick his nose into something that's none of his business. And he times it to give himself a boost when he's having a terrible time with everything else. 

• Smile
Reactions: rct
I'm not insulting you. I'm also not going to waste my time debating you if you're going to be disingenuous and pretend you don't think the protests are about black rights and the way police treat black people. The fact that some white players support the movement doesn't change that fact. Trump knows his base and what they will rally around. That's why he feels the need to stick his nose into something that's none of his business. And he times it to give himself a boost when he's having a terrible time with everything else. 
:thumbup:

Ilov80s said:
I mean it is a good sign that his team supported him and he seemed very sincere in his apology. But also what else was he going to say? When asked about it was he going to be like, "Yeah I meant what I said. I hate gay people White Power."  Lets say the audience was applauding because they heard him out- they listened to his explanation. It's hard to square how quickly they were receptive and welcoming to this as oposed to the NFL kneelers who people still argue our protesting the anthem/troops/flag. 
I think the audience was just trying to let him know they want him to not worry about it and just get back to striking people out. Also they were happy that mlb didnt suspend him so he can strike people out. 

If Colin kaepernick would have been a good qb on a good team the reaction of the home crowd would have been quite different.

Remember when training camp used to be excitement about the new season, predictiing what the new draft picks will do.

Now it is holdouts and who who stand for the anthem. I really think this time the golden goose is starting to die a slow death.

Remember when training camp used to be excitement about the new season, predictiing what the new draft picks will do.

Now it is holdouts and who who stand for the anthem. I really think this time the golden goose is starting to die a slow death.
Death? 

If you asked me to predict what, if any. aspects of current American culture will still be present 100 years from now, NFL football would be at the top of my list. 

I think the audience was just trying to let him know they want him to not worry about it and just get back to striking people out. Also they were happy that mlb didnt suspend him so he can strike people out. 

If Colin kaepernick would have been a good qb on a good team the reaction of the home crowd would have been quite different.
Maybe, but that would make them the first sports fans I can think of to convey that message via standing ovation. I don't remember players getting standing ovations when they returned to the field after other PR issues like stories about them cheating on their wives or getting busted for possession or getting arrested for reckless driving or making homophobic statements etc etc etc.  When fans welcome a player already on their team with a standing ovation it's usually either to recognize something awesome they did last time out or to salute them for overcoming something not of their own creation, like an injury.

Maybe, but that would make them the first sports fans I can think of to convey that message via standing ovation. I don't remember players getting standing ovations when they returned to the field after other PR issues like stories about them cheating on their wives or getting busted for possession or getting arrested for reckless driving or making homophobic statements etc etc etc.  When fans welcome a player already on their team with a standing ovation it's usually either to recognize something awesome they did last time out or to salute them for overcoming something not of their own creation, like an injury.
A-rod, Braun, Jose Reyes, Addison Russell, Odor, etc. 

This is not uncommon. 

If those arent enough of a comparison how about this one...

Rocker receives standing ovation in return to Braves

A-rod, Braun, Jose Reyes, Addison Russell, Odor, etc. 

This is not uncommon. 

If those arent enough of a comparison how about this one...

Rocker receives standing ovation in return to Braves
Fair enough, there have been a few. Although I'd say that other than maybe Braun (same fans!) and Rocker, those had much different circumstances. A-Rod's suspension was ridiculously over the top by pretty much all accounts, I assume the fans were applauding his entirely warranted fight against the FO and his decision to return instead of retire.  Reyes was returning to his old/original team after five years away ... and in any event Mets fans got killed for it, so I'm not sure that example really helps the Milwaukee fans' cause.  I don't remember Russell getting a standing O in response to the abuse allegations and neither does Google. Unless you're talking about something I don't know about, Odor simply got in a standard issue fight on the field and landed a particularly great punch, not really the same think IMO.

The Rocker one is probably the closest analogy. If Brewers fans wish to be associated with Braves fans of 20 years ago when it comes to issues of how they view racial and homosexual slurs, I suppose that's their prerogative.

Let's not forget that the number of players kneeling in the entire league had dwindled down to six before Trump realized that the issue was red meat for his base so he decided to ignite it with a torch so he could continue his Make America White Again campaign. This entire issue was a week or two away from going bye bye completely. So blame the Great Divider for getting what he wanted. . 

Let's not forget that the number of players kneeling in the entire league had dwindled down to six before Trump realized that the issue was red meat for his base so he decided to ignite it with a torch so he could continue his Make America White Again campaign. This entire issue was a week or two away from going bye bye completely. So blame the Great Divider for getting what he wanted. . 
What would happen if Trump said "I demand all NFL players kneel for the anthem?"

