What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Is Jonathan Stewart a buy low? (2 Viewers)

This is likely the highest ADP JStew has had since 2009 and there's been very little discussion about it. Has everyone just completely given up on him?

It's really hard to ignore how good he was toward the end of the season after DWills went down..

Over the final five weeks of the regular season, Stewart was tied for seventh in the NFL with 91 rushing attempts and was second in rushing yards with 486 on a robust 5.3 yards per attempt. He then added another 193 rushing yards on 37 carries (5.2 YPC) in the postseason versus two good defenses in Arizona and Seattle.

Per Pro Football Focus, Stewart forced a missed tackle once every 3.57 touches, which was the second best mark of all backs with 200 plus touches behind only Marshawn Lynch.In terms of success rates, Stewart was one of only 13 running backs to be better than league average on every level of run.
As always, injuries are the main concern. It's technically a stretch to expect 13 games from him this season. A possibly anemic offense/stacked boxes are also a bit concerning. I don't think volume/talent is in question however. He's probably the last RB coming off the board guaranteed the type of volume he's going to see.

Huge trap or huge value?

bellcow.

Yes. i do worry about the loss of KB, but will they be running more, little dump offs to JStew? Stewart avg 16 carries per game in the nine games played without williams. If we extrapolate his per game production over 16 games, we look at 254 carries, 1138 yards, 4 tds, 27 receptions, 185 yards and 2 recieving tds. putting him about rb14 last season.

feels like a solid rb2.

Worried about the Benjamin injury. Panthers didn't exactly have a lot of WR depth to spare. Maybe Funchess can make an impact, but seems unlikely.

I have him in quite a few dynasties and will roll him out every week as a starter, but I'm only lukewarm on this season. I didn't target him in my redraft.

Didn't practice yesterday. News reports said it was a day of rest for the veteran, then the team practice report listed him a DNP for knee injury. Anything to see here?

Worried about the Benjamin injury. Panthers didn't exactly have a lot of WR depth to spare. Maybe Funchess can make an impact, but seems unlikely.

I have him in quite a few dynasties and will roll him out every week as a starter, but I'm only lukewarm on this season. I didn't target him in my redraft.
If your only puke-warm this season are you expecting a breakout 5 years from now?

I'm having a tough time assessing JStew. He's been held to under 4YPC but he faced JAC week one (who held Miller to 1.4YPC today) and HOU this week (who held Charles to 3.5YPC). He's clearly going to have his TD upside capped by Cam but I have to imagine he'll fare better vs. NO next week. It's not an amazing match-up, but it will be his best one to date.

I'm having a tough time assessing JStew. He's been held to under 4YPC but he faced JAC week one (who held Miller to 1.4YPC today) and HOU this week (who held Charles to 3.5YPC). He's clearly going to have his TD upside capped by Cam but I have to imagine he'll fare better vs. NO next week. It's not an amazing match-up, but it will be his best one to date.
He's a very good runner in a very bad situation. High injury risk, touchdown-vulturing QB. With their weak passing game, it'll be tough sledding for JStew. But he really is a very good runner, and decent receiver. I could see him putting up a few GREAT games, but good luck predicting when it'll happen.

For what it's worth I love love love his schedule week 13 thru16, and I'm skeptical he'll make it that far without getting hurt. I'd almost rather stash CAP than spend anything usable on JStew.

ETA: CAP is a really, really long shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he can go to another team and backup a suspended guy for a few weeks like D Will did.....
Steelers look like geniuses for picking up DWill. This is such a weird game.
Williams has always been really good. So has Stewart. Unfortunately for FF owners they've spent the majority of their careers killing each other's #s. Not to mention Cam and Tolbert vulturing as well. IMO take either Williams or Stewart and put them on a good team as the featured RB and we're looking at a perennial Pro Bowler and FF stud.

Maybe he can go to another team and backup a suspended guy for a few weeks like D Will did.....
Steelers look like geniuses for picking up DWill. This is such a weird game.
Williams has always been really good. So has Stewart. Unfortunately for FF owners they've spent the majority of their careers killing each other's #s. Not to mention Cam and Tolbert vulturing as well. IMO take either Williams or Stewart and put them on a good team as the featured RB and we're looking at a perennial Pro Bowler and FF stud.
DeAngleo had HOFer talent.

I shouldn't be surprised that he's still kicking JStew's butt.

santa clause jonothon stewart and the easter bunny guess what these three brohans have in common brohans

SWC said:
santa clause jonothon stewart and the easter bunny guess what these three brohans have in common brohans
wrong all three of them have punched me in the face when i made fun of them at the mall is the correct answer bromigos

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean if you predicted a torn ACL for Kelvin Benjamin in the offseason then congrats to you. Given Carolina's neglect of the WR position, that was an enormous blow to their offense. During the entirety of the Stew/DeAngelo years, they always had either Steve Smith or Kelvin Benjamin to keep the other teams honest. Now they have literally trash at WR. A very raw rookie (Funchess) and a bunch of guys who are lucky to be on NFL rosters. Greg Olsen is a very good TE, but he's not a wide threat or a deep threat. If you're playing DC against Carolina, you know that if you can slow down the running game then they're not going to score much. Seems pretty clear.

I think you have to say that Stewart has been pretty unlucky in his career. First to be stuck with D-Will and now to lose Kelvin so early in his first true season as "the man" in this rushing game. For that matter, having maybe the best goal line running QB in history on his team these last few years has also been an overall negative for his production. That rushing TD for Cam is probably a situation where they hand off to a back on 95% of the teams in the league. That sort of thing really hurts him from week to week.

Ultimately, he is a clear starter 8 years deep into his career and that says a lot about his quality, but people with an emotional investment in his failure are still going to come in here and take pot shots any time they get the chance. These pathetic goons were nowhere to be found when he was lighting it up down the stretch last year, but the minute he has a bad game or tweaks an ankle you know that they'll come buzzing in like flies on a corpse.

IMO Stew is just a mediocre RB2 this year. He will score some TDs eventually by default, but the Benjamin injury and the Cam factor are going to make him a volatile weekly play. He still looks to have a pretty decent burst out there and has actually started each of the last two games with a strong YPC in the first half before gradually tapering off as the game wears on.

I mean if you predicted a torn ACL for Kelvin Benjamin in the offseason then congrats to you. Given Carolina's neglect of the WR position, that was an enormous blow to their offense. During the entirety of the Stew/DeAngelo years, they always had either Steve Smith or Kelvin Benjamin to keep the other teams honest. Now they have literally trash at WR. A very raw rookie (Funchess) and a bunch of guys who are lucky to be on NFL rosters. Greg Olsen is a very good TE, but he's not a wide threat or a deep threat. If you're playing DC against Carolina, you know that if you can slow down the running game then they're not going to score much. Seems pretty clear.

I think you have to say that Stewart has been pretty unlucky in his career. First to be stuck with D-Will and now to lose Kelvin so early in his first true season as "the man" in this rushing game. For that matter, having maybe the best goal line running QB in history on his team these last few years has also been an overall negative for his production. That rushing TD for Cam is probably a situation where they hand off to a back on 95% of the teams in the league. That sort of thing really hurts him from week to week.

Ultimately, he is a clear starter 8 years deep into his career and that says a lot about his quality, but people with an emotional investment in his failure are still going to come in here and take pot shots any time they get the chance. These pathetic goons were nowhere to be found when he was lighting it up down the stretch last year, but the minute he has a bad game or tweaks an ankle you know that they'll come buzzing in like flies on a corpse.

IMO Stew is just a mediocre RB2 this year. He will score some TDs eventually by default, but the Benjamin injury and the Cam factor are going to make him a volatile weekly play. He still looks to have a pretty decent burst out there and has actually started each of the last two games with a strong YPC in the first half before gradually tapering off as the game wears on.
yeah i missed on factoring how much would impact him

This is a bunch of horse hockey.

I've been here for years telling you how it is while you've been pimping this roster anchor for nearly a decade. By the way, Benjamin's injury should be a push because he was a huge TD option in the red zone. J. Charles doesn't seem to have a problem racking up yards and TDs with no WR threat.

I've been here for years telling you how it is while you've been pimping this roster anchor for nearly a decade. By the way, Benjamin's injury should be a push because he was a huge TD option in the red zone. J. Charles doesn't seem to have a problem racking up yards and TDs with no WR threat.
Yea, we all know that you're a loyal "fan" of the Panthers who never misses an opportunity to take digs at Stewart. You've made that clear over the years. IMO the TDs Benjamin would have vultured would've been offset by the benefits that his presence would've had in every other respect. They likely would've scored more and moved the ball better with him around. They likely would've been more efficient running the ball. I didn't hear you flapping your lips last season when Stewart was on his torrid stretch run, but then again I don't really listen to what you have to say anyway. Just an annoying wind-up toy who comes in here chirping any time the chips are down. Count yourself lucky that it's breaking this way so you can continue with your valuable contributions to this thread.

As for Charles, the Chiefs have had Maclin or Bowe throughout his entire career. Bowe was pretty bad the last couple years there, but still more of a threat than anything Carolina has at WR right now. I've never rated Maclin very highly at all, but (importantly) one thing that he brings is deep speed and downfield playmaking ability. That and the Conley pick suggest that the Chiefs recognize the value of stretching the defense so that their short-intermediate playmakers like Kelce and Charles can function. The Panthers have addressed the same need with Ted freakin' Ginn, a guy who has bounced around the league like a pinball because at the end of the day he's nothing but a 40 time.

