What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

San Francisco 49ers 2013 thread (SEE NEW 2014 THREAD) (3 Viewers)

efactor said:
flysack said:
What do you guys think the trading for Martin says vis a vis the so-called power struggle in SF between Harbaugh and the front office?

Seems like this was a Harbaugh move all the way, no?
Well, he knows Martin from Stanford days. He was a 2nd rounder just two years ago and they got him for virtually nothing and every NFL can use OL depth. Seems like a solid move. Isn't that the kind of input a coach should have? Harbaugh doesn't have the authority to make a deal happen by himself, so there must have been some kind of mutual agreement. Hardly a power struggle.
Harbaugh pretty much made the deal himself for Boldin, which turned out better than what Baalke could ever pull off.

A couple of Dolphin fan friends of mine are gloating about the fact that Miami unloaded Martin to SF and actually got something for him. I just lol at them...I'll take a 2nd round pick for a conditional 7th rounder any day of the week. Plus, we only owe the pick if he makes the opening day roster...so basically they gave away a 2nd round talent with the possibility of getting nada in return. Sometimes all a player needs is a change of scenery. I have no idea why they hate him so much, and I don't care. Harbaugh is familiar with him and knows if he could be a good fit for depth.

A couple of Dolphin fan friends of mine are gloating about the fact that Miami unloaded Martin to SF and actually got something for him. I just lol at them...I'll take a 2nd round pick for a conditional 7th rounder any day of the week. Plus, we only owe the pick if he makes the opening day roster...so basically they gave away a 2nd round talent with the possibility of getting nada in return. Sometimes all a player needs is a change of scenery. I have no idea why they hate him so much, and I don't care. Harbaugh is familiar with him and knows if he could be a good fit for depth.
Worst case for the 49ers, they spent zero. Best case for the 49ers, they got 2nd round talent for a 7th round pick.

Best case for the Dolphins, they picked up another 7th round pick. Worst case, they realize they lost a good player because they have dysfunctional culture.

They can gloat all they want.

Worst case for the 49ers, they spent zero. Best case for the 49ers, they got 2nd round talent for a 7th round pick.

Best case for the Dolphins, they picked up another 7th round pick. Worst case, they realize they lost a good player because they have dysfunctional culture.

Just because he went in the 2nd round doesn't mean he's not Chilo Rachal either.

Worst case for the 49ers, they spent zero. Best case for the 49ers, they got 2nd round talent for a 7th round pick.Best case for the Dolphins, they picked up another 7th round pick. Worst case, they realize they lost a good player because they have dysfunctional culture.

Just because he went in the 2nd round doesn't mean he's not Chilo Rachal either.
Of course...but the fact is he has enough talent to be drafted that early, and the guy who coached him in college now has him as a player in the pros. I'm sure Jimbo knows the kid better than anyone in the Dolphins organization, and there's nothing wrong with taking a flier on him for a 7th round pick. Almost zero risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst case for the 49ers, they spent zero. Best case for the 49ers, they got 2nd round talent for a 7th round pick.Best case for the Dolphins, they picked up another 7th round pick. Worst case, they realize they lost a good player because they have dysfunctional culture.

Of course...but the fact is he has enough talent to be drafted that early, and the guy who coached him in college now has him as a player in the pros. I'm sure Jimbo knows the kid better than anyone in the Dolphins organization, and there's nothing wrong with taking a flier on him for a 7th round pick. Almost zero risk.
Harbaugh hasn't had him in the Pro's, and by all accounts that's where Martin's issues lie, being in the NFL.

Harbaugh hasn't had him in the Pro's, and by all accounts that's where Martin's issues lie, being in the NFL.
I think his issues lie more with the organization he was in, rather than the league he's in. The Philbin regime doesn't strike me as one that really knows what they're doing or how to handle in house issues. I'm not saying Martin was a good addition, just that if anyone can get something out of him, I think Harbaugh probably can...and if not, no big deal.

I think his issues lie more with the organization he was in, rather than the league he's in. The Philbin regime doesn't strike me as one that really knows what they're doing or how to handle in house issues. I'm not saying Martin was a good addition, just that if anyone can get something out of him, I think Harbaugh probably can...and if not, no big deal.
It's not like the 49ers have not had issues off the field (see: multiple DUI's and drunkeness) either. The 49ers just know how to sweep them under the rug better.

