What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Eclipse 2017 (3 Viewers)

back to work.    that was cool.    So we had 99.3% totality in Portland and just that little pct of the corona visible kept it brighter outside than I would expected.   At the point of totality you could see the waves of the corona on the pavement in our parking lot.  It was a trip

What's the final ruling on taking pic of the eclipse with your phone (while not looking at it)?

I'm getting mixed thoughts on whether or not it will damage your phone.
Everything I saw said to use the eclipse glasses as a filter, the same as you use them for your eyes.

WOW.  Just watched the feed from Madras (not renamed Chennai by Phil Knight or Kate Brown, I guess) on TV and it was amazing.  Just beautiful.  But the real shock for me came with what it looked like here north of Los Angeles, 65 or 70% or something.  I held my phone up and got a picture, then looked at the result.  Not what I expected; the diminished light made it look like our star was dying.  Very moving and awesome.  As a bonus, my shot captured the sun right over our flagpole with the Stars and Stripes clearly visible, so I can move the appropriate observations to the Political Metaphor Subforum. :thumbup:

The Weather Channel has great coverage. They have a gal at Madras, OR and during totality had silence except a bit of quiet, kinda space type music in the background. Once totality ended, they came back to the Weather Channel gal who was there and she was literally breathless and in tears at the awesomeness of it.

back to work.    that was cool.    So we had 99.3% totality in Portland and just that little pct of the corona visible kept it brighter outside than I would expected.   At the point of totality you could see the waves of the corona on the pavement in our parking lot.  It was a trip
I was at 99.5.  Agree not as dark as I thought it would be.  The waves of the corona were very cool. 

I was at 99.5.  Agree not as dark as I thought it would be.  The waves of the corona were very cool. 
i had to ask the guy standing next to me if he saw it too, thought my eyes might be playing tricks on me.   he confirmed.   

saw some show last night that said the sun is 1 million times larger than earth.   that's insane

oh, forgot to add to the deadheads out there,.  i opened up the tailgate on my Yukon and put it on Sirius XM 23  grateful dead channel, of course it was "Dark Star" playing so i had to turned up while we watched.

I'm on the line here in Gallatin, TN. Super pumped.

2mins 40sec of totality

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, forgot to add to the deadheads out there,.  i opened up the tailgate on my Yukon and put it on Sirius XM 23  grateful dead channel, of course it was "Dark Star" playing so i had to turned up while we watched.
wife played Total Eclipse of the Sun   We took turns throat punching her. 

The Weather Channel has great coverage. They have a gal at Madras, OR and during totality had silence except a bit of quiet, kinda space type music in the background. Once totality ended, they came back to the Weather Channel gal who was there and she was literally breathless and in tears at the awesomeness of it.
Yeah, it was interesting to see her crying. It was also awesome when she cursed just before getting on camera earlier on. If I remember correctly , "I don't know what the hell we're doing.... And hello, welcome!"

:lmao:

Made my son the cereal box viewer to see it. He was all pumped about it. I text my wife just now "You using the cereal box viewer to view the eclipse?" Her response "No, we're at the mall"

:unsure:

sunglasses on.   Using my phone screen with the phone off is making it easier to see without the threat of total blindness.

I know the right way but am lazy

Yeah, it was interesting to see her crying. It was also awesome when she cursed just before getting on camera earlier on. If I remember correctly , "I don't know what the hell we're doing.... And hello, welcome!"

:lmao:
Missed that.  :lmao:

My boss is the biggest stick in the mud ever. Decides to have a meeting right at time. Told her I'll be leaving for a few minutes and coming back. 

Raining here north of Mpls :sadbanana:
Working in the eastern suburbs of Minneapolis (Woodbury) and the clouds held off just long enough to see the peak eclipse. What's crazy is that even when the sun is 85% covered, it didn't really seem much darker outside. I guess that's just how bright the sun is. 

I've been telling people incorrect, idiotic ways to make a 'viewer'.  "yeah, you grab a roll of toilet paper.  you have to spread almond butter on the inside of the cardboard tube combined with eucerin or Vaseline.  tie a string around the toilet paper and cover one end with Reynolds non stick aluminum foil.  it has to be Reynolds.  then poke 5 holes in the tin foil using a #3 pencil.  a #2 pencil wont do.  holes need to be at 12 oclock, 2, 5, 8 and 10.  then lay on your back looking thru the uncovered end and yell yahtzee".

Users who are viewing this thread