Carolina has neglected the WR position for years, but at the same time they've always had one guy who could play (Muhammad --> Smith --> Benjamin). They have Olsen now and that's nice, but there's no element of danger on the perimeter whatsoever and I have a hard time believing that this doesn't negatively impact the rest of their offense.

Yea, we all know that you're a loyal "fan" of the Panthers who never misses an opportunity to take digs at Stewart. You've made that clear over the years. IMO the TDs Benjamin would have vultured would've been offset by the benefits that his presence would've had in every other respect. They likely would've scored more and moved the ball better with him around. They likely would've been more efficient running the ball. I didn't hear you flapping your lips last season when Stewart was on his torrid stretch run, but then again I don't really listen to what you have to say anyway. Just an annoying wind-up toy who comes in here chirping any time the chips are down. Count yourself lucky that it's breaking this way so you can continue with your valuable contributions to this thread.

As for Charles, the Chiefs have had Maclin or Bowe throughout his entire career. Bowe was pretty bad the last couple years there, but still more of a threat than anything Carolina has at WR right now. I've never rated Maclin very highly at all, but (importantly) one thing that he brings is deep speed and downfield playmaking ability. That and the Conley pick suggest that the Chiefs recognize the value of stretching the defense so that their short-intermediate playmakers like Kelce and Charles can function. The Panthers have addressed the same need with Ted freakin' Ginn, a guy who has bounced around the league like a pinball because at the end of the day he's nothing but a 40 time.

Carolina has neglected the WR position for years, but at the same time they've always had one guy who could play (Muhammad --> Smith --> Benjamin). They have Olsen now and that's nice, but there's no element of danger on the perimeter whatsoever and I have a hard time believing that this doesn't negatively impact the rest of their offense.
LOL…Rather than insulting those of us who have been giving solid advice, why don't you just apologize for misleading people for the last decade.

FYI…Brown and Ginn have the speed to stretch the field. More importantly, Cam has the arm to stretch it. Personally I would place more importance on the QB than the WRs. Freaking James Jones gets gets cut by the Raiders and Giants and Rodgers makes him a top 20 WR. Also while Benjamin was looking like a good talent, let's not forget that he put the bulk of his stats during garbage time.

Yours Truly,

EBF Invitational Champion

Maybe after 8 years it's time to call a spade a spade and reflect on the notion that maybe this guy just hasn't hit one in a million horrible scenarios every year for 8 years running. Maybe he was just never quite as good as people thought and maybe now with 8 years of leg injuries behind him he's not even as good as he once was.

This year's excuse is the worst in a career full of excuses. The notion that good fantasy RBs must be accompanied by good passing attacks is a myth perpetuated by people trying to make themselves feel better about their dynasty RB. Most years the top 10 fantasy RB list and NFL rushing leaders lists are full of, if not heavy on RBs that come from teams with weak passing attacks.

Maybe someone should tell Carlos Hyde that he can't lead the NFL in rushing alongside a weak passing attack, because that's what he's doing. Maybe someone should tell the Redskins that they can't have two RBs in the top 10 of the NFL in rushing when their DeSean Jackson-less passing game consists of a bunch of scrubs and a career backup QB, because that's what they're doing. Like that of excuses for Jonathan Stewart every year, the list goes on.

This is a guy who still, 8 years deep into his career, has only once out-played his peers at RB in a season, with that peer being a 45 year old DeAngelo Williams. Granted, playing alongside DeAngelo for most of his career arguably makes that more difficult, but in the year that DeAngelo missed most of a season to injury I'll give anyone a virtual cookie that can pick out which stat line below was Stewart's, and which was the venerable Mike Goodson's...

873yds, 4.3ypa, 3 TD

762yds, 4.4ypa, 3 TD

None of this is to say that Stewart is bad, but rather that maybe he's not the transcendent talent that people once thought he was. Because transcendent talents like Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles and even Chris Johnson have made a career out of still being good even when the team around them blood boiling terrible. Heck, Ronnie Brown spent a half season as the #1 fantasy RB (prior to getting injured) with the very same Ted Ginn Jr as the team's biggest receiving threat, and with a much worse QB tossing him the ball than Cam Newton.

I think you have to say that Stewart has been pretty unlucky in his career.
To the contrary, maybe he's actually really lucky. He's a guy that got to start his career looking really good running behind the best run-blocking line the NFL has seen in a decade and was able to parlay those few years into a huge contract while taking a quarter of the hits to his body that most backs do.

But hey, at least we'll always have that "torrid" stretch from last year where he put together two really good fantasy games, the better of which came after a string of bad games meaning most people probably still had him on their bench for it.