Well, until now with all the front office news.

By all means it's worth kicking the tires on Martin, but it's not like Harbaugh can make every player out there even serviceable (see: many a WR, Brandon Jacobs, etc.). A career resurgence for Martin is being serviceable. He wasn't that in MIA. He was more a PITA that couldn't handle the locker room. You quit on a team, you quit period, and even worse you did it publicly. Sure he may or may not had legitimate reason to, but it isn't like a few of the 49er players would be suspect of him either because he did.

So just out of curiosity - who on the 9ers Oline depth chart is Martin supposed to beat out?
Mike Iupati is up for a big contract, but no way IMO that he can beat him out. That's if they try him out at guard. I don't think he can player better than any of the starters at T either. He's camp fodder if anything else. He may know Roman's system better, but not more than anyone else already on the team. It still doesn't mean they burn a draft pick on the o-line again this year.

In all fairness, Martin showed skill while on the field. Rachal never did. Always looked like a POS

So just out of curiosity - who on the 9ers Oline depth chart is Martin supposed to beat out?
Mike Iupati is up for a big contract, but no way IMO that he can beat him out. That's if they try him out at guard. I don't think he can player better than any of the starters at T either. He's camp fodder if anything else. He may know Roman's system better, but not more than anyone else already on the team. It still doesn't mean they burn a draft pick on the o-line again this year.
Kilgore's resigning was very cap friendly; I could see a situation where an interior lineman is brought in to challenge at C with the ability to start at any inside spot in time.

In all fairness, Martin showed skill while on the field. Rachal never did. Always looked like a POS
Rachal also played in Mike Martz's and Jimmy Raye's offenses, with whoever at QB. Not to make excuses for him, but just in all fairness.

Rachal also played in Mike Martz's and Jimmy Raye's offenses, with whoever at QB. Not to make excuses for him, but just in all fairness.
You know better. Chilo was a POS i any offense :lol:

You know better. Chilo was a POS i any offense :lol:
I know Rachal has played more snaps and starts than Martin.

BTW, I don't want to bother peeking around the internet for the justification of the Gabbert signing. But if anybody has anything worthwhile to laugh at, I would appreciate it.

Julian edelman would be a perfect fit for this team and i cant imagine the money will be too much. Get it done fellas!

drummer said:
BTW, I don't want to bother peeking around the internet for the justification of the Gabbert signing. But if anybody has anything worthwhile to laugh at, I would appreciate it.
It hasn't been reported anywhere officially but my guess is that post Seattle playoff loss, Harbaugh saw how down the defense was. He wanted to rebuild their confidence during OTA's this season. Looking across the room, he saw Colt McCoy talking to someone and was like, nope, not terrible enough. Let's go get Gabbert.

drummer said:
It hasn't been reported anywhere officially but my guess is that post Seattle playoff loss, Harbaugh saw how down the defense was. He wanted to rebuild their confidence during OTA's this season. Looking across the room, he saw Colt McCoy talking to someone and was like, nope, not terrible enough. Let's go get Gabbert.
:moneybag:

drummer said:
Harbaughs ego is the only reason I can think of. He sees Gabbert as a former 1st round QB and probably thinks he can make him a serviceable backup. :shrug:

I think it'd be hilarious if the Niners signed Steve Smith for the slot. Between him and Boldin, how many fights would the Niners wrs get into a game? 5?

I think it'd be hilarious if the Niners signed Steve Smith for the slot. Between him and Boldin, how many fights would the Niners wrs get into a game? 5?
Probably not going to happen, as the 9ers are starting to bump up against the cap, but I think this would be a smart move for them. The Seattle defense doesn't struggle in many places, but small, quick, fast WR have been an issue at times. There are other teams to worry about, but imo SEA and SF should be primarily concerned with being able to beat each other.

Kilgore's resigning was very cap friendly; I could see a situation where an interior lineman is brought in to challenge at C with the ability to start at any inside spot in time.
Martin will beat out Snyder at the swing tackle position.

drummer said:
Harbaughs ego is the only reason I can think of. He sees Gabbert as a former 1st round QB and probably thinks he can make him a serviceable backup. :shrug:
Probably the case. A late 6th to bring him in for a look doesn't have much downside. Know he has sucked but the situation in Jacksonville wasn't great. No big loss if it doesn't work out.

