What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Dennis Suarez with some very incisive passing last night.  He has a big chance to stake his claim with Neymar/Rafinha in Rio and Iniesta out for a couple of weeks. 

On what I knew of the players at the beginning of the season, I would have anticipated Schneiderlin in that role.  But Mourinho chose Fellaini, and was rewarded with a performance that everyone would have agreed was excellent if it had been turned in by Schneiderlin.  It's always been hard to evaluate Fellaini in that role because he never really fully committed to playing it.  If Mourinho can get him to buy in, he solidifies a position where I felt United lacked depth. 
I was hoping Schneiderlin would be in there and expected we would see Carrick.  If Fellaini can put in that performance every week, my attitude about him may change.  But I still believe there are better options for that role especially in transition to attack and most certainly if you are playing vs quicker better midfielders.  

What are you, a Serie A fan?
Would be if I could watch it.

But although Fellaini played defensively, I thought United played very attractive attacking football.  In part because Herrera (who was your Pogba stand-in on the day) had the liberty to get forward.  Now, I only really started watching after the Mata goal, and I imagine that forced Howe to open up a bit, but one thing you get from Jose is that you can always see how the pieces he puts out there are supposed to fit together.  If a fullback is getting forward, you know he has a midfielder covering that flank.  If one CM is up, another is back. It's simple stuff, but I can't tell you how many times I saw Fellaini "up" when he was supposed to be back when Moyes was in charge. 

But although Fellaini played defensively, I thought United played very attractive attacking football.  In part because Herrera (who was your Pogba stand-in on the day) had the liberty to get forward.  Now, I only really started watching after the Mata goal, and I imagine that forced Howe to open up a bit, but one thing you get from Jose is that you can always see how the pieces he puts out there are supposed to fit together.  If a fullback is getting forward, you know he has a midfielder covering that flank.  If one CM is up, another is back. It's simple stuff, but I can't tell you how many times I saw Fellaini "up" when he was supposed to be back when Moyes was in charge. 
Fellaini was very disciplined this week.  His pass chart shows him in the middle and slightly on the left of the park most of the time. Problem is he doesn't have the vision or the ability to break open the d with a pass like Carrick.  You wont get that killer ball.  In this role, what he showed was the best you are going to get.  And for someone that everyone thinks should be good in the attack and in the air (he isnt), DM isnt where you want him.  But I am not Jose (or LVG or Moyes) and Fellaini doesnt have naked pics of me.  

I don't think Jose looks for the killer ball from that position.  Makelele didn't have a large passing range.  Matic and Jon Obi Mikel  don't have a large passing range.  Think it was still Materazzi at Inter. Xabii Alonso did, but Jose always paired him with a more defensive minded partner (which is why Modric didn't break through at Real until Jose left). 

I don't think Jose looks for the killer ball from that position.  Makelele didn't have a large passing range.  Matic and Jon Obi Mikel  don't have a large passing range.  Think it was still Materazzi at Inter. Xabii Alonso did, but Jose always paired him with a more defensive minded partner (which is why Modric didn't break through at Real until Jose left). 
Interesting and good to know.  Hey if Fellaini can fit in and do what he did yesterday vs better teams, then great.  And good for him.  And I'll be happy and wont cringe every time hes on the team sheet.  

(Schneiderlin offers all of what Fellaini did and more :P ).

Does it have to do with soccer?

Yes - Does it have to do with a USMNT player/game?

Yes - Post here

No - Does it have to do with an EPL player/team?

Yes - Does it involve an actual game?

Yes - post here

No - post here

No - Does it have to do with MLS?

Yes - PM Andy

No - Does it have to do with La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, Ligue 1 player/team/game?

Yes - nobody cares, keep it to yourself

No - Does it have to do with Olympics, World Cup, non-US International Tournament?

Yes - post in thread dedicated to that event

No - Go back to the first question, and answer "no"

No - Post it in one of Tim's threads
:lmao: amazing 

:lmao:  

fubo.tv

Man U looked solid.  I picked them to win the league because they were already a pretty solid team defensively and Mourinho can only help. 

Game 1 confirms that to me. They bored Bournemouth and the football world to death, and then when Bournemouth tired, they took them out.  

Now you throw Zlatan up top and put Pogba in the middle and they are going to be really boring and really tough to beat.  They won't be as high scoring as City/Arsenal/Liverpool, but they don't have the defensive issues those teams have either.  

Last edited by a moderator:

As unpopular as it is, I  :wub: Jose...his personality, his pragmatism, but most of all, his arrogance.

