What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 STOCK CONTEST (1 Viewer)

I'm picking BOC.

I have no idea what it is, but I think picking three random letters is good shtick. I'm hoping it's the Baltimore Opera Hat Company.

EDIT: apparently there is no BOC so I'm going with MOC...some security company that I really think is an up and comer. :moneybag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I suck at formatting. I have all the data in a spreadsheet. Can someone tell how to copy/paste so it's formatted right?

It was always hit or miss for me. I think it held formatting better when I turned off the little square on top left that grays out the formatting options.

SHORT: ATOC

Atomic Paintball Inc.

Never had any revenues...ever...tons of debt. Recently flirted with Chapter 7.

Company started to own an operate paintball facilities, has now decided to make a very minor tweak to business plan...

"... Therefore, beginning today, the company is going to pursue opportunities in the digital out- of- home media and mobile media markets...Atomic with its technology partners, hopes to provide the advertising community with the opportunity to reach consumers when and where they are most likely to respond to their message. The advertising game is changing and Atomic plans to be at the forefront of this new world of digital marketing/advertising".

Ummm...what? In other news Ford is considering ditching the whole automobile thing and get into sheep herding in eastern Asia. Its really almost the same thing when you think about it.

And the stock is trading at near an all time high?

Bonfire and GM - your securities don't trade very often. I think the plan would be to use latest price for both start and endings prices.

Andrew74 said:
Bonfire and GM - your securities don't trade very often. I think the plan would be to use latest price for both start and endings prices.
That's fine w/me, if too difficult let me know and I will pick something else. Thanks for taking the time to run this-

Andrew - why not create a google docs spreadsheet with the formula:

=googlefinance(BLine)

Where B= the line where the ticker of the stock is listed

So if AAPL was on line B4 of the spreadsheet...

=googlefinance(B4)

would give a RT quote of AAPL

You could then just link that spreadsheet on your first post, and everyone would know where they stand at all times.

Andrew - why not create a google docs spreadsheet with the formula:

=googlefinance(BLine)

Where B= the line where the ticker of the stock is listed

So if AAPL was on line B4 of the spreadsheet...

=googlefinance(B4)

would give a RT quote of AAPL

You could then just link that spreadsheet on your first post, and everyone would know where they stand at all times.
I had actually created a spreadsheet linked to Bloomberg and hoped I could link everyone to that but it didn't work once I put it online. Thanks for the formula for Google Finance. That should be a quick change in the current spreadsheet and I'll get that linked soon (hopefully tomorrow).

Okay, I got a Google Sheets up with the picks - link is in the first post. Please take a look to make sure I got the right ticker, position (long/short) and S&P prediction for you. I'll get the spreadsheet updated this weekend so it shows real-time price changes.

Alright buddy boy. We are back in business with AMPE. <hifivescharliesheen> S&P 2323

CLR

Continental Resources Inc - reasons coming soon.

S&P December 31st 2015 = 2200

Every year I think about putting g 1000 into each pick for the year. I think it would be positive in all years we've done this.

ETFs okay IF NOT LEVERAGED
As a general note anyone stupid enough to choose a leveraged ETF over a year period deserves the last place he will get. The cost of that leverage eats at the value of these issues day after day - they constantly decline.

Every year I think about putting g 1000 into each pick for the year. I think it would be positive in all years we've done this.
Not sure how it would have worked out cumulatively, but 2013 was +19% avg gain and 2014 was -7%. Lagged S&P for both years and lacks diversification.

So nobody went with the schtick and went long or short on ISIS eh?

I know Cramer is on the record as supporting and endorsing ISIS. no surprise there I guess.

-QG

I have not followed ISIS, but know someone who has done great with it.

Looks like a rebound in energy prices is a popular contest theme. That was my other choice, via GBX.

ETFs okay IF NOT LEVERAGED
As a general note anyone stupid enough to choose a leveraged ETF over a year period deserves the last place he will get. The cost of that leverage eats at the value of these issues day after day - they constantly decline.
If you just shorted VIX for the last 2.5 years you would be a rolling in gobbles and gobbles of cash. Probably the easiest money you can ever make. Insane.

FWIW ISIS close at 72.26 on 1/9/15

Figure I'll throw this here for when it does better than my real pick.

-QG

Woulda been kinda to fun to have the real time tracking last year so I could watch my pick get destroyed in real time :)

-QG

I'll go with:

SWKS (Skyworks Solutions)

S&P: 2015

I've been in SWKS since about $27 and it just keeps going up (knock on wood). I think this was suggested in a previous year's stock contest so thank you for whoever posted it originally.
That was me. You're welcome. Good luck!
FWIW, Morningstar thinks SWKS is overvalued for 2015. Just their opinion....like everyone else; they get things wrong all the time.

http://www.morningstar.com/cover/videocenter.aspx?id=679821&l

Users who are viewing this thread