What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need help losing weight and getting back in shape (1 Viewer)

I really like the article, and I've totally come around to weight loss being about 80% eating and 20% everything else. And I was onboard with everything in the article, until this:

They are using the above-example to show that exercise doesn't help much with weight loss, yet I think most people would be thrilled with over 1 lb. per week with just an hour, four days a week of exercise. 

In one year, someone could lose 60 lbs. just running an hour four days a week and not changing their diet. That seems like a good deal to me!
They start off with an example of a 200 lb guy doing the exercise but how many people who actually can/need to lose 60 lbs are able to just start running for an hour 4x a week? What's considered a medium intensity...4 MPH? Are 300 lb guys just cranking out 4 miles the first time they step on a treadmill? Hell I started around 220 in my most recent effort to lose weight and was used to going pretty high in intensity on ellipticals and bikes and I still couldn't run at a decent pace for more than 3 or 4 minutes at first, before slowly building myself up. 

I really like the article, and I've totally come around to weight loss being about 80% eating and 20% everything else. And I was onboard with everything in the article, until this:

They are using the above-example to show that exercise doesn't help much with weight loss, yet I think most people would be thrilled with over 1 lb. per week with just an hour, four days a week of exercise. 

In one year, someone could lose 60 lbs. just running an hour four days a week and not changing their diet. That seems like a good deal to me!
I think you underestimate how unwilling most people are in devoting an hour a day to something new. Add in that after two weeks of this, they have 2 lbs to show for it... they don't think of the "wow, this is great - after a year, it's 50+ lbs". They think "that's it?"

You are/were an entrepreneur, right? You think bigger picture, and self motivation isn't a problem. I get it - me too. I actually do the hour a day on the treadmill thing - done it for years - it's just part of my daily routine. Every few months, my wife "tries" to join me, but simply cannot devote the time. Yet she finds time for an hour of Facebook, watching politics or reality TV, etc. She's just not wired to do it. Most people aren't.

w/o reading the whole thread? what app is everyone talking 'bout?

side note, I am ready to start the Whole Life Challenge. W/o any serious dieting ever in my life, I did it about 2 years ago and lost a good amount of weight and kick started my spring/summer workout. I'm only doing it as an individual this year (my gym is not participating this time), but I'd gladly team up with anyone here to keep the progress going. 

keep up the great work guys 

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier in the thread or not, but I have found that decreasing my alcohol intake has had a drastic effect on my weight. I am a much different looking person when I'm drinking 3 beers a weekend as opposed to 15+ (my old norm). I also feel better overall, and sleep better too.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Losing weight is hard.  I'm still stuck at right around 230.  Would love to be 210.  Just haven't had the discipline to get there.  That said, I have no business travel on the horizon for the first time in many months, and I'm trying to be more active.  I walk to my office instead of the subway, and I'm implementing a plan whereby I try and slip out of work early a few days per week and hustle home to meet with my 5 year old -- she rides her bike, and I jog alongside.  It's not a super fast pace, but in our first outing we went a mile and a half, she had an absolute blast, and it's a great excuse for us to spend some quality time together (and it's helping her get more confident on her bicycle -- I'd like to get the training wheels off soon).  I'm looking forward to make this a routine, and extending the runs longer and longer.  I'm hoping this, combined with keeping an eye on my eating habits, combined with walking more will all create a perfect storm for Otis to lose 20lbs.  

We'll see.
Love this. My problem is that I also have a 2 year old boy who wants to go everywhere I take my 5 year old daughter. So, I can't just take her and then having both of them is usually like herding cats.

Keep at it. A failure here and there (eating a bit more than you want or eating stuff you shouldn't or missing a jog with your daughter, etc) is bound to happen. Honestly, I think it is harder to lose 20 pounds than it is to lose 80 pounds.

They start off with an example of a 200 lb guy doing the exercise but how many people who actually can/need to lose 60 lbs are able to just start running for an hour 4x a week? What's considered a medium intensity...4 MPH? Are 300 lb guys just cranking out 4 miles the first time they step on a treadmill? Hell I started around 220 in my most recent effort to lose weight and was used to going pretty high in intensity on ellipticals and bikes and I still couldn't run at a decent pace for more than 3 or 4 minutes at first, before slowly building myself up. 
Me running an hour is not going to happen right now. But you can build on it.

