What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (1 Viewer)

This country is going to be destroyed by race. ai frequent another site that is mostly blacks and asians and the view is totally different on this topic.

This country is going to be destroyed by race. ai frequent another site that is mostly blacks and asians and the view is totally different on this topic.
This thread gives a misleading impression of the board. Much like Trump himself, this is a topic conservatives flock to because (in addition to the obvious reasons) it riles people up and allows them to ignore the more substantive issues on which their side has become basically indefensible. 

If you're a conservative and you want to talk politics around here or elsewhere, you have your choice between arguing that athletes should stand for the national anthem, defending this or trying to argue that this guy is innocent. Which would you choose?

This thread gives a misleading impression of the board. Much like Trump himself, this is a topic conservatives flock to because (in addition to the obvious reasons) it riles people up and allows them to ignore the more substantive issues on which their side has become basically indefensible. 

If you're a conservative and you want to talk politics around here or elsewhere, you have your choice between arguing that athletes should stand for the national anthem, defending this or trying to argue that this guy is innocent. Which would you choose?
LOL the deflection is real

This thread really has nothing to do with standing or kneeling for the NA anymore. It is about big business owners and how they are concerned about protecting their brand.

I never watch the NA nor do I care who stands or kneels. If Antonio Brown kneels but gives my team 10-150-2TDs that is fine with me.

The fact is there were only around 6 players kneeling after the first 5-6 games and if the media were not so obsessed with it nobody would even know who it was. Another issue that is being talked about is that the original message was lost a long time ago.  Now it is a protest against Trump.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread really has nothing to do with standing or kneeling for the NA anymore. It is about big business owners and how they are concerned about protecting their brand.

I never watch the NA nor do I care who stands or kneels. If Antonio Brown kneels but gives me 10-150-2TDs that is fine with me.

The fact is there were only around 6 players kneeling after the first 5-6 games and if the media were not so obsessed with it nobody would even know who it was. Another issue that is being talked about is that the original message was lost a long time ago.  Now it is a protest against Trump.

The exact opposite of what you say could just as easily be true: the additional attention that Trump and other conservatives and some owners have brought to their protests gives them a way to get the original message across more effectively (acts as a signal boost) and therefore gives them more reason to do it. That's what Malcolm Jenkins is saying and doing here, and he is far more qualified to say what the players are and are not protesting than either of us.

Agree with that earlier in the season, but by the end they were back down to the seven protesting the original issue. I posted an article on them somewhere back in the thread, but can dig up again, if you're interested in hearing it from the seven instead of me. I will say that, depending on how the rule negotiations work out, it would not surprise me to see another temporary uptick like we did when the president got involved. Or if he gets involved which is widely expected as midterms approach. In fact, that fear by owners was mentioned by multiple NFL reporters  as owners' motivation for developing the anthem rule to try to head it off.

ETA- Here's the article  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752195-the-nfls-last-men-kneeling

I never watch the NA nor do I care who stands or kneels. If Antonio Brown kneels but gives my team 10-150-2TDs that is fine with me.

Fixed your post:

The fact is there were only around 6 players kneeling after the first 5-6 games and if the media were Trump was not so obsessed with it nobody would even know who it was

I agree it is has turned into a Trump protest now.
I didn't suggest that and I don't believe it is a Trump protest now. My point was Trump brought attention to something that had been largely forgotten. 

Contrary to what you believe, the only purpose of the kneeling is not to spite Trump. From interviews I have seen the players still are talking about the issues that Kaep originally raised regarding disproportionate treatment of blacks by LEOs and the continued racism and discrimination against minorities.

From interviews I have seen the players still are talking about the issues that Kaep originally raised regarding disproportionate treatment of blacks by LEOs and the continued racism and discrimination against minorities.
Detailed in the article I posted just above if you haven't already seen.

I think they should either stop playing it altogether or suspended any kneeling players for the year without pay (or ban them for life)

i don’t care which extreme they go with I’m just so sick of hearing about the issue every time there’s some new development 

Q: Who made this about Trump?  A: Trump made this about Trump.

My guess is when he does this every week from now until election day the conservative base backs him 100%. He doesn't care about respect for the military or patriotism it's just a political tactic to fire up his voters. 

My guess is when he does this every week from now until election day the conservative base backs him 100%. He doesn't care about respect for the military or patriotism it's just a political tactic to fire up his voters. 
Trump will absolutely do everything he can to keep this story in the news. His supporters eat this up.  It's very hard for them to defend caging little kids.  Or choosing Putin over his own intelligence agency. But calling black guys unpatriotic? That's red meat to that audience. Trump would absolutely hate if no one kneeled in week one. It would ruin his best current talking point. 