Plus, Rachal cost SF a 2nd round pick. Martin a 7th if he makes the team and nothing if he doesn't. Not a bad risk to take.............

Signed Chris Cook. Brown signed 1 yr 3.5 mil in Oakland. Can't believe we couldn't keep him at that price, and went with another reclamation project in Cook.

Looks like the 49ers are just scraping the scrap heap. BUT THERE IS NO RISK RIGHT?
What are the odds that all of Gabbert, Martin or Cook dont even make the team?
I don't think anyone really cares really. They have the draft to bring in more talent, but then again Baalke has crapped the bed there too.
You really have some Baalke hate brewing in you.

He has been in charge of 4 drafts.

2010 netted Davis, Iupati, Bowman and Dixon. Wiffed on Taylor Mays

2011 netted Smith, Kaep, Culliver, Hunter, Kilgore and Miller

2012 was a total wiff

2013 is incomplete but has a ton of potential. Reid had an excellent rookie year. They knew Carridine was a 2013 stash. Lemonier looks like he can be an excellent pass rusher. Lattimore could be Gores replacement in 2015 and Patton will get a chance to be the #3 WR. Dial looks solid. McDonald is the only high pick that you can say had an opportunity and didn't take advantage of it, but who know's moving forward?

One bad draft out of 4. Look through the 80s drafts with Walsh calling the shots. 82 got Bubba Paris who was marginal and zip. 87 got Harris Barton who was very solid and zip. 85 got the great Jerry Rice but absolutely nothing else. Walsh also wiffed on #1s Earl Cooper, Todd Shell and Terrance Flagler. After Walsh left, I don't think you do worse than the 89-90 drafts.

Not defending Baalke on the other issues in the front office, but to beat him up for one bad draft given the teams history of horrible drafts is pretty harsh.

Anthony Dixon signing with Bills Saturday.
It was a good run.
Yeah, I think I remember it. I can't think two good runs by him though.I'm not broken up about his departure.
Yeah, his 2.8 career YPC should go over well in BUF behind Jackson and Spiller.See ya.
I liked Dixon as he was a pretty tough guy and decent specials teams player, but as part of the offense, won't be missed............

Signed Chris Cook. Brown signed 1 yr 3.5 mil in Oakland. Can't believe we couldn't keep him at that price, and went with another reclamation project in Cook.
Surprised by Browns departure too. Wonder if they are looking to trade up with the extra 2nd they have and grab one of the top CBs.

Looks like the 49ers are just scraping the scrap heap. BUT THERE IS NO RISK RIGHT?
I don't think anyone really cares really. They have the draft to bring in more talent, but then again Baalke has crapped the bed there too.

2012 was a total wiff

2013 is incomplete but has a ton of potential. Reid had an excellent rookie year. They knew Carridine was a 2013 stash. Lemonier looks like he can be an excellent pass rusher. Lattimore could be Gores replacement in 2015 and Patton will get a chance to be the #3 WR. Dial looks solid. McDonald is the only high pick that you can say had an opportunity and didn't take advantage of it, but who know's moving forward?

One bad draft out of 4. Look through the 80s drafts with Walsh calling the shots. 82 got Bubba Paris who was marginal and zip. 87 got Harris Barton who was very solid and zip. 85 got the great Jerry Rice but absolutely nothing else. Walsh also wiffed on #1s Earl Cooper, Todd Shell and Terrance Flagler. After Walsh left, I don't think you do worse than the 89-90 drafts.

Not defending Baalke on the other issues in the front office, but to beat him up for one bad draft given the teams history of horrible drafts is pretty harsh.
The 2010 draft was more Singletary than Baalke. Singletary had more juice in his contract than interim GM in Baalke, who was working more off of Scot McGlouhan's draft board. You think Baalke is responsible for Mays? Singletary overruled Baalke for Mays over Jimmy Clausen. You should know this.

We've been over the past 3 drafts since. Aldon Smith - nice pick but even you had to admit his personal issues (which you thought never would happen again, but did) has put him in jeopardy with the team, with even so much as one more slip and he is pretty much a goner. Hunter - we've talked many a times where he is blown up behind the LOS and is pretty much a "meh" RB. Culliver is hurt, and Miller is a nice find, only because he had to do more in the offense due to Baalke not being able to find any WR to contribute this season.