I remember a while back when I had a couple of extra pounds on me (not being sarcastic) and just not in the best shape of my life- I starting talking to this insanely hot chick. She was going to school to be a nutritionist, worked out, pilates, yoga, etc. All about a healthy lifestyle. Well, she invited me to walk with her. Who the hell is going to say no? So we went. A fairly good clip for a few miles. After a couple of walks, she started having us go faster and longer. Within a short period of time we were basically speed walking several miles a day. Being a little slow sometimes it took me a bit to figure out that she was tricking me into getting into shape. Right before we starting jogging the several miles an old x came back into the picture and we drifted apart..... and fast forward a number of years and I am 290 pounds trying to figure out how to walk 20 minutes a day. I am sure if we stayed together- I would be a Greek god of a specimen eating raw kale through the day and running 20 miles for a warm up with a hot chick next to me. While some of it is appealing, some of it.... not so much. Plus, unless it was nutrition or working out or something like that- the chick couldn't carry a decent conversation. Ok, my bunny trail is over.

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier in the thread or not, but I have found that decreasing my alcohol intake has had a drastic effect on my weight. I am a much different looking person when I'm drinking 3 beers a weekend as opposed to 15+ (my old norm). I also feel better overall, and sleep better too.  
Alcohol has an insane amount of calories. If your eating habits are ok and all you do is drink your calories- man, that is an easy way to lose weight.

glvsav37 said:
w/o reading the whole thread? what app is everyone talking 'bout?

side note, I am ready to start the Whole Life Challenge. W/o any serious dieting ever in my life, I did it about 2 years ago and lost a good amount of weight and kick started my spring/summer workout. I'm only doing it as an individual this year (my gym is not participating this time), but I'd gladly team up with anyone here to keep the progress going. 

keep up the great work guys 
MyFitnessPal

Started working out at Orange Theory about 6 weeks ago.  I absolutely hate working out, but this place motivates me.  Downside is that it's really expensive (about $18-20 per class), but it's exactly what I need, so I don't mind spending the money. Here's an overview below (granted there's some marketing in there too).  I can already tell a difference after 6 weeks (going 2-3x a week)

The physiological theory behind the Orangetheory workout is known as “Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption,” or EPOC. By providing you with a heart-rate monitor and POD, we can monitor your 5-zone interval training sessions that we call the Orange 60. During the 60-minute workout, you will perform multiple intervals designed to produce 12 to 20 minutes of training at 84% or higher of your maximum heart rate, which translates to Zones 4/5. This program design produces workout "afterburn" effect, which is an increased metabolic rate for 24 to 36 hours after the workout. When combining the amazing workout with EPOC, our clients burn an average of 500 to 1000 calories.

The Orangetheory workout will produce increased muscle Endurance, Strength and Power and if desired, tremendous weight loss. With energetic music, a talented group of fitness coaches and a high-energy studio, you have the recipe for a workout that produces BIG and LASTING results.

Started working out at Orange Theory about 6 weeks ago.  I absolutely hate working out, but this place motivates me.  Downside is that it's really expensive (about $18-20 per class), but it's exactly what I need, so I don't mind spending the money. Here's an overview below (granted there's some marketing in there too).  I can already tell a difference after 6 weeks (going 2-3x a week)

The physiological theory behind the Orangetheory workout is known as “Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption,” or EPOC. By providing you with a heart-rate monitor and POD, we can monitor your 5-zone interval training sessions that we call the Orange 60. During the 60-minute workout, you will perform multiple intervals designed to produce 12 to 20 minutes of training at 84% or higher of your maximum heart rate, which translates to Zones 4/5. This program design produces workout "afterburn" effect, which is an increased metabolic rate for 24 to 36 hours after the workout. When combining the amazing workout with EPOC, our clients burn an average of 500 to 1000 calories.