Will Dak Prescott's Protest Stance Affect How He's Viewed in Cowboys Locker Room?

https://www.si.com/nfl/video/2018/07/30/nfl-will-dak-prescott-protest-stance-affect-cowboys-locker-room?xid=si_video&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

How can it not? As mentioned in the video at the above link, if Dak had just only said “I’d never protest during the anthem" and left it at that, that probably wouldn't cause any issues with other players. But he had to take it further and parrot the anti-anthem meme of “I don’t think that’s the time or the venue to do so," and like all those who have used this argument, he was unable to list any acceptable time or a venue as an alternative.

Trump will absolutely do everything he can to keep this story in the news. His supporters eat this up.  It's very hard for them to defend caging little kids.  Or choosing Putin over his own intelligence agency. But calling black guys unpatriotic? That's red meat to that audience. Trump would absolutely hate if no one kneeled in week one. It would ruin his best current talking point. 
I think you meant to post in the False Equivalences thread.  

Maybe it is just my personal interpretation of their words, but I thought Zeke's comments were worse than Dak's. As discussed, I thought Dak was appropriately deferential to the protesters. Zeke's words, though, came across to me more as "We're the Cowboys. We're better than that." 

ETA Zeke's quote:
"Us as a team, we chose to stand together for the national anthem," he said. "It was our decision. I think it just shows our culture. It shows that we have unity. We're going to stand as one. That's not knocking anyone else who may choose to kneel during the national anthem. But we're the Dallas Football Cowboys, America's Team. We stand for the national anthem." 

Maybe it is just my personal interpretation of their words, but I thought Zeke's comments were worse than Dak's. As discussed, I thought Dak was appropriately deferential to the protesters. Zeke's words, though, came across to ne more as "We're the Cowboys. We're better than that." 

ETA Zeke's quote:
"Us as a team, we chose to stand together for the national anthem," he said. "It was our decision. I think it just shows our culture. It shows that we have unity. We're going to stand as one. That's not knocking anyone else who may choose to kneel during the national anthem. But we're the Dallas Football Cowboys, America's Team. We stand for the national anthem." 
Too late.  This is now an official Dak Attack.

Trump made it about Trump and the players swallowed it hook, line and sinker. It took away from the reason to kneel in the first place which nobody ever talks about now.

I said it a few days ago. Dak was trying to play both sides. He should have kept his mouth shut. 
Why?  If you ever heard talk speak he is well versed on social topics and how he relates different and can see both sides of issues because of being raised my a white mother and grandparents.

Dak is not saying don`t protest..he just feels that minute or two before the game is a special time for people to come together. Drew Brees said the same thing but nobody cares.

Drew Brees: "Protesting as it pertains to the national anthem, I will always feel that if you are an American, that the national anthem is the opportunity for us all to stand up together, to be unified and to show respect for our country. To show respect for what it stands for - the birth of our nation. There will always be issues with our country, there will always be things that we're battling and we should always strive to make those things better."

Brees continued to strongly emphasize the national anthem should be a moment for everyone to come together.

"If the protest becomes we're going to sit down or kneel or not show respect to the flag of the United States of America and everything it symbolizes and everything it stands for, everything our country has stood for to get to this point, I do not agree with that," Brees said. "I feel like the anthem should be a unifying thing"

Why?  If you ever heard talk speak he is well versed on social topics and how he relates different and can see both sides of issues because of being raised my a white mother and grandparents.

Dak is not saying don`t protest..he just feels that minute or two before the game is a special time for people to come together. Drew Brees said the same thing but nobody cares.
He tried to play both sides of the fence and now he's getting pushback from other players in the league.  Yes, Dak is well-spoken and from what I understand, a good leader. He should have been smart enough to know not to comment on this issue. He was trying to make himself look like he is in the (black) players' corner but also wanted to sound like a good soldier for Jerry Jones. It's a no win for him. He's trying to be everything to everyone and it's biting him in the ###. You can't support the slaves and the slave master. 

Trump made it about Trump and the players swallowed it hook, line and sinker. It took away from the reason to kneel in the first place which nobody ever talks about now.
They actually are still talking about it (see article Mystery Achiever linked) but people like you don't want to listen and keep repeating the meme that "This is just about Trump".

