What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Eclipse 2017 (1 Viewer)

Had a blast here in Springfield, MO.  Bosses sprung for enough glasses for everyone.  We grilled burgers and hot dogs for lunch.  A bunch of people had their family members come by.  Everyone was out in the parking lot and not a cloud in the sky.

Wish we had more of a totality.  95% was pretty dim, but even using my camera through my regular sunglasses, it just looked like a round sun because it was too bright.  With the special glasses we could see the coverage well.  The holes through the trees was probably the coolest looking thing along with just being so dim out that lights started kicking on.

OK, life goes on, back to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in Midtown St. Louis, we had total coverage for about 30-45 seconds. Pretty cool to look around and see a sunset for 360 degrees and hear the locusts start to sing. 

Pretty unexciting so far.  Slightly dimmer, still hot and humid.  Looking at the sun through the glasses looks like a half moon, except smaller and orange instead of white.  Yawn.

Temps were in the 90's, stupid hot outside about an hour before, then started getting cooler, dusk-like, and then it happened.  About 5 minutes before, crickets started chirping.  It was eerie.

Just taking it in, only had about 40 seconds, took that picture as quickly as I could so I could just look around a bit more.  Walking back in the house and it was dark inside.  Just such a cool event. 

But I didn't cry like the Weather Channel lady.

29 degrees and snowing in nags head, packs of wolves starting to appear. And my wife just offered to wash dishes.  :shock:

Light is a little odd outside now.  Maybe this will be cool after all.

Just had two girls pull up and ask me where I got my glasses.  I told them I ordered them weeks ago.  They seemed discouraged, then tried flirting with me, ostensibly to get me to give them my glasses.  I told them to f off.

I'm about 10 miles west of the city and we're getting several good looks.  Sometimes just have to wait until the denser clouds have passed.
I'm over in NWI, haven't seen squat through the clouds. Now inside watching views from other places on FB live; much better IMO.

My whole office is outside. A bunch of people had glasses so I was able to see. Pretty cool. I did try to look through my fingers and it hurt instantly lol. Oops.

Pretty awesome. Got to a good spot, and the clouds were rolling in right at the end. Still got to see it.  :thumbup:

Just went out and checked.  Still about 30% coverage.  Slightly dimmer and cooler than before it started, but we are almost back to complete normalcy here.

Snoozefest.  It gets darker and colder when a storm cell passes through the area in the afternoon 2-3 times a week.  Maybe if we were in the 100% path it would have been something, but at 85% it was extremely underwhelming.

Snoozefest.  It gets darker and colder when a storm cell passes through the area in the afternoon 2-3 times a week.  Maybe if we were in the 100% path it would have been something, but at 85% it was extremely underwhelming.
Yeah, 85% was not much different than a cloudy day.  92-95% range was a noticeable difference.  I'll probably make plans to visit the 2024 totality path.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it was truly the "totality" that was awe-inspiring.  The rest was similar to a storm even if slightly different.  Feel very lucky to have been able to experience it.

The coolest part for me was watching the cars drive by.  The Eclipse reflected perfectly off of the windshield and would change shapes as the car moved.

Users who are viewing this thread