The Orangetheory workout will produce increased muscle Endurance, Strength and Power and if desired, tremendous weight loss. With energetic music, a talented group of fitness coaches and a high-energy studio, you have the recipe for a workout that produces BIG and LASTING results.
That must be one sweaty ### gym.

Started working out at Orange Theory about 6 weeks ago.  I absolutely hate working out, but this place motivates me.  Downside is that it's really expensive (about $18-20 per class), but it's exactly what I need, so I don't mind spending the money. 
My wife wants to join, I'm in one of their "premium locations"...

$300 a month, kinda ridiculous.

:shock:  If I am spending this much I better have a personal cheerleader in a Raiderette outfit who gives me a happy ending at the end for putting in a good effort in the work out.

Yeah, it's literally 2x the cost of what I would pay to go to another gym...but I've tried before and just can't get motivated to do anything on my own anymore.  This is well worth it to me :shrug:

#### that's more expensive than a crossfit gym. get out of here with that
The $300 was in a premium area (NYC, if his FBG location was current).  FWIW, I'm paying $108/month for 8 classes and $18/additional class.  There's also a $159 option for unlimited classes/month

The $300 was in a premium area (NYC, if his FBG location was current).  FWIW, I'm paying $108/month for 8 classes and $18/additional class.  There's also a $159 option for unlimited classes/month
I assume the hot chick percentage is relatively high?  If so, that's a bargain.

Otis said:
This thread has me tempted to go full bale. 

Full Bale is for wussies. If you're not beholden to the stupid thousand-calorie minimum from your bet with Woz, try going Full Gandhi.

(Actually, it's kind of difficult to go about your normal life while going Full Gandhi. You're supposed to just lie around watching Netflix. The next best option is probably to go Full Martian, which allows you to maintain your normal energy levels while still losing weight pretty darn fast.)

Full Bale is for wussies. If you're not beholden to the stupid thousand-calorie minimum from your bet with Woz, try going Full Gandhi.

(Actually, it's kind of difficult to go about your normal life while going Full Gandhi. You're supposed to just lie around watching Netflix. The next best option is probably to go Full Martian, which allows you to maintain your normal energy levels while still losing weight pretty darn fast.)
This Full Gandhi sounds AWESOME. 

Walked again today on lunch. Did a route that took me about 25 minutes which may be good to do for my lunch breaks. Then if I can get something more in at home- great but at least I will have that for most days (weather permitting).
Can you get another walk in at home?  Think you'd be surprised how effective a 30+ min walk would be added to your lunch walk.

I hate running but just picked up a jump rope for cardio and it is kicking my ###.  I like it so much better than running though and can get my heart pumping a lot quicker than a jog.  

It's been a while since I checked into this thread but my update is a positive one. I started 2016 right around 220 lbs, realizing I needed to do something and invest in my own health. Today I'm at 202.8 lbs and it's been due to a balance of diet and exercise (something I've historically struggled with).

For me, a few things really helped that I have seen some others suggest but I will continue to further as I know what it takes and what we're all hoping to achieve. MyFitnessPal has been a great resource for keeping me honest to what I eat. Usually I'm good about either eating well with no exercise because I didn't understand how to continue to balance energy in my diet and only drop calories or I'd go the other way with exercise but similar eating habits. As soon as my diet got off track or my exercise got off track, I was right back in the territory I once was. MFP has been a great app as I don't have to go hunting and pecking for every tiny thing that's not in their database as it's pretty comprehensive and allows me to more easily record my meals and keep up with macros to try to keep me as honest about where my goals are against nutrition needs given my exercise plan.

I also highly recommend the workout app called "fitbod" by fitbod LLC. It allows you to tailor goals (lean, build) along with attributes (time to workout, male/female) and attempts to guide you to an exercise plan to meet those goals. Also, if an exercise recommended is unfamiliar to you, they link to Bodybuilding.com demos where proper form is shown. It also shows you the fatigue of your given muscles as long as you record either the suggested workout or tailor it further yourself to what you actually did so that you do not injure yourself or unintentionally stall your own progress.

Yeah, that's how much it is for us in Florida. We tried it for awhile but then eventually just bought our own polar heart rate monitors.