Like Madden said, you can replace the suit instead of a HC like Harbaugh. So far, if there was a choice: Harbaugh, and there are enough posts in thread as why.

You know someone is reaching for excuses with Baalke when they try to compare his drafts to Walsh's . How many HOF players is Baalke responsible for? TIA.

ETA: Louie Delmas has been cut a few times too. I can't believe you actually defended that one.

It was a good run.
Yeah, I think I remember it. I can't think two good runs by him though.I'm not broken up about his departure.
Yeah, his 2.8 career YPC should go over well in BUF behind Jackson and Spiller.See ya.
I liked Dixon as he was a pretty tough guy and decent specials teams player, but as part of the offense, won't be missed............
Except at the goal line where he had an impact on jumbo packages.

ETA: you just posted how he was a great pick by Baalke BTW.

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) tweeted at 5:09 PM on Sun, Mar 16, 2014:

Former Giants WR Mario Manningham is scheduled to meet former team in NJ on Monday, per source. Manningham highly interested in returning.

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) tweeted at 5:09 PM on Sun, Mar 16, 2014:

Former Giants WR Mario Manningham is scheduled to meet former team in NJ on Monday, per source. Manningham highly interested in returning.
His SF numbers: 16 games total, 13 games started, 51 receptions for 534 yards, 1TD. Oh and three rushing attempts for 64 yards.

:missing:

Mannigham's SF career made me peek at a few offensive as well as the players numbers since the arrival of Harbaugh. I'm gonna start first with Frank Gore. Of course Gore's best season was under Norv Turner and his offense. He was a total stud then. Even today, without Gore the 49er offense is upside down and topsy turvy. I've seen a lot of 49er football, and Frank Gore is one of my all time favorite 49er players ever.

2011 Frank Gore: New offense, supposedly geared for the run after many a talent acquisition since signing Larry Allen in 2006 to plow his way through Gore's way through Turner's offense.

15 starts, 16 games, 4.3 Y/A, 1211 yards 8 rushing TD's, 203 ATPs, 17 receptions for 133, zero TD's.

Funny thing about these stats within the offense, his reception numbers just basically died in 2011. Seriously, he was averaging almost 400 yards a season in yardage received before 2011. The backup RB's or "change of pace" RBs like Kendall Hunter had less if any impact throughout the course of the season. It's in the numbers. Gore was the most effective weapon on offense in 2011. If your QB takes 44 sacks while only tossing 17 Tds for 3000 yards with a defense that is 2nd in PA, it just shows how much more Gore can adapt to all the offenses thrown at him despite the OC and QB.

For those who believe Marcus Lattimore can replace Gore in any number is smoking some good ####. Seriously, it's total eFactor smoke laced with Matt Maiocco. Seriously, just look up the numbers of any RB numbers outside of Frank Gore during the time of Frank Gore, and they fall faster than the natural selection of the NFL.

I don't feel the need to pick on one poster, but the reason I love Bay Area press Homers is due to they reading too much of the Bay Area press. They don't know how to use numbers, and neither does those who read them. These numbers aren't predictive, unless you try to understand how they are compiled. I like simple numbers because they are simple numbers. How much more numbers do you need?

I'm gonna look at Gore and the offense in 2012 later this week. But for now, I want to talk about Gore in year one of Harbaugh. This is open to everybody, and it's key to the 49er offense going forward.

Let's talk about Frank Gore.

Vernon Davis is also on tap later this week. Does anybody wonder how Davis has only two Pro Bowl seasons: in 2009, and now in 2013?

Rumor is the 49ers may be interested in trading for DeSean Jackson from the Eagles. I hope they arent being serious, he would cost wayyyy too much. Now, if he came cheap, Id say hell yes, but no way thats the case.

It was a good run.
Except at the goal line where he had an impact on jumbo packages.

ETA: you just posted how he was a great pick by Baalke BTW.
Where did I say he was a "great" pick? I just pointed him out as someone who was a productive pick from the 2011 draft. 6th rounder who made the team and contributed.

2012 was a total wiff

The 2010 draft was more Singletary than Baalke. Singletary had more juice in his contract than interim GM in Baalke, who was working more off of Scot McGlouhan's draft board. You think Baalke is responsible for Mays? Singletary overruled Baalke for Mays over Jimmy Clausen. You should know this.