Maybe someone should tell Carlos Hyde that he can't lead the NFL in rushing alongside a weak passing attack, because that's what he's doing. Maybe someone should tell the Redskins that they can't have two RBs in the top 10 of the NFL in rushing when their DeSean Jackson-less passing game consists of a bunch of scrubs and a career backup QB, because that's what they're doing. Like that of excuses for Jonathan Stewart every year, the list goes on.
I'd gladly take Torrey Smith/Anquan Boldin and Pierre Garcon/Andre Roberts over Carolina's WR group.

Cotchery was a 1,000 yard guy once 8 years ago before Stewart was even in the NFL, but otherwise Carolina's remaining WRs have accomplished virtually nothing in the NFL. It has to be one of the worst units in the league.

I'm not going to get pulled into another pointless argument about Stewart. Believe what ever you want about him. I don't care. Personally, I think he has always been very good when healthy. He came into the league in the same class as CJ2K/Forte/Rice/Charles and I think he could've had a similar FF career if he had been fortunate enough to land on a team with more opportunity. That's what I believe, but that didn't scenario happen and therefore we'll never know for sure how it would've played out. You can say he was lucky to hide behind DeAngelo and if that's the narrative that works for you then by all means run with it. Means zip to me.

Drafted him as my RB2 in a 16-teamer, but I think he has to ride the pine this week. Dion Lewis is burning a hole on my bench, and there's also Matt Jones and (if Lacy sits) Starks. Stewart will be better than he's been the first couple weeks, but he just seems to have little upside at this point.

I'd gladly take Torrey Smith/Anquan Boldin and Pierre Garcon/Andre Roberts over Carolina's WR group.

Cotchery was a 1,000 yard guy once 8 years ago before Stewart was even in the NFL, but otherwise Carolina's remaining WRs have accomplished virtually nothing in the NFL. It has to be one of the worst units in the league.
:shrug:

I think most people would take Cam/Olsen/Ginn over Cousins/Reed/Garcon. Or Frerotte/Berrian/Shiancoe. Or Vince Young/Nate Washington/Bo Scaife. Or Cassel/Bowe/Moeaki. Or Cleo Lemon/Ted Ginn/Justin Peelle. And on and on.

Point being, lots of RBs have done a LOT more with less than Cam/Olsen many times over. That is no excuse if Stewart is anywhere NEAR as good as he's been trumpeted to be.

:shrug:

I think most people would take Cam/Olsen/Ginn over Cousins/Reed/Garcon. Or Frerotte/Berrian/Shiancoe. Or Vince Young/Nate Washington/Bo Scaife. Or Cassel/Bowe/Moeaki. Or Cleo Lemon/Ted Ginn/Justin Peelle. And on and on.

Point being, lots of RBs have done a LOT more with less than Cam/Olsen many times over. That is no excuse if Stewart is anywhere NEAR as good as he's been trumpeted to be.
:clyde:

Rotoworld:

Jonathan Stewart (knee) is questionable for Week 3 against the Saints.
Stewart missed practice Wednesday but returned to get in limited sessions Thursday and Friday. Panthers beat writers have expressed no concern about Stewart's game-day status for Sunday. Expectations are he'll be out there. It's a good spot for Stewart against a leaky New Orleans defense. If for some reason he misses, Carolina would turn to rookie Cameron Artis-Payne.

Sep 25 - 12:40 PM

No way you can drop a starting RB in the NFL. He's just not that good despite all the hype.

Things should get better when the WR play improves.

Cam is on pace to slightly improve last year's passing numbers. The passing game isn't the problem. I've been a long time Stewart supporter, but he just didn't look very good yesterday. He doesn't seem as explosive as he once was. I find myself thinking, if they ran more downhill as opposed to the zone read stuff, he'd be better. I think the injuries have taken their toll and he isn't what he once was.

:lmao: at EBF talking about others being emotionally invested in Stewart.

Cam is on pace to slightly improve last year's passing numbers. The passing game isn't the problem. I've been a long time Stewart supporter, but he just didn't look very good yesterday. He doesn't seem as explosive as he once was. I find myself thinking, if they ran more downhill as opposed to the zone read stuff, he'd be better. I think the injuries have taken their toll and he isn't what he once was.
He was killing the zone read stuff last year. That isn't the problem. There were a few runs today where it was pretty clear he is banged up. I don't think its serious but he isn't 100%. He was a little maddening yesterday seemingly content to keep stretching plays wide instead of heading north and south.

He was killing the zone read stuff last year. That isn't the problem. There were a few runs today where it was pretty clear he is banged up. I don't think its serious but he isn't 100%. He was a little maddening yesterday seemingly content to keep stretching plays wide instead of heading north and south.
His fumble went north-south.

He's not a bad player but not very good in fantasy. Have him in three leagues and wish i had been smarter about him.

Users who are viewing this thread