Did well eating all week and then work goes to hell and I eat a double meat burger with fries from Whataburger...ugh.

I bookmarked this when it was posted and finally got around to reading it. I agree that the title is bad, but the journalism is really good.
I'm not buying the study where your basal rate goes down if you exercise.  In all likelihood, it's simply because people overestimate the calories burned during exercise, underestimate the calories from food, think they can eat more after they exercise so they do, and eat more because they're hungrier after exercising.  

And it's very true that the amount of calories you can burn exercising is a small percentage of your body's total calorie burn.  It's really all about taking in fewer calories.

Long time reader of the forum, never been motivated to post before. But wanted to thank you, Maurile, for what could have amounted to saving my life. I read up about the potato diet when you posted about it months ago, and It struck me as interesting and scientifically sound. Kept reading and mulling it over, knowing I had to do something drastic. Then, about 5 weeks ago, saw those spud fit videos, and decided to just do it. Committed to 90 days of the pure potato diet, with no added fat.

started out: 5'11", 280 lbs (holy smoke, that's bad) BP not too bad at mid 130s/ mid 80s, cholesterol over 200, triglycerides over 300, 42" waist, creeping into 44" waist territory.

5 week results: 238 lbs, BP 121/73, cholesterol 118, triglycerides 94, FBG 80, 38" waist creeping down into 36" territory. Started this past week adding in additional foods just because I was in a serious caloric deficit away from my BMR- it's really, really hard to eat your BMR in just potatoes, even with ketchup and salsa.

Otis, you need to do this and document it. It would be right up your alley, and the results are not only unbelievable, but easy. I haven't even started exercising seriously, just making sure I hit around 10,000 steps per day on Fitbit. Waiting until my weight comes down more before starting jogging again. Plus, I get bored reading the same crap in the forums and want to read an Otis " look at me, I'm really gonna do it" thread. 

Anyway, thanks Maurile and Culdeus for the solid posting on all things nutrition. I really appreciate it, and it changed my life.

He was my inspiration. I saw his videos, and he was already 90+ days in, and looked like a completely different person from day 1. That's what made me think I could go 90 days. He eats way more than I have been, too. He eats like 7-8 lbs of potatoes a day. I am barely able to eat 4-6 decent sized potatoes per day, without wanting to hurl. The monotony of it really kinda sucks, but I have not been hungry, at all.

Plus, the monotony of the diet has eliminated a lot of cravings that I used to have, especially for fatty foods and sweets. Ice cream was always a huge downfall for me, I'd kill a whole pint of Ben&Jerry's in 20 minutes at like 11 PM.

ProstheticRGK, if you haven't already read Tim Steele's book about eating potatoes, I highly recommend it.
Thanks, MT! Just ordered it. I recognize his name from the paleo board or mark's daily Apple forums.

The hack is so easy to follow, that I know I can do a decent sustainable diet long-term, and use this to "cleanse" for a couple days and return my gut health and metabolism to a good baseline in quick order, after a bit of indulgence.

I started to realize the weight was a major problem again right after Christmas and peaked at about 260, was able to bring that down before being weighed at the doctor at about 250. I got a lot more serious after the doctor weigh in which was around the beg or middle of February. Many of you wrote such encouraging words and I mean it sincerely, it really helps.  

I just was hoping to get back down to 225 but then along the way started to set the goals higher. At 6 foot 2 I have always been able to hide some of the weight because of my height but as you age everything starts to slide. 

Jan-260

Feb-250

Mar-235

Apr-225...this was in the past where I would stop.

May-215...I haven't been this weight since my early 20s...I'm 42. When I clear 200 and I will clear 200 this time around, we're talking almost high school for weight. I'm going to look better at 42 then I did at 22. I imagine the weight will get tougher to lose but I feel like I have a solid system or lifestyle in place. Here is the basic plan and I realize it's not for everyone. 

1a. I treat sugar like cocaine, I have it classified in my head as a narcotic. Sugar does so many evil things to my brain and personality aside from the massive weight gain. I don't drink much liquor or alcohol either. I don't miss it, I still have red wine and champagne when I feel like it and occasionally a Lite beer. 

