What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Is Jonathan Stewart a buy low? (2 Viewers)

5 straight games with 20 or more carries.

Rolling with him this week with DWill on a bye.
Next 3 weeks vs bottom half run defenses. Since his bye week he has been pretty good.
We all want upside, but I usually like to have 1-2 guys who are very consistent. JStew has had a pretty good floor, and while I haven't used him much, he was a rock last week (overall down week for FF scoring.)

Great schedule coming up.

Last 6 weeks:

• 20-78-2, 1-8-0, 21.6
  • 24-125-2, 0-0-0, 12.5
  • 24-82-1, 1-1-0, 15.3
  • 20-66-0, 1-2-0, 7.8
  • 22-91-1, 0-0-0, 15.1
  • 21-102-0, 1-12-1, 18.4
131-544-4, 4-23-1, 90.7 (15.12)

Would so love to have Cam not be a statwhore and Tolbert there to vulture TDs. Stewart has been super solid. Imagaine if he were getting the goal line carries.

Would so love to have Cam not be a statwhore and Tolbert there to vulture TDs. Stewart has been super solid. Imagaine if he were getting the goal line carries.
Agreed! I almost want to pick up that jack wagon Tolbert cuz I can see 3 carries for 3 yards and 3 tds this week....;(

I'd be totally fine w/ him being GL vultured if he saw 4-5 pass targets/game. It's mystifying to me why he gets so little use in the passing game. I'd have thought he'd have more receptions purely by accident...

smoke monster said:
Anyone benching him this week due to the short week and high workload he's had recently?
One of the very few guys in the league who's guaranteed to get 20+ touches. Unless you're stacked at RB, got to keep rolling with him.

DAL is going to try and mask run defense inefficiency by playing keep away but it's a plus match-up in fantasy and real life regardless. I don't think you can sit a good RB guaranteed to see volume vs. that front.

smoke monster said:
smoke monster said:
Anyone benching him this week due to the short week and high workload he's had recently?
One of the very few guys in the league who's guaranteed to get 20+ touches. Unless you're stacked at RB, got to keep rolling with him.
Non PPR 10 team league where I went RB heavy so he's my flex, other options are Gore, Hillman, James Jones or Michael Floyd if he plays. None of them seem appealing either I guess I have to play Stewart. So hopefully they run him until the wheels fall off. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input guys I'm probably over thinking it.
He's much more valuable in a non-PPR because Carolina doesn't involve him in the passing game. The vultures (Cam & Tolbert) certainly drop his value, but when a guy is hot and getting the workload, ride him.

smoke monster said:
I am stacked and might start him again.

(Gurley @ CIN; DWill @ SEA)

Will probably Flex Gurley.

My opponent this week is currently the #4 seed. If I split my last two I'm virtually assured of the #1 seed. He's rolling with DMC and I kind of just want to see JStew can outscore him tomorrow.

IOW, no real logic, just emotion driving that decision. :D

smoke monster said:
He's much more valuable in a non-PPR because Carolina doesn't involve him in the passing game. The vultures (Cam & Tolbert) certainly drop his value, but when a guy is hot and getting the workload, ride him.
Definitely true about riding the hot hand. I had Stewart on the bench for his 2 TD Seattle game so maybe he breaks out a big game again when I least expect it.

100 yards 2 TD's :excited:
From your lips to God's ears! I'd love going into Sunday with those points. :)

smoke monster said:
Yup. I'll be starting Rawls. Like clockwork waivers provides Langford, West, Karlos, Lewis. Obviously I play ppr.

I'm at a loss why he's not getting more recpts. In his younger days he got some catches out of the backfield with fewer snaps. Just 4 recpts for 30 yes would make him a very good ff back.

Curious if others are viewing Tolbert a) as the handcuff here, and b) worth rostering.

I've got a roster spot being wasted on DGB and am debating the various b-list RB handcuffs (Tolbert and Turbin mainly).

Curious if others are viewing Tolbert a) as the handcuff here, and b) worth rostering.

I've got a roster spot being wasted on DGB and am debating the various b-list RB handcuffs (Tolbert and Turbin mainly).
No and no.