We've been over the past 3 drafts since. Aldon Smith - nice pick but even you had to admit his personal issues (which you thought never would happen again, but did) has put him in jeopardy with the team, with even so much as one more slip and he is pretty much a goner. Hunter - we've talked many a times where he is blown up behind the LOS and is pretty much a "meh" RB. Culliver is hurt, and Miller is a nice find, only because he had to do more in the offense due to Baalke not being able to find any WR to contribute this season.

Like Madden said, you can replace the suit instead of a HC like Harbaugh. So far, if there was a choice: Harbaugh, and there are enough posts in thread as why.

You know someone is reaching for excuses with Baalke when they try to compare his drafts to Walsh's . How many HOF players is Baalke responsible for? TIA.

ETA: Louie Delmas has been cut a few times too. I can't believe you actually defended that one.
Now you're just being foolish.

Baalke hasn't drafted any HOF players because it requires players having a career and then retiring before HOF election. Can't happen in 4 years. Geeeezzzzzzzzz.

Players getting hurt (Culliver) and having personal problems (Smith) is something that the GM should have foreseen on draft day? Miller is a nice pick because he is a starter and can contribute in the passing game, giving Kaep a nice outlet.

The point of course bringing up Walsh drafts is that he missed on a ton of high picks, and all GMs will miss, but Baalke apparently isn't allowed to. You of course choose to ignore that but whatever.

Have no idea what the Delmas comment was in reference to since I haven't commented on him.

Mannigham's SF career made me peek at a few offensive as well as the players numbers since the arrival of Harbaugh. I'm gonna start first with Frank Gore. Of course Gore's best season was under Norv Turner and his offense. He was a total stud then. Even today, without Gore the 49er offense is upside down and topsy turvy. I've seen a lot of 49er football, and Frank Gore is one of my all time favorite 49er players ever.

2011 Frank Gore: New offense, supposedly geared for the run after many a talent acquisition since signing Larry Allen in 2006 to plow his way through Gore's way through Turner's offense.

15 starts, 16 games, 4.3 Y/A, 1211 yards 8 rushing TD's, 203 ATPs, 17 receptions for 133, zero TD's.

Funny thing about these stats within the offense, his reception numbers just basically died in 2011. Seriously, he was averaging almost 400 yards a season in yardage received before 2011. The backup RB's or "change of pace" RBs like Kendall Hunter had less if any impact throughout the course of the season. It's in the numbers. Gore was the most effective weapon on offense in 2011. If your QB takes 44 sacks while only tossing 17 Tds for 3000 yards with a defense that is 2nd in PA, it just shows how much more Gore can adapt to all the offenses thrown at him despite the OC and QB.

For those who believe Marcus Lattimore can replace Gore in any number is smoking some good ####. Seriously, it's total eFactor smoke laced with Matt Maiocco. Seriously, just look up the numbers of any RB numbers outside of Frank Gore during the time of Frank Gore, and they fall faster than the natural selection of the NFL.

I don't feel the need to pick on one poster, but the reason I love Bay Area press Homers is due to they reading too much of the Bay Area press. They don't know how to use numbers, and neither does those who read them. These numbers aren't predictive, unless you try to understand how they are compiled. I like simple numbers because they are simple numbers. How much more numbers do you need?

I'm gonna look at Gore and the offense in 2012 later this week. But for now, I want to talk about Gore in year one of Harbaugh. This is open to everybody, and it's key to the 49er offense going forward.

Let's talk about Frank Gore.
I love Frank Gore and admire the career he has put together in a mostly bad situation concerning the quality of his OL and having no passing game to take the pressure off stacking the box, and nowhere did I say that Lattimore would have his type of career. What I said is that Lattimore could "replace" him, as in become the starting RB in 2015. Gore isn't going to play forever, sorry to say. Lattimore was probably going to be a late 1st to mid 2nd round pick had he not been injured and if he makes a full recovery, has an excellent chance of being a very good, if not great NFL player especially if Harbaugh stays in SF.

That's all.........

Rumor is the 49ers may be interested in trading for DeSean Jackson from the Eagles. I hope they arent being serious, he would cost wayyyy too much. Now, if he came cheap, Id say hell yes, but no way thats the case.
Agree. Would be a nice addition to the offense giving them an explosive playmaker on the outside. Not at 11 million a year though........

Users who are viewing this thread