1b. I use the My Fitness App and I cannot lie and tell you I log it in daily any more because I have gotten a lifestyle used to eating about 1500 calories daily give or take a few. As I log the weight in the app automatically adjusts my calories to about what I should be eating. Get this app and use it until it becomes 2nd nature for you to eat healthy and properly.  

2. Bread I found and dough in general is not my friend. I stopped eating pizza every other day, that was hard but I still have it once every couple weeks and I usually just buy a TJ 4-Cheese and top it with a little olive oil, parm, oregano, delicious and an entire frozen pizza has 1,000 calories in it...I can eat half or even the entire thing if I want to make myself feel a little sick but I can eat that and it won't sabotage the entire week. 

3. I eat fast food but it's a lot different and my fast food isn't your fast food if you are on the sidelines reading this and waiting to spring into action. I eat almost nothing that is processed now. In the grocery store I pretty much walk the produce section and the butcher shop, that's about it. 

MOP fast food: Smoothies...I gladly plunk down $8+ for a 20 oz organic smoothie, I used to spend that on Micky Ds without blinking. I will drink 2 smoothies a day if need be. I also eat a full salad once a day, usually lunch or dinner is going to be a salad, pair it with a black bean soup(Fiber is your friend). I will eat a big lunch, many times filled with brunch/breakfast items such as eggs which are great for your waistline(frack the cholesterol and lose the GD weight), real potatoes from the skillet, homemade breakfast sausage, rye toast butter on side, I probably eat that 3-4 times a week at the same little nook and they know what I'm going to order by heart. That sounds like a lot of greasy food but they actually do not cook it in a lot of grease which is why I like this little place. 

And those brunch style meals mentally make me feel like I ate out and didn't miss a beat. I like to eat that around 2-3 in the afternoon after school and then I eat a nice big salad with very little lettuce but loaded with tom, carrot, cucum, shrooms, the good stuff. I love ginger dressing.

-At first you are going to have hunger pangs at night a little, after a while your brain and body learn that they will not win and they stop talking to you around 10-11 at night, you know the visits if you battle weight. I do not put anything in my mouth other than water after about 7-8 PM, sometimes earlier but it's not a hard rule. Occasionally I'm hungry and I grab some fruit. I eat a lot of fruit now. It's OK to have a banana at 9pm, you won't explode I promise. 

-I would just like to say that the Mrs MOP watched me lose a few pounds and sprang into action. I was not happy about her joining a boxing gym but she likes to have fun and not feel like it is painful exercise so whatever works for her. She has been going for 2-3 months now and has lost at least 20-25 lbs and she is going to lose a lot more.

4. And I also need to share another key component and that is my almost daily walks. I use Soundcloud and stream Euro/US House/Dance music, walk/dance up and down the beach where I live so I'm a fool if I don't go out there and soak it in. But I want to stress that the walks are almost therapeutic. I put my head phones on and drown out everything, I work out issues so I don't find the Haagan Daaz later to eat away whatever the issues are. Some of eating and some of the reason we got in the shape we have is because we use food to combat or deal with problems even if you don't view it that way. I walk anywhere from 45-90 minutes just depends on day and time but I do not allow others or other things get in the way of this...this is MOP's personal time, nobody not even the wife interferes with my walk time. It's critical that you have time to think and search inside you and conquer your food deamons, I'm serious. I don't think the exercise is what is ripping the weight off me, it's just walking but it does help on days I have a couple drinks or flub a sweet or something. The better thing is simply not eat back the calories you burn, that pushes the weight loss into high gear IMO. I DVR sports and watch them when I come back, I stopped allowing the TV to control me. 

-Keep a lot of water, green tea, kombucha(great soda replacement) cold and ready to go in the fridge. TJ's has the best tasting cheap ones IMO in 1 liter bottles. 

I'm blessed to have a partner who saw what I was doing and knew it was important and jumped in with me. Our relationship has gotten a lot better and she can't keep her hands off me much to my delight. The little yellow sub and blue jets many take to increase sexual performance...I don't think 90% of you would need them if you were a little more in fighting shape, just saying I see a noticeable difference in the overall natural blood flow down there and you can figure the rest out. 