One could argue since Stewart is 26th in ppr on a ppg basis and Randle and McFadden are both ranked higher, that one should cut Stewart for Turbin. (Based on an assumption that you have average RBs in a 12 team ppr league and are trying to improve the position for the playoffs)

LOL - Just noticed lance Dunbar is ranked higher too.

SameSongNDance said:
DAL is going to try and mask run defense inefficiency by playing keep away but it's a plus match-up in fantasy and real life regardless. I don't think you can sit a good RB guaranteed to see volume vs. that front.
I'm starting Rawls, Doug Martin, and Yeldon and benching Dez, Stewart, and Ware. If I were to start any of those guys on my bench, it would be over Yeldon, but Yeldon is at home and playing the Chargers, who have arguably the worst run defense and one of the few worst overall defenses in the NFL, and IMO some of the Chargers team has quit on the season.

ETA: 10 team, non-PPR league, but we get 0.5 points per first down rushing/receiving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ended up not starting JStew (full PPR) but 7 straight games of 20 or more carries in today's NFL is impressive. Man he's got a juicy schedule ROS.

Ended up not starting JStew (full PPR) but 7 straight games of 20 or more carries in today's NFL is impressive. Man he's got a juicy schedule ROS.
Schedule or not, Cam is just too much of a TD vulture to ever feel good about playing Stewart. Cam now has 7 of the Panthes 12 rushing TDs, more than half. If Stewart was used more in the passing game it could make up for it, but he's only got 12 reception this year.

Schedule or not, Cam is just too much of a TD vulture to ever feel good about playing Stewart. Cam now has 7 of the Panthes 12 rushing TDs, more than half.If Stewart was used more in the passing game it could make up for it, but he's only got 12 reception this year.
Stewart has 5 TDs, more all than all but about a dozen RBs. You feel good about Hillman, Karlos & Jeremy? They lead their team in rushing TDs.

My suggestion was he's a solid RB2/Flex. Not saying he's going to carry teams. He came into the week 2nd in Attempts and 5th in Yards, but most people overlook him ("because targets...because GL vultures") even though he's got a pretty high floor and ultra consistent. He was cheap pickup for me, nothing more than RB3 but I'd be fine starting him should injuries hit.

Not sexy but sometimes it's nice to mix in a steady eddie player with your boom/bust what the heck plays.

Schedule or not, Cam is just too much of a TD vulture to ever feel good about playing Stewart. Cam now has 7 of the Panthes 12 rushing TDs, more than half.If Stewart was used more in the passing game it could make up for it, but he's only got 12 reception this year.
Stewart has 5 TDs, more all than all but about a dozen RBs. You feel good about Hillman, Karlos & Jeremy? They lead their team in rushing TDs.

My suggestion was he's a solid RB2/Flex. Not saying he's going to carry teams. He came into the week 2nd in Attempts and 5th in Yards, but most people overlook him ("because targets...because GL vultures") even though he's got a pretty high floor and ultra consistent. He was cheap pickup for me, nothing more than RB3 but I'd be fine starting him should injuries hit.

Not sexy but sometimes it's nice to mix in a steady eddie player with your boom/bust what the heck plays.
I think the frustration lies with how well Stewart has been running all year, but Newton takes all the touchdowns because he's on a MVP campaign.

I think the frustration lies with how well Stewart has been running all year, but Newton takes all the touchdowns because he's on a MVP campaign.
I get that he's a big SOB but I'm a bit surprised the coaches don't tell him to cool it with taking so many hard shots at the GL. JStew goes down its next man up. Cam goes down they're completely ####ed.

Even if Newton get dinged their f'd. Once you dont fear his mobility the whole defensive gameplan changes and history suggests he isnt going to be a high end pocket passer.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4650/jonathan-stewart

Panthers coach Ron Rivera does not expect Jonathan Stewart (foot) to play Sunday against the Giants.

Stewart missed practice with a sprained foot on Wednesday and it doesn't look like he'll be ready in time for Sunday.