:mellow:

I don't think it is prerequisite to be raised by white people to be able to see both sides of an issue or that being raised by black parents precludes any such objectivity.

:mellow:

I don't think it is prerequisite to be raised by white people to be able to see both sides of an issue or that being raised by black parents precludes any such objectivity.
It does not..but Dak himself said it gives him a different perspective on issues an  more open minded....you should take a lesson.

I don`t care who kneels or stands.
Well, if you don't care to listen to what the players who have been involved in this protest are saying, then you can't accurately say that no one ever talks about the original and continued purpose of the protests now, can you?

It does not..but Dak himself said it gives him a different perspective on issues an  more open minded....you should take a lesson.
Kaep was raised by parents who are 100% white and he does not share Dak's perspective...you should take a lesson.

They actually are still talking about it (see article Mystery Achiever linked) but people like you don't want to listen and keep repeating the meme that "This is just about Trump".
The issue is rarely discussed unless Trump tweets something or the NFL stupidly changes a policy.  Then it goes away.   Other than a handful of players like Malcolm Jenkins, how many are really talking about police brutality?

Da Guru said:

Drew Brees: "Protesting as it pertains to the national anthem, I will always feel that if you are an American, that the national anthem is the opportunity for us all to stand up together, to be unified and to show respect for our country. To show respect for what it stands for - the birth of our nation. There will always be issues with our country, there will always be things that we're battling and we should always strive to make those things better."

Brees continued to strongly emphasize the national anthem should be a moment for everyone to come together.

"If the protest becomes we're going to sit down or kneel or not show respect to the flag of the United States of America and everything it symbolizes and everything it stands for, everything our country has stood for to get to this point, I do not agree with that," Brees said. "I feel like the anthem should be a unifying thing"
I understand what Brees is saying but he doesn't seem to understand how historically poorly the nation has lived up to these ideals for people of color. It's true things are a lot better now than they were prior to the Civil Rights movement in the 1950's and 60's. Being better than 50 or 60 years ago isn't the standard we should strive for or be completely satisfied with as apparently Brees is. 

Quite dismissive of Dak's perspective on this issue.  
I have said all along Dal has the right to his opinion and to state it publically just like Kaepernick. And I am certainly no more dismissive of his perspective than you and many of the others here have been of Kaep's (whose adoptive parents are white).

I have said all along Dal has the right to his opinion and to state it publically just like Kaepernick. And I am certainly no more dismissive of his perspective than you and many of the others here have been of Kaep's (whose adoptive parents are white).
LOL what in the world does CK's parents being white have to do with this conversation?  Literally everything is about race for you.

LOL what in the world does CK's parents being white have to do with this conversation?  Literally everything is about race for you.
If you have been reading the thread, it came into the conversation because Da Guru said this about Dak and his racial family background:

53 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

If you have been reading the thread, it came into the conversation because Da Guru said this about Dak and his racial family background:

53 minutes ago, Da Guru said:

The post your replied to was about your dismissive attitude towards Dak and your whataboutism involving Kaepernick and other posters here.   

I have said all along that Kappy has the right to do anything he wants. The owners also have the right to do what they want.

Dak and Brees can say what they want. We just have to respect and be tolerant with all views and try to be open minded.

I have said all along that Kappy has the right to do anything he wants. The owners also have the right to do what they want.

Dak and Brees can say what they want. We just have to respect and be tolerant with all views and try to be open minded.
Of course they can and who has suggested otherwise? However saying what they want does not insulate them from criticism for their words. If Dak is going to repeat the anti-anthem meme of “I don’t think that’s the time or the venue to do so" then he and his supporters should have expected the backlash that has occurred from other NFL players and also from those fighting racial discrimination in this country.

I have stated before it is the players right as an American to protest during the Anthem if that is what they feel they need to do.  In the real world most companies have rules or lists of acceptable behavior if an employee breaks them then they are terminated.  Does the NFL have the right to do the same?  I don't know if they do or not because it is not the real world.  I will say if the protests bother you then stop watching.  The protest did bother me.  I didn't like politics brought into something I used to escape the real world for a few hours every week.  Plus it did bother me that they were kneeling during the Anthem.  Again I do understand it is their right but it is also mine not to agree with what they were doing.  I solved it really easy I just stopped watching.  I didn't miss it at all.  I found that there were plenty of other things I could do on a Sunday afternoon.  Last year was the first time I had not watched a Super Bowl in almost 50 years.  I lived.

Users who are viewing this thread