If you have any questions I'll try my best to answer but I think you have to find your motivation and also the reasons why you have allowed this nonsense to go on for too long. It was difficult for me and yes I still toke but I have a way to curve those hunger pangs to the point I don't really get them as much. 

Long time reader of the forum, never been motivated to post before. But wanted to thank you, Maurile, for what could have amounted to saving my life. I read up about the potato diet when you posted about it months ago, and It struck me as interesting and scientifically sound. Kept reading and mulling it over, knowing I had to do something drastic. Then, about 5 weeks ago, saw those spud fit videos, and decided to just do it. Committed to 90 days of the pure potato diet, with no added fat.

started out: 5'11", 280 lbs (holy smoke, that's bad) BP not too bad at mid 130s/ mid 80s, cholesterol over 200, triglycerides over 300, 42" waist, creeping into 44" waist territory.

5 week results: 238 lbs, BP 121/73, cholesterol 118, triglycerides 94, FBG 80, 38" waist creeping down into 36" territory. Started this past week adding in additional foods just because I was in a serious caloric deficit away from my BMR- it's really, really hard to eat your BMR in just potatoes, even with ketchup and salsa.

Otis, you need to do this and document it. It would be right up your alley, and the results are not only unbelievable, but easy. I haven't even started exercising seriously, just making sure I hit around 10,000 steps per day on Fitbit. Waiting until my weight comes down more before starting jogging again. Plus, I get bored reading the same crap in the forums and want to read an Otis " look at me, I'm really gonna do it" thread. 

Anyway, thanks Maurile and Culdeus for the solid posting on all things nutrition. I really appreciate it, and it changed my life.
So during the 90 days, did you eat nothing but potatoes? Or did you do it for 3-5 days and then have a day or two off?

Also - how did you generally prepare the potatoes?

Just received my new 44L suit, my old ones were 52 in the jacket...wow! 

I stepped into some buttery 38 inch Tommy Bahama jeans that almost look like pants. I can finally walk into a department store and find regular clothes that fit off the rack. 

Interesting.  Can you link me to this?  I may have to give it a try...

MOP, congrats on the awesome progress.  That's really incredible.

I think I'm on the precipice of real progress and some real, sustainable change, and possibly beating my fatty demons once and for all.  Feeling good about it.  We'll see where things stand in a few weeks.

So during the 90 days, did you eat nothing but potatoes? Or did you do it for 3-5 days and then have a day or two off?

Also - how did you generally prepare the potatoes?
I haven't even hit the 90 days yet. But for the first 10 days, it was nothing but potatoes and salt and pepper, black coffee and water. 3 days in, and all food cravings went away and was never hungry, even though I was only eating about 800-1000 calories/day. I dreaded eating potatoes by the end of the week. Then for the next 3 weeks or so, I added in onions, garlic and green, leafy vegetables to the potatoes: Kale, spinach and some broccoli and cabbage. I needed to get some variety in my diet, and even though my energy levels were through the roof, I worried about such a huge calorie deficit. Made a big difference in just being happy, but didn't slow down the results, at all.

After that first month, I was reading where you could add any kind of condiments you wanted, as long as there was no added fat. So, no ranch dressing or mayo, but salsa, ketchup, sriracha are good. This bit of reasoning came via dr. John McDougall, from one of his mentors, Dr. Walter Kempner at Duke Univeristy, who devised the first diet to treat malignant hypertension in the U.S. He fed his patients a diet of white rice and fruit juices, supplemented with table sugar, to get them to lose weight and keep their hypertension in check. That blew my mind, and really turned a lot of what I used to think I knew about nutrition on its head. I added in 2-3 pieces of fresh fruit per day- which tasted like the greatest thing in the world after nothing but potatoes for over a month and started using a ton of salsa and sriracha- even started making my own ketchup without HFCS. Just made sure that my fat intake was below 10% of total calories and calories still were down (1200-1400, even on the biggest eating days). After a week of that is when I had my doctor's appointment and got my results for 5 weeks on the diet.

