What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justin Blackmon Suspended Indefinitely (1 Viewer)

Close to giving up on him. Had some hope but things aren't looking good.

Hopefully he's investing his money well. Shocking he'd blow so much money but his head doesn't seem to be on straight.

Alfie Crow of bigcatcountry.com reports that it is looking more and more like former Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon won't be returning to the NFL.

"Our process hasn’t changed," Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell said at the teams pre-draft luncheon on Friday afternoon, according to Crow. "Plan to go without him, but if he emerges, he emerges and he’s going to go in with those top guys and compete with those other guys. Hopefully we’re able to get some news, but if not, we weren’t planning on it, we’re just going to go."

Crow continues, "For all intents and purposes, it appears as if the Jaguars have moved on from Blackmon and aren't expecting him back for the 2015 season. This means the likelihood Blackmon ever returns to the NFL is exceedingly slim and highly unlikely, considering the last time he played a snap in the NFL was in November of 2013."

Now that I think about it, OSU WRs have established a tradition of character issues in recent years. Rashaun Woods, Adarius Bowman, Dez Bryant, Justin Blackmon, and recently Tyreek Hill. Yikes. Apparently they need to include some "life skills and good decision making" classes in their practice schedule.

not sure why he hasn't applied.....there has to be some reason.....maybe he is being "advised" not to right now for some business angle we don't know about.....

in either case, he hasn't been cut/released yet (there has to be reason behind this as well, JAC has not thrown in the towel)....and this thread starts going a different direction when/if he does, is cleared, and he gets back in shape.....

not sure why he hasn't applied.....there has to be some reason.....maybe he is being "advised" not to right now for some business angle we don't know about.....

in either case, he hasn't been cut/released yet (there has to be reason behind this as well, JAC has not thrown in the towel)....and this thread starts going a different direction when/if he does, is cleared, and he gets back in shape.....
Why would JAX cut him? There's no incentive for them to cut him. The contract is essentially on hold until he is reinstated. There's no risk or cost associated with keeping his rights.

Why would JAX cut him? There's no incentive for them to cut him. The contract is essentially on hold until he is reinstated. There's no risk or cost associated with keeping his rights.
Yep. He's not getting paid, and doesn't count against their cap or roster limits. Absolutely no reason not to hold. Means nothing until it actually costs them something IMO.

Yep. He's not getting paid, and doesn't count against their cap or roster limits. Absolutely no reason not to hold. Means nothing until it actually costs them something IMO.
exactly my point.....many are saying he's done....donzo....time to move on, etc.....this isn't a pretrial Aaron Hernandez sitaution where ties were cut pretty much immediately.....JAC has no reason to do anything, but they could have if they wanted to....to just be done with it.....

I still think there is something we don't really know for sure, because reports were that JAC was hoping to have an answer on the reinstatetment prior to the draft.....rightly so....and you would think they would have been putting some pressure on him to #### or get off the pot to at least get an answer on that....he is eligible to apply and I'm not sure what has changed or will change with that as the days move on....so while he may not be counting against them, not knowing that answer still puts them in a tough spot, cause if he is reinstated he does start counting/affecting them.....sure they can wait til later, but #### changes tomorrow......some might think JAC would take the approach of, well, we've kind of stood by you, for whatever reason you are chosing not to apply for reinstatement and that is putting us in a tough situation so F you.....but the fact that Blackmon is not just an average player etc., probably keeps them from doing that.....so while JAC has no incentive to do anything and it's not "costing" them anything, it really is kind of messing with their plans....he's not just some speacial teams guy....if you know you have him back, you maybe don't take a WR....now they may have to.....and while it may be hard to put that into dollar signs, it is costly.....

I personally don't think there's anything more at all here than is obvious from a superficial glance -- Blackmon is a very talented kid who doesn't really care about his NFL career, and probably won't until his rookie contract $ runs out. The Jags know this, but keep him on the team because "why not, it's free." The end.

Unsubstantiated twitter rumor yesterday that jags front office believe more bad news on Blackmon horizon. No details but beat reporter commented that there's belief he wouldn't be eligible for reinstatement. Don't know if relapse or didn't finish his treatment or what.

Mike Dempsey ‏@md_1010xl 54m54 minutes ago

Confirmed via @APMarkLong that Justin Blackmon DID apply for reinstatement and was denied.
That's not good
Actually, I see it as a positive, at least given that the other alternative had Blackmon not even caring enough to apply.
Yeah, awesome news.
Agree that the most likely outcome has him never playing again. But applying, even if denied, has to be better than not even caring enough to bother, right?

Confirmed via @APMarkLong that Justin Blackmon DID apply for reinstatement and was denied.
That's not good
Actually, I see it as a positive, at least given that the other alternative had Blackmon not even caring enough to apply.
Yeah, awesome news.
Agree that the most likely outcome has him never playing again. But applying, even if denied, has to be better than not even caring enough to bother, right?
Well, it all depends on why he was denied. Not that long ago, the owner was confident he would be reinstated. What happened since then?

That's not good
Yeah, awesome news.
Well, it all depends on why he was denied. Not that long ago, the owner was confident he would be reinstated. What happened since then?
I assume he failed drug/alcohol test.

That's not good
Yeah, awesome news.
Where did you see that? Everything I've read has the team basically moving on without him. As to why he was denied, it's been less than a year since his weed bust -- easily could be missed / failed tests that we don't know about in there too. Who knows.

That's not good
Yeah, awesome news.
Where did you see that? Everything I've read has the team basically moving on without him. As to why he was denied, it's been less than a year since his weed bust -- easily could be missed / failed tests that we don't know about in there too. Who knows.
Google "Justin Blackmon shalid khan". Khan was very optimistic back in January that Blackmon would be reinstated.

Is he worth a roster spot? Cut down to 20 before rookie draft today and have to decide between him and Rams DST (lol).

"I don't know to expect, but I would say common sense would probably be if you haven't played football in two and a half years, apparently that's not a priority for you."

"Under the CFL's "Ricky Williams rule," a player suspended by another professional league first needs that suspension lifted before he is eligible to play in Canada".

He's still done.

As Trump would say..."a total loser".

You know you're a mental patient that can't stop drinking, don't get in a car and potentially impact others.

Hope he gets help before he kills himself or someone else. If he wants to party and doesn't care about playing football again, that's fine. Repeatedly getting behind the wheel while drunk / high clearly isn't. Hope he gets some jail time and wakes up a bit.

Guy has a problem. Kicking him when that is clear because he's not on your fantasy team, is dumb. It's going to be sad if he gets clean and regrets all this when its too late. I also think it's sad because he flashed the talent to be a transcendent WR. This, I would assume, is the end for football if it wasn't already.

Surprisingly scored a 22 on the wonderlic... I was expecting in like the 8-12 range
Alcoholism =/= stupidity
Surprisingly scored a 22 on the wonderlic... I was expecting in like the 8-12 range
So you're saying you've never personally known an addict or alcoholic.
Having a problem and being a moron are separate issues. Getting a taxi/driver down?

Alcoholism =/= stupidity
So you're saying you've never personally known an addict or alcoholic.
Having a problem and being a moron are separate issues. Getting a taxi/driver down?
Denial is the deep seam route of every addict or alcoholic. It's in every playbook in the league.

Users who are viewing this thread