Fellaini was very disciplined this week.  His pass chart shows him in the middle and slightly on the left of the park most of the time. Problem is he doesn't have the vision or the ability to break open the d with a pass like Carrick.  You wont get that killer ball.  In this role, what he showed was the best you are going to get.  And for someone that everyone thinks should be good in the attack and in the air (he isnt), DM isnt where you want him.  But I am not Jose (or LVG or Moyes) and Fellaini doesnt have naked pics of me.  
I understand the "hate", but if you go back to his Everton days, he was an excellent role player, who does have talent.  I was impressed with his first game under Jose. Plus he's Belgian!  

Belgians are this decade's "Brazilians", from the last decade.  EVERYONE WANTS ONE!

I understand the "hate", but if you go back to his Everton days, he was an excellent role player, who does have talent.  I was impressed with his first game under Jose. Plus he's Belgian!  

Belgians are this decade's "Brazilians", from the last decade.  EVERYONE WANTS ONE!
I agree with everything in this post so hard it hurts.

I don't disagree.  He is a great option for a mid table team with not title ambitions.  He is a good role player and has some talent (Amazing chest traps).  But for a title chasing team looking to play fast and counter he doesnt fit.  He is perfect for Sunderland and Moyes.  :D

Plus Belgium looked much better when he wasnt on the pitch!

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't disagree.  He is a great option for a mid table team with not title ambitions.  He is a good role player and has some talent (Amazing chest traps).  But for a title chasing team looking to play fast and counter he doesnt fit.  He is perfect for Sunderland and Moyes.  :D
He's a stopgap for this year.  As long as he stays disciplined, Jose will call him in to break up attacks.  

He's a stopgap for this year.  As long as he stays disciplined, Jose will call him in to break up attacks.  
Which is odd to me when you have Schneiderlin, Carrick, heck even Schweini to do that.  And Schneiderlin isnt a stop gap, he can be the answer imo

True.  Not sure about very well, but he was fine sitting in the role.  Solid/controlled game, but do you really want him as your holding MF when you have options that give you that and more? 

Schneiderlin - More pace, stronger defender

Carrick - Better passer, more discipline
Look up youtube on Matic or Mikel and you'll see exactly what Jose wants out of his DM...aka not going forward and not pretty.

Which is odd to me when you have Schneiderlin, Carrick, heck even Schweini to do that.  And Schneiderlin isnt a stop gap, he can be the answer imo
I agree with Schneiderlin...but there must be something behind the scenes that prevents his playing time...he reminds me of Mirallas at Everton.  The talent is obviously there...maybe the attitude isn't?

I agree with Schneiderlin...but there must be something behind the scenes that prevents his playing time...he reminds me of Mirallas at Everton.  The talent is obviously there...maybe the attitude isn't?
definitely something strange with Schneiderlin and I'm shocked at mav's love for Carrick who makes his best passes towards his keeper in stride for the other team's striker.

definitely something strange with Schneiderlin and I'm shocked at mav's love for Carrick who makes his best passes towards his keeper in stride for the other team's striker.
Thats Fellani not carrick.  Carrick passed forward more then anyone in the LVG era.  He has been great for United and should be the backup to Schneiderlin.

But yeah there is obviously something we dont know about Schneid.

Were you guys familiar with this new format UEFA is planning "UEFA Nations League"?  Sounds like it is going to replace many UEFA vs UEFA friendlies

=====================

ESPN today will formally announce its purchase of a U.S. package of European soccer rights that was agreed to nearly 10 months ago. ESPN agreed to pay around $110M for a package that includes Euro '20 and its qualifiers, the European '22 World Cup qualifiers, a planned UEFA Nations League tournament of friendlies in '18 and '20 and the UEFA Nations League Final Four in '19 and '21. ESPN outbid beIN Sports, Fox Sports and NBC Sports for the package. Univision picked up the Spanish-language rights in the U.S. for around $70M.

I did see that.  Good for him. Like I have said, very controlled/solid game.  Didnt do anything fancy or special, got the ball and passed it.  Had lots of space to work.  Played the ball around the middle to left side of the park.
I'll pile on- thought he looked really good.

that said... I did think burnmouth was finding a lot of action in that space just in front of the CBs and behind the MF- lots of good checking or angled runs and receiving the ball. not typically an indication of the holding MF shutting down passing lanes. so... he did a good job closing down the attackers, chesting, elbows, tackling, releasing the ball quickly- not so much with the passing lanes.

Users who are viewing this thread