Da Guru said:

What would happen if Trump said "I demand all NFL players kneel for the anthem?"
"Christian values are under attack yet again! The NFL spits in the face of America! We've got evidence that 'not kneeling' is actually a secret Muslim gang sign, and we've got a list of left-leaning business that you should boycott because they don't make their employees kneel. All that and more on tonight's 'Hannity'..."

Fair enough, there have been a few. Although I'd say that other than maybe Braun (same fans!) and Rocker, those had much different circumstances. A-Rod's suspension was ridiculously over the top by pretty much all accounts, I assume the fans were applauding his entirely warranted fight against the FO and his decision to return instead of retire.  Reyes was returning to his old/original team after five years away ... and in any event Mets fans got killed for it, so I'm not sure that example really helps the Milwaukee fans' cause.  I don't remember Russell getting a standing O in response to the abuse allegations and neither does Google. Unless you're talking about something I don't know about, Odor simply got in a standard issue fight on the field and landed a particularly great punch, not really the same think IMO.

The Rocker one is probably the closest analogy. If Brewers fans wish to be associated with Braves fans of 20 years ago when it comes to issues of how they view racial and homosexual slurs, I suppose that's their prerogative.
It isnt even the first time this year. See astros. 

You have a narrative in mind and wont be swayed. Enjoy.

:unsure:   I am almost positive you have some kind of point you're trying to make by posting this and my response will be the set up, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to say to give you your golden moment to drop the big tag line. So just quote me and edit it to be the set up line you were hoping for. 

It isnt even the first time this year. See astros. 

You have a narrative in mind and wont be swayed. Enjoy.
I assume you're talking about last year with Yuri Gurriel?  That was just portions of the crowd, and they got absolutely killed for it too. It was a huge story.

I concede that it happens sometimes, I was definitely wrong to say it doesn't. But you would also have to concede that when it does, the fans take a lot of heat for it (rightfully so IMO). So at this point these people know exactly what they're doing when they applaud someone who has just been exposed for doing something wrong.  Even if you are correct that they're saying nothing more than "don't worry about it, get back to striking people out" that's a pretty terrible message.  What kind of person tells someone" not to worry" about having said bigoted, hurtful things?  Of course people should worry about that.

:unsure:   I am almost positive you have some kind of point you're trying to make by posting this and my response will be the set up, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to say to give you your golden moment to drop the big tag line. So just quote me and edit it to be the set up line you were hoping for. 
No big tag line...just that players will do the exact opposite that Trump says...but you already knew that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you're talking about last year with Yuri Gurriel?  That was just portions of the crowd, and they got absolutely killed for it too. It was a huge story.

I concede that it happens sometimes, I was definitely wrong to say it doesn't. But you would also have to concede that when it does, the fans take a lot of heat for it (rightfully so IMO). So at this point these people know exactly what they're doing when they applaud someone who has just been exposed for doing something wrong.  Even if you are correct that they're saying nothing more than "don't worry about it, get back to striking people out" that's a pretty terrible message.  What kind of person tells someone" not to worry" about having said bigoted, hurtful things?  Of course people should worry about that.
So are you trying to say that there were 40,000 homophobic racists at that game?

Although unlikely if Kappy came back what kind of reception do you think he would get at his first game?  Lets say he stood for the anthem?  I think he would get applauded by the home fans and booed by the away fans.

So are you trying to say that there were 40,000 homophobic racists at that game?
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.  Great post :rolleyes:

At some point it would be cool if you could grasp the idea that you can knock people for condoning or forgiving bigotry without calling them bigots. You seem to do this a lot in this forum. Honestly I'm not sure why you are struggling with this idea, because you seem like a fairly sharp guy.

Maybe look at it this way: I also think it was really dumb when Mets fans gave Jose Reyes a standing ovation in his return for a suspension for assaulting his wife. I think they sent the wrong message regarding domestic violence. But that doesn't mean I think there were 40,000 spouse-beaters in the crowd, right?  Same deal with bigotry.

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.  Great post :rolleyes:

At some point it would be cool if you could grasp the idea that you can knock people for condoning or forgiving bigotry without calling them bigots. you seem to do this a lot in this forum. Honestly I'm not sure why you are struggling with this idea, because you seem like a fairly sharp guy.

Maybe look at it this way: I also think it was really dumb when Mets fans gave Jose Reyes a standing ovation in his return for a suspension for assaulting his wife. I think they sent the wrong message regarding domestic violence. But that doesn't mean I think there were 40,000 spouse-beaters in the crowd, right?  Same deal with bigotry.
I just asked a question. Your point wasn't clear at all, at least to me

So should he have been booed in your opinion...or...no reaction at all, pretend it didn't happen? 