sorry, this is running away from me, because I am really excited and have a lot to say about this... Don't mean to ramble. Anyway, after I got my results from the doctor, I knew that I was adopting the McDougall diet for a sustainable change for life. Instead of doing strictly potatoes, I switched to vegan/starch-based/no oil added, with 80% of calories from starchy plant foods (potatoes, rice, millet, barley, quinoa, wheat, oats) 20% from vegetables and fruits. No added fats. I think that's basically the secret to the potato hack- that ratio of keeping fat% under 10, and getting 80% from starchy plants, which have a really high satiety factor, with little caloric density. So, I'm basically doing the starch hack now, with a much more varied diet that doesn't feel restrictive. I just started doing the potato hack hardcore again on work days (12 hour shifts Su, Tu, Thu) and just do the McDougall's diet the other days of the week, with Saturday's as an almost cheat day, with stuff like vegan cookies, vegan ice cream or pizza. I bought a book on making vegan cheese, because a lot of vegan substitute foods taste like they were fermented in the trousers of an indigent. Trying this out from Tim Steele's book, the Potato Hack, that Maurile recommended up thread.

for cooking potatoes- I might not be the best person to ask, because I still get a little queasy thinking about all of the cold, boiled potatoes I choked down, just to put something in my stomach. I boiled a lot of them. Made mashed potatoes with no butter or milk added, substituted vegetable stock. Baked them. Made potato curries out of them. Made rosti and hash browns and potato pancakes. I have gotten pretty good at frying stuff with no oil added. Made potato chips in the microwave- surprisingly good. Made a really good potato soup with leeks and celery and mushrooms. I like to cook, and I'll share recipes if there's an interest or a place for it.

Interesting.  Can you link me to this?  I may have to give it a try...
Otis, if your personality IRL is even 75% of your online persona, this is the diet for you. There's all sorts of links and information out there, but here's the gist of it. When you are hungry, eat a potato.

Are ice cream sandwiches allowed? No. Eat a potato.

how many coronitas can I drink? None. Eat a potato.

How many potatoes can I eat? Trick question. You can eat as many as you want, but you will get full and not crave anything to eat way faster than you ever thought you would.

seriously, it's Taco Tuesday. I'm having a bucket of Coronitas. Put the mini beer down, oven mitts, and grab a frosty potato.

Commit to a timeframe to do this diet, at least a week, and follow it hardcore with no cheating, and you'll keep going. You'll see amazing results and you will lose food cravings and not be hungry, with a huge spike in energy level. Potatoes are like, the perfect food. No supplements, no shakes, no handfuls of almonds, just potatoes. You don't need to think about it, you can shut that part of your brain off that thinks about food. Plus, it's as extreme as full-Bale, but way more interesting and better for you. Plus, I guarantee you can finally beat Woz in that bet that's taken 100 years and finally get that embarrassing albatross off your neck. I mean, what kind of super-heroic comeback story would that be, if you rose from the dietary dead, Jon Snow like, and absolutely crushed it? An Otis comeback story, that's what. You got this.

Links: check out the McDougall's website above, search for the MWL (Maximum Weight Loss program) and Mary's Mini diet. Also, get your hands on The Potato Hack, by Tim Steele. All the info you'd need is in that book. 

Potato Hack blog

Mark's Daily Apple forums

Spud fit videos this is an Australian guy who committed to doing the potato diet for a year. Check out his results and how much weight he loses so fast. This is what inspired me to do it.

Paleo blog on the potato hack

tl;dr eat potatoes. It works

After that first month, I was reading where you could add any kind of condiments you wanted, as long as there was no added fat. 
You have two choices in dieting if you want to lose weight very fast.

• Go extreme low carb
  • Go extreme low fat
Both will work equally well at accomplishing core objectives of fat loss.  The potato diet just happens to be from the scope of the second one.  A serving of potato is about 7g of protein more or less so it's not just starch.  If you remove all fat from your diet you will more selectively lose fat.  Same thing happens if you selectively remove carbs, but for different reasons.

I think I'd want to kill myself fairly quickly on something like that.  Most research does indicate a no-fat diet is more successful in the short term so you seem to be evidence of that to an extent. 

Users who are viewing this thread