There's no obvious replacement on Carolina's roster as the Panthers will likely use a committee featuring Fozzy Whittaker and Mike Tolbert. Though the Panthers are trying to stay undefeated and having Stewart in the lineup would help that cause, getting J-Stew healthy for the playoffs is what's important right now. Dec 16 - 2:17 PM
It somehow figures that for those owners who have patiently held Stewart all these years and are still alive in the playoffs, now find him unavailable in Week 15 (and maybe 16) when we really need him.

Now there has been an epidemic of RB injuries this season, so a lot of other people are in the same boat - but the bottom line is that once again it looks like it is back to the usual refrain "Wait until next year!"

Even if Newton get dinged their f'd. Once you dont fear his mobility the whole defensive gameplan changes and history suggests he isnt going to be a high end pocket passer.
History? He already is a high end pocket passer. Seems weird to have to even say so. Very impressed by his red zone passing.

what is his (2016 rookie pick) value in PPR?
2.06 to 2.12 and at this point I would only pay 2.08 in the one draft I got left - and I am not sure I would pay that (would prefer to wait until I am on the clock and see who else is available).

To quote BassNBrew, this player has been a roster anchor (more like a roster debacle) for what seems like a decade.

And those who patiently held him for years hoping for a payoff saw him crap out from injury and be unavailable in Week 15 and 16 of the playoffs last year when we really needed him.

Not a player I am looking to acquire and hoping to trade him in the two leagues I do own him.

Jonathan Stewart is always going to be a buy low candidate. The question remains whether he will give a high yield return.

He seem brittle. So taking him in the second half of the second round seems a bit risky, doesn't it?

squistion said:
2.06 to 2.12 and at this point I would only pay 2.08 in the one draft I got left - and I am not sure I would pay that (would prefer to wait until I am on the clock and see who else is available).

To quote BassNBrew, this player has been a roster anchor (more like a roster debacle) for what seems like a decade.

And those who patiently held him for years hoping for a payoff saw him crap out from injury and be unavailable in Week 15 and 16 of the playoffs last year when we really needed him.

Not a player I am looking to acquire and hoping to trade him in the two leagues I do own him.
Thanks for the reply. Actually trying to trade him and want to make a fair offer.

Jonathan Stewart is always going to be a buy low candidate. The question remains whether he will give a high yield return.

He seem brittle. So taking him in the second half of the second round seems a bit risky, doesn't it?
Riskier than what? Braxton Miller or Pharoh Cooper?

Depends on your team needs and who is still available at the time your pick is on the clock. If Malcolm Mitchell was still on the board I would take him not trade for Stewart.

On the other hand, if you are in a start two RB league and you only have one other viable weekly starter, then Stewart is probably worth taking a second round flyer.

If want to argue an third round pick is a more realistic value, OK, but most of his owners would probably hold him rather then sell for that price, since traditionally most third round picks don't pan out.

Ended up trading hm for Jordan Hicks + a 4th in one league where good LB score as much as good RB and a 3.14 + 5.07 in another.

Put him out there as trade bait and got very few offers (16 team PPR, IDP)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stewart (hamstring) is anticipated to miss "at least a week or two", according to coach Ron Rivera, The Associated Press reports. Stewart sustained a hamstring injury that forced him out early in Sunday's game against the 49ers. Although the veteran is having an MRI on Monday and those results have yet to be released, coach Rivera already deemed it likely he'll miss at least this Sunday's game against the Vikings. While Stewart's prognosis should be clarified relatively soon, it appears Fozzy Whittaker and Cameron Artis-Payne are in line to lead the Panthers' backfield in the near future.

glad I traded him this off-season in the 2 dynasty league I had him in.

One league traded him for Jordan Hicks (not looking great so far)

second one I traded him for picks that turned into De'vondre Campbell and Tyrell Williams

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Jonathan Stewart (hamstring) is "heading in the right direction."
Stewart didn't practice Thursday and probably won't play this week, but it appears he's taken a few steps forward in his recovery. He's been rehabbing on an underwater treadmill and has also done some sled-pulling. Cameron Artis-Payne and Fozzy Whittaker have shared the backfield in his absence. Neither have been appealing fantasy options.

Source: Joe Person on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread