What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Wales with a big win today, 3-0 at Israel, giving Israel their first loss in wualifying. Bale scored twice. The win puts Wales top of the group but they have played one more than both Belgium and Israel.

Two stoppage time winners tonight in MLS.

Pontius hit a semi diving header in the 94th minute to give DC the win over LA.

And since it is impossible to articulate how poor the defending was by Portland on Vancouver's winner, here is the video clip

http://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2015-03-28-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-vs-portland-timbers/details/video/34949
lol.. especially considering the fantastic buildup by portland in the highlight a minute before this goal. shocking.

Two stoppage time winners tonight in MLS.

Pontius hit a semi diving header in the 94th minute to give DC the win over LA.

And since it is impossible to articulate how poor the defending was by Portland on Vancouver's winner, here is the video cliphttp://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2015-03-28-vancouver-whitecaps-fc-vs-portland-timbers/details/video/34949
lol.. especially considering the fantastic buildup by portland in the highlight a minute before this goal. shocking.
"You got it"

"No you got it"

"Oh ####"

"Man, people just cannot get enough of the Chicago Fire. This team needs to be on TV every week."

- MLS scheduling department, apparently

What is this BS?

I have UVerse and apparently I get darts on FS1 and not MLS. Ugh.

Guess I can watch en espanol via Fox Sports Deportes. Que Suerte.

What is this BS?

That is so odd. FS1 is a national station, I thought they only had one schedule...Obviously not

Did you actually tune into FS1 to make sure it was just not a mistake in the channel guide?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this BS?

That is so odd. FS1 is a national station, I thought they only had one schedule...Obviously not

Did you actually tune into FS1 to make sure it was just not a mistake in the channel guide?
There was a message from FS1 on the broadcast of Darts. I dont get it either.

Poke_4_Life said:
NewlyRetired said:
Poke_4_Life said:
What is this BS?

Ok I found out the issue for you from someone on BS.

Uverse is having a contract dispute with Fox Sports. Fox Sports is asking for more money to pay for the rights to events they have acquired since they made their original deal with Uverse. Uverse is retaliating by not showing those events on FS1 or FS2. MLS soccer games are included. The USA-Switzerland game on Tuesday will also be affected. All channels have alternate programming that the provider can show instead of a particular event. Uverse is showing the alternate programming.

It is ironic that RSL has never had a home game ever on Sunday because they were afraid of attendance issues.

They had there very first Sunday home game ever tonight and broke the stadium record for highest attendance.

Poke_4_Life said:
NewlyRetired said:
Poke_4_Life said:
What is this BS?

Ok I found out the issue for you from someone on BS.

Uverse is having a contract dispute with Fox Sports. Fox Sports is asking for more money to pay for the rights to events they have acquired since they made their original deal with Uverse. Uverse is retaliating by not showing those events on FS1 or FS2. MLS soccer games are included. The USA-Switzerland game on Tuesday will also be affected. All channels have alternate programming that the provider can show instead of a particular event. Uverse is showing the alternate programming.
That's the kind of info I love.

Actually your next post is also right up my alley. Crazy world...

Nobody noted the Fighting Rocks got their first international goal against Scotland this weekend?

They lost 6-1 of course, with Scotland employing a 1-6-3 formation.

-QG

It is ironic that RSL has never had a home game ever on Sunday because they were afraid of attendance issues.

They had there very first Sunday home game ever tonight and broke the stadium record for highest attendance.
Serious question. LDS dont play sports on Sundays. Do they attend sporting events on Sundays? I remember they dont participate because a teammate of mine in high school always missed Sunday club games.

Poke_4_Life said:
NewlyRetired said:
Poke_4_Life said:
What is this BS?

Ok I found out the issue for you from someone on BS. Uverse is having a contract dispute with Fox Sports. Fox Sports is asking for more money to pay for the rights to events they have acquired since they made their original deal with Uverse. Uverse is retaliating by not showing those events on FS1 or FS2. MLS soccer games are included. The USA-Switzerland game on Tuesday will also be affected. All channels have alternate programming that the provider can show instead of a particular event. Uverse is showing the alternate programming.
Uverse is getting a call today. I tried to call yesterday bit the office was closed.

NewlyRetired said:
This is from yesterdays Portland game. The second move was clearly on purpose but I can't figure out if the first move was incredibly clever or a mistake

http://giant.gfycat.com/BriefMerryBrocketdeer.gif
if it was a mistake, he had his body ready for it... so an incredibly clever mistake.

that was part of the play that I talked about upthread- it deserved a goal in the last minute. certainly more than "you got it... no YOU got it" defending by Portland a minute later that gave up the game winner.

I only saw the second half and had mixed feelings about it: great atmosphere (which is half the fun as a viewer IMO) and a decent ending... but, man, that was ugly soccer to watch, right? The only "pretty" play I saw in ~40 minutes was the 2nd RSL goal.

P.S. Devo Sandoval is my new second favorite MLS player - great hair

That was probably the least objectionable mistake Fed Ex field staff made. All reports are that they came this close to our own Hillsborough.
Details?

Like Goff not pulling any punches about the Fed Ex-perience
Here is Goff's article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2015/03/29/disappointment-at-fedex-field-drama-at-rfk-stadium/

The somewhat underreported aspect of the Barca sanctions, in addition to the ban on registering new players, is that the subject youth players can't play in competitive matches until they turn 18. For Ben Lederman, this means he still gets the awesome experience of training with La Masia, but can't play in competitive games until May of 2018. So his family gave up their lives in California to further his youth career, and now must be feeling pretty bad about their decision. For some youth players, its no longer worth it - Takefusa Kubo, who has been with La Masia since 2011 when he was 13, is leaving to go back to Japan.

Thanks UEFA for protecting these youth players!

A few weeks ago we talked about MLS signing a deal with Sky Sports in England. These two new deals just came out in the last few days. Looks like IMG is working their contacts well.

Major League Soccer announced Friday that it has partnered with Brazilian broadcaster Globosat, Latin Americas biggest pay-TV operator, to televise league matches live in Brazil. A four-year deal has been agreed, marking the first time the Rio de Janeiro-based cable and satellite provider will have MLS broadcast rights.
NEW YORK (Monday, March 30, 2015) Major League Soccer (MLS) announced today that it has partnered with Abu Dhabi Sports Channel, owned by Abu Dhabi Media Company, to televise league matches live across the Middle East and North Africa, reaching 25 countries throughout the region. This marks the first time MLS matches will be telecast on Abu Dhabi Sports Channels

The somewhat underreported aspect of the Barca sanctions, in addition to the ban on registering new players, is that the subject youth players can't play in competitive matches until they turn 18. For Ben Lederman, this means he still gets the awesome experience of training with La Masia, but can't play in competitive games until May of 2018. So his family gave up their lives in California to further his youth career, and now must be feeling pretty bad about their decision. For some youth players, its no longer worth it - Takefusa Kubo, who has been with La Masia since 2011 when he was 13, is leaving to go back to Japan.

Thanks UEFA for protecting these youth players!
These poor kids have been slaving away doing tiki-taka drills for years in grungy underground mines, under the threat of physical violence, I'm sure. Can't wait to see the Unbreakable Ben Lederman on Netflix.

Looks like the media might have jumped the gun on the Xavi to Qatar rumors, at least for now.

===============================

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mls-more-likely-destination-xavi-denies-imminent-al-072816110--spt.html

Barcelona midfielder xavi has played down suggestions that he is set to sign a contract with Qatar Stars League club Al Sadd.

The former Spain international spent four days of the international window in Qatar, with Al Sadd president Mohammad Al Ali claiming they were confident of luring the 35-year-old away from the Camp Nou side.

However, upon his return to Spain, Xavi insisted he had only visited the Gulf nation for a family holiday.

“It was just a visit, nothing more, just a visit,” the midfielder was quoted as saying by AS.

Xavi is widely expected to leave his boyhood club at the end of the season, bringing to an end a 24-year association with Barcelona that started in the club’s academy La Masia, with the MLS and Stars League considered the two most likely destinations.

But although a number of reports suggest Xavi will sign a three-year deal with Al Sadd – a former club of ex-Real Madrid striker Raul – the Barcelona captain denied any agreement.

“When I have some news, I’ll let you know…,” he added.

Xavi has also been linked with New York City in MLS, where he would join ex-Barcelona team-mate David Villa.

Time for Heineken to step up. The world needs a major sports league with a beer company in the title. Plus I want to sit down and watch "Heiney ball" on Saturday mornings.

The Cape Verde Islands continue the most impressive improvement arguably in FIFA's history.

They were ranked 182 in 2000

They were ranked 117 in 2010

They are sitting at 37 right now and should move up if they hold on to beating Portugal (up 2-0 very late) in Portugal today.

Users who are viewing this thread