I just asked a question. Your point wasn't clear at all, at least to me

So should he have been booed in your opinion...or...no reaction at all, pretend it didn't happen? 
You've made that same mistake (conflating accusations of condoning/forgiving bigotry with accusations of bigotry itself) in the Trump context like a dozen times. I just don't get it, unless you're trolling. It's a fairly obvious distinction.

If Hader played for my team I suspect I would have just been quiet.  But basically anything other than going out of your way to show just how much you condone/forgive bigotry would probably be a good option IMO.

Quote from Russell Okung, offensive tackle for the Los Angeles Chargers and a member of the NFLPA:

I had never thought that I would see the day that the mighty Jerry Jones would succumb to Trump’s pressure. His maneuvering around the anthem issue reveals how afraid the @NFL is by the movement Colin Kaepernick started. His first response to Trump was just as disingenuous.

Stephen Jones - 

"We certainly are supportive of them when they have their personal issues or their personal things that they want to pursue. And we’ll help them pursue them on Tuesdays,” Jones said. ”But when you’re wearing the Dallas Cowboy uniform and a Dallas Cowboy helmet and you’re working for the Dallas Cowboys, you check the I and the me at the door and you’re a part of a team. There’s bright lines in terms of our organization.”

What's wrong with that? :shrug:

So a guy who assaults women is on board with ####ting all over the first amendment?  Congrats??? thoughts and prayers?  Not sure what to do when you are holding up Zeke as some kind of person I should give two ####s about. :unsure:  

Dak Prescott:

"I will never protest during the national anthem, and I don't think that's the time or the venue to do so. The game of football has always brought me such peace, and I think it does the same for a lot of people -- a lot of people playing the game, a lot of people watching the game, a lot of people who have any impact of the game -- so when you bring such controversy to the stadium, to the field, to the game it takes that away. It takes away the joy of playing and the love that football brings to a lot of people on Sundays.

Dak Prescott:

"I will never protest during the national anthem, and I don't think that's the time or the venue to do so. The game of football has always brought me such peace, and I think it does the same for a lot of people -- a lot of people playing the game, a lot of people watching the game, a lot of people who have any impact of the game -- so when you bring such controversy to the stadium, to the field, to the game it takes that away. It takes away the joy of playing and the love that football brings to a lot of people on Sundays.
In his full statement, Prescott also said:

"I’m up for taking that next step, whatever that step may be. I’m all for action,”

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-national-anthem-protests-nfl-news-jerry-jones-donald-trump/1h3hbsazun0921uslzrzczmccr

Sounds nice, that he is for action rather than protesting, but has Dak taken any action at all?

Dak Prescott:

From Omar Suleiman, an American Muslim scholar, civil rights activist and speaker:

"The black athletes who were used to discredit Muhammad Ali were held up temporarily as heroes only to be forgotten in history. Dak being used as a prop against Kaepernick standing next to his owner is embarrassing, yet predictable"

From Omar Suleiman, an American Muslim scholar, civil rights activist and speaker:

"The black athletes who were used to discredit Muhammad Ali were held up temporarily as heroes only to be forgotten in history. Dak being used as a prop against Kaepernick standing next to his owner is embarrassing, yet predictable"
Does Omar play football for a living?   Plus Dak is half white as is Kappy.

Dak is his own man with his own set of values and should be respected as such. Dak is just saying there is a better way and he is right.  Nobody now even talks about the message anymore. It was lost a long time ago.

Does Omar play football for a living? 

Dak is his own man with his own set of values and should be respected as such. Dak is just saying there is a better way and he is right.  Nobody now even talks about the message anymore. It was lost a long time ago.
Um, no, but neither does Donald Trump if you want to be technical. I think a prominent African American scholar has the right to express his opinion and it shouldn't be cavalierly dismissed because he doesn't suit up on Sundays.

Dak is just saying there is a better way and he is right
As Trevor Noah asked on The Daily Show when Kaep protest first started "When is it the right time for black people to protest in Trump's America?

http://theweek.com/speedreads/727021/trevor-noah-explores-when-exactly-okay-black-people-protest-trumps-america

"You still haven't told us the right way for black people to protest. I mean, we know it's wrong to do it in the streets, it's wrong to do it in the tweets, you cannot do it on the field, you cannot do it if you've kneeled. And don't do it if you're rich, you ungrateful son of a #####, because there's one thing that's a fact: You cannot protest if you're black." 

Users who are viewing this thread